PDA

View Full Version : "Power" to the players ideas.

Captainspork
2012-07-20, 04:18 AM
Hey all. So in a 3.5 campaign I am running I would like to grant my PCs a "power" as a reward for the portion of the game we are currently in, rather than just another magic item. Essentially, they are removing a curse / purifying an evil sword. I would like these powers to have a dark flavor to them, but I am sort of stuck. Here is the idea I have so far:

For a rogue type character, he can literally become a shadow, and can move up to 60 ft in this form. This gives him a sneak attack vs any opponent he attacks this round. This can only be used once per day, and only in a situation where a shadow is cast (ie not pure darkness).

The other two characters are a sorceress, who has an arcane fusion-cerelity type build, and a wizard/warrior/abjurant champion. Obviously I don't want these powers to be too powerful, or something that makes DMing very difficult, but I don't mind a challenge and do want them to be usefull. Help! :smallredface:

only1doug
2012-07-20, 04:28 AM
Hey all. So in a 3.5 campaign I am running I would like to grant my PCs a "power" as a reward for the portion of the game we are currently in, rather than just another magic item. Essentially, they are removing a curse / purifying an evil sword. I would like these powers to have a dark flavor to them, but I am sort of stuck. Here is the idea I have so far:

For a rogue type character, he can literally become a shadow, and can move up to 60 ft in this form. This gives him a sneak attack vs any opponent he attacks this round. This can only be used once per day, and only in a situation where a shadow is cast (ie not pure darkness).

The other two characters are a sorceress, who has an arcane fusion-cerelity type build, and a wizard/warrior/abjurant champion. Obviously I don't want these powers to be too powerful, or something that makes DMing very difficult, but I don't mind a challenge and do want them to be usefull. Help! :smallredface:

give them one level of Warlock gestalted in for free with their current build? they can then pick the warlock powers granted to them and I doubt it will be overwhelming (and if they like the warlock they can progress it with their future levels).

Seems ideal flavour for a dark gift.

Quellian-dyrae
2012-07-20, 04:31 AM
For the Abjurant Champion, how about making it so when it casts a Shield spell, it creates a shield of shadows that also grants it a 20% Miss Chance for the duration? Basically gives it the effects of Shield and Blur in a single, first level spell slot.

For the sorceress...maybe pick a darkness-themed spell that she gets to add to her Spells Known list. It's not the most creative, but more spells known are always nice for sorcerers. Probably something two or three spell levels below her current maximum.

Augmental
2012-07-20, 04:37 AM
...and a wizard/warrior/abjurant champion.

...Do you mean the actual NPC Warrior class, or do you mean a PC class like fighter?

Pilo
2012-07-20, 05:09 AM
There is an item in a book from the faerun settings which can give power or kill a pc. I don't remember which book but it may be "The shinning south" ou "Lost empire of Faerun", there is "Elixir" in the item name.

DoughGuy
2012-07-20, 05:10 AM
For the casters you could take a look at the shadow caster class and pick an appropriately powered spell (or whatever its called) from there and give it to them as a 1/2/3 a day SLA.

killianh
2012-07-20, 05:40 AM
Give them a level appropriate vestige. A nice collection of simple powers that aren't game breaking yet still grant them nice options.

Captainspork
2012-07-20, 06:32 AM
...Do you mean the actual NPC Warrior class, or do you mean a PC class like fighter?

I meant fighter, sorry. He actually has more fighter levels than wizard, I believe. I don't remember his exact build verbatim, but I know he functions more as a "tank" than a caster.

only1doug
2012-07-20, 07:04 AM
Again I recommend that you look at the Warlock Class from complete Arcane, Give all the players 1 free level of warlock (Without HPs, saves, BAB mods or skillpoints). They gain 1d6 eldritch blast at will (no worse than them having a light crossbow except no one has to worry about tracking ammunition) and one least invocation (minor spell like ability at will).
The players will get to choose which invocation they get and can take further levels in the class if they want, the fluff for the class is all about "dark power" so intrinsicaly fits. Just drop the alignment requirement due to the source of the Power (them syphoning it from the artifact and trying to purify it by their deeds).

Captainspork
2012-07-20, 08:39 AM
Again I recommend that you look at the Warlock Class from complete Arcane, Give all the players 1 free level of warlock (Without HPs, saves, BAB mods or skillpoints). They gain 1d6 eldritch blast at will (no worse than them having a light crossbow except no one has to worry about tracking ammunition) and one least invocation (minor spell like ability at will).
The players will get to choose which invocation they get and can take further levels in the class if they want, the fluff for the class is all about "dark power" so intrinsicaly fits. Just drop the alignment requirement due to the source of the Power (them syphoning it from the artifact and trying to purify it by their deeds).

Will definitely check this out for sure. I'm not real familiar with the class but I will read up on it and see what its all about. Thanks!

yougi
2012-07-20, 12:53 PM
I have also done that in a game I run, although my players got those from the gods of Good in their fight against devils... so not really the same kind of fluff, but could give you some ideas. They actually got/will get one blessing from each of the 8 good High Priests.

The first time (High Priest of Heironeous), the blessing made it so that everyone's HD would be maxed on every even level.

The second time (High Priest of Corellon):
- The Barbarian got Favored Enemy (Outsider) at +4 on damage and a couple of different skills, as a ranger would, and the ability to cast Greater Magic Weapon at will.
- The Cleric got an at-will ability I called Holy Bolt, a ranged touch attack for 1d8 (+ Wis modifier) damage, only works against evil people, and the ability to turn devils at -4 on the roll to determine the max HD he can turn.
- The Monk's unarmed strike were improved to become Devilbane (as a weapon would), and the Fiery Fist feat.
- The Wizard got the short end of the stick and got the ability to re-roll damage on one of his spell, once per day.
- The Dragon Shaman's breath was improved, and now deals half damage to those who are immune to fire. He also improved his lay on hands from 2*Cha*Level to 3*Cha*level.
- The Rogue/Ranger got the ability to Detect Evil at will, and to cast greater invisibility once per day.

The third blessing (from High Priest of Moradin) gave everyone +2 Con and +2 vs Poison.

Now I have some ideas of what the next ones ore going to be, but I'm still not sure...

For Glittergold: +2 to eveyone's saves vs illusions, ability to cast some illusions... or something.

For Pelor: Everyone gets the ability to smite evil 2/day, at +4 on the attack roll and +Level on damage.

For Boccob: +1 rank to every Knowledge skill; +2 saves vs spells to all; +1 CL to everyone.

For Kord: Weapons/Unarmed strikes are treated as a size larger to determine damage dice; +10' to everyone's base land speed.

For Yondalla: Ability to cast reduce person on self, 2/day; +1 to everyone on all saves, extra +2 vs fear.

kitcik
2012-07-20, 01:09 PM
Those are all cool but I must say, as a player, I am really intrigued by that Gestalt Warlock level. I think that's a fantasticly interesting idea.

Psyren
2012-07-20, 01:12 PM
I think the ideas of a Warlock invocation or Shadowcaster Mystery are great. Maybe 3/day of a Least/Apprentice power level, or 1/day of Lesser/Initiate power level. (max 5th for the latter.)

You could also look at Binder Vestiges for some ideas.

Randomguy
2012-07-20, 03:29 PM
You could give the sorcerer the free warlock level, but to make things more unique you could let the wizard cast Armour of Darkness, an abjuration found only in the Darkness domain, as a wizard spell. Don't give him the ability to cast it 1/day as a spell like ability or anything, that would be too strong, just put it on his spell list (and treat it as if he took spell mastery for it).

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-20, 04:19 PM
DMG2 has guidelines for exactly this sort of thing, and there are more examples in some of the later supplements such as CC and CM. Then there are (planar) touchstones in Sandstorm & the Planar handbook.

You could use these as jumping off points, or there may be a magical location in ToM you could use IIRC.

doko239
2012-07-20, 04:47 PM
Pathfinder offers some fun options in the form of Sorcerer bloodline powers; you could plagiarize from them.

Bloodlines can be found here (http://www.paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/classes/sorcerer.html%2523_sorcerer%23%23_sorcerer##_sorce rer), here (http://www.paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/coreClasses/sorcerer.html), here (http://www.paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spellcastingClassOptions/sorcerer.html) and here (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/classesAlternate.htm).

nedz
2012-07-20, 07:56 PM
I did something similar a few years ago when the party saved a Nymph from the clutches of a Lich. She attacked them, grappled and kissed them:smallbiggrin: They all got the feat Nymph's Kiss :smallcool:

Note: Free feat < Free choice of feat.

Obviously you would need to choose something more appropriate for your dark sword.
Darkstalker possibly ?

I do like the Warlock idea, but I would change this slightly. Give them a free invocation, or if you are feeling extra generous a free choice of invocation. No need for any Gestalt.

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-21, 04:37 AM
There is a FR book, Lords of Darkness, that includes rituals. Those rituals usually cost a few GP and also deal damage/drain to ability scores, but they grant powers in return. Could be a good inspiration.

My favourite is the one that gives you the ability to throw black flames from your hands, like Hiei from Yuu Yuu Hakusho

yougi
2012-07-21, 09:50 PM
There is a FR book, Lords of Darkness, that includes rituals. Those rituals usually cost a few GP and also deal damage/drain to ability scores, but they grant powers in return. Could be a good inspiration.

My favourite is the one that gives you the ability to throw black flames from your hands, like Hiei from Yuu Yuu Hakusho

Where is that? I've gone through the book and I haven't seen anything about it...

morkendi
2012-07-21, 10:10 PM
I cant remember where i saw it, but some class can make a spell component out of shadow and substitute it. Not haveing to have components like a pearl to identify with is nice. For warrior, coat his weapon in shadow at will to do evil when it comes to DR. Not to powerful, but still nice.