PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Character levels on a mimic?

Crasical
2012-07-20, 05:28 AM
I've decided it's time for me to bury the hatchet I have with Mimics, seeing as how Pathfinder finally did them a much needed favor and downgraded them to medium sized (no more horse-sized treasure chests!), and include one in one of my games. I decided, though, that I wanted to go whole hog on this one. This is going to be a special mimic. This is going to be (possibly) the world's first adventurer mimic.

The question is, what class levels should it have? Mimics have three strong character traits: Sticky bodies that let them auto-grapple, high strength and con for durability, and a +20 on rolls to disguise itself as an inanimate object. I want to emphasize these traits and play to the creature's strengths, particularly the grappling. So far the only good ideas I've come up with a are 'Rogue (With strangler feat)' and 'Monk'. One of my friends suggested Bard, for the Music Box pun, but the stats don't really support it.

So what do you think, playground? If you where a mimic, what would you take your character levels in?

Thurbane
2012-07-20, 08:10 AM
Nothing to add other than an obligatory Rusty & Co (http://rustyandco.com/comic/1/) link...

QuidEst
2012-07-20, 10:54 AM
Nothing to add other than an obligatory Rusty & Co (http://rustyandco.com/comic/1/) link...

Beat me to it. XP

If I were a mimic, I would put my class levels into Master Summoner and become Pandora's Box. Not much use on the grappling front, but being a magic box means you can get yourself into all sorts of places. Moreover, you can get yourself carried around places. Yes, the stats are rubbish. Needs some serious CHA boosting pronto- but five SLA summons/day is still great, and being a Summoner who looks like a rock is an awesome position to be in.

Now, in keeping with the intent to use all the class features (and passing up the hilarious option of a mimic Barbarian), I'd agree on Rogue or Monk. You can't exactly play most caster classes, and anything focusing on swinging a sword just doesn't make sense.

The Redwolf
2012-07-20, 10:56 AM
You mentioned the grappling, how about a monk with the tetori archetype? They're straight up grapplers and that would fit with the stats they have and what you seem to be looking at doing.

Blyte
2012-07-20, 06:29 PM
If I were a mimic, I would put my class levels into Master Summoner and become Pandora's Box.

great ideer

Tokuhara
2012-07-20, 07:53 PM
I say the following:

Race: Gliding Hypersenses Mutable Strikes Mimic (CR4)
Class: Rogue 16

Flight at CR4, the ability to do B/P/S with an improved slam, and immunity to flanking???

Plus, you could have an MGS moment of the "following box"

grarrrg
2012-07-20, 08:17 PM
Crasical: You never said what level we're aiming for.

You mentioned the grappling, how about a monk with the tetori archetype? They're straight up grapplers and that would fit with the stats they have and what you seem to be looking at doing.

Unless you change the default alignment, this won't work. Mimic's are TN.

(and passing up the hilarious option of a mimic Barbarian)

Actually, I REALLY like this idea.
The +10ft. movement REALLY helps, but more importantly, you can make REALLY stupid jokes like "In Soviet Russia, Chest smash open YOU!"
And Mimic's have good STR/CON already, why NOT Rage?

Race: Gliding Hypersenses Mutable Strikes Mimic (CR4)
Class: Rogue 16

Flight at CR4, the ability to do B/P/S with an improved slam, and immunity to flanking

You forgot Gillfoot (+0 CR) for the ability to ALWAYS be able to 5ft. step.

Depending on what level you are aiming for, I would add either Adaptive Resistance (+1, higher levels) for the Resist Energy 20, or Otherworldly Resilience (+1, lower levels) for DR 5/Adamantine.