PDA

View Full Version : All Dragon Campaign

Invader
2012-07-22, 03:43 PM
There was a similar thread not to long ago about playing true dragons as PC's and someone pointed out this homebrew class http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10996288&postcount=3

Basically I'd like to use this as a guide to write a class for any color dragon my PC's wanted to play. I'm pretty happy with how the silver dragon example is wrote up but I was wondering if anyone ad any suggestions for the other dragons.

I'm thinking the PC's will be starting at level 1 as crew members on an airship most likely in Eberron and they won't get past 10th level.

Any ideas on how can I improve upon the example?

Pika...
2012-07-22, 07:05 PM
Dragob magazine #320 has the metalic dragons broken down to class levels. Its called a racial progression. This is.a way to play them as pcs.

Some issues later the chromatic dragons as class levrls.

If you use the above I would suggest dropping the LAs and going by the hit dice. Dragons as pcs are actually quite weak, and I have found as botg a dm and player of dragon pcs that dropping the LAs actually balances them as PCs.

Also, the plot seems WAY to simple for an all dragon game. I mean this would be a cery distinct style of game, as dragons are epic by nature abd dont.deal with things duch as being guards on a ship.

I highly suggesr looking up the 2nd edition Council of Wyrms campaign setting for inspiration. It was meant to be a setting for mainly dragons as pcs.

Invader
2012-07-22, 08:02 PM
Dragob magazine #320 has the metalic dragons broken down to class levels. Its called a racial progression. This is.a way to play them as pcs.

Some issues later the chromatic dragons as class levrls.

If you use the above I would suggest dropping the LAs and going by the hit dice. Dragons as pcs are actually quite weak, and I have found as botg a dm and player of dragon pcs that dropping the LAs actually balances them as PCs.

Also, the plot seems WAY to simple for an all dragon game. I mean this would be a cery distinct style of game, as dragons are epic by nature abd dont.deal with things duch as being guards on a ship.

I highly suggesr looking up the 2nd edition Council of Wyrms campaign setting for inspiration. It was meant to be a setting for mainly dragons as pcs.

That was more of just a jumping off point but thank you for the suggestion, that seems exactly what I was looking for. Do you by chance have a link to that issue of Dragon Magazine?

Quietus
2012-07-22, 08:23 PM
Just had a brilliant idea for a game involving dragon PC's, which would let them gain HD from experience and not have to screw around with aging!

The gist : Time is broken. Something terrible has happened, a group of humanoid PCs was supposed to destroy their BBEG, but they failed. Perhaps they were going after someone using the "Dream of Metal" trick, and fouled it up in some way, and now the timestream as a whole has simply stopped moving. Everything in the game setting is happening in a single moment; You're stuck in perpetual dusk, water clocks are all stopped at the same time, and any magic based on time (Celerity, time stop, maybe haste as examples) won't work. As dragons, you're gaining strength from <insert plot points here>, which is allowing you to gain hit dice.. but doesn't that mean you're getting older? You've grown 50 years worth of hit dice, and for everyone else, not even a moment has passed. What gives? You may want to try and discover why this is (a plot point in itself), while also endeavoring to fix the world and end this eternal dusk.

Rainbownaga
2012-07-23, 03:33 AM
I find it somewhat interesting that this is the second time Mystic Muse's silver dragon class has been brought up with nobody mentioning the original dragon classes

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165439&postcount=1

That said, the early dragon classes are probably a little too powerful for most games (around warblade and druid levels), but if you're all dragons their is no harm (and most varieties have already been covered).

Dragons as airship crew? Sounds interesting. But why an airship? are they bound to it by some compulsion (maybe one they are unaware of) blackmailed? Is there someone they are secretly trying to protect?

If they are all metalic dragons, maybe they can start the game as humans, and only realise they are dragons when something goes horribly wrong. Then they can find out what caused the amnesia, etc.

VGLordR2
2012-07-23, 03:43 AM
That was more of just a jumping off point but thank you for the suggestion, that seems exactly what I was looking for. Do you by chance have a link to that issue of Dragon Magazine?

If you look to your left, underneath my avatar, you will notice that I have received one warning. I received said warning in the True Dragons as PCs thread, when I posted the links to the very same PDF's that you are looking for right now. I would recommend not asking for the links, as it is against forum rules to do so.

That being said, Google is your friend. Look for issues 320 and 332. Scribd is a good keyword to use in your search.

Quietus
2012-07-23, 09:42 AM
If you look to your left, underneath my avatar, you will notice that I have received one warning. I received said warning in the True Dragons as PCs thread, when I posted the links to the very same PDF's that you are looking for right now. I would recommend not asking for the links, as it is against forum rules to do so.

That being said, Google is your friend. Look for issues 320 and 332. Scribd is a good keyword to use in your search.

Actually, no one else can see your warnings/infractions. I have a couple myself, for accidental thread necromancy and the like, but they don't show publicly.

Invader
2012-07-23, 05:25 PM

Ahh very good to know, thank you sir.

Invader
2012-07-23, 08:58 PM
I find it somewhat interesting that this is the second time Mystic Muse's silver dragon class has been brought up with nobody mentioning the original dragon classes

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165439&postcount=1

That said, the early dragon classes are probably a little too powerful for most games (around warblade and druid levels), but if you're all dragons their is no harm (and most varieties have already been covered).

Dragons as airship crew? Sounds interesting. But why an airship? are they bound to it by some compulsion (maybe one they are unaware of) blackmailed? Is there someone they are secretly trying to protect?

If they are all metalic dragons, maybe they can start the game as humans, and only realise they are dragons when something goes horribly wrong. Then they can find out what caused the amnesia, etc.

I'm think they're all metallic dragons working together to infiltrate a group of pirate/smugglers but its really early in the design a campaign phase so who knows where I go from there lol.

Milo v3
2012-07-24, 08:30 AM
Even though it doesn't directly grant you the dragon stats, this PrC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231146)might be useful to look over as it is designed for use with all dragons (or at least many different types).

Invader
2012-07-24, 05:18 PM
Even though it doesn't directly grant you the dragon stats, this PrC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231146)might be useful to look over as it is designed for use with all dragons (or at least many different types).

This looks like a good example as well, thank you.