PDA

View Full Version : Help with my druid

demigodus
2012-07-19, 02:39 PM
Currently I'm in a lvl 14 game, that consists of me (a Half-orc Dragonborn summoner, dragon-shaping Druid), an Wizard / Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil, an Orc Barbarian (using a racial alternate class feature that lets him eat hearts), and a Ranger / Assassin that focuses on sneaking and shooting stuff.

Sadly, the party is not exactly balanced. I can turn into a dragon, stroll into whatever terrain I feel like, summon up some monsters, and solo encounters above our CR while at a terrain disadvantage. The Wizard can pop up barriers that make her, and anyone next to her near unkillable.

The Barbarian, is kinda tough (though AC 14 is kinda bad...), and well that is about it until he eats a heart (swift action, target needs to be helpless, add CR to attacks, damage, and some other stuff).

Our Ranger/Assassin is very stealthy, but doesn't have much of a damage output.

I don't really want to ask others in the party to redo their build, or redo mine either, since these builds were made because of concepts we wanted to play. Rather, I'm curious if there are any spells I could use to support the archer and barbarian to get their damage output up to more respectable levels. Or any animal companion that could support them; I currently have an air elemental, but that is mostly so I could ride a tornado. I'm willing to switch that out if need be.

Toliudar
2012-07-19, 03:14 PM
There are lots of ways for you and the wizard to buff the others. Barkskin, Stoneskin, Haste, the Resistance line of spells, energy resistance, Mass Snake's swiftness, Spiderskin (for the assassin), and so on.

Are the players of the orc and assassin expressing some dissatisfaction with the game? If not, status quo might be okay.

Also: how'd you get an air elemental as an animal companion?

Diarmuid
2012-07-19, 03:21 PM
Elemental Companion, Complete Mage (I think).

Toliudar
2012-07-19, 03:26 PM
Ah - thanks, Diarmuid!

Psyren
2012-07-19, 03:30 PM
Yeah, AC 14 is terrible for a melee class.

But the important question is - are they having fun? If so, you have nothing to worry about.

eggs
2012-07-19, 03:51 PM
Supporting the Assassin is easy - Blind, Stun, Paralyze, Sleet Storm, Grapple your enemies, and he should be able to tear through them like wet tissue. If that's not enough, he's done something very wrong.

Does the Barbarian's AC mean there's some sort of Shock Trooper/Bansai Charge/Inspire Recklessness kind of thing going on?
Either way, tactical teleports are usually the most useful spells for Barbarian support, which is an area where the Druid spell list is notably lacking. Blindsight could be useful though, for quite a few high-level defenses.

demigodus
2012-07-19, 04:18 PM
There are lots of ways for you and the wizard to buff the others. Barkskin, Stoneskin, Haste, the Resistance line of spells, energy resistance, Mass Snake's swiftness, Spiderskin (for the assassin), and so on.

I figure there are a lot of buffs I can lay on them. I'm just curious if I could get some advice on what are some of the best ones that I could prepare for them.

Are the players of the orc and assassin expressing some dissatisfaction with the game? If not, status quo might be okay.

No, they aren't, so status quo isn't necessarily a problem. That said, I figure spending a few more spells to buff them up can't hurt.

Supporting the Assassin is easy - Blind, Stun, Paralyze, Sleet Storm, Grapple your enemies, and he should be able to tear through them like wet tissue. If that's not enough, he's done something very wrong.

Any suggested spells to get those effects? For grappling I have the kelpstrand spell (didn't work too well last session though... mostly because I rolled 1's and 2's almost every single time against the two adult dragons we were fighting). For blind, I have blinding spittle, and murderous mist. Also know there is sunbeam, but that seems a bit weak for a level 7 spell.

Does the Barbarian's AC mean there's some sort of Shock Trooper/Bansai Charge/Inspire Recklessness kind of thing going on?
Either way, tactical teleports are usually the most useful spells for Barbarian support, which is an area where the Druid spell list is notably lacking. Blindsight could be useful though, for quite a few high-level defenses.

No, his AC is 14 normally, when not raging, or using anything else to lower it. I think it comes from lack of armor. He has a build that gets bonuses as he takes more damage, so he isn't trying to avoid damage too much.

Hmmm, blindsight does look like something useful to prepare.

kitcik
2012-07-19, 04:50 PM
Summoning some flying mounts could be fun.

demigodus
2012-07-19, 04:55 PM
I have one casting of phantasmal stag at CL 18 (bead of karma) currently in my daily buff routine (for one of the two who can't fly to ride). Are there any other spells that create decent flying mounts? I don't believe Summon Nature's Ally is such a good idea with flying mounts since that can run out mid-combat...

kitcik
2012-07-19, 05:00 PM
You have long combats then.

You could also BE a flying mount, which is also kinda cool.

eggs
2012-07-19, 07:03 PM
I'm a sucker for kelpstrand and blinding spittle are probably the best. Single target's a drag, but they're low enough level to quicken pretty easily (with spell slots, metamagic rods, or circlets of rapid casting).

Level 14 is a bit late for effective summon-grappling, but on the off-chance you fight something that's not either really big, really Escape Artisty or able to cast teleport/freedom of movement, Dire Tiger summons are good (or Tyrannosaurs, if you really want to gamble on the grappling vulnerability).

As another option, Battlefield control can be construed as support, and it's something Druids do relatively well.

Bronk
2012-07-20, 06:46 AM
You might suggest the spells 'hunter's eye' and 'hunter's mercy' to your ranger/assassin teammate, and add the 'craven' feat when he can... that should help out his damage a bit.