PDA

View Full Version : Mongolian word Translation

Alton_Utrich
2012-07-19, 12:06 PM
In trying to name a character I've searched high and low, but I can't find a translation for the Mongolian word 'voice'. I think I found forms of it in Mongolian (дуу хоолой, сонгуулийн санал) but I can't for the life of me find it in English. We have any Mongolian experts lurking about the forum?

On the off chance we do, would the name Temur'voice'tani be grammatically correct, or would I need to alter it in any way?

nedz
2012-07-19, 05:23 PM
In trying to name a character I've searched high and low, but I can't find a translation for the Mongolian word 'voice'. I think I found forms of it in Mongolian (дуу хоолой, сонгуулийн санал) but I can't for the life of me find it in English. We have any Mongolian experts lurking about the forum?

On the off chance we do, would the name Temur'voice'tani be grammatically correct, or would I need to alter it in any way?

What, you want proper Mongolian ?

This is role-playing: just make something up. My guess is that no one will ever know; but if they do know it is unlikely that they will also care.

Brother Oni
2012-07-19, 05:29 PM
Well this Mongolian romanisation website (http://mylanguages.org/mongolian_romanization.php) gives the following results:

дуу хоолой = doooo khooloy
сонгуулийн сана = songuooooliyn sana

Alternately, you could try and build your own romanisation out if this: link (http://earth-info.nga.mil/gns/html/Romanization/Romanization_Mongolian.pdf).

Inglenook
2012-07-24, 01:24 AM
Assuming the Mongolian alphabet is the same as the Russian one (which it looks to be), you could romanize it a couple ways, depending on how crazy you want it to look and how you feel about apostrophes in names.

дуу = Du, Duu, Du'u, Doo, Du'oo, etc.
хоолой = Kho'oloy, Kholoy, Kholoi, Holoy, Ho'oloi, etc.
сонгуулийн = Songu'oolyn, Songulyn, Songooleen, etc.
сана = Sana, Sanah, Saana, etc.

It's pretty open to interpretation. I personally think Songooleen Sana is kind of awesome.