PDA

View Full Version : multiple full attacks: Flurry of Blows?

ben-zayb
2012-07-22, 04:52 AM
Hi fellow playgrounders! I was wondering if any of you know whether a monk could declare a flurry of blows more than once per turn or not. I was thinking if it could work with Telflammar Shadowlord's Shadow Pounce and 3/round Shadow Hand maneuvers. I know Snap Kick does, but not Flurry of Blows.

The text suggests not, though, so I won't get my hopes up.

When doing so, she may make one extra attack in a round at her highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round.

Leekos
2012-07-22, 05:05 AM
The last sentence of that paragraph says that "A monk must use a full attack action to strike with a flurry of blows." So unless you have more than one full attack, it's not possible.

And if for some reason you were able to manage it, you would get a cumulative -2 penalty for each flurry of blows you attempted.

...but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round

ben-zayb
2012-07-22, 05:55 AM
Well, Telflammar Shadowlord's (UE) Shadow Pounce ability gives a full attack whenever the person uses any ability with the [Teleportation] description, so with Shadow Hand maneuvers, it's not that hard to do. :smallwink:

Cumulative penalty then makes sense however...

teslas
2012-07-23, 05:29 AM
A ye olde belt of battle from the Magic Item Compendium p73 would allow you to do that. It grants an extra full-round action once per day as a swift action.

This leads to exceptionally wealthy characters, especially ones that rely on full-round attacks like crappy monks or multi-hit precision damage people to carry around a bag of them in certain situations.

kitcik
2012-07-23, 01:33 PM
Theoretically if your character had Pounce and Battle Jump and you (the player) wore a helmet to protect you from flying DMGs...

Daftendirekt
2012-07-23, 01:35 PM
Yeah, I would say that Flurry of Blows and Shadow Pounce would work together.

Urpriest
2012-07-23, 01:38 PM
The text does suggest that it's a 1/round thing, irrespective of the number of full attacks you can get. That said, it would be a weird enough ruling that I would just chalk it up to the designers not understanding that someone could get multiple full attacks in a round, and change it so it can work.

Talionis
2012-07-23, 02:34 PM
How cheesie is your game? If everyone else has optimized wizards and you are playing a monk. Then yes, optimize monk to your hearts content. I would say it falls in the RAW, but not RAI. It might even be questionable RAW, but if you are in a game where it makes sense, then yes it would be a good way to optimize, if your game will break with that kind of shenanigans, then steer clear.