PDA

View Full Version : Polymorphing while wounded

Silva Stormrage
2012-07-20, 08:30 PM
What happens when a creature is at low hp from physical wounds and polymorphs? Obviously their HP stays the same but could they have their outward appearance look completely normal? Or would they still have wounds all over their body? Would they get to choose where the wounds appear and what type?

nightwyrm
2012-07-20, 08:35 PM
Actually, casting polymorph heals the target...

Silva Stormrage
2012-07-20, 08:38 PM
Actually, casting polymorph heals the target...

Assume that the target is still at low hp even after the polymorph spell. Or assume its an alter self.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-07-20, 08:42 PM
I would go with, "you don't appear wounded".

It seems implausible that you could completely alter the composition of your body, but you couldn't hide a few cuts and bruises.

nightwyrm
2012-07-20, 08:42 PM
Assume that the target is still at low hp even after the polymorph spell. Or assume its an alter self.

I suppose it would look as wounded as you'd like since ultimately it's all cosmetic anyways.

jackattack
2012-07-21, 07:10 AM
I'd go the other way on this.

While there is no clear guidance written into either spell, the fact that the subject reverts to its original form when dead, and body parts revert to their true form when severed, suggests that there is some kind of "body memory" involved. And that would carry wounds across forms.

In addition, there are more roleplaying opportunities if wounds carry over, as an intelligent NPC or monster might be able to recognize the subject of the spell even after the transformation. What's easier for the gnoll guards to recognize -- a strange gnoll they've never seen before, or a strange gnoll they've never seen before with the same wounds as that wizard they captured the day before?

This is just my take on it. But as a tool to help make your own decision, ask yourself this: Should Polymorph allow a caster to add false wounds to the subject of a spell? If the answer is no, then it shouldn't conceal real wounds either.

Glimbur
2012-07-21, 07:29 AM
We could have the "what do hp represent" argument again. It's possible that you could heal the visible wounds, but you still feel their effects. That means the bloodied man who just turned into a manticore looks like he is about to collapse from exhaustion/being beaten mostly to death.