PDA

View Full Version : Zombie Apocalypse (3.5) - OOC

Pages : 1 [2]

Techwarrior
2013-01-19, 04:24 PM
Yea, I was the sole survivor of that little adventure. I didn't even get a level out of it though. :smallfrown:

CowMasterTrojan
2013-01-20, 01:30 PM
Based on those rolls, the only way this scrying failed is if he made his will save. But with a natural 11 and a +3 bonus, that seems highly possible. Did he make it?

Techwarrior
2013-01-21, 01:16 AM
Srying details are up. He didn't make his save.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-01-28, 09:52 PM
So... details of the burial?

Techwarrior
2013-01-29, 03:21 AM
Sorry about that... Could have sworn I'd thrown up the update.. I'll do that now.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-01-30, 02:48 PM
When the PC's are finally leaving, is it clear Puck is coming with them? Is puck even coming with them? If I were in his position, I don't know that I would.

Obscurejones
2013-01-30, 03:23 PM
Puck's tagging along for the sake of the adventure. They've piqued his interest, so to speak. He likes the idea of being around the good guys. He also specifically sought out this region to help with its problems. So He's got good reason to stick with the people who seem most effective.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-01-30, 03:41 PM
If Garren's master is telling the truth, I think 'who the good guys are' have become pretty grey. Personally it would be much more convenient to find out he's lying.

Techwarrior
2013-02-03, 02:21 PM
^ I feel like I'm accomplishing something. :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, lets get actions from everyone. Thrag's up first, then Viseris, then Matthew, then Puck. Everyone make 1 reactive Spot check when posting their actions.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-02-13, 02:00 PM
I think we lost Vaseris and puck

Techwarrior
2013-02-14, 06:25 AM
Thrag
Garren and Wolf
Viseris
Matthew
Puck
Zombies

I sent Nevinz and Obscure a PM. If they haven't responded by the end of today I'll see what I can about deciding what to do about their disappearance. Again. :smallannoyed:

CowMasterTrojan
2013-02-14, 11:41 AM
I'm not positive, but with the darkness it makes us unable to charge. Is that correct?

So I tried to spur the horse to get to the zombies in one move, and failed.
Easy links for everyone.
Heavy Warhorse (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/horse.htm#warhorseHeavy)
Ride (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/ride.htm)
Rules of the game: Ride (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050125a)

Techwarrior
2013-02-14, 02:00 PM
You and your mount can't charge, but if the house takes a double move you can still make a single melee attack. Horses are awesome like that. Which zombie did Thrag attack?

I'll write up Garren's turn and <sigh> Viseris's as well.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-02-14, 04:55 PM
I don't think that's right, but I'm not going to argue.

Thrag would attack the one in I4.

Techwarrior
2013-02-15, 06:09 PM
Well my PHB stipulates that your horse takes actions separately from you. It also stipulates that you get your own actions. It then states that if you move more than 10 feet you can't make a Full Attack with a melee weapon. Nothing says you can't have your horse double move and then make an attack. Was there an errata to that?

Also, CowMaster, can you stipulate how much you Power Attack for from now on?

ForzaFiori
2013-02-15, 06:29 PM
Every enemy I face does half my health or more in the first attack. What happens if a dead guy dies?

Techwarrior
2013-02-15, 07:07 PM
Well, first any magic items you had that activate right before death would activate...

Undead are destroyed at 0 hp, short of Limited Wish or similar, Mat would be dead permanently.

Note that the attacks directed at Mat are simply readied. If you want to know what they're readied against, you'd have to make a successful Sense Motive check.

ForzaFiori
2013-02-15, 07:49 PM
Oh, ok. I thought they had just attacked. That makes me happy. lol

CowMasterTrojan
2013-02-15, 07:56 PM
Well my PHB stipulates that your horse takes actions separately from you. It also stipulates that you get your own actions. It then states that if you move more than 10 feet you can't make a Full Attack with a melee weapon. Nothing says you can't have your horse double move and then make an attack. Was there an errata to that?

Also, CowMaster, can you stipulate how much you Power Attack for from now on?
As I said, I don't think it's right. But there's nothing that's clear on the matter. Somewhere among the rules, it is stated that you use a move action to make the mount take it's move action. It's implied, but not written, through various means that you have to make ride checks to not be using direct actions to make your mount do the same action. IE standard for standard, move for move. Of course this only implies to mounted creatures of animal intelligence, as more intelligent creatures can move independently.

Regardless, the rules pertaining to Ride isn't well written and different pieces of information is found in different places. So your ruling is final word and I wasn't trying make an argument from it, so my apologies on that.

As for power attack :smalleek: Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder to use it. I will make a point to mention when I am using it too. For the remainder of the fight I will be using at least a -1 penalty while I'm still mounted, since we have a +1 to hit from being mounted anyway. So if I forget to mention it, that's what modifier I should be using.

As for the heavy warhorse, is it safe to assume they attack along with us if we command it? When I write my post up in a minute, I will make the rolls but if not then just let me know and I won't roll them again.

Techwarrior
2013-02-15, 08:18 PM
Yea, I agree. They are kind of poorly written. Here's my understanding of them, and how I've been running with them.

1. Is your mount trained for war?
Yes: Continue to 2
No: To control your horse, you must a DC 20 Ride check. If you succeed, you can take a Standard action this round. Otherwise this check is a full-round action.

2. Can you guide you horse with your knees? DC 5 Ride check is a success
Yes: You may use both of your hands this round.
No: You can only use one hand this round, the other hand controls your mount.

3. Is your mount going to move?
Yes: This alters the way your actions take place, if your mount moves more than 5 feet, you can only make 1 melee attack. If your mount moves farther than its speed you take a penalty to ranged attacks and might need to make a Concentration to cast spells.

4. Do you want your war-trained mount to attack?
Yes: This is a free action, but you must succeed at a DC 15 ride check to do so, and must also attack in the round.

5. Did your mount charge?
Yes: Your AC goes down by 2, and you gain the benefits of charging.

I'd prefer, to streamline events, if you only made 1 Ride check and base all of your Ride-related things during your turn off that check. Yes, your warhorse can attack with you, but you have to make the appropriate checks for it.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-02-15, 08:35 PM
Yep, forgot the Ride check in my rolls.

Ride check [roll0]
Too bad I don't have a military saddle.

Techwarrior
2013-02-16, 10:55 PM
Ok, I'm gonna ask around, and if I don't get anything by the end of the weekend, I'll post another rerecruiting thread.

ForzaFiori
2013-02-16, 11:24 PM
I think I need to change Matthew's nicknamed from the Blessed to the Cursed. I've already died once, and I've missed probably 75% of my attacks. :smallsigh:

Also, Techwarrior: I have that ring that does something to my radiant abilities. Doubt it really matters right now, but it may come in handy later.

Techwarrior
2013-02-16, 11:44 PM
Actually, since your actions preempted their readied attacks, it actually does matter.

It does seem to be going that way for you. The dice gods really don't seem to like you. I'd ask for Concentration since the sword guy interrupted you, but you missed.

Obscurejones
2013-02-17, 12:32 AM
Sorry I've been slightly absent. Trying to figure out when Puck can/should act.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-02-17, 12:40 AM
I think he just accidentally skipped over your turn, going from Matthew to the zombies. So you can go now, before I go, if you want.

Techwarrior
2013-02-17, 12:40 AM
Right now actually. :smallwink:

Edit: Barbarians don't even have Hide OR Move Silently, how did you just ninja me!!!

CowMasterTrojan
2013-02-17, 01:16 AM
For having a pretty pathetic initiative modifier, I seem to always have a pretty good result. So I blame thank the luck gods.

Snowbluff
2013-02-17, 07:30 PM
Hi, I'll just leave my interest here. I would like to warn you I am inclined to do something silly. Like Pyrokinetist, My Top-Secret d6 Warlock (It's beyond dumb), or a Soulknife. :smalltongue:

CowMasterTrojan
2013-02-18, 12:43 AM
Are we still looking for more new guys Tech Warrior? If yes, I know a good player that I can pm who is looking for the same thing.

Techwarrior
2013-02-18, 01:30 AM
Yup, another would be good. Obscure and Snowbluff would bring us to 4, but I prefer to run with 5.

Pulling up character creation info, the others will be 3 at the end of this encounter, so I'll let the newbies roll up level 3 characters.
Level 3
500 gp
max hp at first, average thereafter (alternately rounded up, then down)

Paladins may use Wisdom in place of Charisma for all features except Turn Undead.

Deities
Ehryan (Chaotic Good)- Goddess of the Wind, Sky, and the Hunt (Air, Chaos, Travel, Good) her favored weapon is the Longbow.

Soleskus Roskadius Ro (Chaotic Neutral)- Lord of the Flames (Fire, Destruction, Chaos, Strength) his favored weapon is the Longsword

Auronia (Neutral Good)- Lady of the Sea (Water, Good, Healing, Protection) her favored weapon is the Rapier

Ultonyac (Lawful Neutral)- Champion of Stone (Earth, Law, Strength, Protection) his favored weapon is the Maul

Svirian (True Neutral)- Viscountess of the Desert (Sun, Strength, Fire, War) her favored weapon is the Scimitar.

Yllan (Neutral Evil)- Queen of the Hells (Death, Destruction, Darkness, Evil)

Other deities will come up later, as some are secretive about their agendas. More information about any of these new deities is available upon request.

Prepublished deities that are already in:
Hextor
Heironeous
Khord
Vecna
Pelor
St. Cuthbert
Corellan Larethian
Gruumsh
Gaarl Glittergold
Yondalla

Sources
Complete Series
PHB 1 and 2
DMG
MM1

the following sources are EXLICITLY BANNED:
Tome of Battle
Anything using the Psionics subsystem

If you want to play a Soulknife Snowbluff, I'd look into the Pathfinder version, reverse engineered for 3.5 (like the skills). I'll lean towards saying yes for things you want outside of my listed sources, I just don't want to say use ALL the books, because that tends to cause problems. Besides, I don't have all the books anyway.

Nevinz
2013-02-18, 04:02 AM
Alright I don't mean to be disrupting plans or anything but I have a profuse apology to make. For reasons regarding my poorly managed subscriptions (which are bad), I did not know things were happening again in this game.

If you want me to bow out and other people come in, that's fine. But I was not replying because I didn't know anything was happening...and honestly wasn't paying good enough attention to realize it anyway. If you want me to return, I can do that, and I'll be properly active. Just need to fix those subscriptions.

Totally up to you guys though. I know how lame it is having a bum party member.

Snowbluff
2013-02-18, 10:36 AM
No ToB? *shakes fist at sky* Honestly, that would not be silly enough for me.

It seems your PCs all have some LA. Did you have some rules set up for that?

Techwarrior
2013-02-20, 02:44 AM
Yup, LA reduces your point buy. LA 1 takes you down to 25 points, base is 32... Anything more than that and I'd have to dig around for the rules.

Update will come later today while I'm not paying attention to Chemistry anyway.

Step on up Nevinz, no need to be shy. I'm glad to have ya back at least.

CowMaster, did you get a hold of your friend? I'd be willing to take them up as well if they want.

Nevinz
2013-02-20, 02:46 AM
Aaaaaand I come back in to a critical miss. Serves me right I suppose :P

CowMasterTrojan
2013-02-20, 02:50 AM
Yup, LA reduces your point buy. LA 1 takes you down to 25 points, base is 32... Anything more than that and I'd have to dig around for the rules.

Update will come later today while I'm not paying attention to Chemistry anyway.

Step on up Nevinz, no need to be shy. I'm glad to have ya back at least.

CowMaster, did you get a hold of your friend? I'd be willing to take them up as well if they want.

I did indeed. He said he would PM you, but he must have been scared off because we got a fifth player back. Oh well.:smallconfused:

Snowbluff
2013-02-20, 09:38 AM
Kk. Could everyone please tell me what you are all going for? I don't want to make a Ranger if the Scout is Swift Hunter, for example.:smallsmile:

I think I might play a Binder...

ForzaFiori
2013-02-20, 03:24 PM
Assuming Matthew doesn't die (again) I'm gonna have him go full Radiant.

Nevinz
2013-02-20, 03:42 PM
I am in fact going for Swift Hunter, although it is one of my later feats (I don't get it until level six). I wish I could get it earlier, but I need things like Rapid Reload and Crossbow Sniper first, so I can do more than 1d6 damage. Stupid feat taxes.

Obscurejones
2013-02-20, 03:47 PM
Matthew pulls his horse back, putting some space between himself and the zombies. Raising his holy symbol in his hand, muttering prayers under his breath. His glow brightens, and a sudden wind blows past him from the southwest. As it moves past Matthew, it pulls the glow with it, turning into a flame as it tears through the zombies.

5' step (diagonally back/left)
then using Solar Wind - it operates as gust of wind (except instantaneous). I'm aiming the 50' line at J6, which I think will make it hit all three zombies. They each take [roll0] damage, fortitude for half

I think you might be running over Puck. I also think Techwarrior didn't notice that Puck moved.

ForzaFiori
2013-02-20, 04:07 PM
I knew you had moved, but saw that you weren't behind me on the map and thought it was OK. I'll delete that post and put up a new one in just a minute. Gotta decide what I'm gonna do.

Edit: Just realized, casting mage armor on Matthew didn't do anything - It's a +4 armor bonus, but his scalemail is already +4.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-02-20, 04:14 PM
I knew you had moved, but saw that you weren't behind me on the map and thought it was OK. I'll delete that post and put up a new one in just a minute. Gotta decide what I'm gonna do.

Edit: Just realized, casting mage armor on Matthew didn't do anything - It's a +4 armor bonus, but his scalemail is already +4.

Then how about we say you cast it on thrag? He only has a +3 bonus right now, so it would actually make a difference...

Obscurejones
2013-02-20, 04:20 PM
Well, I'll probably cast it on Thrag next. Had Puck cast it on Matthew so he'd have a force effect as armor. Applies against some touch attacks now.

TLDR; Mage Armor for Everyone! Because it's my only useful spell against Undead!

Nevinz
2013-02-20, 04:44 PM
Undead immunities are pretty lame. I can't skirmish them either (although with the critical missing I keep doing, that doesn't matter much :smallcool:)

CowMasterTrojan
2013-02-20, 04:47 PM
To be fair... I think everyone here was aware the name of the game was 'zombie apocalypse' before we entered. So we have no one to blame but ourselves.

What blows my mind is how many players we've gone through, and I don't think any of them were a cleric... or a wizard (not that it matters against undead).

Obscurejones
2013-02-20, 04:48 PM
If Puck kicks the bucket I'm going to go running through my extra books and try to find something weird and fun.

Snowbluff
2013-02-20, 04:53 PM
I am still on quest for something adequately silly. If you have any suggestions or you feel a role needs to be filled, I'd happily accept your input.

Nevinz
2013-02-20, 05:56 PM
So I am looking at the party roster right now. We have a big beefy melee guy for DPR (Thrag), a good source of ranged DPR and minor SLAs (Matthew), a crappy ranged DPR/skillmonkey (me) and a solid arcane battlefield controller (Puck). Our DPR is okay and will scale well as we level--Matthew will fall off a bit, Thrag will scale pretty well, and I will scale up a lot. In terms of save-or-dies and battlefield control, Puck will scale very well--I know what a beguiler can get away with. The key things I see missing are support spells--+saves, stat/size buffs, healing, junk like that. So if you could see your way to being a cleric or favored soul, you might consider that.

Snowbluff
2013-02-20, 06:08 PM
Sure I will set up a cleric. Favoured Souls make me cry.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-02-20, 06:12 PM
May I suggest either Ehryan or Pelor. Since both Thrag and Matthew seem to be semi-religious already.

Or if you didn't want to do cleric, Bard would work just as well.

Nevinz
2013-02-20, 06:22 PM
Why do favored souls make you cry?

Snowbluff
2013-02-20, 06:25 PM
Pelor is sounding good.

Why do favored souls make you cry?

No turning and no domains make divine caster a bad boy.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-02-20, 06:32 PM
And the best part of being a divine caster, having access to every spell ever put out in a expanded book, is lost since you only have a limited number of spells known.

They should have made the favored soul like the eurudite. Don't limit the spells known, just the number you can cast in a day.

Nevinz
2013-02-20, 06:35 PM
I was forgetting how bad favored souls actually are. They are Tier 2 on the list, but they really are way, way below clerics.

Snowbluff
2013-02-20, 07:17 PM
And that's why I'll never touch the class. :smalltongue:

So I'll be messing around with silly options. I might just use my feats to make some Incarnum happen or something.

^Requesting MoI, I guess. lol

Techwarrior
2013-02-20, 07:23 PM
I have yet to open my copy of it. What are you looking for, and I'll give it a look.

Snowbluff
2013-02-20, 07:30 PM
I have yet to open my copy of it. What are you looking for, and I'll give it a look.
The Azurin, Shape Soulmeld Feat, Extra Essentia. :smalltongue:

I was just thinking about picking up a Soulmeld or 2 for fun.

ForzaFiori
2013-02-20, 07:35 PM
May I suggest either Ehryan or Pelor. Since both Thrag and Matthew seem to be semi-religious already.

Or if you didn't want to do cleric, Bard would work just as well.

Matthew should be religious to the point of zealousness, but I don't really know how to role play it. I avoid people like that IRL, so I don't really know how they act.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-02-20, 07:38 PM
I once played a cleric who worshiped a god no one had heard of. Personally me and the DM thought the character was a lot of fun, but I think the other player in the game resented it.

You're doing it fine now.

Nevinz
2013-02-20, 07:39 PM
Matthew should be religious to the point of zealousness, but I don't really know how to role play it. I avoid people like that IRL, so I don't really know how they act. Make sure to make a lot of religious references. Like, a lot. If you go a whole post without one, it's not enough. Also, every battle involves your god.

Basically talk about your religion all the time and you're just about there.

Techwarrior
2013-02-20, 07:48 PM
Matthew should be religious to the point of zealousness, but I don't really know how to role play it. I avoid people like that IRL, so I don't really know how they act.

While the others are making good suggestions, that's how to RP a talkative zealot. :smalltongue:

The Azurin, Shape Soulmeld Feat, Extra Essentia. :smalltongue:

I was just thinking about picking up a Soulmeld or 2 for fun.

Looking now...

Techwarrior
2013-02-22, 12:09 PM
Ok Snow, I'm goign to tentatively say yes. I've never used the system, so if there's any odd loopholes that I'm missing, feel free to avoid exploiting them. I reserve my DM-size nerfbat.

@Obscurejones:
Matthew literally just lit up like a beacon right before your eyes. If you still want to cast Dancing Lights you can, but I just felt I should point it out.

Snowbluff
2013-02-22, 12:19 PM
Ok Snow, I'm goign to tentatively say yes. I've never used the system, so if there's any odd loopholes that I'm missing, feel free to avoid exploiting them. I reserve my DM-size nerfbat.

Thanks! Ironically enough, MoI is one of the least exploitable books in the game. I can't even use the Necrocarnum infinite Essentia trick as a good guy.

Thinking about Lolth-Touched as a Template, but then I would be evil... I have never played an evil Cleric before. Could be very silly.

ForzaFiori
2013-02-22, 12:19 PM
I'm pretty sure that the Matthew now hates the zombie more than anyone else, ever, thanks to that diplo roll. :smalltongue: Or would, if he didn't already think of him like that for being undead and still wearing the raiment of Pelor.

Techwarrior
2013-02-22, 12:31 PM
Evil Cleric could be quite silly, and quite exploitable, and most importantly difficult to integrate into a group where we have a religious zealot of Pelor who can Detect Evil on command. I'll have to look up Lolth-Touched when I'm back at my books.

Yea, that's not even counting a -2 if you consider Garren trying to Aid you.. (Hinder him? the rules don't specificy)

Snowbluff
2013-02-22, 01:05 PM
Yeah, it can be tricky. :smalltongue:

Lolth-Touched (MMIV) is 6 Str, 6 Con, +4 Hide and Move Silently, and Immunity to [Fear]. Not yet sure if it's worth the reduced point buy.

My other option I am thinking is Dark from ToM.

Honestly, I don't know many other +1 LA. Except for maybe being a Marrulurk with my 3 levels. (Which amounts to 2d6 SA and Death Attack; Kind of pointless versus undead).

Techwarrior
2013-02-22, 01:57 PM
I'm a pretty big fan of Zenthyri myself for +1 LA. (+2 Str, Dex, and Wis; -2 Cha, Planetouched with resist to sonic and True Strike as an SLA) Dark is pretty good also, either of those actually gives me an easy hook for your character.

+6 Str and Con? What are the drawbacks to Lolth-Touched?

Snowbluff
2013-02-22, 02:08 PM
+6 Str and Con? What are the drawbacks to Lolth-Touched?

Uh... none, unless you count the Drow-flavoring. That stuff is fluff-poison. LA should not always come with any drawbacks. It's balanced either by level or Point buy. :smalltongue:

Nevinz
2013-02-22, 07:52 PM
In terms of raw stat-boosting numbers, Lolth-touched is the best +1 template there is. In terms of pure power, I think Mineral Warrior beats it, but I was assuming stuff like...each of those...was off the table.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-02-22, 08:06 PM
Let's see, currently Thrag has a 18 str, 12 dex, and a 16 con. Each of those stats cost me 6 points to buy at a 14. Racial modifiers for goliath are +4 str, -2 dex, +2 con. I had 25 points with point buy.

If I were to add the lolth touched template, I would have only 18 points for stats instead. So I would drop my con by 4 and str by 2. (I have a 11 in Intelligence that would become a 10. No big change there.)

So after Lolth Touched, I would have a 22 Strength, Still a dex of 12, and a con of 18.

Plus immunity to fear and bonuses to hide/move silently.

Not sure if that argues for it, or against it. But I thought it was interesting.

Snowbluff
2013-02-22, 08:12 PM
Don't forget powerful build (+4 grapple/trip/bullrush, weapons size, and for other abilities) and the accelerated climbing.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-02-22, 08:13 PM
Right, but he already has those things. My point was what you lose versus what you gain.

Powerful build is the sole reason the Goliath has a LA+1, but its worth it.

Snowbluff
2013-02-22, 08:19 PM
Right, but he already has those things. My point was what you lose versus what you gain.

Powerful build is the sole reason the Goliath has a LA+1, but its worth it.

Well, you would have to compare the whole 2 packages. Goliath + Lolth-touched is not an option.The point buy lost would have an exponential penalty (Since higher scores cost more and more).

CowMasterTrojan
2013-02-22, 08:44 PM
No, the character is already built at LA+1.

The point was to designate the changes made based on the the reduction in point buy system. And the difference between a +0 LA character and a +1 character is 7 points (32-25). The difference between a +1 LA character and a +2 character is 7 points (25-18).

I wasn't comparing Goliath to Lolth touched. I was comparing a character with lolth touched to a character without one. It was simple demonstration of loss of ability scores before and after the racial modifiers.
Which is primarily relevant because the template adds two huge racial modifiers to physical attributes.

Snowbluff
2013-02-22, 08:53 PM
The point was to designate the changes made based on the the reduction in point buy system. And the difference between a +0 LA character and a +1 character is 7 points (32-25). The difference between a +1 LA character and a +2 character is 7 points (25-18).

And I am saying this comparison doesn't work for the sake of argument, because of the way the point buy works. Tech pointed out he would dig for rules, but I think a flat adjustment per LA is inadequate. :smalltongue:

If you are just fiddling with your character, then I understand.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-02-22, 09:27 PM
That would be true, except my example was a 1 to 1 point buy. Thus, it was the most favorable argument for the LA. If we took a human who actually bought their strength to 18, they could simply lower their base strength from 18 to 16. Then with the template, they end up with a strength of 22 rather than 18, and a con six higher. That's not nearly as favorable of a comparison to my example.

E6 rules on races with level adjustments (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/E6_%283.5e_Sourcebook%29/Rules#Races_with_a_Level_Adjustment)

As for making changes to my character; I'm not aware that techwarrior is letting us make changes to pre-existing characters. As I displayed, from a mechanical stand point it is entirely beneficial to have that template over a higher point build. So why wouldn't I do that if I could?

Snowbluff
2013-02-22, 09:33 PM
I was operating under the assumption only 1 LA would be allowed. Ever. I was also assuming that the Point Buy rules were inadequate (they are, since I think I could manage +4 LA for overall better than normal stats). :smalltongue:

Nevinz
2013-02-22, 10:29 PM
All the LA options are subject to approval.

I remember when I was originally making my character, I looked at the Half-Fey template. It costs +2 LA, and it doesn't give amazing stats--basically I would have rather substantially lower stats with it than without. However it grants a bunch of handy abilities (flight, some DR, a variety of useful SLAs). TW ruled that having all those abilities, even with the stat penalties, would be overkill for E8, so I had to make something else.

Personally I am inclined to think the same thing about the Lolth-Touched template--you end up with dramatically higher stats with it than without it and just doing the point buy, and it's pure upside. There's no reason not to just automatically take Lolth-Touched if you care at all about strength/con, so I think it's overpowered. But that's just me.

Snowbluff
2013-02-22, 11:34 PM
If there wasn't a definite upside, why would anyone use it? The Goliath has a 2 dex, which is easily overcome by stat assignment and the other benefits. When you compare the Goliath and Lolth Touch numerical bonuses, Lolth isn't a clear winner in all categories.

Comparing the Straight LA use (Using Half-Drow for Lolth Touched, since we can't reasonably be real Drow, and nothing else fluffs as well) :
The 2 difference in Str equates to 1 hit, with no bonus difference to damage (Powerful build), a lower 3 Trip/Grapple/Bull Rush. The biggest difference would be the con modifier, which is 2 higher.

I am not planning on using the template, but it's not sounding particularly OP.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-02-22, 11:45 PM
Except Goliath is a race, Lolth touched is a template. So they don't compare at all.

Snowbluff
2013-02-22, 11:54 PM
Except Goliath is a race, Lolth touched is a template. So they don't compare at all.Fallacious.

One of the first concerns I pointed out when asked was that fluff was an issue. Goliaths are probably not going to travel to the Underdark, earn the favor of the xenophobic Lolth, and become a Lolth-Touched.

EDIT: Who was it that suggested Bard? Don't we have undead in the party? I wouldn't be able to do much as one.

Still not sure what I am doing. :smalltongue:

CowMasterTrojan
2013-02-23, 12:08 AM
Oh, there is no doubt in my mind that there is about a .0001% chance of there ever being a lolth touched Goliath. And that's probably going to be something that was genetically altered as a slave race to the drow.

Of course, that's about the same chance of anything else having it that's not drow. Fluff wise, that was meant for drow only. Which is fitting since I think Drow is kind of a weak LA+2 race.

But to say it's fallacious to compare a race to a template? I will have to disagree there. I happen to agree with you that Goliath when compared to Lolth touched are pretty equal. But as a template, Lolth touched is a hundred times better because it can easily go on any other race. Put it on humans, and now you've got an extra feat and skill points. Put it on a elf and you have a really good warrior race. Put it on a strong heart hafling and... you get my picture. Meanwhile Goliath will always be straight forward Goliath. It's static. Therefore it's weaker than the template, which is flexible and cheap.

Yes, we have one undead character. 3 who are not undead.

Snowbluff
2013-02-23, 12:40 AM
Well, you have to remember the opportunity cost. Specific abilities like Powerful Build are harder to come than ability bonuses. Mineral Warrior would get you a lot more for your buck (NA and DR do not over lap with Goliath feature). Shadow is overpriced (speed boost and HiPs may not be worth stat loss; stealthy characters are not very good versus undead). Being an undead for 1 LA doesn't always work very well with PB (Potential Con dumping, doesn't blend with Goliath). Feral makes a pretty fierce melee template. The Lolth Touched seems to be pretty mild, since it lacks anything extraordinary past 6 Str, 6 Con.

I was saying it was fallacious to ignore the fluff. Rule #4 of building with Snowbluff is that the Dm will not ignore it, and neither should you. We are not the special snowflakes, are we? Then again, we do have a good undead... :smalltongue:

Anyway, I would have liked to be a Bard but the Undead teammate + undead enemies kind of make it not an option.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-02-23, 12:46 AM
Undead can be affected by illusions still, if that's a concern. Not much you can do about the one undead guy though.

For the record, he didn't choose to be undead. It happened in the story, so I don't think he has a LA.

Snowbluff
2013-02-23, 12:53 AM
Undead can be affected by illusions still, if that's a concern. Not much you can do about the one undead guy though.

For the record, he didn't choose to be undead. It happened in the story, so I don't think he has a LA.Well, we already have Bequiler with that spotlight already, don't we? As creative as I am with Illusions, being stuck with Silent Image most of my career does not sound very productive.

:smallconfused: Really? His stats seem to suggest an LA. At least being a necropolitan should have set him back a level... :smallsigh: Whatever. I really don't care because I can't sing at him either way. hehe

EDIT: How about a Spirit Shaman, guys? I can learn some healing spells, and maybe I can fight with some summons and fiery burst. I won't be able to turn undead, but I'll get some stuff to fight Incorporeal Undead. I think it's a better fit in terms of balance. :smallsmile:

ForzaFiori
2013-02-23, 02:18 PM
I'm not a necropolitan - I'm a human who just had the undead type put on him. lost my Con, got d12 HD (but die at 0 instead of -10), and undead immunities. It happened when I got straight destroyed in a temple. And if I ever find a chance, he'll be changing right back. It just feels wrong to play an undead worshipper of Pelor.

Snowbluff
2013-02-23, 02:22 PM
That's... only slightly different from being a Necropolitan. :smalltongue:

Though, I have to admit I am dissuaded from being a Bard when we have a perfectly serviceable Beguiler already.

Any thoughts on the Spirit Shaman?

ForzaFiori
2013-02-23, 04:11 PM
but I'm still not one. :smalltongue: Never took the template, or did the ritual for it.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-02-23, 04:29 PM
The million dollar question is, can you be turned by positive energy?

Why not play a neutral cleric that rebukes? Plenty of materials around these parts. Also, we can see if you're able to rebuke matthew:smallbiggrin:

Techwarrior
2013-02-23, 04:30 PM
Well I look away and the thread explodes. Lol.

I'm going to veto Lolth-Touched for the moment. It's stat-boni are simply too damn good for the cost.

Matthew is not Necropolitan, and apparently hopes to be fixed. I'll try and keep that in mind. :smallsmile:

That's... only slightly different from being a Necropolitan. :smalltongue:

Though, I have to admit I am dissuaded from being a Bard when we have a perfectly serviceable Beguiler already.

Any thoughts on the Spirit Shaman?

Spirit Shaman is fine. Hope to see a character soon so I can begin weaving you in.

In other news, I'll be moving this weekend, so posting will be slightly delayed.

Snowbluff
2013-02-23, 06:45 PM
Here's where my sheet will be. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=522375)

Requesting Versatile Spellcaster (Races of Dragon). I can't cheese it, due to how the Spirit Shaman's spellcasting works. Just there for longevity.

Also requesting Druid Spell list from Frostburn (Cuz I am Snowbluff), Conjure Ice Beast in particular. It's Summon Monster, but the monster's are constructs with the [Ice] subtype. It's a little stronger than the regular creatures, but they are dumber and can't fly, etc.

Also, I will not use Obscuring Snow + Snowsight.

EDIT: Looking through summoning feats to request. They are all pretty messed up. Like Ashbound, which doubles the duration of SNA (fair by itself?) and then gives a +3 luck bonus to attacks (What?). Greenbound looks pretty messed up as well. :smallfrown:

CowMasterTrojan
2013-02-28, 03:59 AM
whose turn is it currently?

Nevinz
2013-02-28, 03:12 PM
I think Matthew is up? Then Puck, then zombies.

ForzaFiori
2013-02-28, 06:40 PM
My bad. I completely lost track of this - I'll have a post up in just a moment.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-03-03, 03:54 PM
My bad. I completely lost track of this - I'll have a post up in just a moment.

No problem. Easy to overlook.

Zombies turn I believe.

Techwarrior
2013-03-07, 11:44 AM
Update tonight, I had to move unexpectedly and haven't had much time for anything.

Techwarrior
2013-03-10, 10:56 AM
@Snowbluff
Frostburn spells, Versatile Spellcaster, and Ashbound Summoning are perfectly acceptable as written. No cheese. Hook yourself up with some items, and I'll get started weaving you in.

@Everyone
Ok, midterms were this week. I'm caught up now, just can't wait till spring break... The zombies... ARE COMING!! As is plot development.

Snowbluff
2013-03-10, 11:56 AM
@Snowbluff
Frostburn spells, Versatile Spellcaster, and Ashbound Summoning are perfectly acceptable as written. No cheese. Hook yourself up with some items, and I'll get started weaving you in. :O I can be the Ice Guy. Yeah!

@Everyone
Ok, midterms were this week. I'm caught up now, just can't wait till spring break... The zombies... ARE COMING!! As is plot development.

Only one of classes has a midterm this semester... >.<

ForzaFiori
2013-03-17, 10:28 AM
I'm sorry for the short notice, but I will be away from the internet until Wednesday evening. I'm on vacation and my hotel doesn't have wifi.

Nevinz
2013-03-18, 12:54 PM
I'm a lil confused. Are there any enemies left besides the one who wants to surrender?

Techwarrior
2013-03-18, 01:03 PM
Correct. Just the paladin.
In class, will post lengthier after class.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-03-18, 03:13 PM
I finally give in and rage... and it ends up being the last round of combat. Doh!:smallamused:

That being said, if no one accepts his surrender, Thrag WILL take another swing. Raging Barbarians don't stop just because their enemies ask nicely. :smallwink:

Snowbluff
2013-03-18, 03:17 PM
So, any suggestions on what to do with 300 gp? I was thinking some alchemical stuff, but I live suggestions.

Techwarrior
2013-03-19, 01:03 PM
Partially charged wands are one of my more favored solutions to that problem Snow.

@Thrag
Gotta love how that happens. As DM, I can't say what the other players will do or say.

ForzaFiori
2013-03-20, 06:31 PM
All your's Cow Master. Matthew isn't big on mercy right now.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-04-06, 12:45 AM
So now that we've killed him, it seems like a good time to ask. Do our character's know the location he was talking about?

Techwarrior
2013-04-12, 09:15 AM
Yes, you were given directions to the caves by Vadania. Once inside the caves however, you will be up to your own selves. None of you know what a mind fish is, or why it would keep a library.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-04-12, 11:53 AM
Alright, we shall head to the caves then.

Does puck or Viseris have healing abilities?

Who has been hurt other than Thrag?

ForzaFiori
2013-04-12, 03:12 PM
Matthew's down 10 HP right now

CowMasterTrojan
2013-04-12, 04:37 PM
Does positive energy hurt you? If that's the case, we may have a problem.

Thrag is down 12. I've got this belt that Vadania gave me. I'm pretty sure it is a healing belt. So 3 charges means 2d8 to three people. It's better than nothing.

ForzaFiori
2013-04-12, 05:56 PM
That... That's an excellent point.

Anybody know how to cast inflict spells? :smallsigh:

Techwarrior
2013-04-15, 09:33 AM
With Matthew's Knowledge (Religion) he knows that positive energy should harm his body now.

It's entirely possible the now dead templar had a similar revelation and found a work-around.

Neither Puck nor Viseris have healing, and neither took damage.

ForzaFiori
2013-04-15, 10:36 AM
hm... Well, we need to search the bodies anyway. Maybe the templar has a wand of inflict light wounds or something.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-04-15, 01:15 PM
Alright, going to heal myself since no one else needs it atm. Provided it is indeed a healing belt, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong techwarrior.
1 charge spent

[roll0]
edit: And that will do it.

Do we still have snowbluff, Obscurejones, & nevin, or did we lose them? Just ask because we haven't heard from them in a bit.

Snowbluff
2013-04-15, 01:17 PM
Hi.:smallsmile:

Obscurejones
2013-04-15, 01:40 PM
Here. Just not sure what to throw in narratively at the moment.

Snowbluff
2013-04-15, 01:50 PM
So I've been thinking, and I've decided I want to purchase a mount. I've got some ride and handle animal. What mount should I buy?

Also, I totally forgot the characterization for my character past "Dislikes arcane", so this should be interesting.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-04-15, 02:10 PM
good to see you guys, just hadn't heard from you in a while so I was just wondering.

Why not a horse if you're medium sized, or a riding dog if you're small?

Nevinz
2013-04-15, 07:39 PM
Still here.
I am keeping closer tabs on this now. I don't want to afk for ages like I did before. I just haven't had stuff to contribute.
Maybe I just need to decide my character is more assertive. He stays a little too deep in the background, I think.

Techwarrior
2013-05-10, 09:45 PM
Well this is awkward.

Had a BUNCH of stuff come up IRL, but I should be able to devote time to this regularly now. Are you guys still up for continuing?

Yes, you guys got the information on the caves entrance from Vadania when you asked her to scry on... (goes to look up name)... Fernwyn.

ForzaFiori
2013-05-10, 11:03 PM
I'm up for it

CowMasterTrojan
2013-05-10, 11:36 PM
Still here. Still ready for more. :smallwink: Just set the stage.

Techwarrior
2013-05-14, 09:49 AM
Alright... Do we want to recruit again at this point, or have me DMPC the current PCs?

CowMasterTrojan
2013-05-14, 12:28 PM
I'm okay with either, as long as it leads to moving forward with the story.

My only feedback would be that making the other characters DMPCs would simply be smoother. Still, I'm okay with either.

ForzaFiori
2013-05-14, 08:28 PM
As long as we play, I don't care how it happens. DMPCs would be smoother, but extra players tends to improve games imo.

Obscurejones
2013-05-15, 09:26 AM
Gronk. Still here. Thought I posted something to that effect but glanced at this and saw my brain was liar.

Techwarrior
2013-05-15, 10:38 AM
That's good. With you three I can at least feel comfortable moving forward. Let's roll on with just the three of you for now.

How do you wish to proceed? Garren has left, you just recieved confirmation from a paladin about the devils, and the Karitryn caves await. The caves are about a four hour march from here, but it's already nighttime.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-05-15, 07:35 PM
Unless we can somehow follow the trail of Garren, I do suppose that it may be wise for us to rest before continuing onwards.

That being said, Thrag is not a spellcaster, and wants to push on unless someone suggests they rest.

Nevinz
2013-05-16, 02:06 AM
Whoops, only just got the email notification.

I'm still here also.

ForzaFiori
2013-05-16, 08:17 PM
Radiants work like warlocks, so I'm good to go all day long. That said, it is usually better to travel during the day. Unless we get attacked at night again...

Techwarrior
2013-05-20, 06:53 PM
So... Plans?

ForzaFiori
2013-05-20, 09:43 PM
march to the cave at first light and scope it out?

CowMasterTrojan
2013-05-20, 11:51 PM
Sounds like a plan. Were we supposed to hit level 3 after that fight?

Techwarrior
2013-05-23, 03:06 PM
Yes, I'll do the exact XP calculations when I get off-campus, but that did take all four of you up to the next level.

ForzaFiori
2013-05-23, 03:49 PM
Awesome. Should we level up now, or do you want us to wait til we have a full 8 hour rest or are back in town or something?

Techwarrior
2013-05-23, 05:03 PM
After you rest, you can level up.

ForzaFiori
2013-05-23, 05:10 PM
Since we're probably gonna wait til morning to head to the caves, does that mean we can do it now?

Techwarrior
2013-05-23, 05:24 PM
Yes you can. Let me know if you guys do anything other than go to sleep though.

ForzaFiori
2013-05-23, 06:12 PM
Michael's just gonna chill since I don't think he sleeps anymore...

Anyway, he's leveled up. Right now his XP is at 3000 on the sheet, until you give us an exact number.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-05-23, 08:53 PM
Well I was gonna say that the two split the watch, but if he doesn't need to sleep... (Isn't it Matthew btw?)

Thrag is leveled. Finally took a level of fighter that I've been waiting to take. Hard on the saves, but good on the offense.

Techwarrior
2013-05-23, 10:22 PM
1950 XP for everyone.

You each received 1800 for the combat (the paladin went down easier than anticipated).

You also received a Story award for gaining the knowledge from the paladin, and executing him with the blessings of Pelor. 600 (equal CR challenge)

I've been exchanging PMs with someone who wishes to play, and hope to weave them in very soon.

Updating IC now.

ForzaFiori
2013-05-23, 10:44 PM
Well I was gonna say that the two split the watch, but if he doesn't need to sleep... (Isn't it Matthew btw?)

Thrag is leveled. Finally took a level of fighter that I've been waiting to take. Hard on the saves, but good on the offense.

Yea, it is Matthew. I have another character named Michael in another game on here, and I keep getting the names confused.

Does anyone have a total for how much XP we have? When I leveled up Matthew I just changed my XP to 3000 not thinking... If not, I'll just keep it at 3000

Techwarrior
2013-05-23, 10:49 PM
You should be at 3050 right now.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-05-23, 10:49 PM
My xp was listed as 1100. So with 1950, that would be 3050xp.

ForzaFiori
2013-05-23, 11:06 PM
Thank you kindly :)

Kedyn's Crow
2013-05-24, 09:14 AM
Hey folks, looks like I'm getting in the game. Pelorian Cleric (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=574889) here. Sounds like it's going to be pretty interesting when I start trying to turn undead. Especially with greater turning...

Also, I suppose I'll talk in dark orange. I'd kinda like yellow but its a pain to read, I don't want to do that to anybody, including me.

ForzaFiori
2013-05-24, 07:38 PM
Oh fun, another Pelorite. :smallbiggrin: the zombies better start running. or shambling, I suppose.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-05-24, 07:50 PM
I've been interested for a while to see what happens when a cleric turns undead. It should be interesting.

Looks like you beat me to the post just barely ForzaFiori.

Techwarrior
2013-05-28, 03:26 PM
Bemjamin should roll Knowledge (Religion) to discern whether Matthew is Undead, though he automatically recognizes him as a Radiant of Pelor.