PDA

View Full Version : Fire Warrior?

GolemsVoice
2012-07-20, 12:46 PM
Does anybody know anything about the Warhammer 40K shooter Fire Warrior? I've read a few online reviews that basically said it's not bad, but nothing outstanding, but I'm thinking of buying it if I find it cheap somewhere. Could you recommend it?

Zorg
2012-07-20, 02:04 PM
For me, as a 40k fan, it is most notable for being the only instance of an outside group creating something that later came into the tabletop game (the Rail Rifle).

The game itself plays well enough, there are some fun bits and it is great to be able to run around inside a 40k ship or battle marines... but as a shooter it is thoroughly mediocre. It's not bad, but it probably hasn't aged terribly well.

Get it if you like 40k and haven't gotten Space Marine yet, or really like the Tau (or it's really cheap).

Maugan Ra
2012-07-20, 04:24 PM
I remember having this game and playing through it several years ago. It's a decent enough game, not particularly terrible or outstanding, really, though thinking back it has certainly aged quite a bit.

As a 40k game, it's not bad if you can avoid trying to work out how a raw Fire Warrior recruit manages to single handed lay take on and kill what has to be at least a regiment of Imperial Guard and something close to a Company of Space Marines over the course of the game. And a company of Chaos Marines, with assorted support troops. And a daemon prince. With nothing more than man portable weapons.

That said, the Space Marines are rather well done - which is to say intimidating as all hell. They pretty much just come on at you in a relentless fashion, soaking entire clips of pulse rifle fire as though it's a light breeze, and blasting away with bolters that act more like cannons.

You will also grow to despise Chaos Raptors. Just trust me on that one.

Maugan Ra
2012-07-20, 04:25 PM
I remember having this game and playing through it several years ago. It's a decent enough game, not particularly terrible or outstanding, really, though thinking back it has certainly aged quite a bit.

As a 40k game, it's not bad if you can avoid trying to work out how a raw Fire Warrior recruit manages to single handed lay take on and kill what has to be at least a regiment of Imperial Guard and something close to a Company of Space Marines over the course of the game. And a company of Chaos Marines, with assorted support troops. And a daemon prince. With nothing more than man portable weapons.

That said, the Space Marines are rather well done - which is to say intimidating as all hell. They pretty much just come on at you in a relentless fashion, soaking entire clips of pulse rifle fire as though it's a light breeze, and blasting away with bolters that act more like cannons.

You will also grow to despise Chaos Raptors. Just trust me on that one.

Cespenar
2012-07-21, 12:53 AM

Not that different from how your run-of-the-mill sergeant almost singlehandedly wins the WWII, which describes more than a handful of games.

At least in soft science fiction settings we can spout some random BS and still be more believable than the aforementioned WWII games. Like, Tzeentch did it, for example. :smalltongue:

DaedalusMkV
2012-07-21, 02:29 AM
In this case, blame Khorne. According to the novelization (which is awful, BTW), Kais was blessed by the Blood God right from the moment he murdered his first squad of Guardsmen without breaking a sweat, and had been hit with Khornate blessings to the point that he was nigh immortal by the end of the game. It makes as much sense as anything.

The game itself is okay. Not great, but okay. It's an utterly mediocre shooter that happens to be set in something vaguely resembling the 40k universe, with bad multiplayer. If you really want to play a 40k FPS and find it in the bargain bin, go ahead. Otherwise, don't bother.

... Watch your spacing! :smallbiggrin:

Hazzardevil
2012-07-21, 02:34 AM
I believe how the Fire Warrior did do it is explained:
http://media.steampowered.com/steamcommunity/public/images/avatars/6c/6cda4c32c1b4ef68a73e32fb81929da4f04a8053_full.jpg
In essence, Khorne helped him do it.

Edit:

In this case, blame Khorne. According to the novelization (which is awful, BTW), Kais was blessed by the Blood God right from the moment he murdered his first squad of Guardsmen without breaking a sweat, and had been hit with Khornate blessings to the point that he was nigh immortal by the end of the game. It makes as much sense as anything.

The game itself is okay. Not great, but okay. It's an utterly mediocre shooter that happens to be set in something vaguely resembling the 40k universe, with bad multiplayer. If you really want to play a 40k FPS and find it in the bargain bin, go ahead. Otherwise, don't bother.

... Watch your spacing! :smallbiggrin:

Spoilers!

Haruspex_Pariah
2012-07-21, 02:46 AM
I played it ages ago, when Tau were relatively new and I had distanced myself from 40k as a whole. Took me a while to realize that the protagonist was neither human nor Eldar.

It's pretty meh, like the reviews said. You could be generous and call it a good first effort for an FPS in the 40k universe (released in 2003). If you want to complete your Warhammer 40,000 video game collection, and it's cheap, might as well. Otherwise, I recommend Space Marine instead (I only played the demo, but it was more exciting than the entirety of Fire Warrior).

GolemsVoice
2012-07-21, 04:07 AM
I've played Space Marine and had a blast, I'm just looking to complete my collection, as you said. Should I ever find it cheap, I'll buy it. My tastes are pretty stretchable :-)

Cespenar
2012-07-21, 04:15 AM
In this case, blame Khorne.

Of course, that's what Tzeentch wants you to do.

Hazzardevil
2012-07-21, 05:40 AM
Of course, that's what Tzeentch wants you to do.

And Slaanesh will enjoy every minute of it.

Ricky S
2012-07-22, 08:26 AM
Fun little game. At the time I was obsessed with tau so fire warrior was what really got me into 40k. I still to this day dont know why they chose to release a game with tau instead of space marines.

It did give you a sense of how badass space marines were though. I remember when I first encountered a space marine I had to use all my grenades and most of my ammo to kill him. Fighting 4 at once was almost impossible.

A fun little fact about kais (the guy you play as) he was only 10 at the time he went on that crazy quest.

The Glyphstone
2012-07-22, 08:47 AM
Just, by the love of whatever you find holy, never try to read the novelization.

Hazzardevil
2012-07-22, 10:24 AM
Just, by the love of whatever you find holy, never try to read the novelization.

Tell us, how horrible was it?
Eragon bad?
Or young child level of quality?

The Glyphstone
2012-07-22, 10:49 AM
Tell us, how horrible was it?
Eragon bad?
Or young child level of quality?

Eragon if written by a young(er) child?

GolemsVoice
2012-07-22, 11:59 AM
Damn that's bad

Hazzardevil
2012-07-22, 02:52 PM
Wow, that is amazingly bad.

Winthur
2012-07-23, 05:04 AM
Does this video do it justice? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsvtWoQNuxs)

(I know I can't read Philip Athans without having this video on standby)

elizasteave
2012-07-23, 05:59 AM
Regarding fire warrior, I have never come across this game. In addition to that I even don't know that how much would it cost now, but looking to the reviews here, I think now that definitely this game should be given out a try. I felt it quite interesting through here. Thanks community for sharing.

Spacewolf
2012-07-24, 12:59 PM
The cutscenes are actually pretty entertaining though as they go into full Grim dark mode pretty often

Eldan
2012-07-24, 03:11 PM
Good idea, actually. The cut scenes are Quite (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUkyAt6CJgU)Good. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzzzOGLztRE&feature=relmfu)

Edit:
And it has BRIAN BLESSED! in a speaking role.

Dragonus45
2012-07-25, 11:32 AM
Quick question, i remember seeing somewhere that the Shas'o Commander from the DOW games was the same fire warrior from here. Assuming its true what is the evidence of it? Or is it just one of those it would be cool if kind of things.

Hazzardevil
2012-07-25, 11:39 AM
Quick question, i remember seeing somewhere that the Shas'o Commander from the DOW games was the same fire warrior from here. Assuming its true what is the evidence of it? Or is it just one of those it would be cool if kind of things.

I believe that it wasn't in Dawn of War but another game, but I think the "Evidence" was that a Shas'O had the same name as the main character in Fire Warrior only an extra bit on the end.

Dragonus45
2012-07-25, 12:51 PM
I believe that it wasn't in Dawn of War but another game, but I think the "Evidence" was that a Shas'O had the same name as the main character in Fire Warrior only an extra bit on the end.

Well that would make sense with how Tau names work. What other game has had tow in it though?

Hazzardevil
2012-07-25, 02:31 PM
Well that would make sense with how Tau names work. What other game has had tow in it though?

According to this page it was Dark Crusade.
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/La%27Kais

Maugan Ra
2012-07-25, 03:34 PM
Yeah, Kais from Fire Warrior is occasionally suggested to be Shas'O Kais from Dark Crusade. The name is all they have in common - no mention of previous events at all, and the good Shas'O displays an utter lack of Chaos knowledge if he is the original Kais. I don't really believe it, to be honest - considering Kais roughly translates as 'skilled' or 'skillful', it wouldn't surprise me to learn that it's a common enough name amongst the Tau.

Hazzardevil
2012-07-25, 03:41 PM
Yeah, Kais from Fire Warrior is occasionally suggested to be Shas'O Kais from Dark Crusade. The name is all they have in common - no mention of previous events at all, and the good Shas'O displays an utter lack of Chaos knowledge if he is the original Kais. I don't really believe it, to be honest - considering Kais roughly translates as 'skilled' or 'skillful', it wouldn't surprise me to learn that it's a common enough name amongst the Tau.

Not to mention Kais is a Nervous Wreck by the end of the game and would likely be unsuitable to command in the field.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-07-29, 08:12 PM
Does anybody know anything about the Warhammer 40K shooter Fire Warrior? I've read a few online reviews that basically said it's not bad, but nothing outstanding, but I'm thinking of buying it if I find it cheap somewhere. Could you recommend it?

Two words: Tom Baker.

Hazzardevil
2012-07-30, 07:25 AM
Two words: Tom Baker.

What does Doctor Who have to do with Warhammer 40K other than both being Sci-Fi?

Cikomyr
2012-07-30, 08:20 AM
Not to mention Kais is a Nervous Wreck by the end of the game and would likely be unsuitable to command in the field.

Nothing a good dose of Etheral Pheromones wouldn't cure.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-07-30, 11:34 AM
What does Doctor Who have to do with Warhammer 40K other than both being Sci-Fi?

Tom Baker narrates.

Hazzardevil
2012-07-30, 02:40 PM
I didn't believe that Tom Baker narrated it until I looked it up.

Wardog
2012-08-01, 01:08 PM
Eragon if written by a young(er) child?

Is it worse than the Baldur's Gate novelisation?

The Glyphstone
2012-08-01, 05:29 PM
Is it worse than the Baldur's Gate novelisation?

Have not read, cannot say for certain.

The odds are slim though, because it was merely awful, while D&D published fiction can reach untold levels of terrible.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-08-01, 07:20 PM
Because of this thread, I'm going to buy the Baldur's Gate novel on Amazon for one cent. And read it cover-to-cover.

Wish me luck!

Cikomyr
2012-08-01, 08:02 PM
Because of this thread, I'm going to buy the Baldur's Gate novel on Amazon for one cent. And read it cover-to-cover.

Wish me luck!

It's okay. I'm sure you will be able to chat with us with a keyboard for blind people.

The Glyphstone
2012-08-01, 08:07 PM
It's okay. I'm sure you will be able to chat with us with a keyboard for blind people.

Assuming we can interpret or translate his crazed, insane ramblings.

Cikomyr
2012-08-01, 11:59 PM
Assuming we can interpret or translate his crazed, insane ramblings.

We may. But the question is: do you want to?

GolemsVoice
2012-08-02, 08:53 AM
Let us play the Miskatonic University Hymn for our brave (but unfortunately doomed) reader-explorer. He died before his time, really.

Hazzardevil
2012-08-02, 03:34 PM
In case anyone is interested, I managed to buy a copy from a game in my area, it happened to be available for less than £10, so I bought it and I could start an LP if anyone is interested.

It will be an image one rather than a video unless someone recommends me a free video capture software like fraps, only free.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-08-02, 04:46 PM
Good God! The BG novel has a sequel! It must be mine!

Eldan
2012-08-02, 08:05 PM
Just... never read the Planescape novels.

Did you know that the only gods in Planescape are the Greek ones, and that the Lady of Pain is the daughter of Poseidon?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-08-02, 08:20 PM
Just... never read the Planescape novels.

Did you know that the only gods in Planescape are the Greek ones, and that the Lady of Pain is the daughter of Poseidon?

Maybe I should buy a batch of bad TSR novels, since its a couple of hours before I order BG.

Any suggestions? I want the worst of the worst. All shall be reviewed.

Hazzardevil
2012-08-03, 03:36 AM
Maybe I should buy a batch of bad TSR novels, since its a couple of hours before I order BG.

Any suggestions? I want the worst of the worst. All shall be reviewed.

Can you get an older version of the unsuspecting mage? It's really bad, I've been told it's been edited to make it better since I read it though.

Zorg
2012-08-03, 12:15 PM
If you're thinking of doing a review, check out B to the F - a page by page review of the Back to the Future novelisation (http://btothef.tumblr.com/), by Ryan North of Dinosaur Comics, for inspiration (and a good laugh).