PDA

View Full Version : Help finding an old sourcebook

avakeiya
2012-07-18, 08:56 PM
Hi, I'm trying to find an old D&D book about fortress and empire building. The first half talked about how to build a fort or stronghold, while the second half towards the end explained in detail various empire positions, such as foreign ambassadress, head of spy network, head of public works, minister of health, and minister of magic. Each one position had a skill that could be used such as spy minister of health being able to alert the populace of plagues or the public relations guy ordering festivals to keep the masses happy. I believe it also detailed various groups such as peasants, middle class, and nobles and how keeping good relations with each affected your control of the country.

Its not cityscape or the Stronghold builder's guide, the former lists general city positions while the later only cover how to build, assault, and take over strongholds. I'm really looking for it for the empire/country building aspect.

hope the description helps to identify the book.

Hida Reju
2012-07-18, 09:43 PM
Could it have been a Birthright sourcebook or perhaps 3rd party?

avakeiya
2012-07-18, 10:12 PM
It may be a 3rd party book, I'm not sure. I got a copy of the Stronghold builders book and it seemed familiar. Maybe its a an upgraded version of it?

I'm really looking more for the country/empire building portion, and i might have just mixed up the two. I just don't know.

eggs
2012-07-18, 10:22 PM
In AEG's d20 run, they had a pretty good splat called Empire. And that would definitely count as old.

avakeiya
2012-07-18, 10:27 PM
AEG? What does that stand for, i haven't memorized all abbreviations used in the forum.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-18, 10:34 PM
AEG? What does that stand for, i haven't memorized all abbreviations used in the forum.

AEG is a publisher.

On topic: Maybe it was Power of Faerun?

eggs
2012-07-18, 10:42 PM
Alderac Entertainment Group.

They printed a bunch of relatively high-quality D&D sourcebooks during the d20 craze in the early 2000s. One of the more popular ones was called "Empire," which sounds more or less like the book you're describing.

Saintheart
2012-07-18, 10:43 PM
Slightly OT: for mechanics, I rather like the rules for building kingdoms out of Pathfinder's Kingmaker Adventure Path.

avakeiya
2012-07-18, 11:10 PM
Nope, not the AEG Empire, still a good find but not the one i;m looking for.

Its an older book, so 2nd edition might also apply.

deuxhero
2012-07-19, 01:31 AM
Slightly OT: for mechanics, I rather like the rules for building kingdoms out of Pathfinder's Kingmaker Adventure Path.

I THINK these are getting updated in a 2013 book.

whibla
2012-07-19, 09:22 AM
The Castle Guide (2nd Ed.) included much of this, but not everything you describe, and certainly not to the level of detail you describe. Also, not in the order you describe.

I did briefly wonder about Gary Gygax's World Builder, but unless you like reading lists... And again, no great detail in there.

Likewise, Legends and Lairs' City Works doesn't seem to fit the bill, nor does the updated version Cityscape.

Well, that's me out of ideas. The only one that comes close is the first one, and even that doesn't seem a perfect fit for what you describe. Ah well, at least I have eliminated some possibilities...:smallannoyed:

avakeiya
2012-07-19, 10:09 AM
Yup, close but no cigar. I remember the format of the book and the political stuff was after the how to build section. Also the Castle guide didn't look right in its page layout nor convey the detail I remember.

The closest one was the Stronghold Builders guide but it completely lacked the components of a country part.

Oh well, narrowing down the possibilities. Thanks for the input:smallsmile:

Togo
2012-07-19, 10:28 AM
The birthright material is about running kingdoms, but notably lacks any rules for playing ministers, and all the administration is in abstract.

There was a lot of material on running kingdoms in the old Companion level D&D rules. Could that be it?

Zherog
2012-07-19, 12:21 PM
Do you remember anything about what the cover looked like? Whether it was hard- or soft-back?

avakeiya
2012-07-19, 01:27 PM
I don't remember if it was hard or soft covered, but I vaguely remember the title alluding to both d20 construction rules and building an empire or kingdom, not just one or the other.

Agent 451
2012-07-19, 02:25 PM
Could the Book of Strongholds and Dynasties (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/1875/The-Book-of-Strongholds-%26-Dynasties?it=1), by Mongoose Publishing, be what you're looking for?

whibla
2012-07-19, 03:09 PM
Could the Book of Strongholds and Dynasties (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/1875/The-Book-of-Strongholds-%26-Dynasties?it=1), by Mongoose Publishing, be what you're looking for?

Gah, how did I miss that one...

If that's not it I'll eat my dice-bag!

Good call.

Kansaschaser
2012-07-19, 03:22 PM

Good call.

For some reason I'm hoping that's the wrong book now. :smallwink:

avakeiya
2012-07-19, 04:53 PM

Good call.

Sorry whibla, but Agent 451 was right. Everything I remember, right down to the cover art. Enjoy your meal:smalltongue:

Thanks for the help, this has been driving me crazy for days.

:biggrin:MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:biggrin: