PDA

View Full Version : tattoos of awesome (3.5)

sketchy-mouse
2012-07-21, 05:41 PM
hi I'm trying to find anything to do with this tattoo idea, similar to the tattooed armour. my character is a 3lv bard/ 2lv ranger gnome and i am playing 3.5 D&D.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Tattooed_Armor_%283.5e_Equipment%29

basically i want to tattoo my characters arm so i can have a shield and a sword spawn when called, so my character can fight offensively (2 handed fighting) or defensively. i thought i could use the similar rules to the link about but pay for both weapon and shield, but my DM wants more specifics before he would let me do it :/

any links or ideas of how this could be done would be great, i would really like to stick with a tattoo as all over slots are filed on my character, plus my charicter is all about being cool :P

bobthe6th
2012-07-21, 06:58 PM
AFB at the mo but...
Make a special item of call weapon(level 1 psi warior power) that is slotless and use activated
(2000x1x1)x2=4000 gp, full round action to summon a weapon, lasts one min. Get the dm to let you summon a shield with one.
Use this as a base for haggling, see if you can't get a square deal.

Also, what about that manticore glove thingy that let's you get n javelins? Double the (price -set special cost) for slotless, get different weapon. Again, replicate for shield.

userpay
2012-07-21, 07:07 PM
Hmm... Actually while the implementation doesn't do much for me the concept of that "equipment" interests me. Perhaps because of the similarity to certain anime.

Might just take a trip over to the request a homebrew thread for a class or something that utilizes a similar idea.

LordErebus12
2012-07-21, 10:41 PM
First spell in Spell Compendium.

http://i.imgur.com/MPY9l.png

ABSORB WEAPON
Transmutation
Level: Assassin 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Effect: One touched weapon not in another creature’s possession
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates (object); see text
Spell Resistance: Yes (object)

The weapon you hold in your hand begins to fade from existence as you complete the spell. With the last words of the spell it disappears completely. At the same moment, a weapon-shaped red blotch appears on your arm.

You can harmlessly absorb a weapon you are touching (even a poisoned one) into your arm, as long as it is not in another creature’s possession. The
weapon must be a light weapon for you at the time you cast the spell. The absorbed weapon cannot be felt under the skin and doesn’t restrict your range of motion in any way.

An absorbed weapon cannot be detected with even a careful search, although detect magic reveals the presence of a magical aura. The only evidence of its presence is a faint blotch on your skin shaped vaguely like the weapon.

When you touch the spot (an action equivalent to drawing a weapon), or when the spell duration expires, the weapon appears in your hand and the spell ends. If you attack with the weapon in the same round that you retrieve it from its hiding place, you can attempt a Bluff check to feint in combat as a free action, and you gain a +4 bonus on the Bluff check. An intelligent magic weapon gets a saving throw against this spell, but other weapons do not.

Buy a scroll of Permanency, buy a scroll of Absorb Weapon, find Rogue or Artificer, ask the Rogue/Artificer to roll two checks for the scrolls. Done...

Permanent Tattoo of a weapon that can be drawn and re-hidden for far less cash than if you made one otherwise.

bobthe6th
2012-07-21, 11:56 PM
A) Permanency is for specific spells, unless a note was added for the spell, it isn't covered.
B) Either way, one dispel magic and it's gone.
C) The wepon has to be light.
D) Even then, it disapates once you pull a weapon out.

On the other hand, a special magic item of at will absorb weapon might work...

LordErebus12
2012-07-22, 12:11 AM
A) Permanency is for specific spells, unless a note was added for the spell, it isn't covered.
B) Either way, one dispel magic and it's gone.
C) The wepon has to be light.
D) Even then, it disapates once you pull a weapon out.

On the other hand, a special magic item of at will absorb weapon might work...

A) its called a variant...
B) not if a feat called Spell Tattooist is created (allowing non-dispelling tattoos (they would be suppressed for an hour or until leaving effect)
C) see A
D) not if its permanent. it stays in the tattoo until needed, when removed, the tattoo remains, but is empty, perhaps merely a rod of red ink instead of a weapon shape. or perhaps the weapon dissappears if drawn for more than a hour... reappearing within the tattoo.

its however you create it with the DM's permission.

bobthe6th
2012-07-22, 12:39 AM
When you are sugesting a varient, actualy do so. What you wrote sugests you can RAW use a scroll of permanency and a scroll of absorb weapon and make a refilable tatoo shieth...
In which case all 4 points stand.

Your new stipulation is decent... though it is a lot of pure home brew, which can scare off a DM.

LordErebus12
2012-07-22, 01:39 AM
When you are sugesting a varient, actualy do so.

Your new stipulation is decent... though it is a lot of pure home brew, which can scare off a DM.

why must i make it? its a personal variant that the player must discuss and negotiate with the DM as to how it would work. I personally think that all magical items of different types should all slightly alter how the spells work.

I personally think if you take a feat like this that its all you would need to

Spell Tattoos (Item Creation)
Often items only get in the way, they can be stolen or misplaced, lost or broken, large or awkward to use. These created tattoos are not like that; each tattoo takes a certain portion of the body's surface but allows the user to use more magical items than normal.

These are always difficult to dispel, often requiring powerful magic to remove them permanently. Rumors abound of various stories where evil spellcasters bind their favorite Curses into tattoos.

Tattoo Slots:
The available tattoo slots total 9 for tattoos, with each spell uses up an equivalent number of slots as the spell level. These tattoos do not interfere with any magical items worn in like slots. Each tattoo can only carry one spell effect.

{table=head]{colsp=2}Table: Tattoos and the Canvas
Body Parts| # of Slots |

One Torso, Back and Front | Two slots
Two Arms, Upper and Lower | Two slots each
Two Legs | One slot each
One Head | One slot
[/Table]

Prerequisites: Caster level 9th, caster must know the permanency spell or use one scroll of permanency per tattoo, Craft (Tattoo) 3 ranks or Profession (Tattooist) 3 ranks.

Formula: The base cost uses three different formulas, based on how the spells function.

Constant: 2500 gp x spell level x caster level x 1.5 (Uncustomary location) plus the scroll of permanency (if one is used)

At Will: 2000 gp x spell level x caster level x 1.5 (Uncustomary location) plus the scroll of permanency (if one is used)

Uses/Day: (750 gp + 50 gp per use per day) x spell level x caster level x 1.5 (Uncustomary location) plus the scroll of permanency (if one is used)

Benefit: Allows the creation of permanent tattoos that allows the body to carry spells directly with them, without fear of losing the items through misplacing them or theft.

These spells placed within can act differently depending on the spell within: if its a static bonus or unique effect for the tattooed user (passive effects; self only), AoE (works normally but are centered on the tattooed user) or with a touch attack (if aggressive in nature; even if normally a ranged touch attack).

They also are more difficult to remove by merely dispelling them. They do not vanish when dispelled via dispel magic, they instead become inert for one hour; losing any aura when viewed with Detect Magic or Arcane Sight but remain as a physical tattoo.

However, Spells such as Mage's Disjunction and Antimagic Field work normally, removing the tattoo or suppressing it, respectively.

Tattoo Addict
The Tattooist has become quite adept with his artform, learning to use much smaller designs to allow more space upon the body for tattoos. The tattooist also tends to have more tattoos on his body than normally would allow.

Prerequisites: Two or more tattoos created in the past, Spell Tattoo Creation Feat, Craft (Tattoo) 6 ranks or Profession (Tattooist) 6 ranks.

Benefits: Treat a body as having two more slots more than normal when creating tattoos upon someone else's body. Tattoos crafted on the Tattooist's body are treated as taking up 1 less slot each (minimum of 1 slot used), but do not receive the additional slots unless the other tattooist (preforming the tattoo) also has this feat.

Normal: A body only has 9 slots, with each spell level equaling one body slot.

bobthe6th
2012-07-22, 07:56 AM
No, when you claim to suggest a brew, actualy sugest a brew.

What you made... I could see some heavy abuse(level 1 spell level 1 heal spell, at will in a free slot for 1500...)

Also, as these very much are slotless as they don't fill any slots(man, this post is full of toatalogy...) they should have their price doubled.
Permanency as a required component... funky and unpresidented, I'd ditch it.

LordErebus12
2012-07-22, 09:50 AM
No, when you claim to suggest a brew, actualy sugest a brew.

What you made... I could see some heavy abuse(level 1 spell level 1 heal spell, at will in a free slot for 1500...)

I increased them a bit.

Also, as these very much are slotless as they don't fill any slots(man, this post is full of toatalogy...) they should have their price doubled.
Permanency as a required component... funky and unpresidented, I'd ditch it.

I never cared for presidence in the slightest, so dont expect me to care now.

dude, its your topic, you take it from here, i spent 2 hours more than I wanted. DIY... You edit it how you want

sketchy-mouse
2012-07-22, 02:30 PM
cheers for the ideas, but i don't want to make a whole new class to do this, i was thinking of just finding some one in story who could tattoo me for the effect. so i would have to perches the weapon and perches each tattoo individually and i can call the weapon from the tattoo at will with out any mobo jumbo.

bobthe6th
2012-07-22, 07:13 PM
Could use that one Item from the MIC... what's its name... wand gloves? Charm braclet? It just miniturazes an item until you need it. Look that up, see if you can't make it work with a refluff.

sketchy-mouse
2012-07-22, 07:34 PM
yehh the only problem i have with that is that my character already has gloves of dex on :/ but i made this up from the tattooed armour, im just waiting to hear back from my dm.

Tattooed Weapon/ shield

This magic enhancement is a tattoo that is placed on the arm of the buyer and the weapon/ shield, it can be created as any symbol (usually a personal crest). The owner can place their hand on the tattoo (even through clothing) and will the weapon/ shield in to there hand as a swift action.
The weapon/ shield can disappear back into the tattoo by the owner placing his hand on the symbol and willing it as a free action. The owner gains no benefits when the weapon/ shield is not out. The weapon/ shield is designed specifically for the owner so the owner can not drop the item or give to another person. Any other enchantments of the weapon/ shield apply as long as the weapon/ shield is out. only 1 weapon or shield can be placed in one arm, as the tattoo will cover most of the arm from the wrist up. The weapon or shield must be light for the weapon to fit in the tattoo.
The owner of a tattoo may will any weapon/ shield into his tattoo, it may then be willed out as above. Once you take the weapon/ shield out of your tattoo it is classed as being designed specifically for you so no one else can use the weapon proficiently.
Faint Conjuration; CL 6th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor; Price 2000gp for tattoo on body, 1000gp for tattoo on weapon/ shield.

DeusMortuusEst
2012-07-23, 12:05 PM
There was a rather long article at the Wotc homepage about psionic tattoos and add-ons to them, making them re-usable by fueling them with PP.

I'm pretty sure someone over at brilliantgameologists updated the article and made it work fine for 3.5, I'm at work now, but if I have the time I'll see if I can track it down when I get back home, it should be able to do exactly what you want, plus a lot more.

EDIT: Found it: Here's (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20031225a) the original WotC article, made for D&D 3.0, and here's the remake (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4319.0) from the BG boards, made to fit with 3.5 rules.

Hopefully that'll help you :smallsmile: