PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Creating a monster with a Grappling toungue

Zombiegirl89
2012-07-20, 12:29 PM
Yes. a grappling tongue, and now if you will excuse me, i need to include a disclaimer for one of my players, whom i know reads these forums.

CRAIG IF YOU READ THIS I WILL ADD LEVEL DRAIN AND ARCANE SIGHT, AND GIVE THEM A VORACIOUS APPETITE FOR MAGES.

there. that's been dealt with, i can actually explain what i'm trying to do. this is the first 100% custom creature i'm making, and sadly the person i turn to for help like this is the player mentioned in the above disclaimer... he's playing in this game... (also he's incredibly trustworthy so i know he won't read this ^_^)

The second frame (http://www.dominic-deegan.com/view.php?date=2010-09-22) of this comic inspired what this creature looked like, and even though that thing isn't his tongue, that's the first thing i thought of when i saw it all those years ago. I want to create three different versions of this creature. a lesser, regular, and greater version.

Important Conceptual things to know:
*these are creatures that once belonged to a chaotic neutral Diety of winter and Death, named Solange.
* for in game reasons, i need these creatures to have Damage Reduction /Lawful
* their primary attack is their grapple, witch they use to reel in their pray
* once the prey is reeled in, they slowly drain them of (life? but i don't want level drain)
* my original concept was to have them Con drain, but now i'm not sure. i could just have them do negative energy damage.
* i want a way to work the winter/cold aspect of the deity into this. that is the god's primary aspect.

* Lesser - CR 4
* Regular - CR 6 (or 8)
* Greater - CR 8 (or 12)

I have no idea where to go from here. i would appreciate any help i could get.

Tyndmyr
2012-07-20, 12:33 PM
Honestly, my first step in statting monsters is to steal wildly. I'd probably flip open Frostburn, and see if there's something close.

That_guy_there
2012-07-20, 01:26 PM
I agree with Tyndmyr on the stealing of other creatures. Though i prefer to call it "modifying".

The Bone Drinker (MMIII page 19) might work for you with a little refluffing and some swapping out of features. It even comes in Greater and lesser versions (CR 6 and CR4 respecively). Just swap out their DR silver for law, and call their "Bonedrink" ablility something more relevant.

OldFart
2012-07-20, 01:40 PM
Tyndmyr's suggestion is a good one. You might also want to borrow abilities and attacks from existing creatures.

I’d suggest the Mohrg or Roper for the grappling tongue effect. If you have access to MMIII, look at the Chraal for cold aura ideas. If you have Libris Mortis, check out Bleakborn - since your creatures were created by a deity of cold and death, these might require the least modification.

Snowbluff
2012-07-20, 02:06 PM
Pathfinder's Giant Frog can grapple with their tongue. The rules are pretty good, imo.

Azoth
2012-07-20, 02:06 PM
Fun with templates time.

Reptilian template DotU +1LA massive hide bonus + a 10' tongue attack it doesn't do damage but is a nice base.

Arctic template +0 LA buff to con minus cha. Gives minor fire/cold weakness/benefits also gives ray of frost as an SLA.

Normally for a +1la/cr DR from 5-10 is acceptable.

I guess small con damage would be okay. Let's see what we can do.

Lesser creature:

Size/Type: Medium Outsider (cold chaotic)
Hit Dice: 7d8+14 (45HP)
Initiative: +10
Speed: 50ft/burrow 30ft
AC: 21 (+6 dex +5 natural) FF: 15 Touch: 16
Base Attack/Grapple: 7/13
Attack: Tongue +13 mele touch (special) Arctic Ray +13 ranged touch (special)
Full Attack: Tongue +13 mele touch (special) Arctic Ray +13 ranged touch (special)
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft (20ft with tongue)
Special Attacks: Life Drain, Constrict, Reel In, Arctic Ray
Special Qualities: Dark Vision 60ft, Tremor sense 30ft, Immunity to Acid, Cold, Poison, Resistance Electricity 10, Fire Vulnerablitly, DR 5 Lawful
Saves: FORT 7 REF 11 WILL 6
Abilities: STR 14 DEX 23 CON 14 INT 12 WIS 12 CHA 10
Skills: Balance: 16 Bluff 10 Hide* 26 Knowledge (Planes) 11 Listen 11 Move Silently* 20 Search 11 Spot 11 Tumble 16
Feats: Improved Initiative, Weapon Finess, Improved Grapple
CR:4
Organization solitary, pack (2-4), Unit (5-10)
* This creature recieves a racial +10 to hide and +4 to move silently checks in artic or other cold weather regions.

Tongue: These creatures have an amazingly long tongue that can be fired out of their mouth. While it does no damage on its own it can be used to initiate a grapple from 20 feet away as a touch attack. The creature is not considered grappled while its opponent is on a failed check.

Constrict: Any creature caught in a grapple with the creature's tongue automatically takes 1d6+2 damage if they fail an opposed grapple check.

Life Drain: Every round a creature is held in a grapple they take 1 point of CON damage. This creature heals 7 hit point for every point of con damage it causes. Any above its max are treated as temporary hit points that last for one hour. It can not gain more temporary hit points than half its max normal HP.

Reeled in: On a failed grapple attempt the target of the grapple is automatically drawn at half speed towards the creature regardless of terrain as long as the target weighs less than the creature's maximum drag capacity. This ability can be used reactively and takes no action on the creature.

Arctic Ray(Su): As a standard action the creature may fire a ray of chatic cold energy at a creature within 60 feet dealing 1d6 cold and 1d6 chaotic energy. Any creature struck by this ray must make a DC 15 Fort save or only be allowed a move or standard action for 7 rounds. Save DC is Con based and CL equals HD.

LanSlyde
2012-07-20, 02:20 PM
While I have no mechanical advice, when I read your title the first thing that game to mind was the monsters from the Tremors series. Hell, they even solve your problem of having 3 versions. Granted you would have to mod them for the laters versions to still have tongues, but it still works. The 1st versions come with tremor sense, the 2nd versions get lifesight or 'thermal vision' because they are going to be ice based, so seeing heatsources seems pretty fitting. Then the finaly versions get thermal vision and flight.

... I'm going to go roll up some graboids now. |^_^|

Azoth
2012-07-20, 02:20 PM
If that is too strong for CR4 bump it to CR6 and consider it the normal version. I think it is a killer ambush monster. Great for those cold caves or baren arctic plains where everything seems alright.

Typical tactics would be for them to lie in wait for prey/opponents. When dinner gets in range of their tongue attack they would fire out and try to pull them away from the group into the snow. If outmatched or outnumbered they would fire the arctic ray at the biggest or nearest threat before attempting to flee.

I know the hide is high but by level 4 a dedicated scout's spot would be: 7 ranks + 2 mw tool + 1-4 wis mod. For a range of 10-14. So while difficult to find not truly impossible.

Zombiegirl89
2012-07-20, 03:04 PM
Holy crap i go get my oil changed and this is what i come back to? you guys are AMAZING!

i don't even know where to begin! ^_^ but in a good way this time.

I'm trying to picture my party fighting this. i want it to be a difficult fight, but i don't want to kill them. its the end of act one, in my five act game. Only the Fighter has DR Law. but she doesn't know she has it. this is how she's going to find out what the small orb her entire convent died to protect is. ^_^

all 3rd level
* pole-arm fighter
* Cleric of war and strength
* Duskblade wielding a scythe
* a rogue wielding a single dagger
* an Abjurer

If that is too strong for CR4 bump it to CR6 and consider it the normal version. I think it is a killer ambush monster. Great for those cold caves or baren arctic plains where everything seems alright.

Typical tactics would be for them to lie in wait for prey/opponents. When dinner gets in range of their tongue attack they would fire out and try to pull them away from the group into the snow. If outmatched or outnumbered they would fire the arctic ray at the biggest or nearest threat before attempting to flee.

I know the hide is high but by level 4 a dedicated scout's spot would be: 7 ranks + 2 mw tool + 1-4 wis mod. For a range of 10-14. So while difficult to find not truly impossible.

i have not once Ambushed this party. they've managed to Ambush my ambush party at least once. the jerk-faces... so this creature is my revenge. summoning circle that is hidden on the ceiling and will trigger when they kill the cleric whom hopefully they'll believe is the big fight of this act... ^_^

i was thinking that it did seem to be a little much for CR 4, so it will need to be toned down. CR 6 would work for that.

Tyndmyr
2012-07-20, 03:07 PM
Pathfinder's Giant Frog can grapple with their tongue. The rules are pretty good, imo.

These also exist in D&D. RttToEE has one in it, for instance.

Azoth
2012-07-20, 03:26 PM
For CR6 I would bump its HD a bit and change the mods for life drain and arctic ray accordingly. Mainly the HD. Also beware the rider effect for the arctic ray at CR6 won't be nearly as effective with so many mele's in the party.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-20, 08:41 PM
These also exist in D&D. RttToEE has one in it, for instance.

There's also 4 different kinds of giant frog in OA. One of them even has the kind of tongue attack the OP is after.