PDA

View Full Version : Feat retraining

ThatKreacher
2012-07-21, 04:02 PM
What happens when you retrain a feat that was a requirement for something, yet you gained that ability through PrC means? For Example, I have Martial Weapon Proficiency: Great Axe, and Weapon Focus: Great Axe. I take a PrC that is proficient with all martial weapons. Would I be allowed to retrain Martial Weapon Proficiency?

Ravens_cry
2012-07-21, 04:04 PM
What happens when you retrain a feat that was a requirement for something, yet you gained that ability through PrC means? For Example, I have Martial Weapon Proficiency: Great Axe, and Weapon Focus: Great Axe. I take a PrC that is proficient with all martial weapons. Would I be allowed to retrain Martial Weapon Proficiency?
I would allow it, though I don't know the RAW.

Sutremaine
2012-07-21, 04:43 PM
The retraining rules in the PHBII indicate that your altered build must have been legal had it been played from level 1 to the current level. If you get rid of those two weapon feats for something else, you now had gone into that PrC without having had the prereqs. Technically speaking it's no different from creating a high-levelled character that doesn't qualify for any of its PrCs until after it takes them and justifying it with a backstory that involves retraining.

But if you played the non-retrained character for a while then the DM might allow it, especially for feats that really aren't all that spectacular.

Amoren
2012-07-21, 05:10 PM
I think psychic reformation gets around this, allowing you to change the feat so long as you still qualify for it by other methods. Of course, that's costing you XP to do so.

Mnemnosyne
2012-07-21, 05:29 PM
Edit: Actually...according to feat retraining, you only have to qualify for the feat you're selecting at the time you originally took it, unless I'm missing something as I review the rule to be sure.

It says nothing about changing a feat that is a prerequisite for another feat. So, if you're changing your Martial Weapon Proficiency (Great Axe) into something else, the only thing that gets checked is whether the feat you're now choosing was valid at the level you took the Great Axe proficiency. So if you picked it at level 1, your new feat must be something you could have chosen at level 1.

ThatKreacher
2012-07-21, 05:32 PM
If I only retrain one feat, and I don't do it until another level, would you allow that?

Yucca
2012-07-22, 08:54 AM
I thought I read somewhere that if a class grants you a feat you already have, you get to pick another one as long as you qualify for it.

For example, if you grab weapon finesse at Rog3 then go into swashbuckler, you would get to pick any feat your rog3/swash1 would qualify for since swash gives finesse at lvl1.

Can't remember the book off hand, but I do remember it from somewhere.