PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Questions about drawing non-weapon items and drinking potions

Kasbark
2012-07-22, 03:59 AM
While working on a set of house rules for pathfinder i was reading through the actions in combat chapter of the core rulebook again, I'm getting confused! Hopefully someone can shed some light on it for me.

Basically I'm unsure what the rules say about using potions, wands, scrolls and so on. I've narrowed down my questions to the following (i have a good idea about some of them, but i don't want to bias any answers):

1) Do you need a free hand to use a potion/scroll/wand?
1a) If using Two-weapon fighting or sword 'n board, do you need to sheathe one of them in order to use said item?
1b) If using a two-handed weapon, do you need to sheathe that before using such an item?
2) Do you need to draw a potion/scroll/wand before you can use it? (thus taking up an additional action, beside the standard action needed to activate the item)

Thanks for any answers!

GreenZ
2012-07-22, 04:16 AM
1. Depends on exactly what this question is asking. Do you need to be able to hold the object with 'a free hand'? Yes. Do you need a second, also free, hand in addition to the one holding the object? No.

1A. Yes, most of the time, except you can hold, and thus use, such items with the same hand you hold a light shield or buckler with.

1B. No, as you may switch from holding a 2-handed weapon in one hand or wielding it in both hands again as a free action. As long as you have said item in your hand though you will be unable to attack with the 2-handed weapon.

2. Yes and no, you need to hold the item to use it, and drawing an item is often the simplest way to do such, but there are ways to do such other than simply drawing it. :smallamused: