PDA

View Full Version : This feat will be the BANE of death effects

Darthteej
2012-07-20, 03:53 AM
Flavor Text
The necromancer gathered the last of his spell energy, and hurled it at the approaching figure. It was his most powerful spell yet, surely it would...

No. The monk in front of him abosrbed the concentrated wave of blackness as if it was nothing. In fact, he looked slightly amused.

The necromancer collasped in desperation. "I've done everything," he said "Please, just kill me now."

At this, the monk raised an eyebrow. "Cowards like you think death is not the end, and for once, I shall oblige your belief."

Now leering down at him, the monk cracked his knuckles.

"Your punishment must be more...severe."

Live Harder

Prerequisites
Endurance, Diehard, Great Fortitude, Will Save +3

Benefit
You have conditioned your mind and body to shut down pain when you enter battle, so that you may live to fight another day.

You become immune to fatigue, exhuastion, and nonlethal damage, and gain damage reduction 1/-. In addition, any time you are targeted by an effect that would cause instant death, or force a fortitude save, you may delay taking a saving throw by 1d4 rounds. During this time period, the delayed saving throw may be removed by a Dspel effect, Break Enchantment,Resotration, Death Ward, or Remove Curse. Recieving the benefit of magical healing has a 50% chance to delay the saving throw by an additional round, but being healed by 50 or more hitpoints will cause all delayed throws to be entirely removed.

When you enter the diehard effect, the feat's benefits are even greater. You may continue taking actions as normal, your DR increases to 10/-, death effects and fort saves are delayed by 1d6 rounds, and your negative hitpoint total is increased by five times your constitution modifier. Finally, if you are hit by damage that would normally kill you in the negatives, you may take a fortitude saving throw with a DC equal the damage dealt in order to keep going at the hitpoint total before being hit by the attack.

Special
A monk may substitute the Purity of Body class feature as a prerequisite for the feat, but does not gain the effects of Endurance or Diehard.

A creature with regeneration that takes this feat does not gain immunity to nonlethal damage, and neither regeneration nor fast healing counts as magical healing for the purposes of removing delayed saving throws.

Doorhandle
2012-07-20, 04:29 AM
I like the idea of this, yesssss.....:smallbiggrin:

edit: Is there any way to remove the delayed death effect before it occurs? Something like dispel magic or remove curse?

What level do you generally want this to be available? I think you could get it at lv 7 for all classes.

Also, maybe include some errata that would include effects like flesh to stone, which is effectively a save-or-die anyway.

Another good idea would be a follow-up feat (although I will admit feat chains are a wee bit too common) that would allow you to increase the time delayed and allow it to apply to all hostile effects.

Darthteej
2012-07-20, 04:04 PM
Added some new errata on how the delayed saving throw works. A lot of save or basically die effects(polymorph, flesh to stone) work off of the fort save. I've also decided to buff up the number of extra negative hitpoints you get.

I also briefly considered allowing Crusader class features to subsitute for the prereqs, but they're completely ridiculous tanks anyway, and it's way too synergistic with their self healing maneuvers to get it for free.

Finally, I added in a clause that will prevent rules abuse.