PDA

View Full Version : using of wands with hands free??

animewatcha
2012-07-21, 11:59 PM
Mystic ranger wanting to use wands of arrowsplit for near-continous buffs without being limited to spells slots.

What equipment/methods ( no psionics, tob, or incarnum ) can be used to hold the wand and use it for the whole turn so he can keep the wand on him and still being able to twong away every turn in combat?

tyckspoon
2012-07-22, 12:07 AM
Wand Chambers, in Dungeonscape. They're a basic equipment mod (non-magical, which means it's pretty cheap) that let you store a wand inside pretty much any item that is long enough to potentially contain one, and you can use the wand as if you had it in hand as long as you are wielding the item with the wand chamber.

Tvtyrant
2012-07-22, 12:25 AM
You can put it in your bow, or I believe the really easy way to abuse it is put them in bucklers, so you can get two free wands floating on your shoulders for a couple K.

eggs
2012-07-22, 01:54 AM
Wand chambers are the easiest. Extra arms are sometimes more practical.

Ravens_cry
2012-07-22, 02:19 AM
You can put it in your bow, or I believe the really easy way to abuse it is put them in bucklers, so you can get two free wands floating on your shoulders for a couple K.
Bucklers don't go on shoulders.:smallconfused:

Tvtyrant
2012-07-22, 02:25 AM

Are you sure about that. I have evidence!

http://furiousfanboys.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/2255darkness_within_final-787x1024.jpg

Those things are surely shields.

Ravens_cry
2012-07-22, 02:28 AM
Are you sure about that. I have evidence!

http://furiousfanboys.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/2255darkness_within_final-787x1024.jpg

Those things are surely shields.
Those are pauldrons I believe, or perhaps spaulders.

Tvtyrant
2012-07-22, 02:34 AM
Those are pauldrons I believe, or perhaps spaulders.

Nope. Pretty sure those are bucklers stapled to his shoulders. I will not entertain any other explanation, or retract my earlier false statement about where bucklers usually are held. And you cannot make me.

Ashtagon
2012-07-22, 02:35 AM

animated bucklers with wand chambers, and have a club, mace, or whatever in each hand for added wand readiness.

Hmm. I know there's a rule you can only gain a shield bonus once, but afaik the only rule that limits the number of animated shields with wand chambers you can have is the range at which the DM can throw books at you.

Ravens_cry
2012-07-22, 02:36 AM
Nope. Pretty sure those are bucklers stapled to his shoulders. I will not entertain any other explanation, or retract my earlier false statement about where bucklers usually are held. And you cannot make me.
I know your now being facetious, but bucklers aren't even shaped like that.

Tvtyrant
2012-07-22, 02:41 AM
I know your now being facetious, but bucklers aren't even shaped like that.

I was being facetious from my first response to you calling out my mistake on buckler placement :smalltongue:

animated bucklers with wand chambers, and have a club, mace, or whatever in each hand for added wand readiness.

Hmm. I know there's a rule you can only gain a shield bonus once, but afaik the only rule that limits the number of animated shields with wand chambers you can have is the range at which the DM can throw books at you.
I am now completely in love with this concept. I envision having what appears to be a wall of shields floating around the character (probably an Artificer), and rotating so the correct one floats to the front in order to cast.

Amoren
2012-07-22, 04:34 AM
Abandon wand abuse, troll your DM by placing an automatic reset trap of arrowsplitting on your bow, keyed to go off whenever an arrow is fired. :D

Get permanent arrow splitting for every strike you'll ever make for only 15000 gp if you can't craft it yourself!

(Suffice it to say, the custom magic device trap rules are AWESOME)

Amoren
2012-07-22, 04:35 AM
Ok, what the heck. I even checked the post to make sure I hadn't poted when the browser derped. Curse you Giantitp forums!

whibla
2012-07-22, 10:57 AM

Wand Chambers, in Dungeonscape. They're a basic equipment mod (non-magical, which means it's pretty cheap) that let you store a wand inside pretty much any item that is long enough to potentially contain one, and you can use the wand as if you had it in hand as long as you are wielding the item with the wand chamber.

It's possible one of you is right...I do not think it's possible both of you are right. (though I strongly suspect someone is having a bit of a joke...) :smallwink:

And, before someone says "yeah, but an animated shield counts as if you're holding it", no it's doesn't. It acts as if "protecting her as if she were using it herself but freeing up both her hands", but holding and protecting are not synonymous.

Pedantry aside, I guess it's time I actually went and looked this item enhancement up. I've seen it recommended so many times on this forum, and it's beginning to feel like I'm missing out on something. :smalltongue:

Pika...
2012-07-22, 11:06 AM
My personal favorite trick is to simply have a pair of wand bracers (Holds five wands each, free action to have a wand shoot into your hand) and simply drop the wand as a free action when done. Then just pick the wand(s) up after the battle.

Ashtagon
2012-07-22, 11:08 AM
@ Whibla

Just to be clear, I was joking. I don't allow either of those items in my games.

animewatcha
2012-07-22, 07:07 PM
Abandon wand abuse, troll your DM by placing an automatic reset trap of arrowsplitting on your bow, keyed to go off whenever an arrow is fired. :D

Get permanent arrow splitting for every strike you'll ever make for only 15000 gp if you can't craft it yourself!

(Suffice it to say, the custom magic device trap rules are AWESOME)

Wait. Wha?

Hiro Protagonest
2012-07-22, 07:11 PM
Wait. Wha?

You ever heard of Tippyverse?

animewatcha
2012-07-22, 07:40 PM
I am limited in optimization and stuff. A running theme on my 'please help me' threads is no ToB, incarnum, or psionics. ( Oddly enough, seems to knock out more chances for more possible replies as well ).

Is this custom auto reset trap in dungeonscape or MIC or what?

eggs
2012-07-22, 07:47 PM
Dungeon Master's Guide, page 74-75.
It's basically why they made the DMG so danged aerodynamic.

animewatcha
2012-07-22, 08:10 PM
I'm looking at automatic reset trap thing. With 500 x spell level x caster level in gp. 40 x cast x spell lvl in exp. Where is he getting 15k from? Masterwork arrow/bolt times 100?

Answerer
2012-07-22, 08:20 PM
I am limited in optimization and stuff. A running theme on my 'please help me' threads is no ToB, incarnum, or psionics. ( Oddly enough, seems to knock out more chances for more possible replies as well ).
The three books listed are... probably the last places to look for broken stuff. Complete Psionics did have some utterly idiotic ideas (Synchonicity, Linked Power, etc), but since most people just flat out ignore the majority of Complete Psionics (Ardent, Practiced Manifester, and Soulbow are the only things I hear people talk about often), you're talking about the Expanded Psionics Handbook, which is (with the exception of the underpowered Soulknife) exceedingly well done. Magic of Incarnum has Midnight Metamagic which, like any metamagic reducer, is very poewrful, but that's just one feat; the Incarnate and Totemist are great and balanced classes (and the Soulborn is very weak).

And Tome of Battle is, hands down and without competition, the most tightly-balanced book WotC ever wrote for 3.5.

The most unbalanced book in 3.5? Without a doubt, that would be the Player's Handbook. The Dungeon Master's Guide is a somewhat distant second. I doubt anything even approaches those two (though Savage Species or Serpent Kingdoms might).

Amoren
2012-07-23, 06:02 AM
I'm looking at automatic reset trap thing. With 500 x spell level x caster level in gp. 40 x cast x spell lvl in exp. Where is he getting 15k from? Masterwork arrow/bolt times 100?

If I remember correctly, Arrowspliting is a 3nd level Assassin/Ranger spell (so 3 * 5, for spell level and caster level, * 500 for automatic reset trap), which equals a gold point cost of 7,500 to craft. Which means that its market price should be about 15,000 to buy without crafting it yourself.

Feytalist
2012-07-23, 07:02 AM
To go back to the OP:

Another option I haven't seen mentioned yet is the caster's glove (I think that's the name) from the MIC. It behaves as a glove of storing, but you can use the wand or whatever's stored inside without actually having to switch it to your hand. So have a glove of storing with a wand of arrowsplit stored inside, and you can cast with both hands full. It's a bit expensive, though, if I recall.

Darrin
2012-07-23, 07:40 AM
To go back to the OP:

Another option I haven't seen mentioned yet is the caster's glove (I think that's the name) from the MIC. It behaves as a glove of storing, but you can use the wand or whatever's stored inside without actually having to switch it to your hand. So have a glove of storing with a wand of arrowsplit stored inside, and you can cast with both hands full. It's a bit expensive, though, if I recall.

A normal Glove of Storing (or it's cheaper cousin Glove of the Master Strategist, 3600 GP) would also work. Swapping an item in your hand with a stored wand is a free action. So swap, activate the wand (swift), and swap back to your original weapon.