PDA

View Full Version : PF Inquisitor Help

Lionheart
2012-07-19, 04:57 AM
So I've made an inquisitor for a PbP game that hasn't started yet, and I just want to make sure he's any good before we actually start playing.

Here's the sheet http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=424214

I decided to go Inquisitor 3/Fighter 1, for weapon and armour proficiencies, though you can probably tell that I've struggled with my feat selection. Any advice on useful feats in particular would be really helpful

Just FYI, it was a 15 point buy and we started with only 3.5k

deuxhero
2012-07-19, 02:06 PM
I personally prefer Cleric 1 with channel smite+guided hand for yummy SADness as a dip for an Inquisitor, but that's just me,

grarrrg
2012-07-19, 10:58 PM
Well, you need to fix your Spells known for starters.
You have them down as if you had 4 levels of Inquisitor.

You don't need to take Weap Prof. Greatsword. It is a Martial Weapon and Fighter gives you Proficiency.

Might I also recommend using a Dwarf (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/dwarf)instead of Human?
+2 Con/+2 Wis/-2 Cha is comparable/better than a Human's +2 Any/+1 Skill/level.

Dwarves also get a nice Alt Favored class bonus in the Advanced Race Guide. You basically count as 1.5 Inquisitor levels for the Judgment of your choice.
Granted, this won't do much at level 4, but with the right Judgment you can really profit.
For your Damage/Fast healing/Energy Resist (choose one) you go from +1 [effect] every 3 levels, to +1 [effect] every 2.

Also, as a Dwarf-Fighter you could use the Dwarven Longhammer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/longhammer-dwarven) instead of the Greatsword.
Same base damage (2d6), and a x3 Critical (slightly worse), BUT it has Reach.

I personally prefer Cleric 1 with channel smite+guided hand for yummy SADness as a dip for an Inquisitor, but that's just me,

Cleric can be nice for those reasons, although you'd want the Channeling Scourge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/channeling-scourge) feat to make your Channeling actually, you know, USEFUL.
You also get a 2nd Domain, but only at effective level 1 (your first Cleric Domain MUST match your Inquisitor one).
Since you took the Trade Sub-Domain (Bonus on Bluff/Diplomacy/Sense Motive, may I suggest Conversion Inquisition as your Second Domain?
It lets you use WIS instead of CHA for Bluff/Diplomacy/Intimidate checks. You'd be able to dump CHA down to 7 or 8 to free up some more points.

Lionheart
2012-07-20, 08:58 AM
Thanks for your suggestions! They were really helpful.

I never even considered playing a dwarf, I don't know why but I always default to human. Plus the extra spells known that humans get as a favoured class bonus really helps, and as it stands I'm the only character with a charisma over 8 :(

DrDeth
2012-07-20, 09:02 PM
Never dip in PF. It's a trap.

Find a diety that uses a greatsword.

grarrrg
2012-07-20, 09:23 PM
Never dip in PF. It's a trap.

Find a diety that uses a greatsword.

The only deity that has Greatsword is Gorum (http://www.pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Gorum)
He's Chaotic Neutral.
Domains are Chaos, Destruction, Glory, Strength and War.

Considering the OP wanted to be LN with the Travel domain, I don't see this working.

As for dipping. It is perfectly workable to dip a class, and you can usually gain a LOT more with the right dip than you can by sticking to just one class.

Blisstake
2012-07-20, 11:13 PM
Except for the Inquisitor, really. Their growth is so quadratic, you really shouldn't dip any more than one level (and even then I wouldn't recommend it). I mean, their Judgement scales amazingly, and then your damage goes up in huge spikes when you reach Bane and Greater Bane.

Personally, I would recommend an archery build, for a few reasons:

1. You get proficiency with bows no matter what. Yay?

2. Inquisitors get very large amounts of bonus damage. The best way to take advantage of this is by getting in crap loads of attacks. Rapid Shot and Manyshot can help you there.

3. Full attack! This goes with #2, but you really have a lot more options to get in all your attacks with an archery build.

If you're set on the melee build (which is fine; it's much better to play the character you want to play than necesarily the optimal one), then I actually don't have that much advice.

Also, you really don't need charisma, unless you want it for roleplaying purposes. Dwarves are really good at Inquisiting (yes I know that's not a word)

deuxhero
2012-07-21, 01:37 AM
[QUOTE=grarrrg;13586208although you'd want the Channeling Scourge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/channeling-scourge) feat to make your Channeling actually, you know, USEFUL.[/QUOTE]

Sure it boost channeling to normal, but channeling isn't very useful on its own. Channel Smite is purely for Guided Hand's requirements.

Crasical
2012-07-21, 07:29 PM
As for dipping. It is perfectly workable to dip a class, and you can usually gain a LOT more with the right dip than you can by sticking to just one class.

Very true, but through it feels a little mean to say, if I wanted to dip six classes to get what I wanted out of my character, I would be playing vanilla 3.5....

grarrrg
2012-07-21, 07:48 PM
Very true, but through it feels a little mean to say, if I wanted to dip six classes to get what I wanted out of my character, I would be playing vanilla 3.5....

Who's dipping 6 classes?:smallredface:

At most we're discussing 1 level of Fighter (or similar) for the Weapon/Armor/Shield profs. and/or 1 level of Cleric for Channeling.
At most we'd have 1 main class, and Two 1-level dips.

Now if you WANT me to show you a 6 class dip build....:smallamused:

Vknight
2012-07-21, 07:54 PM
Got to agree with that.
Dipping can have more negatives then its worth some(most) times.
Also may I suggest the Feat Weapon Finesse unless your going pure melee

Also ranged Inquisitors there terrifying.
Judgement Bonus(+1per 3levels[2if Dwarf]+Bane(Yes)+Str(1minimum)+
Feats for increased damage and attacks.

I have a NPC Inquisitor that deals 1d8+11+Bane Damage, who has 4attacks and he's lvl8

So yeah my two cents, course I'm crazy

Cieyrin
2012-07-22, 08:48 AM
Now if you WANT me to show you a 6 class dip build....:smallamused:

I'd love to see how you dip 6 classes on a 4th level build. :smalltongue:

grarrrg
2012-07-22, 01:40 PM

A: We're talking Potential Inquisitor/whatever builds. More for when the OP levels up and such.

B: CRASICAL STARTED IT!!!

jaybird
2012-07-22, 03:15 PM

Negative LA? :smallbiggrin:

Regarding a melee Inquisitor, may I suggest Furious Focus? Takes away the Power Attack penalty on your first attack each round. Also, consider picking up Cornugon Smash when you can, it's quite impressive.

Crasical
2012-07-22, 08:30 PM
A: We're talking Potential Inquisitor/whatever builds. More for when the OP levels up and such.

B: CRASICAL STARTED IT!!!

"He started it!"? :smallbiggrin: We're really on the playground, huh.

grarrrg
2012-07-22, 08:40 PM
"He started it!"? :smallbiggrin: We're really on the playground, huh.

That's what the top of my browser says anyway...
:smalltongue: