PDA

View Full Version : Vile Deeds and Exalted Darkness

2012-07-18, 10:35 PM
Just a fun experiment I think might be interesting.

This is a little challenge to create a character that combines some of the best aspects of good and evil, drawn from TBoED and TBoVD. How would you do it? All source books allowed, no homebrew, RAW, and Dragon magazine only if absolutely necessary. Your goal is to have a character (good, evil, or neutral) which thematically and technically combines abilities and rules given in the source books for extreme good and evil. Maybe your a misguided Cleric of Pelor who swore a vow of poverty, but sacrifices demons to gain divine favor. Or perhaps your a twisted demonologist who has taken a sacred vow so you have fewer distractions from your studies.

Basically, have fun with it. I'm working on one myself XD should be fun to see what everyone comes up with.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-18, 10:39 PM
Umm.... Don't 95% of the options in either of those pretty much preclude you from choosing 95% of the options in the other?

Flickerdart
2012-07-18, 10:47 PM
You don't really want to use content from those. Malconvoker is where you want to be.

INoKnowNames
2012-07-18, 10:47 PM
Considering both sides get kinda pissy if you cast spells from the opposite side, if you wanted to do the Cleric route, your best bet would be as a "the end justifies the mean" Neutral Cleric, combining both Light and Darkness for your ultimate goal... most likely a Lawful Cleric, creating a genuine, equal utopia. Be light and dark themed, with either a blend of abilities, or dark special abilities and light spells / light special abilities and dark spells.

And you would be voiced by Peter Cullen. Or maybe Christopher Sabat.

Namfuak
2012-07-18, 10:53 PM
A Lawful Good cleric who uses Eternity of Torture on (evil) victims until they agree to an atonement spell.

A cleric of Pelor of the Burning Hate.

LanSlyde
2012-10-09, 01:33 PM
A Lawful Good cleric who uses Eternity of Torture on (evil) victims until they agree to an atonement spell.

A cleric of Pelor of the Burning Hate.

+1 Cleric of the Burning Hate, I always found the Pelor disconcerting to begin with. But yeah, if you want RAW make a neutral cleric who upholds the idea of the 'Burning Hate'. That should give you plenty of light and darkness to play with.

Madara
2012-10-09, 05:14 PM
+1 Cleric of the Burning Hate, I always found the Pelor disconcerting to begin with. But yeah, if you want RAW make a neutral cleric who upholds the idea of the 'Burning Hate'. That should give you plenty of light and darkness to play with.

I actually find the Burning Hate to be more exciting than traditional Pelor. If WotC were to make that one of the sects of Pelor in an officail material....I would be pleased :smallsmile:

eggs
2012-10-09, 05:56 PM
An Evil character can use most of the BoED rules and abilities (channeling, ravages, CL-boosting components), and summon about half the monsters in that book (barring an alignment restriction like the Cleric's). Just mix in some sacrifices, soul-bartering and hivemindery and you'll have things mixed well.

A Good Malconvoker with Words of Creation is an Exalted Character with free reign to summon/bind a lot of very evil things with its spells. It might not be able to use eg. possession rules on its own, but it can bind a demon that can. I'm not enthusiastic about Malconvoker as some, but it's high enough power that you could probably pull off VoP if you stick with a casting class that doesn't rely on a spell/prayerbook.

Sith_Happens
2012-10-09, 06:01 PM
/thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13938635&postcount=17):smallcool:

Sgt. Cookie
2012-10-09, 06:16 PM
Off topic, but the NCoEP are justifiably evil. After all it's a magic item that activly encourages self-mutilation.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-09, 08:37 PM
Off topic, but the NCoEP are justifiably evil. After all it's a magic item that activly encourages self-mutilation.

Except that self-mutilation isn't evil. Just common amongst evil characters.

animewatcha
2012-10-09, 09:47 PM
Why not gather as much info as you can about the burning hate aspect of Pelor. Basically enough to determine portfolios, domains, etc. Heretic of the faith feat for cleric of pelor the burning hate.

Arcanist
2012-10-09, 09:53 PM
I actually find the Burning Hate to be more exciting than traditional Pelor. If WotC were to make that one of the sects of Pelor in an officail material....I would be pleased :smallsmile:

I'm still looking for an Online stating / Optimization of the Burning Hate himself :smallamused:

I want to use him for an Epic Campaign one day, but due to a lack of actual stats (and I doubt I can do him justice) he is unbeatable...

toapat
2012-10-09, 10:13 PM
I'm still looking for an Online stating / Optimization of the Burning Hate himself :smallamused:

I want to use him for an Epic Campaign one day, but due to a lack of actual stats (and I doubt I can do him justice) he is unbeatable...

the original Burning Hate topic has his ADnD2.5 statblock

Sgt. Cookie
2012-10-10, 12:13 PM
Except that self-mutilation isn't evil. Just common amongst evil characters.

"Make a will save to stop yourself from cutting off a finger... Now make a harder will save to not cut off another one."

And so on, and so forth. It's justifiably evil not for people who willingly wear them, but for people who are forced to wear them, and are then left near a large number of sharp objects.

PersonMan
2012-10-10, 01:12 PM
"Make a will save to stop yourself from cutting off a finger... Now make a harder will save to not cut off another one."

And so on, and so forth. It's justifiably evil not for people who willingly wear them, but for people who are forced to wear them, and are then left near a large number of sharp objects.

Unless this is in the actual stats (I don't know, I haven't read the item's actual description), I'd say this is in the realm of 'this makes no sense'. Adventurers pass on comforts and the like all the time (At level 4 or so you enter the realm of 'retire and be rich for 50 years or buy another sword?'), so why make 'don't kill yourself just because it feels good' harder to resist than, say...a command to stab yourself while Dominated?

Slipperychicken
2012-10-10, 03:21 PM

The Nipple Clamp does not force Will saves. As it should be.

And by the logic you're using here, we should have to make ever-harder Will saves to resist jerking off every 5 seconds, because it feels good. This is absurd, since it is not so difficult to resist pleasurable things; some people spend their whole lives doing so.

Water_Bear
2012-10-10, 04:48 PM
Well any Neutral prepared spellcaster can cast both Corrupt (no restrictions) and Sanctified ("Evil characters cannot cast Sanctified spells...") spells. In addition, the optional material components lists from both books aren't limited in what alignments can use them, and some of them are actually decent.

Slipperychicken
2012-10-10, 05:14 PM
Well any Neutral prepared spellcaster can cast both Corrupt (no restrictions) and Sanctified ("Evil characters cannot cast Sanctified spells...") spells. In addition, the optional material components lists from both books aren't limited in what alignments can use them, and some of them are actually decent.

:smallannoyed::smalleek::smallconfused: :smallbiggrin:

...All BoED has to say on the matter is, and this part is important, "willing to utterly devote themselves to good". You don't need to be devoted to Good at all, or even have a Good alignment, to cast Sanctified spells. Just being willing to do so is enough.

SANCTIFIED MAGIC
For those willing to utterly devote themselves to good,
great power awaits in the form of sanctified magic.
These spells require a great sacrifice from the caster in
exchange for powerful results...

EDIT: Well, okay, it might not be all that important, since it could be considered fluff and not rules text..