PDA

View Full Version : Twice Blessed: Now with art upgrade.

gadren
2012-07-20, 12:56 AM
So, I figured it was about time on here for a Twice Blessed thread that wasn't about how much it is a "rip off" of OoTS. Well, today we officially added a third person to our creative team, Miss Joanna Materek, so from now on I will focus on the writing, Gen will focus on the penciling, and Joanna will focus on the coloring and shading. Check it out!

http://www.twiceblessedcomic.com/wp-content/webcomic/twice_blessed/page79wp.jpg (http://www.twiceblessedcomic.com/?webcomic_post=79)

gadren
2012-07-20, 01:01 AM
Also, on the topic of hiring people in terms of a less long-term position, does anyone know any good website designer to recommend who charges "competitive rates" (ie, affordable.)

factotum
2012-07-20, 01:25 AM
The first page with the upgraded art looks a bit murky to my eyes, but then, it is set at night with everything lit with candles, so I suppose that's to be expected!

Flickerdart
2012-07-20, 08:10 PM
Also, on the topic of hiring people in terms of a less long-term position, does anyone know any good website designer to recommend who charges "competitive rates" (ie, affordable.)
How much do you consider to be affordable?

Dr.Epic
2012-07-20, 08:52 PM
Well the artwork is pretty good.

gadren
2012-07-21, 01:46 AM
How much do you consider to be affordable?

A few hundred dollars, maybe more? Can't go into four digits. I've never hired a web designer before, so I don't know at what point I'm being insulting.

Flickerdart
2012-07-21, 02:19 PM
A few hundred dollars, maybe more? Can't go into four digits. I've never hired a web designer before, so I don't know at what point I'm being insulting.
Well, they're usually paid by the hour, so even with a cheap designer you're probably going to go over the $500 mark easily, and are quite likely to be looking at over $1000 by the end. A competent designer will charge more, but also work faster, with the advantage that the end product will look better. All in all, it really depends on how much you want done (your average custom Wordpress theme with ComicPress won't cost you nearly as much as, say, the entire feature suite on a comic like Penny Arcade with a forum and a store and fifty million bells and whistles).

If you have the time, I would really recommend learning HTML/CSS yourself (you don't really need to know PHP to make Wordpress themes, you just need google-fu, because chances are someone's already figured out your problem). This also makes upkeep easier, because down the line you will almost certainly want to add some of the aforementioned bells and/or whistles and it's a lot easier working with your own code than having to dig through someone else's, even if you do know the language.

Emperordaniel
2012-07-21, 02:37 PM
Just took the time to check this out, and it's awesome. :smallsmile:

Morph Bark
2012-07-21, 04:42 PM
On that particular strip you posted up there, I like the second and third panels. The girl's mouth in the fourth panel is atrocious.

gadren
2012-07-23, 03:56 PM
The first page with the upgraded art looks a bit murky to my eyes, but then, it is set at night with everything lit with candles, so I suppose that's to be expected!

We actually agree that the page was too murky, which is why I just now uploaded a version that has been lightened up a bit (http://www.twiceblessedcomic.com/?webcomic_post=79), and we will try to make the shadows not so heavy on future pages.

Emperordaniel
2012-07-26, 11:23 AM
I wonder what's up with Captain Guillen. :smalltongue:

gadren
2012-07-26, 07:05 PM
I wonder what's up with Captain Guillen. :smalltongue:

Captain Armando Guillen can be very very friendly.

Emperordaniel
2012-07-31, 05:57 AM
Yeah, I'm sure she'll be in complete control of that thing... ...whatever it is.

gadren
2012-07-31, 11:42 AM
Yeah, I'm sure she'll be in complete control of that thing... ...whatever it is.

I won't say outright what it is, but I left some pretty strong hints, and by this page you should be able to figure out what that thing is and how Lyrinda knows Pella if you read back over the comic and pay attention to what might seem like unimportant details.

Emperordaniel
2012-07-31, 01:02 PM
I won't say outright what it is, but I left some pretty strong hints, and by this page you should be able to figure out what that thing is and how Lyrinda knows Pella if you read back over the comic and pay attention to what might seem like unimportant details.

I now have an excuse to go on an archive binge. :smallbiggrin:

Glass Mouse
2012-07-31, 04:45 PM
All in all, it really depends on how much you want done (your average custom Wordpress theme with ComicPress won't cost you nearly as much as, say, the entire feature suite on a comic like Penny Arcade with a forum and a store and fifty million bells and whistles).

This. I'd throw you an offer (my S.O. and I are dabbling in website designing, both amateurs), but I have no idea how much you want done. Only visual design? A forum? Another update system? A new site from scratch? A store? Galleries?

If you want a simple, static site (aka, with the content it has now, no interactive elements), I have to echo the suggestion to learn HTML yourself. Have one of your artists design the site, then program it yourself. It may look intimidating, but html is very simple once you learn the basics. This (http://www.html.net/) is a great ressource - I programmed my own first website with this.

Oh, and the new artwork looks great! Very fitting for a fantasy story - kudos to your colourist :smallsmile:

Humbug
2012-07-31, 06:47 PM
The new colours is lovely, altho I kinda agree with some that it doesn't fit the comedic tone of the comic. The pastel palette and dreamlike feel gives me the impression that it's a romance story. Sharper and more saturated colours would better suit I think. Still, great work so far. :D

Love Cade's expression in that first panel.

Emperordaniel
2012-08-04, 06:48 PM
That book! D:

gadren
2012-08-07, 04:52 PM
That book! D:

Creepy eh?

We were actually thinking of selling iPad and Kindle covers that look like the book's awakened form.

Emperordaniel
2012-08-12, 12:09 PM
Well, if Pella didn't look suspicious before...she sure does, now. :smallamused:

gadren
2012-08-17, 04:14 AM
Well, if Pella didn't look suspicious before...she sure does, now. :smallamused:

Hence why the guards are firing arrows at her. (And missing because, as everyone knows, few things are harder to hit than a mostly stationary target at close range.)

Emperordaniel
2012-08-21, 08:13 AM
Hence why the guards are firing arrows at her. (And missing because, as everyone knows, few things are harder to hit than a mostly stationary target at close range.)

They didn't study at the Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy by any chance, did they? :smalltongue:

factotum
2012-08-21, 04:02 PM
I'm not convinced Pella's marksmanship is that great--she was aiming at Cade, yet her arrow managed to pass through a teleport thingy which is clearly some distance above his head; even if it hadn't been there that arrow would have missed.

By the way, I'm coming to the conclusion that I preferred the much simpler shading that was used in the early strips--I find the new style just makes me think everything is fuzzy and out of focus. This is probably just me being weird, though! :smallbiggrin:

gadren
2012-08-21, 07:57 PM
I'm not convinced Pella's marksmanship is that great--she was aiming at Cade, yet her arrow managed to pass through a teleport thingy which is clearly some distance above his head; even if it hadn't been there that arrow would have missed.

By the way, I'm coming to the conclusion that I preferred the much simpler shading that was used in the early strips--I find the new style just makes me think everything is fuzzy and out of focus. This is probably just me being weird, though! :smallbiggrin:

In TB, portals can slightly alter the paths of projectiles due to a slight warp in gravity and mass.

factotum
2012-09-03, 10:34 AM
*poke* *poke*

Is this comic still alive, or is it an ex-comic?

gadren
2012-09-03, 08:09 PM
*poke* *poke*

Is this comic still alive, or is it an ex-comic?

Technical difficulties are currently preventing me from updating the website. I hope to have it resolved soon.

stsasser
2012-09-03, 08:34 PM
I enjoy this comic very much, especially with new colorist that gives it less of a 'Disney' tone. Hope you have it all straightened out soon.

Emperordaniel
2012-09-09, 01:28 PM
Just noticed the couple of new updates that have gone up recently (http://www.twiceblessedcomic.com/wp-content/themes/mgsisk-inkblot-ff19aa0/techproblemupdate.html).

This DOES NOT look good. :eek:

stsasser
2012-09-22, 06:00 AM
Just noticed the couple of new updates that have gone up recently (http://www.twiceblessedcomic.com/wp-content/themes/mgsisk-inkblot-ff19aa0/techproblemupdate.html).

This DOES NOT look good. :eek:

The hells is going on?? Now the author has a concussion in addition to the website malfunctions?:smallconfused:

Emperordaniel
2012-09-22, 06:06 AM
The hells is going on?? Now the author has a concussion in addition to the website malfunctions?:smallconfused:

Scroll down - I was referring to actual new comic pages a little further down the page. :smallwink:

But yeah, concussions are no fun at all, either. :frown:

stsasser
2012-09-22, 06:18 AM
Scroll down - I was referring to actual new comic pages a little further down the page. :smallwink:

But yeah, concussions are no fun at all, either. :frown:

The latest update is the report of the concussion. I suspect he was beating his head on his desk because of the intractable website issues.

I don't know if the 'imnor impairments' is a joke or scary sad.

Gez
2012-09-22, 07:21 AM
I don't know if the 'imnor impairments' is a joke or scary sad.

Well, he's treated by a BEHAVIORAL Thrapist. (Admiral Ackbar: "It's a thrap!")

Sweet_Goddess
2012-09-25, 04:26 PM
Well, he's treated by a BEHAVIORAL Thrapist. (Admiral Ackbar: "It's a thrap!")

Better then being treated by therapists specializing in bee hay viewers... they like to violate your bee hay viewers and do all kinds of stuff, so your bee hay viewers make lousy honey, and have emotional trauma, and stuff... someone should arrest all therapists.

t209
2012-09-29, 10:04 AM
Do you think Cade Masters is like Flashman?
He may not be a coward, but he is sure lucky enough that many thought of him as a badass?