PDA

View Full Version : Masters Crew OOC

FistsFullofDice
2012-07-19, 12:25 PM
This is the main OOC thread. Any out of character private questions hit me up by PM.

Sliver
2012-07-19, 12:43 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and grab Blue for speech. :smalltongue:

FistsFullofDice
2012-07-19, 12:46 PM
Stake your claim bro:smalltongue:

Sliver
2012-07-19, 01:30 PM
{table=head]Player|Char
Sliver|John Reeds (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/19463)
Griffith!|Lei Shen (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/19465)
Lionheart|Saul Hume (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/19462)
Sir_Gabes|Grim (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/19614?message=true)
savior indra|Kale Arcturus (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=428325)[/table]

So... When are we starting?

BTW, do you mind if players follow others' threads? Keeping it all OOC of course...

I'm only asking because I already found and subscribed to the rest of the threads... :smallredface:

FistsFullofDice
2012-07-19, 01:51 PM
So... When are we starting?

We are in waiting for one last background and then we are pony boy golden :smalltongue: But I am about to travel from Afghanistan to US and won't be in the states till the 22nd so it will have to wait till then :smalleek:

BTW, do you mind if players follow others' threads? Keeping it all OOC of course...

No I don't mind, this is an OOC thread for the crew. Whatever you guys are up for talking about go for it. Consider this the table talk section. I'll keep the recruiting thread just in case we manage to pick up another but these threads are our main arena from the games start.

Sliver
2012-07-19, 01:56 PM
I mean if you mind me following other IC threads (That are not mine)

FistsFullofDice
2012-07-19, 02:02 PM
I mean if you mind me following other IC threads (That are not mine)

Same response as before with the addition of ask that character. If there is any content that we need to "keep secret" it'll be PM'ed so as long as the character is fine with it I don't believe that would have a major impact on the story.

Griffith!
2012-07-19, 02:48 PM
I'm gonna reserve Dark Orchid. 'Cuz I like it, and the name is thematically appropriate.

Lionheart
2012-07-20, 02:12 AM
Hmmm, I guess I'll go with Dark red
Seems appropriate somehow...

Sliver
2012-07-20, 03:53 PM
So... While we are waiting for the start, wanna share backstories?

Here is mine!

Jonathan Reeds

Ever since John was a kid, he was taught that everything in the world happened for a reason. Those who do right, end at the right place. John admired the sacrifice and virtue of those who served the public, his dream was to become a police officer.

His parents were really proud of him when he managed to follow upon that dream. He was proud of himself. His abilities attracted a lot of cases that required some undercover work, and he excelled at those...

Until they caught up to him.

When the mob took John's parents hostages, he was cornered. Turning to his faith, he began to question his next move.

Should he go to his allies in the police and risk his parents' life, or submit to the mob's desire and work for them?

Then he realized, it's not a lose-lose situation. He can still win. He came to the mobsters with a counter offer. He'll work for them, long term. They kept his parents for a bit, until they had enough dirt on John to practically own him, but then they released them, everything was fine.

The police never new of that encounter, and his parents were sure he scared the mob into releasing them, never reported a thing. Why should they? He said he'd take care of the paperwork. Their brilliant kind son wouldn't lie...

John continued his "undercover" work for the police, feeding them meaningless information, sometimes giving them a lead that took out rival gangs or dead weight within the mob. They didn't even realize that they were helping the mob while promoting John, which only helped disguise his increased credit.

But it's not like John only did bad! No sir. With John's information of mob activity, he was able to steer the police clear of any hot zones. Yes, that was God's plan all along! John helped protect cop lives and was rewarded with money earned by the mob, which meant that they had less money to spend on other operations, which meant even more good done by his actions!

Everybody wins, especially John. Yes, he had it good.

Lionheart
2012-07-20, 07:30 PM
I guess there's no harm in it, we're all on the same side after all :P

He was always a bright lad, maybe not the most intelligent, far from the most athletic, but he always had a quick tongue.

His school years were a breeze, he worked just as hard as he needed to to achieve good grades, and would sell tuition, answers to homework and pilfered exam papers to whoever could afford his steep prices.

And everyday, he went home and waited for his deadbeat father to return from his 60 hour a week factory job. He was sick of being poor, sick of having so many people to answer to.

He got into law school with a scholarship, the rest of the money he acquired from blackmailing a teacher who had had an affair with one of his students. He didn't particularly care for the career, but the money was good, and that's all that mattered.

After passing the bar exam, Saul immediately hunted around for the highest paying clients, and joined the partnership Mill & Hobbes, a law firm that dealt almost entirely with defending mobsters.

Saul learned a few tricks from his new partners, he augmented his already impressive lawyering skills with blackmail, intimidation of the jury and straight up perjury. He also made friends with a couple of the mobsters, who taught him the basics of 'street fighting' so he could defend himself if anything 'went down'

Saul was still not content with his lot, he took on one of the mobsters, Bruce, a great neanderthal of a man, as an 'intern', really he was a bodyguard. He embezzled money from his law firm, and framed the senior partners, putting him firmly in control.

Now he's free to do whatever he wants, he has informants in the mayor's office, in the police and in the press, all firmly in his pocket. Anything he can't obtain legally, he has the cash, the muscle and the legal know-how to worm his way out of any trouble that might arise. As far as Mr. Hume is concerned, he's untouchable.

Sliver
2012-07-22, 01:53 AM
I've been looking through the other sheets and have a couple of questions.

Griffith!: Don't you need to choose a specific language and allies? Also, I understand specialty can be whatever, but the options don't seem to suggest a specific area is an option for streetwise,
Specialties: Black Market, Gangs, Rumors, Undercover Operations

And... That's it. :smalltongue:

FistsFullofDice
2012-07-22, 02:30 PM
Hey guys, back from the desert. I will be starting the game off tonight. Hope you guys are in good health and look forward to playing with you guys.

FistsFullofDice
2012-07-22, 03:42 PM
Hey guys, first post is up. Everyone is in the car and I want you to all consider what you would be doing to prep for this deal.

Lionheart
2012-07-23, 04:02 AM
Just to clarify, is the Bruce in the car with us my retainer?
Might sound like a stupid question, I just want to be sure...

FistsFullofDice
2012-07-23, 10:19 AM
Just to clarify, is the Bruce in the car with us my retainer?
Might sound like a stupid question, I just want to be sure...

Not a stupid question at all. Yes. You all and your immediate retainers are in the car and the car is in a caravan with other cars going to the deal

Sliver
2012-07-23, 10:50 AM
But Bruce isn't his retainer, right?

FistsFullofDice
2012-07-23, 11:39 AM
But Bruce isn't his retainer, right?

No, Bruce is an NPC. Your employer/ boss at this moment. If there is a mix of names I am very sorry but it won't last for long :smalltongue:

Edit: Right now we are holding off until I get a reply from G. He plays an important role in your protection so I want to make sure he has a chance to get in the action.

FistsFullofDice
2012-07-23, 11:46 AM
Hey guys while we wait I am going to do flash backs in your personal threads. Hey LH, as I told Sliver before if you can find the individual threads you can follow the other stories that are not yours. Give me a few minutes and I'll have a post up

Sir_Gabes
2012-07-26, 03:36 AM
I stake green. Can you put an asterisk next to character's names we need to roll anger frenzy for? Would make things easy.

Sir_Gabes
2012-07-26, 03:57 AM
Grim is green!

Sir_Gabes
2012-07-26, 02:56 PM
I will wait till my character gets the OK before I post in IC.

FistsFullofDice
2012-07-26, 04:48 PM
I stake green. Can you put an asterisk next to character's names we need to roll anger frenzy for? Would make things easy.

Asterisk sounds great, I'll probably just put it in a spoil though as it may distract from the story.

Sir_Gabes
2012-07-26, 11:23 PM
http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/19614?message=true

As a child, Grim was one sick puppy. He was the sort of kid who would torture insects and other animals. His dad was a chronic alcoholic and abusive to both him and his mother. Grim grew up strong and dangerous though. One day he snapped and killed his father mercilessly. As luck would have it he got away surprisingly. He was truly changed that day.

With his new found blood lust he began working as a hitman when he was around 22. He became extremely capable at destroying evidence and was extremely good at "personal" kills. The kinda kills you do to send a message. Eventually he made quite a name for himself and worked in many other criminal jobs. Interrogation and torture became another part of his job. Occasionally he would do bodyguard and hired goon work on slow weeks. But, his true passion remained.

Grim is 25. As a mortal he is completely hairless. He waxes regularly and uses a straight razor to cut any forgotten hairs. He has a square jaw and dresses in loose fitting clothes to help with weapon concealment. He has severe scars on his fingers and hands. Possibly self inflicted to destroy his fingerprints. His nose is bent out of shape slightly. He is caucasian.

This is my character for VtR. Please, don't hesitate to let me know if there is a problem. I know we're starting out mortal. I can ignore the vampire parts of my character.

Sir_Gabes
2012-07-27, 10:48 AM
So can I join?

Sliver
2012-07-27, 11:07 AM
Yes! We had a secret vote and you were approved. :smallbiggrin:

{table=head]Player|Char
Sliver|John Reeds (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/19463)
Griffith!|Lei Shen (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/19465)
Lionheart|Saul Hume (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/19462)
Sir_Gabes|Grim (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/19614?message=true)
Savior Indra|Kale Arcturus (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=428325)[/table]

So yeah, post up! I'm sure you'll have your personal IC thread soon enough too...

Sir_Gabes
2012-07-27, 11:51 AM
Yay!!! Happy days!

Added thing to my character. He is from the UK and speaks with a cockney accent.

Sir_Gabes
2012-07-27, 12:41 PM
The guy sitting next to Grim is probably another hired goon or just a guy in on the deal. Not really special or important to the story unless the ST feels that way. Could even just kill him off at some point.

FistsFullofDice
2012-07-27, 12:59 PM
Lol, I'm glad to see that everyone is getting along so we'll l:smalltongue:this is Sir_Gabes and he will be filling in so we can roll on through. I am posting in personal threads and gabes I have a pm coming your way in just a min.

Sliver
2012-07-27, 01:01 PM
I am posting in personal threads and gabes I have a pm coming your way in just a min.

It's Sir Gabes for you. Dude, learn your place! :smalltongue:

Sir_Gabes
2012-07-27, 01:11 PM
It's Sir Gabes for you. Dude, learn your place! :smalltongue:

Like a sir!

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/006/550/feel-like-a-sir-template.jpg

Sir_Gabes
2012-07-27, 03:23 PM
Oh man sliver must of watched a million mobster movies. You to fistfullofdice.

FistsFullofDice
2012-07-27, 03:33 PM
Lol, checking out the personal threads. Slivers character is going very well. Don't quiet know if it's traditional mobster of rather just gang theme but both would work.

Sir_Gabes
2012-07-27, 03:34 PM
I like it! It's going swimmingly!

Sliver
2012-07-28, 01:09 AM
Actually... Nope. Hardly seen any. Didn't even watch the Sopranos. :smalltongue:

Sliver
2012-07-28, 02:40 PM
Well, I'm glad you enjoy reading up on how my character is doing. I like your thread as well, Sir.

Actually, I'm still unsure if Greed is the most fitting Vice for John... I'm thinking of Wrath being a good option instead. Faith is a nice Virtue but I'm considering Temperance instead. Thoughts?

FistsFullofDice
2012-07-28, 03:02 PM
Wrath may not work bro, you talked down that bar scene when you could have taken them out. Will repost with more in a second... research time.

FistsFullofDice
2012-07-28, 03:54 PM
Hmm. Well not quiet greed, wrath, sloth, or gluttony. Perhaps lust as in you endulge the ability to put bad people away and keep good people safe. Lust for that ability or power. Perhaps pride as in you will do your ops your way because you know its the right way, end of story. Or envy in trying to get free, wishing you were from under the rule of others.

Sir_Gabes
2012-07-28, 07:44 PM
Well, wrath as a virtue doesn't mean you take down everyone. But, John seems more in control. Someone with wrath is more prone to angry outbursts. John seems like a don't get angry get even kinda guy.

FistsFullofDice
2012-07-28, 09:46 PM
John seems like a don't get angry get even kinda guy.

Very well put

Sir_Gabes
2012-07-30, 10:21 PM
I can't help this sinking feeling like I screwed up. I'm really hoping those 3 people just think we're slacking off inside the club. Not dead in a van and murdering people.

FistsFullofDice
2012-08-02, 12:26 AM
I can't help this sinking feeling like I screwed up. I'm really hoping those 3 people just think we're slacking off inside the club. Not dead in a van and murdering people.

Haha, don't worry about it bro. This is all to get a feel for your character. I only wanted to see what you would do to get your man, how far you would go. I'm not going to nail you to a cross for anything man. Now I might use it later on as an ST tool but its not going to be an execution. Chill out bro, just have fun with it :smallbiggrin:

Sir_Gabes
2012-08-02, 05:14 AM
Haha, don't worry about it bro. This is all to get a feel for your character. I only wanted to see what you would do to get your man, how far you would go. I'm not going to nail you to a cross for anything man. Now I might use it later on as an ST tool but its not going to be an execution. Chill out bro, just have fun with it :smallbiggrin:

Cool, I was trying to play to my virtue. My character wasn't sure if the woman was involved and didn't feel like she deserved to be killed.

Sliver
2012-08-02, 01:57 PM
Hey, welcome then Savior Indra, didn't know you already done with your character. But I see you already have an OOC thread so welcome aboard. If you don't mind linking your char and selecting a speech color, I'll add you to my super fun.

BTW, is Griffith! going to join us soon? His last few post seem to suggest he wouldn't be playing in a few other games but I got the impression wasn't planning on joining the game anyway...

FistsFullofDice
2012-08-02, 02:20 PM
Hey, welcome then Savior Indra, didn't know you already done with your character. But I see you already have an OOC thread so welcome aboard. If you don't mind linking your char and selecting a speech color, I'll add you to my super fun.

BTW, is Griffith! going to join us soon? His last few post seem to suggest he wouldn't be playing in a few other games but I got the impression wasn't planning on joining the game anyway...

Hey Sliver, Savior will be joing us during this next scene. Savior please post your background and character sheet on the OOC thread. Griffith! Contacted me and said he was very busy at home and appologized for his absence. So he can jump into the game at any time please assume that Lei is there with you at all times even if not stated. I don't know when and if he will be back but we will leave the light on for him. Worst case we plow through the story and he doesn't show and in that case I wish him the best of luck in resolving his issues and look forward to playing games with him in the future.

Sliver
2012-08-02, 02:24 PM
Yeah, I get it... Too bad though, he was the one to link me to this thread in the beginning.

Sliver
2012-08-02, 02:50 PM
Am I commandeering this game too much? I feel like John is taking a lot of charge here, especially with the last post, and I don't know if it's too much... :smallredface:

This question goes for both the ST and the players, BTW.

savior indra
2012-08-02, 03:00 PM
Hi guys!

Here is my character

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=428325

My character's backstory is in the "other notes" section.

Basic information is that he is a vigilante.

As for color....

I'll take slate grey.

FistsFullofDice
2012-08-02, 03:12 PM
In my opinion you are taking charge but you are playing a dominant character so you play it well. Everyone is playing their angles well yours just happens to be outfront. But don't worry, even if you are you are soon going to be the Childer of one hell of a Nosferatu and he will become taking command. Probably more so with you because you are dominant.

In short I think you are doing well, a strong character who was put in a very figure head spot for the last scene. Its all good bro.

savior indra
2012-08-03, 01:20 AM
Also I have a 12 hour drive to D.C. tomorrow so I won't be posting until saturday most likely.

Sliver
2012-08-03, 01:22 AM
It's alright. Batman can't be late.

So... You'll be trying to kill our team then?

savior indra
2012-08-03, 02:20 AM
possibly. It'll really depend on the general FistsfullofDice wants me to go. I'm about to have him plan something out and then have me take off running in the opposite direction.

Sir_Gabes
2012-08-03, 02:01 PM
Am I commandeering this game too much? I feel like John is taking a lot of charge here, especially with the last post, and I don't know if it's too much... :smallredface:

This question goes for both the ST and the players, BTW.

My character would probably take charge if he saw fault in your plan. He's not the kind to demand leadership. Your character seems to have the right idea. But, he won't be ordered around by anyone less than a professional. My character in fact feels like your a better leader than Bruce. That maybe he should turn to you if things go bad. But, even so my character has a chip on his shoulder. He thinks he's the best at what he does and he wouldn't listen. If someone incompetent took the reigns.

Sir_Gabes
2012-08-03, 02:07 PM
Hi guys!

Here is my character

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=428325

My character's backstory is in the "other notes" section.

Basic information is that he is a vigilante.

As for color....

I'll take slate grey.

He can't be batman. He hasn't got a 5 in investigation. Cool character either way.

I do feel that the character needs a greater variety of skills to justify the concept. Athletics might might be helpful for chasing down criminals. Larceny, is suitable. Computer would also be a great choice.

Sliver
2012-08-04, 11:47 AM
So... Are we doing a contested roll here 'cuz Kale is tailing us? Both John and Grim have a Wits+Composure pool of 6, and John is actively looking out for tails (so perhaps even a small bonus?) while Kale's Wits+Drive+Handling is 6 too (3 wits, -1 for untrained drive, +4 handling)

And it's also supposed to be rolled for every 10 minutes of tailing, and I got the impression it's not a short drive...

Sir_Gabes
2012-08-04, 02:56 PM
I'm also assuming that grim was looking out. Because, he was trying to be exceptionally careful. As my post mentioned. Also I don't think a lambourgini blends with traffic very well. If a expensive italian sports car drove past me I would certainly notice it straight away.

savior indra
2012-08-04, 04:25 PM
I'm not driving next to you guys. More like staying in the shadows and side streets, probably around 30 - 50 ft back.

FistsFullofDice
2012-08-04, 05:47 PM
Trust me, that issue won't even matter by the next post :P I know its lawful against unlawful now but your about to meet a new character that will make this scene almost solely about survival... Have fun guys

Sliver
2012-08-04, 10:37 PM
I'm not driving next to you guys. More like staying in the shadows and side streets, probably around 30 - 50 ft back.

Yes, that is called tailing. 30-50ft for car distance is not that big and yes, a car that slows down when you slow down and takes every turn you take has a chance to be noticed, especially by paranoid or careful people that are driving to make drug deals.

Tailing is a stealthy form of pursuit in which the pursuer attempts to follow a subject without being detected. Rather than depending on fast reflexes to stay close, the pursuer engages in a game of alertness with his unsuspecting opponent, hanging back just far enough to keep the subject in sight while blending in with surrounding traffic.

Are you saying that is not what you are trying to do? :smalltongue:

Also, a tailing spots car is indeed not a blending type of car and the rules specify that it offers the tailed group +3 to the contested roll. Being black doesn't make it more discrete by the way, considering I'm sure at least John and surely others would be aware that black is the most common FBI car color and wouldn't just go, "black! That probably means he's cool."

If you thought about Batman, I'm pretty sure that he never stealthed in either his Bruce identity rich sports car nor his armored dark knight car which in all versions is pretty darn noticeable in daylight.

And such a thing must not be so easy to do for your dark knight, considering you don't know how to drive.

Sir_Gabes
2012-08-04, 11:56 PM
It should be a drive+wits. Because hiding in alleys and sides streets is okay. But, if we start traveling down a straight that becomes very impractical. Remember it's day time as well and it's true. I would notice a lambourgini and spend more time going. Damn, that's a cool car, after an 30 minutes of driving, it would be like. Damn thats a cool car, why is it still following me? If you were driving a cab or an other unremarkable it would be more understandable.

Sliver
2012-08-05, 01:04 AM
Nah it makes more sense for his check to be based on dex because it's not really possible for one to hide in corners or whatever because just to get to such spots would mean he breaks line of sight. Dex would imply his smooth driving places him in the right distances to not attract attention. Something even more important here considering the owner of the fancy sports car has no skill driving it.

Sir_Gabes
2012-08-05, 01:30 AM
It would be a 4 for Dex -1 for untrained maybe an equipment bonus. It would be contested by our perception. Which, in my case is 5. + a bonus for fancy sports car. ST's call.

savior indra
2012-08-05, 08:24 AM
Dice did just say he was going to effectively screw all of us over and turn into "just make it out alive!"

Sir_Gabes
2012-08-05, 09:10 AM
Yeah, I know... I'm not really bothered by wether or not character notices you. It was just a mechanics discussion. Mechanics are rather unimportant in WoD. It's more of a free form syled game.

savior indra
2012-08-05, 09:26 AM
yeah when I run it the way i decide if an action succeeds or not is have them describe exactly what they are doing to me. If I feel it is detailed enough (and within the realm of realistic possibilities for immortal blood drinkers) than it automatically works, the dice rolls just determine to what extent.

FistsFullofDice
2012-08-05, 10:29 AM
yeah when I run it the way i decide if an action succeeds or not is have them describe exactly what they are doing to me. If I feel it is detailed enough (and within the realm of realistic possibilities for immortal blood drinkers) than it automatically works, the dice rolls just determine to what extent.

Don't you think that is a little to free form, I usually force checks for actions that would advance the players at anothers cost, or advance the others at a players cost. And to prevent derailing by someone doing silly things but that is minor.

Sliver
2012-08-05, 11:23 AM
It would seem a lot like unfair bias if one player's actions vs others succeed purely through description, especially when that player has an obvious disadvantage.

Sir_Gabes
2012-08-09, 03:46 PM
Heroes need to fail as much as they need to succeed. Batman's story with Bane would be far less interesting if batman beat the crap out of Bane and called it a night. Bane breaks his back though and he has to overcome excruciating pain and trials in order to survive. Though too much success is fine for a rpg. Too much failure is just annoying and sad. My RL DM has NPCs that 9/10 magically know everything about my character and can easily counter me. That's fine in rare instances. But, every session is depressing. Too much success and you feel like James bond. (Awesome! But, shallow and unrealistic.) Too much failure and you feel like a loser. (pointless failure that has no purpose other than to suck.)

FistsFullofDice
2012-08-09, 08:51 PM
So how do you believe checks should be made or how do you determine checks in your games. Any game running the ST system is so open to interpretation that I assume everyone has their own tastes for what they feel is fair yet allows the streamline feeling that ST is supposed to allow.

savior indra
2012-08-09, 09:10 PM
Oh no I meant that like if a character has 4 dots in stealth and narrates that he is staying in the shadows and like 30 feet back from a target while silently trying to follow him, then I generally allow him to succeed (unless i need him to fail) if he has 4 dots in stealth and wants to hide right in front of someone no matter how good the description is he still automatically fails.

I try to make it so if his character stats match up decently with what he is describing, I allow it to happen. For example a character in my current campaign has 5 dots in strength and 3 dots in vigor. He wanted to go all hulk on someone and intimidate him by chucking a car (not the most subtle way but...) given his character stats, and how he described it, I just allowed him to succeed. (he still had to roll by how much he succeeded but it was a success)

FistsFullofDice
2012-08-09, 09:57 PM
Hey guys, just an update. I am on a convoy back to my unit and should be home tommorow evening. I wanted to thank everyone for working through that sudden leave of absence. Looking forward to your impending embrace with these characters and all compliments for such fleshed out characters.

Sir_Gabes
2012-08-13, 07:07 PM
Oh no I meant that like if a character has 4 dots in stealth and narrates that he is staying in the shadows and like 30 feet back from a target while silently trying to follow him, then I generally allow him to succeed (unless i need him to fail) if he has 4 dots in stealth and wants to hide right in front of someone no matter how good the description is he still automatically fails.

I try to make it so if his character stats match up decently with what he is describing, I allow it to happen. For example a character in my current campaign has 5 dots in strength and 3 dots in vigor. He wanted to go all hulk on someone and intimidate him by chucking a car (not the most subtle way but...) given his character stats, and how he described it, I just allowed him to succeed. (he still had to roll by how much he succeeded but it was a success)

5 dots of stealth. Wow. Power gaming much? Is this from the start? I generally disallow people to bulk out singular stats and generally talk out there concept. For example one player I had wanted to be a Vietnam veteran. He bulked out his firearms to the max and didn't care about much else. To play a Vietnam veteran is fine. But, you need at least 1 dot in brawl, survival, drive, stealth. You need to have skills to justify the concept. Like I would expect a vigilante to have athletics, drive, investigation even streetwise and survival. As an example. Your character tries to sneak up on a criminal of some kind and someone happens to spot him or you botch your sneak attack. Any number of things could screw up. The criminal spots you and runs to tell his boss. You have either a foot chase or car chase or both. You character is rolling 1 dice vs the criminal's 3 to 4 dice. A vigilante, I would naturally assume could chase down a fleeing criminal and apprehend him before he has a chance to tell his boss and all the criminals start lying low. But, that being said it's not a huge deal and I'm not ST so it doesn't bother me.