PDA

View Full Version : Weapons of Legacy in E6

Darth_Versity
2012-07-19, 03:50 PM
So i'm running an E6 game that contains a Warblade and a Crusader. Because of this I've been interested in handing out some of the Nine Swords to add to the flavor, but obviously legacy weapons don't work so well in E6.

So I've designed a simple system that will change to rules to match the lower level progression. I've got a basic set up so far an was hoping for more input on it.

Least Legacy, lvls 1-3, Ritual cost = (original cost/10) + 250, Max Enhancement +2
Lesser Legacy, lvls 4-5, Ritual cost = (original cost/10) + 750, Max Enhancement +3
Greater Legacy, lvl 6, Ritual cost = (original cost/10) +2250, Max Enhancement +4
No penalties to Atk, HP, Spells Slots, etc...

The maximum Enhancement includes the total from special abilities as well. I also think a cap on ability score increases is needed as well. After that, deciding the remaining abilities for the item all depends on whats appropriate.

So does this look like a good basis for legacy weapons or not?

Darth_Versity
2012-07-20, 04:16 AM
I've redesigned Unfettered first for the warblade

Least legacy, 500gp
1. Charging Minotaur 3/day
2. Enlarge Person 1/day (CL=HD)
3. +2 Greatsword

Lesser Legacy, 2000gp
4. Str +2
5. Light Fortification

Greater Legacy, 6750gp
6. +3 Greatsword

Lonely Tylenol
2012-07-22, 09:25 PM
I actually found it better to just make my own weapons at that point. They don't necessarily follow many of the Weapons of Legacy rules, however (save for the Least/Lesser/Greater Legacy chain and ritual attunement); most of them are actually built off of fairly ordinary items normally available in E6 (or that may have just missed the mark), which are exceptional by way of their legacy.

Here's an example:

LEGACY WEAPON: Swordbow
Least Legacy: The weapon gains the properties of the Swordbow, Short and Swordbow, Great, allowing it to transform into a +1 Rapier, +1 Shortbow, +1 Greatsword, and +1 Composite Longbow (+4 STR rating).
Lesser Legacy: The weapon gains the Morphing property (Magic Item Compendium, p. 39). This allows the weapon to become any medium-sized one-handed or two-handed weapon. This ability does not count toward the enhancement bonus limit for the Swordbow.
Greater Legacy: Whenever the weapon strikes a creature that has damage reduction, the attack resolves normally; however, at the start of the next turn, the weapon transforms, taking on the properties of whatever material is necessary to overcome that damage reduction. In effect, it gains the Transmuting property (Magic Item Compendium, p. 45).

In order, it scaled from a slightly better version of itself as least legacy, whereupon it gained a +1 ability not normally available in E6 (the Morphing property), followed by a stronger, 15th-level ability as its greater legacy. It's a bit lower in power than what you have here, but it's still thematic, and allows you to custom build.