PDA

View Full Version : [PF(or any game really) When Combat Isn'

Lord.Sorasen
2012-07-18, 04:27 PM
Alright, so let's get right into this. I'm running a campaign currently, and our group hasn't quite been the best at combat at all. This isn't to say the group loses combat, but rather to say that it takes us along, long time.

Case in point, last session, the team ended up fighting against some cannibals. 4 Level 1 barbarians and their leader (who ran before risking his or their lives, really) against 4 player characters at level 2 and an NPC at level 3 (I didn't intend to include the NPC in the "party" but the players like this NPC enough that they insisted he join them). Anyway, this battle took what seemed like years and was in reality a couple hours. Admittedly our focuses weren't perfect, but this is just as much a testament to the long tedious nature of the battle as it is of anything else.

The reality is, the campaign I'm running is prewritten and is about to take a turn from its "wander around nature and ask questions about the world" and go into a "giant dungeon fight for your lives" type of thing. I remember in the first campaign I ever ran (I've run 4 campaigns if you include the two that lasted 2 sessions) that going through many room dungeons was absolutely a ton of fun, and I'd like to be able to recreate this experience with my new group... Yet I'm not entirely certain how to do it, or even what's different. I suppose I could try to list some things for completion's sake, I never know what information might be useful.

This is a new group from the one I played with before. Maybe combat just isn't our thing? (though I asked the players and they still seem semi-interested in combat in general from smaller fights we've done. We all agree this last battle was terrible.)
a
a
a