PDA

View Full Version : Mystic Ranger/Chameleon, taking over an NPC [3.P]

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-20, 11:07 PM
OK, so the inevitable happened: my mountebank died. The DM suggested I take over an NPC that has been spying on us for a while (long story short, we're investiganting corruption in the church of Pelor and he is a pelorite).
The NPC is a Mystic Ranger 7/Chameleon 1, but since my character is level 10, I'll level him up to that. The DM is allowing me to change basically everything about the guy as long as it makes sense, but I quite like the idea of Mystic Ranger/Chameleon.

This is a Pathfinder game with heavy use of 3.5 material, but since Mystic Ranger is so powerful, I'm not getting any of the PF Ranger abilities (fair enough).

What we know about this guy:
- He is human
- He fights with sword and shield
- He is a devout pelorite
- He is Neutral Good

I don't know much about sword and board in PF, but I'm pretty sure it will still work with the ranger TWF spells. My concer is that this might end up too powerful. Mystic Ranger already kicks all sorts of ass and adding Chameleon to the mix is... wow.

Any help with feats and equipment for this concept?

Hazzardevil
2012-07-21, 01:22 AM
I don't know how much of Chameleon you will want to take, but I recommend you take the rest of chameleon so you can maximize the power of your Focuses.
If your character was investigating the party, it would make sense to have social skills, stealth skills and spot/listen. Also, fighting Shield and Sword seems rather odd to me, because you don't gain proficiency until you take Chameleon but it works.
You can use two-weapon fighting feats with a shield and sword, but youneed improved shield bash to keep the AC bonus, which is the main draw of TWF.

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-21, 01:26 AM
Hm, Rangers are not proficient with shields? They probably are in PF, it's one of their fighting styles... I'll talk to the DM about this, maybe the character just took Shield Proficiency as a feat while it was an NPC. Thanks for the heads up.

Hazzardevil
2012-07-21, 01:54 AM
Hm, Rangers are not proficient with shields? They probably are in PF, it's one of their fighting styles... I'll talk to the DM about this, maybe the character just took Shield Proficiency as a feat while it was an NPC. Thanks for the heads up.

The PF ranger might get a shield proficiency in PF, or I am misrembering the 3.5 ranger, but I presumed you were using the 3.5 mystic ranger as written.

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-21, 04:28 AM
The PF ranger might get a shield proficiency in PF, or I am misrembering the 3.5 ranger, but I presumed you were using the 3.5 mystic ranger as written.

Just checked, the 3.5 ranger has proficiency with shields.

nedz
2012-07-21, 05:00 AM
Yes, but:
Mystic Ranger loses Shield proficiency as well as Martial (non-ranged) weapons.

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-21, 05:39 AM
Yes, but:
Mystic Ranger loses Shield proficiency as well as Martial (non-ranged) weapons.

Oh, I thought it only lost weapon proficiency.
I'll ask the DM if I can make this guy dual wield, then. He was sword and board when we met him, but taking Shield Proficiency as a feat and then choosing the sword and board style... irks me.

nedz
2012-07-21, 12:07 PM
Well you could always dip Fighter or something ?

Cleric, Favoured Soul or even Spirit Shaman all give you Shield as well as some more spells. You would also get Domains, +2 to all saves or Alertness respectively. Cleric and FS would also fit with the Pelor theme.

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-22, 12:18 AM
Well you could always dip Fighter or something ?

Cleric, Favoured Soul or even Spirit Shaman all give you Shield as well as some more spells. You would also get Domains, +2 to all saves or Alertness respectively. Cleric and FS would also fit with the Pelor theme.

Hm, that would delay my entry in Chameleon (I really really want Mystic Ranger 7, it's simply a very good cutting point, with 4th level spells and improved combat style), but I could try it. Dunno, don't want to lose any more BAB...

I'll think about it.

Hazzardevil
2012-07-22, 04:14 AM
Oh, I thought it only lost weapon proficiency.
I'll ask the DM if I can make this guy dual wield, then. He was sword and board when we met him, but taking Shield Proficiency as a feat and then choosing the sword and board style... irks me.

You do get shield proficiency from Chameleon, so you don't need a feat for it, I was just pointing out it was odd since he likely only started using a shield when he became a Chameleon.

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-22, 07:10 AM
You do get shield proficiency from Chameleon, so you don't need a feat for it, I was just pointing out it was odd since he likely only started using a shield when he became a Chameleon.

Yeah, I get that, I agree with you. I was looking for a way to be proficient with shields before going into Chameleon so as to make it seem more reasonable.
I guess I'll just dual wield...

nedz
2012-07-22, 06:53 PM
I was under the impression that you had two extra levels to add ?

Or did the DM screw up with the Shield proficiency ? :smallsmile:
If so: Rule 0 would seem to be already in play :smallbiggrin:

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-22, 10:37 PM
I was under the impression that you had two extra levels to add ?

Or did the DM screw up with the Shield proficiency ? :smallsmile:
If so: Rule 0 would seem to be already in play :smallbiggrin:
So, I talked to the DM. He simply had the TWF style and used it with a shield. D'uh. That's so obvious.