PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5/PF gadgets!

B33rm4n
2012-07-20, 01:23 PM
I'm going to be rolling a goblin for our next campaign who focuses on engineering, bombs, traps and gadgets. I'm thinking about starting rogue simply for the extra skill points. (Using bonus fighter feats acl, sneak attack doesn't do much for the build i don't think.)
What i would like is a list of gadgets, explosives, honestly anything tech will do.
Homebrews are welcome and considered. Any sourcebook is allowed (except tome of battle, which probably doesn't offer much on the subject anyways.)

Things i am looking for
movement gadgets like jetpacks and rocket boots
combat gadgets like a pump action (shatter and magic stone in a tube? "shrugs")
or a flamethrower type weapon (remember, these are gadgets, i am not taking caster levels.)
Utility tools such as intelligent lockpicks or a plastic explosives knockoff.
Tis a bit vague but i'm hoping the gitp community can point out a couple nifty ideas.

kitcik
2012-07-20, 01:34 PM
D20 Modern sourcebooks...

Ravenica
2012-07-20, 01:44 PM
alchemist might be what you are looking for, bombs as a class feature as well as the ability to easily make alchemists fire and fireworks

B33rm4n
2012-07-20, 01:59 PM
D20 Modern sourcebooks...

This was mentioned at the table, our DM feels that i should have an explanation for such items to exist in the d&d setting. I am allowed to use a little splash of my own tastes, "like creating a green goblin glider out of some gp exp and a flying carpet."

kitcik
2012-07-20, 02:10 PM
D20 Modern sourcebooks and an enslaved gnome?

That_guy_there
2012-07-20, 02:42 PM
A pump action shouldn't be too hard to do, just modify a shotgun from pathfinder's ultimate combat.

Any sort of mine/ grenade could be done with a small container & Alchemist fire with a trip line (or using the Pathfinder Trapmaking Ranger Archetype)

Lots of stuff can be explained with a high enough Knowledge (Engineering) skill. Such as a manual chainsaw (a pully and some gears attatched to a rotating handle), A flame thrower (a bellows, a tube, a one-way valve, oil and a burning wick at the end of the tube),

there are plaenty of other things i'm sure you could do...

Tyndmyr
2012-07-20, 02:43 PM
Arms and Equipment is your new best friend.

Also, the "It's X outside" line is great for environment specific items.

Togath
2012-07-20, 02:55 PM
This was mentioned at the table, our DM feels that i should have an explanation for such items to exist in the d&d setting.

For the flame thrower you could probably just point out that flamethrowers were used by ancient greeks and several asian cultures. for it's fluff anyway

B33rm4n
2012-07-20, 09:23 PM
A pump action shouldn't be too hard to do, just modify a shotgun from pathfinder's ultimate combat.

Any sort of mine/ grenade could be done with a small container & Alchemist fire with a trip line (or using the Pathfinder Trapmaking Ranger Archetype)

Lots of stuff can be explained with a high enough Knowledge (Engineering) skill. Such as a manual chainsaw (a pully and some gears attatched to a rotating handle), A flame thrower (a bellows, a tube, a one-way valve, oil and a burning wick at the end of the tube),

there are plaenty of other things i'm sure you could do...

all of this is excellent thank you :)

Kulture
2012-07-20, 10:49 PM
Finally, something in my area of expertise :smallbiggrin:.

Flamers? Use a modified water dispenser.
It's a gallon of fluid in a 10x5ft line, meaning alchemist fire would do 8D6 damage in that line.

Mines? Fire stones in a small, covered hole will fill a 5ft square with save-free fire damage and ignition.

Pump action? Have a large drum filled with screamer flask test tubes and have it run by modified spring sheathe tech. Instantly you have a D8 sonic damage a shot version of the Armsel Striker.

Gliders? There's rules for it in ultimate combat's vehicle section.

Parachute cloak? Detailed in ultimate race guide under halfling, though it only works for small characters and is not as effective as you'd think.

Intelligent lock picks have the mechanical burglars in Song and Silence which can deal with varying levels of lock based on quality.

I believe Secrets of Sarlona had satchel charge rules though there are also rules for sabotage (even explosively aided sabotage) under disable device so that's worth looking into.

Want a LAW? Get a sky rocket, add a firestone warhead and fuse bomb charge, load it all into a new chassis and mount that in a modified scroll case for a highly portable, discrete method of doing upwards of 7D6 of damage with the right use of volatile catalyst.

Want a fully functional armored Humvee with a rack of rockets on a central turret?
It's essentially a metal carriage with an alchemical engine and a matchlock rack of the above LAW rockets, all easily doable with ultimate combat.
Average health of it is 240hp for 10x15x10 dimensions.

Want a thunder hammer for breaching doors? Gnomes of Golarion has one driven by a thunder stone.

Want a chainsaw glaive like in Gears of War 2? Gnomes of Golarion has the ripsaw glaive.

Grenade launcher? Gnomish Calculus.

Hidden scythe? Gnomish switch scythe.

A recreation of the Hellsing from Metro 2033? 6 large tube arrow shooters on a drill's rotary action and a crossbow's stock, all driven by spring sheathe actions. For added strength bonus you could drive it with a bottle of air and a hand pump.

Fuse bomb bolas, 'nuff said.

Re-purposed scroll tube with a small charge and a warhead to make a mortar.

Handy haversacks make good covert sniping locations if you can lay it down and climb inside with a breathing tube or snorkel.

Auran masks are essentially gas masks/air tanks.

A good bet for other items you'll want will be http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101

Ask if bicycles are invented in your DM's setting. If so, you can make one with an alchemical engine that can be controlled with your alchemy skill.

Want a main battle tank? Make one using Ultimate combat vehicle rules and use a colossal sized gnomish calculus for the main weapon, each round will do about 8D6 damage with average alchemical ammo.

Ultimate combat also has rules for Zeppelins.

Have dark vision? Want a constant night? Combining several darklight lanterns (fetchling section of ultimate race guide) will drop any 30ft area down to dark at the cost of 1 dose of shadow cloy per minute per light level.

If you acquire a large fortune there are rules for clockwork armour that gives heavy bonuses at the cost of ice vulnerability and a 55k price tag, as well a feat to use.

Also consider the gnomish crossbow scope, which lets you treat enemies as 2 range increments closer.

I'll post more stuff when I think of it.

B33rm4n
2012-07-22, 02:41 PM
These replies are exquisite. If i could also ask is there any class ideas anyone thinks would replicate this archetype well? (no factotum.) Maybe some feats to supplement the goblin engineering aspect?

Kulture
2012-07-22, 09:08 PM
There's the Techsmith, you get to build a gondsman, which is essentially a personal mech bodyguard which can be upgraded up to the nines. They also get an archaic version of bombs (upgrades to the renaissance rules in DMG, though you could argue for alchemist bomb progression), proficiency in firearms, an across board Improved criticals effect (!), 60ft telepathy with constructs, ability to ignore golem DR and at level 10 he instantly kills constructs on a crit, just like a mace of smiting.

He also gets full spell progression in his previous class.
Strangely they seem built as a divine class, since they also get bonus domains.
That said you could really pimp out a pathfinder alchemist with it, since it gets so much bonus stuff. The only problem is that you need to be able to cast minor creation, but that's doable with the race guide as an SLA or an alchemist acquisition (chaos flasks do the exact same thing, they're alchemical, there's precedence.)

They're in Faiths and Pantheons Forgotten realms book.

As for core classes, if you have PF access go alchemist, they get such great bonuses to alchemical weapons and they're so flexible that you can easily get by on your SCIENCE! alone.

Another prestige is Gnome artificer from magic of Faerun.
They turn their spells into non-magical gadgets, though it has a mix of rogue bab and saves, rogue entry requirements, a requirement to be able to cast 1st level illusion spells (Maybe get a SLA for that?) and requires a metric bugger-load of skill investment, requiring 7 different skills to enter (4 different crafts, including alchemy, disable device, knowledge engineering and profession (siege) engineer) and it costs a bucket load of cash to craft anything for the class.

There's also Tinker in Dragonlance's campaign setting (I found a transcript online since I don't own that book) which is very big on macguyvering stuff.

I also hear great things about the Iron Kingdoms books for making technological magical devices, but I'll have to track those books down before I can give you any more data.

Update: Had a look at the iron kingdoms book....Go get them...beat your group with the books until they play if necessary because this is exactly what you (and by proxy, me) have been looking for.

Wonton
2012-07-23, 01:55 AM
Dunno if this fits your idea of gadgets but one of my old characters had basically a "utility belt" (a Belt of Hidden Pouches, you can find it in the MIC), filled with all sorts of mundane equipment that could be useful in a pinch. The Belt of Hidden pouches has 10 ordinary concealed pockets and 20 magically concealed pockets - all of them extradimensional spaces that have larger inside volume than outside.

The 10 mundane pockets were filled with

1,0: Magnifying Glass
1,1: Signal Whistle
1,2: Chalk (10 white, pink, red, blue, green black)
1,3: Ink, inkpen
1,4: 10 pieces of paper, 10 pieces of parchment
1,5: 3 bells
1,6: 2 empty flasks
1,7: 3 empty vials
1,8: 10 copper pieces
1,9: 2 fishhooks

And the magically concealed pockets

2,0: 2 Thunderstones
2,1: 5 Alchemist's Fires
2,2: 5 Alchemist's Fires
2,3: 5 Flasks of Acid
2,4: 5 Flasks of Acid
2,5: Tanglefoot bag
2,6: Tanglefoot bag
2,7: Antitoxin, 10
2,8: Long-burning Alchemist's Fires, 2
2,9: 3 Average locks
3,0: 10 tindertwigs
3,1: 20 trail bars (PHB 2)
3,2: 20 clearwater tablets (PHB 2)

I never finished filling it (hard to think of enough stuff!), but some other ideas I had were: different types of poisons (contact/ingested/inhaled/injury), wands/scrolls for UMD users.

Obviously, mundane equipment becomes less useful as you level up, but there's still a lot of cool things that can be done with it if you're willing to use your imagination.

Aemoh87
2012-07-23, 05:21 AM
Finally, something in my area of expertise :smallbiggrin:.

Flamers? Use a modified water dispenser.
It's a gallon of fluid in a 10x5ft line, meaning alchemist fire would do 8D6 damage in that line.

Mines? Fire stones in a small, covered hole will fill a 5ft square with save-free fire damage and ignition.

Pump action? Have a large drum filled with screamer flask test tubes and have it run by modified spring sheathe tech. Instantly you have a D8 sonic damage a shot version of the Armsel Striker.

Gliders? There's rules for it in ultimate combat's vehicle section.

Parachute cloak? Detailed in ultimate race guide under halfling, though it only works for small characters and is not as effective as you'd think.

Intelligent lock picks have the mechanical burglars in Song and Silence which can deal with varying levels of lock based on quality.

I believe Secrets of Sarlona had satchel charge rules though there are also rules for sabotage (even explosively aided sabotage) under disable device so that's worth looking into.

Want a LAW? Get a sky rocket, add a firestone warhead and fuse bomb charge, load it all into a new chassis and mount that in a modified scroll case for a highly portable, discrete method of doing upwards of 7D6 of damage with the right use of volatile catalyst.

Want a fully functional armored Humvee with a rack of rockets on a central turret?
It's essentially a metal carriage with an alchemical engine and a matchlock rack of the above LAW rockets, all easily doable with ultimate combat.
Average health of it is 240hp for 10x15x10 dimensions.

Want a thunder hammer for breaching doors? Gnomes of Golarion has one driven by a thunder stone.

Want a chainsaw glaive like in Gears of War 2? Gnomes of Golarion has the ripsaw glaive.

Grenade launcher? Gnomish Calculus.

Hidden scythe? Gnomish switch scythe.

A recreation of the Hellsing from Metro 2033? 6 large tube arrow shooters on a drill's rotary action and a crossbow's stock, all driven by spring sheathe actions. For added strength bonus you could drive it with a bottle of air and a hand pump.

Fuse bomb bolas, 'nuff said.

Re-purposed scroll tube with a small charge and a warhead to make a mortar.

Handy haversacks make good covert sniping locations if you can lay it down and climb inside with a breathing tube or snorkel.

Auran masks are essentially gas masks/air tanks.

A good bet for other items you'll want will be http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101

Ask if bicycles are invented in your DM's setting. If so, you can make one with an alchemical engine that can be controlled with your alchemy skill.

Want a main battle tank? Make one using Ultimate combat vehicle rules and use a colossal sized gnomish calculus for the main weapon, each round will do about 8D6 damage with average alchemical ammo.

Ultimate combat also has rules for Zeppelins.

Have dark vision? Want a constant night? Combining several darklight lanterns (fetchling section of ultimate race guide) will drop any 30ft area down to dark at the cost of 1 dose of shadow cloy per minute per light level.

If you acquire a large fortune there are rules for clockwork armour that gives heavy bonuses at the cost of ice vulnerability and a 55k price tag, as well a feat to use.

Also consider the gnomish crossbow scope, which lets you treat enemies as 2 range increments closer.

I'll post more stuff when I think of it.

Cool post! I dig it, but could you do me a favor and put some more citations for where you find these things. Especially the rules on making alchemist fire do more damage in larger quantities. And where firestone is printed.

Kulture
2012-07-23, 09:57 AM
The water pump from pathfinder projects a line of a gallon of fluid per round of use, It's open to interpretation how much of it hits the target, so you may have to split damage between the squares effected.

Firestones are from dragon compendium, hive of scum and villainy that it is, it's actually a very nasty alchemical device, being an across board upgrade to the alch fire.

I'll go back and cite more stuff when I can get the time.