PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Icon Arena

Private
2012-07-19, 08:54 AM
Welcome everyone to the Icon Arena! I am glad to see that you've made it this far, and I hope perhaps that you will be willing to go a little further. As you can guess, my name is Private and I would like to offer a an experience to any and all who are interested.

Concept:

Players will construct one Pathfinder character that they feel is their “Iconic” character. This character does not have to be like you, the player, but instead reflects the type of characters that you have the most interest in playing. Players will construct this character at levels 5, 10, 15, and 20 in a linear fashion, meaning that your level 10 version is just an advanced version of your level 5 character with no sort of retraining or changes, and so on.

Once characters have been submitted, there will be regular scheduled combats against various monsters and NPCs. These encounters will begin with the 5th level versions of the characters, and character will advance to 10th level after a set number of scenarios have been completed. Characters will be grouped into parties randomly and will be forced to deal with their enemies in whatever ways they see appropriate. Characters will be rewarded after each scenario based on their performance, both singularly and as a group. These rewards will most likely come in the form of equipment for your character, as you will be starting with 5th level gear, and from that point forward, all gear will be earned through combat, either as loot or rewards.

As for what sources will be allowed, given that this is an arena style endeavor, all Paizo material will be allowed. 3rd party material may also be allowed, however this will be decided on a case-by-case basis. There will be no 3.5 material allowed, much to the dismay of many. It is my opinion that these characters should reflect the Pathfinder world singularly, and represent your champion of this system.

Character Creation:
All player must follow the following guidelines when designing their characters:

1. 25 Point Buy
2. All Paizo races are allowed
3. All classes and archetypes are allowed.
4. Players can outfit their characters with typical 5th level PC wealth.

Logistics:

This arena will be hosted on Myth-Weavers (http://www.myth-weavers.com/game.php?&g=12676)so that players can easily create character sheets and link them with the game. We will ATTEMPT, when possible, to conduct the scenarios LIVE in chat, most likely on the PenandPapergames.com (http://penandpapergames.com/) chat room, as it has a built in die roller and it is free to use. When this is not possible, we will do some Play-by-Post combats. The live combats will add a degree of fun to the arena, in my opinion. It also means that we will be able to make it through more combats in a quicker fashion.

As it stands right now, each scenario will probably take 2-4 weeks to complete, given that we will need to make the parties, work out schedules to run the scenarios, rate the performances, and allocate rewards.

For now, I am solely in charge of this endeavor, however I will gladly consider any offers to help in the GM department. Otherwise I very much look forward to seeing some excited people finally getting to play that build they've always wanted to play!

If you are interested in participating in any way (playing, judging, GMing, etc.) please post here.

Hopefully the response will be good and we can get things under way shortly. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask them here and I will do my best to answer them and update this initial post as needed.

A final note: This is very much a combat/mechanics heavy concept, however players are encouraged to create names, histories, descriptions, etc. for their characters.

rweird
2012-07-19, 10:30 AM
Um, I think this should go in recruitment.

Private
2012-07-19, 10:51 AM
Um, I think this should go in recruitment.

I can make a post there if that seems like the appropriate place, however I was sort of looking at this as a type of challenge, similar to Iron Chef.

I was hoping that the minds of the optimizers would relish a chance to play their favorite builds from level 5 to 20 and actually see how they compare to other builds, varying enemies, and in diverse, random parties.

I think from that standpoint, it fits in this sub-forum.

rweird
2012-07-19, 10:57 AM
The Iron Chef is theoretical and doesn't involve combat, this would be a PbP game, and the recruitment sub-forum is for recruiting games, mainly PbP ones, though some RL games are in it.

Private
2012-07-19, 02:13 PM
Thread has been reposted in recruitment. Thanks for the advice!

SamBurke
2012-07-19, 02:16 PM
I'll take first bite. My character will be a (DM ONLY, UNLESS ALLOWED) Half-Elf Synthesist Summoner, Age 8.

Does the sheet have to be on Mythweavers, or will it be tremendously advantageous?

Novawurmson
2012-07-19, 02:31 PM
Hrm. Might enter this to make a point about a class I have beef with.

SamBurke
2012-07-19, 02:52 PM
Hrm. Might enter this to make a point about a class I have beef with.

Isn't that kind of opposite to the point?

Private
2012-07-19, 03:25 PM
This thread has been moved HERE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250077)