PDA

View Full Version : how to build a lawbot

brutticusforce
2012-07-18, 05:00 PM
okay, so i need some help realizing a build, and although Im told i have the heart of an optimiser (compliment? or not) I am not as familiar with 3.5 as i am with other systems (oWoD and 4e come to mind). So i have a concept, and I want some help realizing it mechanically.

My friend started up a cityscape campaign. I was torn between various concepts, and elected to run warforged fighter. 7's initial concept was he was a veteran of some of the most brutal fighting of the war of a militaristic neighboring city state. He left and went to the setting. As a foil to the other, more criminal elements of our party, i elected to make him a member of the Watch, and one of the few non dirty members on it at that. Fit in with general concept of my soldier who clings to order and law at the expense of everything else.

So far the campaign has really focused on this aspect of 7s character, far more than I had ever anticipated. 7 has also started acting as more of a foil to the more evil members of the party than i expected. And to that end, I decided i wanted to make that mechanical. Is there a prestige class that will help me get what i want?

So far I have two fighter levels down. I want to focus on this "lawman" concept. Two levels in urban variant ranger? Theres a prestige class in heroes of light called Detective, which i like for some things and dislike for others. I love the massive numbers of skill points it would net 7 and it would fit his concept. The fact that its not combat focused doesnt worry me, but the d6 hd does, a bit. I was looking in the direction of the warforged paladin racial levels, but im not entire sold. i liked the idea of warforged juggernaut and reforged (2 level dip into each).Should i look in a different direction? are there any other prcs that might warrant some consideration after? Feat suggestions?

Any help is appreciated

Zonugal
2012-07-18, 05:24 PM
Lawful Incarnate?

Kuulvheysoon
2012-07-18, 05:43 PM
Lawful Incarnate?

This. If you shape the Incarnate Avatar, you literally have the shadow of a marut (inevitable) surrounding you.

Although with a d6 hitdie, you basically need only Constitution, so you'll have a huge amount of hit points. And the soulmelds can stand in for effective skill points as they can grant huge bonuses.

WeeFreeMen
2012-07-18, 05:48 PM
What role do you want your "Law-Bot" to fill?
Tank?
Striker?
Party-Face?
etc. (trying to use some 4.0 terms for you)

Also, what are you allowed to use in 3.5?
Also, are you allowed Pathfinder Material: I only ask because it opens up a few more options for you as a fighter or Paladin.

If you are going Tank I recommend Fighter/Juggernaut/Warblade
Striker Id say the same thing with different maneuvers.

However, you mentioned detective. in PF there is a Detective-like ACF for Rouge. Fighter/Rouge/Justicar would be "Watch" like.

eggs
2012-07-18, 05:54 PM
Law Incarnates are hard to do well.
But Law Incarnate/Law Domain Clerics with Law Devotion are weirdly effective, especially for a build that sounds like a joke.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-18, 06:01 PM
But Law Incarnate/Law Domain Clerics/Sapphire Hierarchs with Law Devotion are weirdly effective, especially for a build that sounds like a joke.

Added the bit you missed there.

eggs
2012-07-18, 06:06 PM
Well, yeah. But way to kill the theme. :smalltongue:

Kuulvheysoon
2012-07-18, 08:57 PM
But Law Incarnate/Law Domain Clerics with Law Devotion are weirdly effective, especially for a build that sounds like a joke.

Funny enough, unless you take Law Devotion as a feat, they don't qualify for Sapphire Hierarch, which requires access to the Law Domain.

Slipperychicken
2012-07-18, 08:59 PM
Maybe there's an Inevitable progression lying around somewhere. I'm playing a Warforged DMM: Persist Cleric and it's working out all right. Persisting Fly is fun. The feats you spend on Extra Turning will mean that your combat style will be "Think about casting a spell, then hit it again, power attacking".

Crusader can be sweet, and Warforged are a decent race for them (+Con, free light fortification, list of immunities). The class isn't tied to a particular god or church, so you don't have to worry about turning on your organization if they don't meet your standards.

To solve the "no armor" issue, a Warforged Component Psychoactive Skin of Ectoplasmic Armor (costs 3k. Like full plate, but doesn't take up a slot or reduce speed. In Expanded Psionics, I think) will serve you well, save you a feat, and legitimately be a part of your body. Rules on Warforged Components are in Eberron Campaign Setting (can't be removed without your consent, and is considered a part of you, for no extra cost). Make all your magic items Warforged Components if possible, so no one can take them from you, or use them without your consent.

eggs
2012-07-18, 09:55 PM
Funny enough, unless you take Law Devotion as a feat, they don't qualify for Sapphire Hierarch, which requires access to the Law Domain.
Well, that or swap out Pact domain to leave feat slots free for Law Inviolate or Spell Focus (Law).

And possibly Aberrant Reach (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXhuso4OTG4). :smalltongue:

brutticusforce
2012-07-18, 10:53 PM
What role do you want your "Law-Bot" to fill?
Tank?
Striker?
Party-Face?
etc. (trying to use some 4.0 terms for you)

Also, what are you allowed to use in 3.5?
Also, are you allowed Pathfinder Material: I only ask because it opens up a few more options for you as a fighter or Paladin.

If you are going Tank I recommend Fighter/Juggernaut/Warblade
Striker Id say the same thing with different maneuvers.

However, you mentioned detective. in PF there is a Detective-like ACF for Rouge. Fighter/Rouge/Justicar would be "Watch" like.

for what we are allowed to use, the DM allows us to use anything in core, completes, and yes Bo9s. He will probably consider any d20 supplement (so, for instance, heroes of light and champions of darkness, d20 sword and sorcery books from the ravenloft setting.) he also said hed have a look at any homebrew i brought him.

When i built 7, in envisioned a tank with some striking utility. But now that we are playing and have had one combat in two 6 hour sessions, id like for 7 to have some out of combat utility also, particularly some that fit in with his narrative purpose.