PDA

View Full Version : AH! Please help me.

metabolicjosh
2012-07-18, 08:14 PM
UPDATE 1: IS THERE A WAY TO GET SOMEONES FLESH FROM ACID?
UPDATE 2: How do you over come a DEAD MAGIC ZONE.
UPDATE 3: I plan on using REINCARNATION.

Ok so my familiar just died along with my cohort.
I was in a hallway with a pit WITH ACID and they were falling.
He said that i had to roll str to get them up. So
Crit
Crit
Ligit too.
I had a plus 26 on this.

So i realize that this is based on belief and i say "Im going to keep pulling but i don't see my rolls helping" He said that they fell and that it was based on how many rolls i made to show my persistence. WTF i just said that i was going to keep trying! He even said that the rolls didn't matter.

Anxe
2012-07-18, 08:23 PM
English isn't your first language is it?

Anyways, you can get someone else to cast True Resurrection for you. That's a bit pricey, but it doesn't require the bodies and it negates the level loss from death! You can also fly, climb, or teleport to the bottom of the pit and retrieve their bodies. Then a Raise Dead or Resurrection can be performed giving them one lost level. I'm not sure how the level loss would affect your familiar. It probably wouldn't.

Hope that helped.

JoeYounger
2012-07-18, 08:24 PM
limited wish for a raise dead to get your cohort back. Eat the loss on your familiar.

SamBurke
2012-07-18, 08:25 PM
You're at level 18. Raise Dead should be easy.

metabolicjosh
2012-07-18, 08:33 PM
The bodies melted in acid.
Furthermore, English is my native language.
Angry writing is not.

Anxe
2012-07-18, 08:39 PM
Alright, my bad.

Hmmm... Polymorph Any Object the acid. That'll turn it into something you can carry to a cleric. Since part of the remains are still around, he should be able to do a resurrection. Your DM might still say no to this one.

Or you could add some base to the acid to neutralize it. Then it'll just be water. You can take it out with a bead of dryness. Go to your local cleric once again.

This trick will probably only work for the cohort or the familiar as the "remains" will probably be consumed by the resurrection spell.

Psyren
2012-07-18, 08:52 PM
Your familiar should be either flying, incorporeal, or stashed in your familiar pocket when you don't need it, especially at those levels.

I'm more concerned about your DM, who it seems is out to get you.

LadyLexi
2012-07-18, 08:55 PM
Cohorts get replaced in a few months by the rules of leadership, if the DM is saying you'd have a -2 for "causing the death of a cohort" then I can see the reason for revival.

Familiars are terrible, I usually won't summon one because the XP hit is annoying.

metabolicjosh
2012-07-18, 08:55 PM
The Familiar was also my other cohort. So she helps alot. (She is a Dragon turned Human)
Besides she is a good source for the groups moral bonuses.
Empathetic link you say... JK xD

Malimar
2012-07-18, 09:10 PM
He said that i had to roll str to get them up. So
Crit
Crit
Ligit too.
I had a plus 26 on this.

There's no critical success (or automatic failure) for skill or ability checks. Those weren't "crit"s, they were just 20s.

That said, I can't see a DC of >46 as being plausible for just pulling people out of a pit. If something was actively pulling or holding them down or something, then it might be plausible. Otherwise, your DM may just be out to get you and fudging the difficulties.

As for your actual question: yeah, buying some True Resurrections is probably the way to go.

The Redwolf
2012-07-18, 09:11 PM
Tell your DM off because that's ridiculous of them not to mention unfair, with those rolls you didn't need to be persistent because you would have yanked them up by then and he clearly just wanted to screw you over if he said that the rolls didn't matter. He's being unfair and you should call him out on it.

metabolicjosh
2012-07-18, 09:20 PM
he said that if i don't roll i don't believe.
Is there any way i can screw with him in game at least?

kharmakazy
2012-07-18, 09:46 PM

Every line your character says from now on had better be a Naruto quote.

metabolicjosh
2012-07-18, 09:49 PM
OMG NARUTO HAHAHA!!!
Thats a good one. But anything else gameplay wise?

Hiro Protagonest
2012-07-18, 09:49 PM
Every line your character says from now on had better be a Naruto quote.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail is also acceptable.

The Redwolf
2012-07-18, 09:54 PM
OMG NARUTO HAHAHA!!!
Thats a good one. But anything else gameplay wise?

Do something he hates, like make it a major point of what you're doing. We ran an entire campaign in the past of the world we were on that ended with us summoning the demons that have been recurring antagonists to our DM in other campaigns, and he didn't know we were doing it until we actually summoned them. Find something he hates and do it in a dramatic and awesome way.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-07-18, 09:57 PM
Monty Python and the Holy Grail is also acceptable.

Neep!

I once had a rogue-type who spoke like Jack Sparrow (Captain Jack Sparrow, that is) all the time.

amazingly, he survived for nearly 5 levels. :smalltongue:

metabolicjosh
2012-07-18, 10:10 PM
Can anyone give me hints of how to get them back?

VGLordR2
2012-07-18, 10:25 PM

You could always take a Psion cohort, and have him do this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7959007&postcount=10).

Gavinfoxx
2012-07-18, 10:43 PM
Remember if you dilute an acid with a base... it ends up as REALLY HOT water.

Thump
2012-07-18, 10:45 PM

First off, it's your character. To the DM if he sees this: Oh, I'm sorry. This is HIS CHARACTER. He decides what his player says, thinks and does. You can choose if his actions succeed. That's it. And the fact that you fudged a simple DC >25 check to pull both his cohort and his familiar? I would find a new DM at that point, possibly throwing the Rules Compendium/DMG at his general direction as well.

That being said, I'd recommend finding a new DM. Take sane players with you.

crazyhedgewizrd
2012-07-18, 10:54 PM
Remember if you dilute an acid with a base... it ends up as REALLY HOT water.

Not really, but you do get some water from the reaction and by no means is it hot.

metabolicjosh
2012-07-18, 11:08 PM
There one problem. It was in a ANTIMAGIC FIELD!!!! WHY!!!!
is there a way to get the remains?
I want to reincarnate my familiar so that she gets to be my cohort to...
But i need her body or at least part of it.

Gavinfoxx
2012-07-18, 11:13 PM
It sounds like the DM wanted to kill your character and/or your familiar, and broke several rules (both game rules, and rules of etiquette and good DMing) to do it.

Do you have any idea why he might have done that?

Anxe
2012-07-18, 11:30 PM
Not really, but you do get some water from the reaction and by no means is it hot.

It would be hot. Acid-base neutralization is exothermic.

metabolicjosh
2012-07-18, 11:31 PM
Because he always gets upset that i use 'Cheese' Even though im only the 3rd strongest in are group of 5.

Gavinfoxx
2012-07-18, 11:31 PM
Because he always gets upset that i use 'Cheese' Even though im only the 3rd strongest in are group of 5.

So... why are you playing with him?

Psyren
2012-07-18, 11:37 PM

Starting up an arms race really isn't going to help either of you.

metabolicjosh
2012-07-18, 11:42 PM
So... why are you playing with him?
He is the only 3.5 DM anywhere near me.

Gavinfoxx
2012-07-18, 11:43 PM
He is the only 3.5 DM anywhere near me.

So?

No gaming is better than bad gaming.

Or run a 3.5e game.

Or switch to pathfinder; there are probably a good amount of people who will DM that around you.

Or use play by post for 3.5e gaming.

metabolicjosh
2012-07-18, 11:46 PM
Ok where would i go to play by post?

Gavinfoxx
2012-07-18, 11:49 PM
http://www.dndonlinegames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=280
http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/community/campaigns/recruitment
http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141&sy=3
http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?13-Recruiting-Office-Find-and-Post-New-Games
http://www.enworld.org/forum/gamers-seeking-gamers/
http://forum.rpg.net/forumdisplay.php?32-Recruitment-and-Meta-Threads
http://www.unlimitedrpgs.com/forums2/viewforum.php?f=131
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?board=20.0
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51

And make sure to leave his game!

metabolicjosh
2012-07-18, 11:53 PM
Im going to take your advice under consideration. I will probably stay but be a passive. My friends still play.

Gavinfoxx
2012-07-18, 11:56 PM
So find some other time to socialize with them. Seriously, it isn't worth it.

Astral Avenger
2012-07-18, 11:59 PM

Cheese (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869366/The_most_powerful_character._EVER.) when distilled to it's purest essence

Pay the *explicative* back :biggrin:

crazyhedgewizrd
2012-07-19, 12:05 AM
It would be hot. Acid-base neutralization is exothermic.

Dont forget endothermic reactions. I generally forget about thermic reactions due to the fact i mainly use organic acids which dont have much of a thermic reaction.

metabolicjosh
2012-07-19, 12:06 AM
No! Pun-pun!

metabolicjosh
2012-07-19, 12:07 AM
IS THERE a way to get the body im not in chem yet!

Psyren
2012-07-19, 12:12 AM
True Rez or two Wishes will do it. If the DM denies both, cast Bigby's Expressive Single Digit and play Xbox until he's willing to let you participate again.

Kavurcen
2012-07-19, 12:13 AM
Don't quit just yet.
There's an app a guide for that.
www.criticalmiss.com/issue10/CompSmeg1.html

kharmakazy
2012-07-19, 12:18 AM
Is there even anything in the rules that says acid actually dissolves bodies? I don't think there is. Just fish them out.

Acid

Corrosive acids deals 1d6 points of damage per round of exposure except in the case of total immersion (such as into a vat of acid), which deals 10d6 points of damage per round. An attack with acid, such as from a hurled vial or a monster's spittle, counts as a round of exposure. The fumes from most acids are inhaled poisons. Those who come close enough to a large body of acid to dunk a creature in it must make a DC 13 Fortitude save or take 1 point of Constitution damage. All such characters must make a second save 1 minute later or take another 1d4 points of Constitution damage.

Creatures immune to acid's caustic properties might still drown in it if they are totally immersed (see Drowning).

Nothing in the acid rules says anything about their bodies being destroyed.

metabolicjosh
2012-07-19, 12:35 AM
Well i know this doesn't help me but i think that acid damage would destroy the bodies over time. Like how a swallow whole works because Stomach ACID anyone.

Psyren
2012-07-19, 12:42 AM
Nothing in the acid rules says anything about their bodies being destroyed.

Corpses are objects and have no hardness. They will therefore take the "immersion" acid damage every round until they are destroyed.

What isn't clear is how long that will take to happen, since there are no statistics for corpses per se.

metabolicjosh
2012-07-19, 12:50 AM
could i use limited wish to transport the body to me? Its in a dead magic zone...
Maybe i could use reincarnate because my familiar is a dragon and if i get her to be a half elf or other i would have a sweet new cohort.

Gavinfoxx
2012-07-19, 01:03 AM
Exactly how large is this dead magic zone?

metabolicjosh
2012-07-19, 01:04 AM
about 50 feet across?

kharmakazy
2012-07-19, 01:30 AM
What kind of dragon? It may well have been immune to acid to start with.

Also, where do you get a dragon familiar?

metabolicjosh
2012-07-19, 01:32 AM
Gold Dragon so immunr to fire.
And... um dragonomicon I believe.

kharmakazy
2012-07-19, 01:38 AM
Corpses are objects and have no hardness. They will therefore take the "immersion" acid damage every round until they are destroyed.

What isn't clear is how long that will take to happen, since there are no statistics for corpses per se.

You know what else doesn't have hardness and is immersed in acid? Acid. Acid has no specified immunity to acid.

Also the pit I guess.

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-19, 02:30 AM
Funny how in the bad players thread we were just saying that actively trying to piss off your DM is a bad trait.

Umbranar
2012-07-19, 02:42 AM
Cohorts get replaced in a few months by the rules of leadership, if the DM is saying you'd have a -2 for "causing the death of a cohort" then I can see the reason for revival.

Familiars are terrible, I usually won't summon one because the XP hit is annoying.

I basicly only take a familiar for the bonus saves and cast Familiar Pocket every day to keep it out of harms way. Sometimes I RP abit with it but I never ever use it to deliver attacks...thats where Spectral hand is for.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-19, 03:01 AM
Drop a disjunction on his amf. If he's playing by the rules, you have a X% chance of breaking the amf, where X is your cl. You should be able to lay down a couple a day.

For that matter, you could disjoin his next bbeg. It's a douche-bag move, but at this point, playing nice is already out the window.

The second comment is a knee-jerk on my part. You should sit down and have a civil discussion about how he's made a bad call and why that sort of thing isn't acceptable. If he insists on being ... unpleasant ... then you pull the disjunction on his pet NPC right before you leave the game.

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-19, 05:20 AM
Why don't you simply use true ressurrection?

JoeYounger
2012-07-19, 06:43 AM
Why don't you simply use true ressurrection?

I don't think he actually wants his buddies back. I told him on the second post that if he doesn't have money or a cleric to true res that he could limited wish to get around needing the body to cast raise dead. It's a cohort, it will catch back up quick.

Glarnog
2012-07-19, 06:51 AM
Life is too short for antagonistic gaming. Never worth it. Move on.

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-19, 06:54 AM
I don't think he actually wants his buddies back. I told him on the second post that if he doesn't have money or a cleric to true res that he could limited wish to get around needing the body to cast raise dead. It's a cohort, it will catch back up quick.

He needs help for what, then? :smallconfused:

whibla
2012-07-19, 06:56 AM
Can anyone give me hints of how to get them back?

Teeth, unlike bones and flesh, do not dissolve in acid, and all you need for a reincarnate is a piece of their original body. A single tooth will suffice.

The 0th level spell Mage Hand can lift any unattended object under 5 pounds, and move it up to 15' per round (well, 30' if you have a free action concentrate, but that's beside the point).

Seems to me that, other than your DM, there's really no problem here...

*EDIT* Just scrolled back up and read the bit about the pool being in a dead magic zone. Scratch the Mage Hand. Get a long, glass pole, with a cup / beaker attached to the end. Any glass blower (alchemist's supply shop) should be able to knock one out in less than an hour. Go fishing...

CTrees
2012-07-19, 07:26 AM
By a pair of True Ressurections. Doesn't require the bodies, doesn't care about anti-magic fields. Why is this still an open question?

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-19, 08:14 AM
By a pair of True Ressurections. Doesn't require the bodies, doesn't care about anti-magic fields. Why is this still an open question?

My guess is that it's still open because most people focused on telling him to quit his game instead of giving him advice. It's becoming more and more frequent around here.
"Something bad happened to your character?! Quit the game now!!"

Psyren
2012-07-19, 08:45 AM
You know what else doesn't have hardness and is immersed in acid? Acid. Acid has no specified immunity to acid.

Also the pit I guess.

But acid can't be destroyed while corpses can. So even if you rule that the acid is constantly damaging itself, nothing will come of it.

Teeth, unlike bones and flesh, do not dissolve in acid, and all you need for a reincarnate is a piece of their original body. A single tooth will suffice.

Teeth don't dissolve in acid? How do cavities work then?

My guess is that it's still open because most people focused on telling him to quit his game instead of giving him advice. It's becoming more and more frequent around here.
"Something bad happened to your character?! Quit the game now!!"

1) We gave him plenty of advice for the actual situation.

2) The DM's ruling here is merely a symptom of the larger problem. Why allow a roll at all if a 19 is a failure? Why allow multiple rolls at all, then penalize the player for multiple rolls? And above all, why allow rolls if they "don't matter?" The DM is being a jerk.

metabolicjosh
2012-07-19, 10:27 AM
So far i dont have a way to get the bodies out of the DEAD MAGIC zone

But the teeth is very helpful! Now how do i get them?

whibla
2012-07-19, 10:29 AM

Maybe the difference between the cost of a Raise Dead / Reincarnate vs. a True Resurrection has some bearing on the matter. Or the availability of those spells (9th/7th level vs. 17th level caster required).

Teeth don't dissolve in acid? How do cavities work then?

A very good question, and a valid point.

I was going by the real life case of the acid-bath murders, where the victim's teeth had to be destroyed by pulverising them, as the acid wasn't of sufficient strength to dissolve them, unlike the rest of the corpse, flesh, bones etc. Granted though, this is a specific instance, and not really a basis to make a general assumption from.

In D&D terms though, maybe plaque / bacterial acid functions like the Flux Adept's Bitter Tides ability: "For each minute that she touches an item (such as ropes or shackles binding her, or a wooden door that blocks her path), her acidic sweat ignores 1 point of the object's hardness." Continual exposure will eventually wear the enamal down. Brushing regularly, on the other hand, seems to mitigate virtually all the damage. You'll also note that the reason that sinks in Chemistry labs are made of enamel, as opposed to metal, is because of its acid resistance properties.

The DM is being a jerk.

Indeed, this does sound to be the case, though, tbf, we have only heard one side of the story...

*EDIT*

Did you read the rest of the post? Long glass pole, cup on the end, go fish them out...

metabolicjosh
2012-07-19, 10:31 AM
I can't cast true resurection! Can i?
No cleric

Psyren
2012-07-19, 10:48 AM
I can't cast true resurection! Can i?
No cleric

Go find one and pay him; you have years to do so.

You can even search the planes if you like. It could be another adventure in itself.

kitcik
2012-07-19, 11:30 AM
Here's my question:

Reading all of the above posts, as a DM, would you be at least slightly tempted to dissolve this guy's dragon familiar in acid in a dead magic zone?

The Redwolf
2012-07-19, 11:57 AM
Funny how in the bad players thread we were just saying that actively trying to piss off your DM is a bad trait.

I think there should be exceptions to that though, like when the DM goes out of his way to do the same to you and ignores the aspect of the game being fun and many rules just to do it.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-19, 12:09 PM
Important question: Dead magic area or stretched-out AMF? There are ways to undo both, but they're different and fairly rare.

You could call an acid-immune outsider with one of the planar binding/ ally line.

kharmakazy
2012-07-19, 12:56 PM
But acid can't be destroyed

Uh oh guys. Turns out that acid is the only thing in the universe that can't be destroyed!

What possibly gave you the idea that acid can't be destroyed? You know what is really good at destroying acid? Baking soda.

Psyren
2012-07-19, 01:00 PM
Uh oh guys. Turns out that acid is the only thing in the universe that can't be destroyed!

What possibly gave you the idea that acid can't be destroyed? You know what is really good at destroying acid? Baking soda.

I was referring to D&D actually. You can purify/transmute acid, or displace/remove it, but not destroy it.

Besides which, you're not attempting to use baking soda, you're saying the acid itself will destroy itself. Which is about as sensible as emptying your swimming pool with rain.

kharmakazy
2012-07-19, 01:25 PM
I was referring to D&D actually. You can purify/transmute acid, or displace/remove it, but not destroy it.

Besides which, you're not attempting to use baking soda, you're saying the acid itself will destroy itself. Which is about as sensible as emptying your swimming pool with rain.

Is acid an object? Then it can be destroyed. What is your rationale for saying acid can't be destroyed in the system? Not having HP or hardness listed? Bodies don't have those either.

CTrees
2012-07-19, 02:09 PM
What is your rationale for saying acid can't be destroyed in the system? Not having HP or hardness listed? Bodies don't have those either.

Bodies: Nature's greatest building material :xykon:

Psyren
2012-07-19, 02:24 PM
Is acid an object? Then it can be destroyed. What is your rationale for saying acid can't be destroyed in the system? Not having HP or hardness listed? Bodies don't have those either.

It's not so much that it can't be destroyed, but that there is no functional difference if it is. If a creature or object is destroyed by acid, you are left with acid. What is left when acid is "destroyed" by acid? The answer is the same, acid.

So even following this RAW-logic, it won't help his situation. The acid will continually devour the acid leaving acid behind, which will simultaneously be devouring the corpses he's trying to retrieve since they are immersed too. He'll still have a pool of acid to deal with, whether or not the pool is continually damaging itself. Yo dawg etc.

So my earlier statement would be more accurate as "acid can't be destroyed by more acid."

kharmakazy
2012-07-19, 03:19 PM
It's not so much that it can't be destroyed, but that there is no functional difference if it is. If a creature or object is destroyed by acid, you are left with acid.

Yeah, that isn't true. If a creature is "destroyed" by acid you are left with goop. Acid doesn't just work forever.

No functional difference if it is? Destroyed acid ceases being acidic in the same way destroyed bodies cease being useful for resurrections.

Psyren
2012-07-19, 03:39 PM
Yeah, that isn't true. If a creature is "destroyed" by acid you are left with goop. Acid doesn't just work forever.

Hold on now - are we talking RAW, or real-world chemistry? You can't have it both ways.

By RAW, acid traps work forever no matter how much crap you put in them. There are no rules for acid becoming "goop." You could dump a whole tribe of trolls in the pit and then simply wait for a bit. By chemistry, acid doesn't destroy acid. Either way, your scenario doesn't work.

No functional difference if it is? Destroyed acid ceases being acidic in the same way destroyed bodies cease being useful for resurrections.

But how are you destroying it? More acid won't work, because once the acid destroys the acid you are left with acid.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-19, 04:39 PM

Acid's not an object, it's a substance. Objects and substances are two seperate things in D&D. Substances can be created or destroyed by magic or other substances, or become objects if they freeze, but cannot be damaged or destroyed like objects because the system isn't that granular.

A body has hp roughly equal to twice its former racial HD (1 if it had none because it advanced by class levels) in d12's. It has ac equal to what it would have if it were still alive, but paralyzed and lacking racial features. Hardness is generally guestimated by DM. (I'd probably put a human corpse around 2 or 3) After all, isn't a corpse just an inanimate zombie?

kharmakazy
2012-07-19, 04:59 PM
Acid's not an object, it's a substance. Objects and substances are two seperate things in D&D. Substances can be created or destroyed by magic or other substances, or become objects if they freeze, but cannot be damaged or destroyed like objects because the system isn't that granular.

A body has hp roughly equal to twice its former racial HD (1 if it had none because it advanced by class levels) in d12's. It has ac equal to what it would have if it were still alive, but paralyzed and lacking racial features. Hardness is generally guestimated by DM. (I'd probably put a human corpse around 2 or 3) After all, isn't a corpse just an inanimate zombie?

I'd be interested in seeing a source for literally any of that. Especially the object vs substance bit....

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-19, 05:34 PM
I'd be interested in seeing a source for literally any of that. Especially the object vs substance bit....

The stats I gave for corpses are just an extrapolation from what a zombie is. I freely admit to having nothing to back it up.

The substance v object isn't explicitly stated anywhere, but I defy you to show me a single instance of any liquid or gas having hp or hardness. Further there are rules specific to each substance listed in whatever book it's found in. Alchemists fire, for example, is consumed within a couple of rounds by exposure to air. There are no other ways listed to harm it, and it has neither hardness nor hp. Acid also has specific rules listed in the dmg. They include nothing whatsoever about how it can be damaged or destroyed, but certain spells specifically affect acid. Frostburn has a general rule for freezing potions and alchemical items in a sidebar in ch1. Naturally these frozen substances would take on the hardness and hp for ice listed in the same book. I'm also pretty sure that Stormwrack has rules for colddamage causing water to freeze.

JoeYounger
2012-07-19, 05:51 PM
He needs help for what, then? :smallconfused:
Well, at first I really thought he just wanted a chance to bitch about his DM.

So far i dont have a way to get the bodies out of the DEAD MAGIC zone

One last time... IT BEING A DEAD MAGIC ZONE WILL NOT STOP YOU FROM CASTING LIMITED WISH TO DUPLICATE A RAISE DEAD TO BRING YOUR FRIEND BACK FROM THE DEAD. LIMITED WISH ONLY REQUIRES THE MATERIAL COMPONENTS IF THEY ARE WORTH MORE THAN 1000gp AND NO ONE IS GOING TO SAY THAT THIS GUYS TOENAIL IS WORTH MORE THAN THAT.

And saying teeth don't dissolve in acid? I'd like a source for that. You can dissolve a tooth in a cup of mt dew.

kharmakazy
2012-07-19, 06:40 PM
The stats I gave for corpses are just an extrapolation from what a zombie is. I freely admit to having nothing to back it up.

The substance v object isn't explicitly stated anywhere, but I defy you to show me a single instance of any liquid or gas having hp or hardness. Further there are rules specific to each substance listed in whatever book it's found in. Alchemists fire, for example, is consumed within a couple of rounds by exposure to air. There are no other ways listed to harm it, and it has neither hardness nor hp. Acid also has specific rules listed in the dmg. They include nothing whatsoever about how it can be damaged or destroyed, but certain spells specifically affect acid. Frostburn has a general rule for freezing potions and alchemical items in a sidebar in ch1. Naturally these frozen substances would take on the hardness and hp for ice listed in the same book. I'm also pretty sure that Stormwrack has rules for colddamage causing water to freeze.

Oh, ok. So you were literally just making everything you said up since nothing anywhere says anything like that.

A substance is just what something is made of. Adamantine is a substance. Your equation of substance to liquids is entirely baseless.

Here is something though, if not actual RAW

Anything that lacks Charisma and Wisdom scores is an object

Does that acid have charisma or wisdom scores?

But seriously it was a joke. No sane DM is going to rule that acid destroys acid. If you just want to argue the rules of it though I'm pretty sure the silly reading wins out.

metabolicjosh
2012-07-19, 06:52 PM
The body counts as a component?
Because the raise dead says it needs 5000 gP in gold dust.
I thought that I might be able to use an action point to use initiate of blabla to get magic that pierces dead magic zone. Then limited wish the body to me?

Gavinfoxx
2012-07-19, 07:14 PM
The dead magic zone will not stop you from raising the dead. It has nothing to do with it. You aren't casting the raise dead anywhere near that dead magic zone. You don't need the body or anything like that, either. You are substituting the components of the Limited Wish for the Raise Dead; the Limited Wish's requirements override those of the Raise Dead, is what people have been saying. So all you need is a single Limited Wish to pretend to be a (better version of) Raise Dead.

Unless I am misunderstanding things?

mootoall
2012-07-19, 07:29 PM
Just pay a Cleric to cast a couple of True Resurrections. It's not expensive, and doesn't require the bodies.

metabolicjosh
2012-07-19, 07:34 PM
Well ok ill ask if i can do that...
He will likely say no though.

Gavinfoxx
2012-07-19, 07:40 PM
Here's how you do it.

First, you find the most powerful casty cleric you can, ask the people, in character, "Is there a priest here capable of casting ninth circle divine magics? I wish to speak with such an august person."

And only raise the idea that you want this person to cast a true resurrection, for which you will pay and quest and be in his debt as appropriate, AFTER you are talking to a cleric who can obviously cast it.

metabolicjosh
2012-07-19, 07:47 PM
We have kinda reached a point were no one will cast true res for us.
The necromancer was a butt to every church we ever met.

Gavinfoxx
2012-07-19, 07:51 PM
...You see, these are important, relevant things for you to tell us!

Find an Evil Cleric of the god of necromancy that the necromancer follows to cast True Resurrection for you, then.

metabolicjosh
2012-07-19, 07:53 PM
OK then what would i have to pay him?

Gavinfoxx
2012-07-19, 08:07 PM
Whatever he demands. Probably also a service rendered, favor, etc.

Of course, if you are asking for the price of spellcasting services in general?

That's here:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm

But that is how normal people interact with the economy, when the DM just wants to 'subtract x money, get y spell'. You aren't normal people. And this isn't a normal situation. And that spellcaster is not a normal person either...

At the very least, 25k for the diamonds + the cost of spellcasting services.

You ARE staying relatively close to wealth by level, aren't you (it's a chart in the DMG. Look it up)?

metabolicjosh
2012-07-19, 10:11 PM
um.... lets just say that we have a millionaire in the party.

Psyren
2012-07-20, 08:10 AM
Then you can afford it and the only issue is finding a cleric that can cast it.

Again, you have years to conduct your search and it won't matter that they died in a dead magic zone, TR actually reconstructs them on the spot (provided they are willing to return.)

The Redwolf
2012-07-20, 10:47 AM
Then you can afford it and the only issue is finding a cleric that can cast it.

Again, you have years to conduct your search and it won't matter that they died in a dead magic zone, TR actually reconstructs them on the spot (provided they are willing to return.)

Considering the way in which his DM killed them off he'll likely say they aren't willing to return either.

Psyren
2012-07-20, 12:12 PM
Considering the way in which his DM killed them off he'll likely say they aren't willing to return either.

At which point the OP can simply say "Ok DM, what DO you want me to do?" And based on that response decide if this group is worth his time or not.