PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Neanderthal class?

GreenSerpent
2012-07-19, 04:31 PM
Hello Playgrounders!

I have come to ask your assistance in a suitable race-class-whateverthereis combination for a character I plan in playing soon, a Neanderthal.

Now, in this world there are very few Neanderthals in the civilised areas of the world. This means that they are usually slaves or so on - but I'm creating one as the sort of "emancipated slave" character.

Game is at second level, 28 point buy. What I'm trying to do is create a character that fits the Neanderthal way (revering spirits of ancestors, fire and nature, hunting, etc) but is effective and fun to play.

Current ideas I have include Barbarian (going to Frostrager then Primeval), Totemist (possibly going to Totem Rager) and Spirit Shaman (being, erm, shaman-y?)

Thoughts? Assistance? Cake?

Thanks!

Zilzmaer
2012-07-19, 05:07 PM
Frostburn has a race called Neanderthal. La +0, iirc

GreenSerpent
2012-07-19, 05:10 PM
I think it's fairly obvious if I mentioned I was playing a Neanderthal I'd be using the race from Frostburn... if I didn't know about them then I'd be asking for "Jotunbrud Human class" or "Goliath class"

The Redwolf
2012-07-19, 05:11 PM
I think it's fairly obvious if I mentioned I was playing a Neanderthal I'd be using the race from Frostburn... if I didn't know about them then I'd be asking for "Jotunbrud Human class" or "Goliath class"

I didn't think it was obvious because I didn't know it existed, and I would guess I'm not the only person who doesn't either, he was just trying to help.

eggs
2012-07-19, 05:15 PM
Their stats love Totemists, and their fluff matches nicely as well. I'd go that way for sure.

GreenSerpent
2012-07-19, 05:18 PM
I wasn't trying to sound harsh, just suggesting that if I'm asking for a Neanderthal class that I probably know about the Neanderthal already.

The Redwolf
2012-07-19, 05:21 PM
I wasn't trying to sound harsh, just suggesting that if I'm asking for a Neanderthal class that I probably know about the Neanderthal already.

Fair enough, that makes sense, sorry.

Psyren
2012-07-19, 05:26 PM
Barbarian can have Neanderthal flavor if you want that. If you're willing to dip into Pathfinder you could grab the True Primitive archetype, or you can stick with 3.5 and check out the Fist of the Forest PrC.

Elric VIII
2012-07-19, 05:39 PM
Play a Wizard. Do the opposite of this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195049).

Urpriest
2012-07-19, 05:44 PM
I like the idea of a Neanderthal with Three Mountains Style. It would probably end up being a Barbarian, though perhaps you could also pull it off on a Spirit Shaman with the various Shillelagh-type buffs.

GreenSerpent
2012-07-19, 05:55 PM
Ur-Priest, and Elric... I see an amazing combination coming up...

Optimator
2012-07-19, 06:32 PM
Runescarred Berserker!

Slipperychicken
2012-07-19, 11:02 PM
Bonuses to Str and Con, no minus to Wis or Cha? You could make a melee-Cleric of one of these "feral deities", with a sort of shaman/witch-doctor feel. Since he gets a bonus with wood weapons anyway (and no martial proficiency), might as well use the few spells which buff them, like Brambles or something. Use Substitute Domain (Clr 2, Complete Champion) for when you want to prepare utility stuff like Fly or Teleport, since you can get pretty much any spell through the right domain. Just say you're worshipping "nature spirits" and they have all the domains you ever want. Make your Divine Focus a chewed rat-skull or something.

A Crusader might work well, too, simply beating the hell out of people he doesn't like. Kind of a blank slate in terms of flavor, but surely you're creative.

Druid. "Fire and Nature" is practically their job description. Fits well thematically. Also has a few spells that work to buff clubs, like Shillelagh and Brambles. Am I a bad person for thinking of DMM CoDzilla here?

The bonus to hit on "primitive" weapons basically gives you a free point of Power Attack, so two-handing one of these seems like the way to go.

Venger
2012-07-20, 12:31 AM
if your game's not super high-op, primeval's frostburn would be a fun choice. If you can get access to alter self somehow and can stick it out for 10 levels, the magical beast type is pretty sweet.

second totemist though, it's really fun to go the whole american indian route for characters like this.

GreenSerpent
2012-07-20, 05:27 AM
If somehow I can get the DM to give me proficiency with the Sugliin, and waive the feat Sugliin Mastery... then I can see a Spirit Shaman working very nicely.

Or better, a Quarterstaff that he slowly starts enhancing with pieces of defeated enemies...

kitcik
2012-07-20, 08:56 AM
Fist of the Forest with a little re-fluff.

Zilzmaer
2012-07-20, 11:05 AM
I have come to ask your assistance in a suitable race-class-whateverthereis combination for a character I plan in playing soon, a Neanderthal.

Actually, you did ask for race.

GreenSerpent
2012-07-20, 11:42 AM
I then go on to state that there are "very few Neanderthals in this part of the world" which is indicitive of the fact that I know of the existance of the Neanderthal race from Frostburn. Had I not known of that race I would be asking for a race specifically that either was, or mimicked, a stereotypical Neanderthal (Jotunbrud Human comes to mind).

But leaving aside the technicalities of it, I've decided on a melee-focused Spirit Shaman who doesn't actually know he's a spirit shaman, and instead hits things very hard (with "unusual effects" e.g. him casting spells but not actually knowing about them. INT penalty.)

kitcik
2012-07-20, 12:15 PM
Have you thought about Jotunbrud Human as a race?

eggs
2012-07-20, 12:58 PM
Neanderthals count as humans, right?
Jotunbrud Neanderthal!

kitcik
2012-07-20, 01:26 PM
Jotunbrud Mongrelfolk

Jotunbrud Underfolk

Lord Loss
2012-07-20, 01:29 PM
I then go on to state that there are "very few Neanderthals in this part of the world" which is indicitive of the fact that I know of the existance of the Neanderthal race from Frostburn. Had I not known of that race I would be asking for a race specifically that either was, or mimicked, a stereotypical Neanderthal (Jotunbrud Human comes to mind).

But leaving aside the technicalities of it, I've decided on a melee-focused Spirit Shaman who doesn't actually know he's a spirit shaman, and instead hits things very hard (with "unusual effects" e.g. him casting spells but not actually knowing about them. INT penalty.)

Sounds like a very low-op way of going about it. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are classes that add spell effects to their attacks while being melee focused. Maybe check CW?

Person_Man
2012-07-20, 02:22 PM
Totemist and Spirit Shaman would both work fine. I personally would shy away from Barbarian, as they're pretty boring, especially at low levels. (Though it might be worth it for Pounce, depending on your overall build and ECL).

Another good option would be Binder, which could easily be refluffed to bind the spirits of your ancestors. Naberius (Disguise Self, Command, ability score healing, fast Diplomacy), Malphas (Invisibility, Sudden Strike, Poison Use, infinity replaceable raven), and Dahlver-Nar (Save or Daze, 1/2 Con to natural armor, and a Shield Self - which is basically Forced Share Pain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/sharePainForced.htm)) vestiges are all available at level 1 with the Improved Binder feat. Dahlver-Nar in particular can be amazing at low levels with the right tactics.

Zombulian
2012-07-20, 04:07 PM
3rd or 4th vote for Totemist here. I'm not sure how many people recommended it, but it actually fits it perfectly, and their Con/Str buff makes them awesome.