PDA

View Full Version : Healing by punching.

DementedFellow
2012-07-20, 04:35 AM
Hi everyone!

After watching a certain movie, I would like to know if it is possible mechanically to add a healing effect to an unarmed strike? If so, would the healing always be there or would it have to be activated somehow?

Example of what I'm trying to convey,

"Oh it seems your spine is messed up. Lemme punch that for you."

Doorhandle
2012-07-20, 04:39 AM
I guess it's a touch spell, so technically you could render it as a touch attack or an unarmed-strike instead of the touch attack.

Also, you could use a magus spell-strike to do it, and maybe attach it to a whip :smalltongue: "LET ME INVIGORATE YOU! *whipish*

Kadarai
2012-07-20, 04:57 AM
there is a weapon ability, from the World of Warcraft Campaign Setting by sword & sorcery if i recall correctly, called "Healing" or smth that let's u turn the damage from the enchanted weapon to healing, up to 100 points per day. You can pt it to gauntlets or hand wraps and have 100points of damage per day turn to healing, at will.

edit:Actually it must be from the "More Magic and Mayhem" supplement of the said setting.

Umbranar
2012-07-20, 05:03 AM
Think a manouvre or stance in the Tome of Battle can do something like this.

supermonkeyjoe
2012-07-20, 05:04 AM
You can deliver touch spells with an unarmed strike by default:

Holding the Charge

If you don’t discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the discharge of the spell (hold the charge) indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates. Alternatively, you may make a normal unarmed attack (or an attack with a natural weapon) while holding a charge. In this case, you aren’t considered armed and you provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for the attack. (If your unarmed attack or natural weapon attack doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity, neither does this attack.) If the attack hits, you deal normal damage for your unarmed attack or natural weapon and the spell discharges. If the attack misses, you are still holding the charge.

So punch a guy for 1d3 non-lethal damage and they gain health from the held touch spell. NIt's worth noting that healing spells restore as much non-lethal damage as they do lethal

Krazzman
2012-07-20, 05:09 AM
Ehm... Crusader Strike and Martial Spirit Stance could be what you seek. There is afair even a group that exploited this...they smashed their poor pony with saps so they would all heal up...

Doorhandle
2012-07-20, 05:23 AM
You can deliver touch spells with an unarmed strike by default:

So punch a guy for 1d3 non-lethal damage and they gain health from the held touch spell. NIt's worth noting that healing spells restore as much non-lethal damage as they do lethal

Thats what I meant. :smalltongue:

only1doug
2012-07-20, 05:43 AM
Ehm... Crusader Strike and Martial Spirit Stance could be what you seek. There is afair even a group that exploited this...they smashed their poor pony with saps so they would all heal up...

Crusader strike's specific wording blocks that approach:
an enemy whose alignment has at least one component different from yours. This foe must pose a threat to you or your allies in some direct, immediate way.

Martial spirit stance works as it only specifies that you have to hit an opponent.

Rainbownaga
2012-07-20, 05:45 AM

Would it be raw legal to punch the same person you were trying to heal? I know it's clearly against RAI (and wouldn't be allowed in most campaigns) but a monk who buys them with feats would surely be able to get away with it.

Edit: an answer before i even write. Just as well since the stance would work better anyway.

Featherman
2012-07-20, 05:47 AM
Inquisitor Bracers (MIC, p113, 1500gp) makes your melee attacks heal 3/day.

Togo
2012-07-20, 05:48 AM
Kensai (CW) can turn his fists into magical weapons - with the spellstoring enhancement.

Any monk/divine caster crossover p-class will allow healing attacks with fists.

You could also re-fluff heal skill into a purcussive chiropracty

Feralventas
2012-07-20, 06:31 AM
Crusader strike's specific wording blocks that approach:
an enemy whose alignment has at least one component different from yours. This foe must pose a threat to you or your allies in some direct, immediate way.

Martial spirit stance works as it only specifies that you have to hit an opponent.

If
your party member is not of your alignment
And
you are going to punch yourself
Then
you are a threat to the party, and may strike yourself non-lethally while healing your ally.

Now ready your shield and prepare your Wall of Blades maneuver, because there's a storm of books headed in the direction of anyone who tries this.

Rainbownaga
2012-07-20, 06:42 AM
If
And
Then
you are a threat to the party, and may strike yourself non-lethally while healing your ally.

But since you know you're going to heal from that, you're not a threat so it doesn't work.

Which means it does work.

Which means it doesn't work?

*Head explodes*

only1doug
2012-07-20, 07:25 AM
If
And
Then

Now ready your shield and prepare your Wall of Blades maneuver, because there's a storm of books headed in the direction of anyone who tries this.

Your alignment is one step different from your alignment?

You definately can't punch yourself for healing with crusaders stike.
(or you can, but will gain no benefit healing from doing so)

Try it this way:
Your party member is 1 alignment step different.
he says "if I don't get healed back to full then I'll kill you" (direct, immediate threat?)
so you decide to pummel him back to full health (Unarmed Crusaders strike while in Martial Spirit stance) dealing non lethal while healing lethal.

But IMO it won't work because by my definitions a person cannot simultaneously be an Ally and an Enemy

CreganTur
2012-07-20, 08:54 AM
I have always wanted a dagger of healing- there's something about stabbing your teammates for a d6+STR and then healing them for a few d6s that I find really amusing.

Slipperychicken
2012-07-20, 11:21 AM
Gauntlets of Use-Activated Cure Light? ("Use" is punching people)

DementedFellow
2012-07-20, 08:06 PM
I don't have ToB. Does it talk about damage scaling with healing done? Let's say I increase my unarmed strike damage is there a way that i can get that converted to healing?

dascarletm
2012-07-20, 08:56 PM
I had an NPC cleric of Scahrossar. She wore black leather armor, carried a whip with spellstoring, and she would heal through whip attacks. It was awesome being a dominarix and all.

Manly Man
2012-07-20, 09:04 PM
A friend of mine had done something similar by enchanting his gunslinger's pistol with Cure Moderate Wounds. He'd pop you in the back and while you'd hurt like Hell for the first moment of it, you'd end up healing far more than you lost.

StreamOfTheSky
2012-07-20, 11:56 PM
Shadow Sun Ninja PrC from Tome of Battle at level 1 gets the ability to deal negative energy damage in one round, then the next time he uses the ability, it heals for the amount of neg. energy dealt. And can rinse and repeat all day long. While it's mechanically a touch attack, the amount dealt/healed is equal to your unarmed damage, so it'd be really easy to re-fluff.

Just be a Necropolitan or other undead / Tomb-Tainted Soul or have one in your party, and you get basically infinite healing (by healing the undead/yourself w/ the negative energy between the healing touches...err...punches).

Doorhandle
2012-07-21, 12:15 AM
Just be a Necropolitan or other undead / Tomb-Tainted Soul or have one in your party, and you get basically infinite healing (by healing the undead/yourself w/ the negative energy between the healing touches...err...punches).

Don't think that would work. Wouldn't it technically heal undead and thus not heal the other guy because it did no damage?

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-21, 12:33 AM
Necklace of Natural Attacks (Wrathful Healing)
Martial Spirit Stance
Cure X Wounds
Amulet of Retributive Healing

Punch someone while using Cure X Wounds. Deal Y damage. Heal Z damage (result from C X wounds). Heal half Y damage to yourself (wrathful healing). Heal Z damage to yourself (amule of retributive healing).

StreamOfTheSky
2012-07-21, 12:57 AM
Don't think that would work. Wouldn't it technically heal undead and thus not heal the other guy because it did no damage?

Touch of the Shadow Sun specifically mentions that it will heal undead since it's negative energy. Says nothing of this occurance preventing the normal / positive energy healing from working.
Does of course say you can't use the pos. or neg. touch again till you've discharged the other kind in between, so seems pretty clear that it still works, even if your negative energy is healing people.

It's not a "steal life force" vampiric touch sort of thing. It's a yin and yang, light and shadow, maintaining the balance sort of thing.

Thomasinx
2012-07-21, 02:10 AM
Inquisitor's Bracers (from MiC)

3 times a day- when activated: a cure moderate wounds effect is added to your next strike.

Slipperychicken
2012-07-21, 06:42 PM

3 times a day- when activated: a cure moderate wounds effect is added to your next strike.

Using custom magic item rules to make that infinite-use, I'm getting 1500gp (base price for 3/day) x (5/3 charges) = 2500gp.

However, an unlimited-use, use-activated CL5 Cure Moderate item is 20,000gp.

animewatcha
2012-07-21, 09:00 PM
custom magic item rules are what page of what book? Also, what about unlimited-use healing belt?

Crasical
2012-07-21, 09:18 PM

Hm. An Eternal Wand of Cure Moderate Wounds is 4420gp. The Inquisitor's Bracers are only 1500. That's not a bad bargain.

EDIT: Combine with a Whip for healing you can dispense at range!

Slipperychicken
2012-07-21, 09:29 PM
custom magic item rules are what page of what book? Also, what about unlimited-use healing belt?

The SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm). AFAIK, they're in the MIC.

I... used the guidelines to reverse-calculate the cost of the Inquisitor's Bracers, sans charge-restriction. Normally, to determine cost of an X-charges-per-day item, you divide the "unlimited" cost by (5/X). So I instead multiplied it by that number to get the "unlimited" cost.

Be aware that these are just guidelines, and exceptions exist. For example: an Unlimited-Uses Use-Activated Sword of True-Strike is worth a lot more than the guidelines suggest, and should be either banned outright or have a cost in the millions.

Zombulian
2012-07-21, 09:31 PM
Dragon Mag #318 I think it is, has pressure point strikes that monks can use. Some of them do healing abilities or get rid of paralyzation and the like.

TheMightyQuinn
2012-07-21, 09:50 PM
We had a player that wanted to make a cleric / archer. The problem was, after a few sessions it was apparent he just wanted to make an archer, and refused to heal anyone.

We came up with "Arrows of Healing" - Effectively potions of healing that he could use as a standard action. They were less effective, since he had to subract the arrow damage (Heavan forbid he rolled a crit) and he had to hit our AC, but it was humorous.

Oh yeah - we made him pay for all the costs himself too. :smallbiggrin:

animewatcha
2012-07-21, 10:17 PM
The SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm). AFAIK, they're in the MIC.

I... used the guidelines to reverse-calculate the cost of the Inquisitor's Bracers, sans charge-restriction. Normally, to determine cost of an X-charges-per-day item, you divide the "unlimited" cost by (5/X). So I instead multiplied it by that number to get the "unlimited" cost.

Be aware that these are just guidelines, and exceptions exist. For example: an Unlimited-Uses Use-Activated Sword of True-Strike is worth a lot more than the guidelines suggest, and should be either banned outright or have a cost in the millions.

You are gonna hafta walk me through it. Cause I tried that way and wound up with 30k not 20k and even then I got lost in the graph between "charges per day" and "use-activated, continous" on there.

@mightyquinn: One of the dragon mags had 'healing bolts' essentially healing bolts of pelor or something that heals 1d8. Damaged undead by same if fail will save. I think it was 180ish a bolt. From there, might be able to establish cost per arrow.

-edit-

Also, found the healing arrows in masters of the wild ( 3.0 ) book. Is that cost applied per arrow or stack of 50 arrows? How would one update the price for 3.5?

Zombulian
2012-07-21, 10:42 PM
We had a player that wanted to make a cleric / archer. The problem was, after a few sessions it was apparent he just wanted to make an archer, and refused to heal anyone.

We came up with "Arrows of Healing" - Effectively potions of healing that he could use as a standard action. They were less effective, since he had to subract the arrow damage (Heavan forbid he rolled a crit) and he had to hit our AC, but it was humorous.

Oh yeah - we made him pay for all the costs himself too. :smallbiggrin:

Right, because all clerics need to be healers :smallannoyed:.

TheMightyQuinn
2012-07-22, 12:46 AM
Right, because all clerics need to be healers :smallannoyed:.

No, not all clerics need to be healers, but this on DID need to be a healer - that's why he went with cleric, rather than say, ranger with ranged combat.

Anyways - it was just a fun story to lead into our solution to healing with damage.

Amoren
2012-07-22, 04:29 AM

Actually, it might not be too bad. They'd still have to use a standard action to activate the item, after all, and it still only applies to their next hit in the next action. It's not like its going to be a persistent, always working True Strike (or at least, that's how I'd determine the resulting magic item would work).

Razanir
2012-07-22, 05:31 PM
Real story from my adventures: I was running a gestalt campaign with CORE + whatever book has monster classes. One guy had a Cleric//Monk. His shtick was casting heal spells on the Wizard//Mind FlayerSquid guy with his first punch in Fury of Blows, then using the rest to do damage to whatever bad guy they were fighting

Ziegander
2012-07-22, 07:14 PM
I always liked the hypodermic needle of cure X wounds approach myself. Fine-sized Darts deal 1 damage, and spell-storing per Dart costs 40g and 5 silver pieces. Fill with Cure spells, use as necessary. Also capable of being reused or used for buff spells.

Pika...
2012-07-22, 07:21 PM
there is a weapon ability, from the World of Warcraft Campaign Setting by sword & sorcery if i recall correctly, called "Healing" or smth that let's u turn the damage from the enchanted weapon to healing, up to 100 points per day. You can pt it to gauntlets or hand wraps and have 100points of damage per day turn to healing, at will.

edit:Actually it must be from the "More Magic and Mayhem" supplement of the said setting.

I LOVE YOU!!!

I am so putting that item as treasure in my campaign. Right before a midboss battle. :smallbiggrin:

The Glyphstone
2012-07-22, 07:56 PM
No, not all clerics need to be healers, but this on DID need to be a healer - that's why he went with cleric, rather than say, ranger with ranged combat.

Anyways - it was just a fun story to lead into our solution to healing with damage.

He should have been an Archivist anyways. Better archer than a cleric or a ranger, and can still heal to boot plus real class features [/missingthepoint]

Sadly, the only way I know of is Inquisitor's Bracers, which were already mentioned.