PDA

View Full Version : Stormdancer's garb, need help with balance and pricing

Baphomet
2012-07-20, 04:21 PM
I'm trying to make one of those full sets of garb like in the magic item compendium, the ones that provide additional bonuses when worn together? It's supposed to have a stormy theme and be for a near-epic level adventure. PCs have currently gotten themselves involved in a feud between two different magic item shops fighting over the full set, with the ultimate goal of trying to befriend one of the owners and obtain a copy of the whole set (which can only be copied by the one they want to befriend).
Problem is, I'm pretty bad at judging the power level of my homebrewed magic items, and even worse at pricing them appropriately. Here's what I've got the set listed as doing so far, listed in what I think should be least -> most expensive:
leggings - +10 ft. move speed, +10 jump bonus
vest - supplies wearer with constant fresh air, 1/day gaseous form
shoes - constant air walk effect
gloves - constant suppressible gust of wind effect around the user, 1/day whirlwind
cloak - 3/day 120-ft line lightning bolt dealing 5d6 electric, user is teleported anywhere they choose along the line of the bolt and deals an additional 5d6 sonic damage in 25-ft radius around where they teleport to

And then, like the other sets from the compendium, they get additional bonuses if they're wearing more than 1 piece of the set:
2 pieces: resist electric and sonic 5, endure elements
3 pieces: resist electric and sonic 10, +2 competence bonus on your attacks if airborne
4 pieces: resist electric and sonic 15, 1/day call lightning storm
5 pieces: resist electric and sonic 20, melee attacks made against wearer with the attacker's body or a metal weapon deal 2d6 electric damage to the attacker and cause DC 15 fort save to avoid being stunned for 1 round.

I have a feeling this is probably monstrously overpowered and I'm not sure how much to charge per piece of the set, what do you guys think?

Baphomet
2012-07-23, 02:25 AM
Shameful self-bump.

Lohj
2012-07-23, 03:13 AM
Hmm... I was looking over this, and the Garb itself doesn't seem to be too over powered. The Cloak may be a bit over bearing, but for an epic level character, it's appropro. I just think that a bit of minor tweaking caused by actual use is the only solution. I'll run a quick one shot to gauge it's power later today. Hopefully able to give you some decent feedback then.

Baphomet
2012-07-23, 03:53 AM
Hmm... I was looking over this, and the Garb itself doesn't seem to be too over powered. The Cloak may be a bit over bearing, but for an epic level character, it's appropro. I just think that a bit of minor tweaking caused by actual use is the only solution. I'll run a quick one shot to gauge it's power later today. Hopefully able to give you some decent feedback then.
Wow, that's very nice of you.
I was thinking around 250K for the whole set, just on the off chance they decide to try to obtain it from the other shop legally?

Lohj
2012-07-23, 12:03 PM
So, after consideration and consolidation, I conclude:
250K cost is correct, coincidentally co-ops conservational power.
I applaud your effort at this.