PDA

View Full Version : Power Attack math question

killianh
2012-07-19, 11:32 PM
If I use leap attack with a 2 handed weapon I do triple the damage on a power attack. If I use Combat Brute I gain another X3 multiplier (which I believe means I get 5:1 on power attack at that point) meaning on a penalty of -10 I gain 50 damage.

If I use a Valorous lance with Battle Jump I get a total of X4 to my charge damage. My question is: Does this work out that I would get +200 damage from the power attack, or would it treat power attack as X9 granting only 90?

Korivan
2012-07-20, 12:15 AM
Meh, frenzied beserker with same style gets a 12:1 ratio.

killianh
2012-07-20, 12:16 AM
Meh, frenzied beserker with same style gets a 12:1 ratio.

doesn't answer my question.

Ramshack
2012-07-20, 12:27 AM
Leap attack converts the damage conversion to 3 to 1 for a 2 handed weapon instead of the 2:1.

So a 10 point power attack would be 30 damage

Combat Brute maintains the 3:1 damage ratio for the round after the charge.

You would then multiply this by the Charge Modifier. So For instance charging with a lance would be x2 so +60 Charging with spirited charge and a lance would be x3 for +90 and charging with a lance with spirited charge with a valorous weapon enchantment would be x4 for +120.

Your equation should like something like this: (dice roll + str modifier + weapon enhancement bonus + Power Attack Damage) x charge modifier

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-07-20, 12:28 AM
The Complete Adventurer Errata (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a) changed Leap Attack, it now increases your bonus damage from using Power Attack by 100%. The current wording is very intentionally not a multiplier, so the standard multiplier stacking rules do not apply to it. A one-handed Leap Attack gets +2 per -1, a two-handed Leap Attack gets +4 per -1.

Combat Brute changes the standard Power Attack damage bonus to +3 per -1 for two-handed, which is a multiplier effect. Leap Attack will increase this by 100%, making it +6 per -1, so taking a -10 to hit gives you +60 damage with those two combined.

Other multipliers, such as Valorous, Battle Jump, Rhino's Rush, and even a critical hit, will follow the standard stacking rules for the base power attack damage bonus.

Your Power Attack bonus damage is three times your attack penalty, so that x3 when combined with additional multipliers will determine the base bonus damage per -1 to hit. Just add on Leap Attack afterward and increase the entire thing by 100%, effectively doubling it. Combat Brute + Valorous + Battle Jump = +5 per -1, and Leap Attack makes that +10 per -1. Power Attacking for a -10 to hit with all of those gives you +100 damage.