PDA

View Full Version : Baron Munchhausen vs Batman

Flickerdart
2012-07-20, 10:48 AM
The two masters of the ass-pull square off! Batman (Adam West Batman or Brave & Bold Batman - one of the silly ones, in other words) gets pulled into 1770s Istanbul. He appears on the middle of the street and immediately sees a gang of ridiculously costumed men carrying a pile of loot, with what looks like the sultan's lackeys chasing after them (a familiar situation indeed). What Batman doesn't know is that this is the group of Baron Munchhausen, who in this scenario is the fictional and not historical figure. He has with him the men from the 1989 film - Berthold, the world's fastest runner; Adolphus, a rifleman with superhuman eyesight; Gustavus, who possesses extraordinary hearing, and sufficient lung power to knock down an army by exhaling; and the fantastically strong Albrecht. The Baron himself is of course an extraordinary character in his own right, almost foolishly brave and able to produce extremely oblique solutions to problems. Batman has Robin, and might be able to forge a working alliance with the Ottoman sultan.

Can Batman stop Munchhausen from getting away with the goods, or failing that, track him down, defeat him and his gang and return the goods to the Sultan?

zorenathres
2012-07-20, 01:17 PM
upon visiting the sultan's harem for information on the thieves, batman would undoubtedly ... become caught in a complex web of lies & deceit as he tries to escape the sultans clutches, while the sultan thinks he has just found the perfect sonata for his torture piano.

Eldan
2012-07-20, 06:08 PM
I am not familiar with the film in question, only a book version of the story. But I just want to say that this might be the best vs. thread I've ever seen. I think it beats Gilgamesh and Odysseus vs. Cu Chulainn and Beowulf by quite a bit.

Hm. I am not too familiar with silly Batman. The Adam West show never ran here and we only get comics in collected trade paperback format from after the eighties, and only those usually seen as the best (i.e. mostly the gritty stuff). But the internet tells me he is very silly.

But I can not possibly let the Baron lose. I love him, and he has only been beaten once, by Captain Bluebear.

Flickerdart
2012-07-20, 08:23 PM
Hm. I am not too familiar with silly Batman. The Adam West show never ran here and we only get comics in collected trade paperback format from after the eighties, and only those usually seen as the best (i.e. mostly the gritty stuff). But the internet tells me he is very silly.
West's utility belt contains things like Bat Shark Repellent. B:TB&TB is, well, this (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WesternAnimation/BatmanTheBraveAndTheBold). It's pretty safe to assume that whatever the plot needs, Batman will have in the belt. Even if it's nachos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg5QBrwKF94).

Raimun
2012-07-20, 10:46 PM
... :smallconfused:

Beats me.

Quirp
2012-07-21, 05:46 AM
Since Batman doesn't kill, Munchhausen will survive. If Munchhausen survives he gets to tell the story and then it will not be important what really happened. So in the end Munchhausen wins.

Kato
2012-07-21, 07:48 AM
Since Batman doesn't kill, Munchhausen will survive. If Munchhausen survives he gets to tell the story and then it will not be important what really happened. So in the end Munchhausen wins.

Good point :smallbiggrin:

I wasn't aware Munchhausen was popular outside of... well, Germany for the most part. Then again I wasn't aware of the movie either.

Eldan
2012-07-21, 09:14 AM
I had no idea either. That said, it's a Terry Gilliam movie with a few good actors in it, so it might be worth hunting down.

The Glyphstone
2012-07-21, 09:15 AM
I didn't know he had a movie. I'd only heard of the rules-light RPG based around the character.

wadledo
2012-07-21, 01:00 PM
I didn't know he had a movie. I'd only heard of the rules-light RPG based around the character.

The movie is excellent, if a bit odd, and I would highly recommend it to whomever enjoys bittersweet comedies.

Eldan
2012-07-21, 01:03 PM
It can't be bad. The Wiki summary says it has the Moon King in it.

Morph Bark
2012-07-21, 01:17 PM

Clever. I do agree.

That movie sounds like one I will have to see.

Flickerdart
2012-07-21, 01:49 PM
While this is true, Batman's objective here is defeating Munchhausen and his group and getting back the treasure, not ending him once and for all.

Kato
2012-07-21, 04:34 PM
While this is true, Batman's objective here is defeating Munchhausen and his group and getting back the treasure, not ending him once and for all.

It still stands to reason that Munchhausen will under any circumstances make it "the true story" that he bested Batman unless Batman ends him.

Kris Strife
2012-07-21, 09:12 PM
It still stands to reason that Munchhausen will under any circumstances make it "the true story" that he bested Batman unless Batman ends him.

Bat Historical Accuracy Spray. :smalltongue:

Eldan
2012-07-22, 06:43 AM
Or, slightly less silly, some kind of truth serum.

dehro
2012-07-22, 01:52 PM
Munchhausen has it hands down.
if nothing else because he'll be the one telling the story afterwards, while the dark knight sits brooding in his cave.. and because it will piss off any batman fan who tries to take this thread seriously.. which you can't do because it has Munchhausen in it

Kris Strife
2012-07-22, 02:11 PM
if nothing else because he'll be the one telling the story afterwards, while the dark knight sits brooding in his cave.. and because it will piss off any batman fan who tries to take this thread seriously.. which you can't do because it has Munchhausen in it

We're using Adam West/The Brave and The Bold Batman, neither of which are exactly Dark Knights. :smalltongue:

Also, I'm pretty sure Adam West Batman had a Bat Anti Brooding Device included in his utility belt, just in case. :smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2012-07-22, 02:16 PM
What wins - Munchhausen's telling of the story after the fact, or Batman's ability to reset the continuity? :smalltongue:

Aidan305
2012-07-22, 02:20 PM
I'm not allowed to play Baron Munchhausen any more.

But that's a story for another time.

Anyway, as has been said, even if Batman wins the encounter, Munchhausen will be the one regaling the crowds with the tale in the end, and thus history will record him as being the winner.

snoopy13a
2012-07-22, 02:26 PM

We know, for a fact, that Batman and Robin will engage in fisticuffs with Munchhausen and his henchman. For some strange reason, each time someone lands a punch or a kick, words such as "Pow," "Slam," "Bop," etc. will appear.

Batman and Robin will appear to have the upper hand in the fight but Munchhausen will somehow turn the tables--leaving the Caped Crusader and the Boy Wonder in a nefarious deathtrap. In this case, attack by rabid raccoons. Our brave heroes will escape, as Batman will pull out Bat-Turkish Delight from his utility belt. The rabid raccoons will gorge themselves on the Bat-Turkish Delight and pass out. Batman and Robin escape.

The Dynamic Duo will then jump into the Bat-Horse-and-Carriage and track down the villians. Once again, fisticuffs erupt with the same strange words appearing. As this is the second fight, Batman and Robin win and the vile fiends are arrested and sent to Turkish prison. Inevitably, the villians will escape sometime during Season 2.

Kato
2012-07-22, 05:12 PM
Well, I sat down and saw the movie this evening. It was pretty okay and kind of funny at times though the end somewhat confused me... maybe because I wasn't paying attention for a moment.

But what really stuck in my mind... HOLY ****, I saw half of Uma Thurman's nipple! That, and I don't like how Death comes of as a soul grabbing jerk in this movie. Maybe I read too much discworld.

Eldan
2012-07-22, 05:16 PM
Wait, Death is in this movie?

Holy Crap, I saw that as a child. Now I remember. Death gave me nightmares for months.

Now I have to hunt it down again.

Telonius
2012-07-24, 01:10 PM
Hmm ... Batman has already faced an enemy with similar powers to the Baron - Ace of the Royal Flush Gang, in Justice League. (Reality warping, specifically). I imagine this will work out approximately the same way it did there - Bats will realize what's going on eventually, and work it out so the narrative will permit them to team up.