PDA

View Full Version : The Sohei-Master of the Five Stances (WIP) PEACH

Averis Vol
2012-07-22, 04:44 PM
This started as a basic tune up for one of my PC's who really liked the class but felt it was underpowered to which I kind of agreed. But the more I work on it the more I like it so I'm going to give it an even better overhaul and would love some feed back from you fine people.

The Sohei-Masters of the five styles

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrxuN-4jQgT1xGGtXc6GzmeWKJ4aKiZIjiLBZ48SloiitQZoq5Hw

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|+1|+2|+0|+2| Ki frenzy 1\day, stance of the wind walker, Weapon focus

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3| Uncanny dodge

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3| Ki frenzy 2\day, Deflect arrows

4th|+4|+4|+1|+4| Remain conscious, Spell casting

5th|+5|+4|+1|+4| Strength of mind, stance of the injured mongoose

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+5| Mettle

7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+5|Defensive strike, Ki frenzy 3\day

8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+6| Two styles as one, stance mastery

9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+6| Improved uncanny dodge

10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+7| Stance of the roaring landslide

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+7| Ki frenzy 4\day,

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+8| Mind over Body

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+8| Ki frenzy 5\day

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+9| Keen Senses

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+9| Stance of the haunting dragon

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+10| Ki frenzy 6\day, stance mastery

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+10| Body over Mind

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+11| Ki frenzy 7\day
19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+11| Masters Insight

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+12| Stance of the heavens, Ki frenzy 8\day

[/table]

Skill points per level: 6+int per level (6+int x 4 at first)

Skill list: A sohei's class skills (and the key ability for each school) are: Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex) Iaijutsu Focus (Cha), Knowledge (religion, history, geography, dungeoneering, nobility and royalty) (Int), listen (Wis) ,Profession (Wis), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex).

Stances: At intervals of every five levels (1, 5, 10, 15, 20) a sohei gains the ability to enter a special stance when he enters a ki frenzy, during any one frenzy you may adopt any one of the stances you have access to.

At 8th level you gain the ability to enter two stances at once, per the two styles as one ability

Stance of the wind walker (Su): at first level when a Sohei enters a Ki frenzy he may adapt the stance of the wind walker. while in this stance a sohei's movement speed is increased by 5 ft\ 2 levels and he gains the ability to make a special full attack. When making this full attack, he may move up to his speed and anytime within the movement he may make a number of attacks equal to the number allowed by a full attack. you still suffer any attacks of opportunity that might be occured while moving through threatened squares as normal.

If you choose stance mastery for this ability you gain a +4 bonus to AC against Attacks of opportunity and a +2 to reflex save. This ability is active even if Ki Frenzy isn't active.

Stance of the injured mongoose (Su): At fifth level you gain access to the Stance of the injured mongoose. While in this stance a Sohei enters a frothing rage like a mongoose backed into a corner. This ability functions as the barbarians rage (See the class feature in the PHB) in addition to the bonuses granted by Ki frenzy, except that when the frenzy ends he is instead exhausted instead of fatigued.

If you choose stance mastery for this ability you gain greater rage instead of the normal rage. This ability is active even if Ki Frenzy isn't active.

:Stance of The Roaring Landslide (Su): At tenth level you have mastered the stance of the roaring landslide. While in this stance you gain the ability to make a full attack on a charge (Per the Pounce ability) including your extra attacks from the flurry of blows ability granted by Ki frenzy. In addition, when you successfully make an attack as part of this charge you deal extra damage equal to 1d6+ Strength and a half per attack you land. (So if you land 1 attack you get 1d6, if you land 2 attacks 2d6, Etc, etc.) In addition if you make a successful bluff check (apposed by the enemies sense motive) this charge makes your enemies flat-footed for 1 round. there is no limit to how many times this ability can be used in a single fight.

If you choose stance mastery for this ability each square within your reach is considered difficult terrain.This ability is active even if Ki Frenzy isn't active.

Stance of the Haunting dragon (Su): At fifteenth level you take on the stance of the haunting Dragon. While in this stance you gain the frightful presence special ability (DC 10+ 1\2 class level+charisma mod to resist) and the use of the combat reflexes feat. If you already have combat reflexes you may make extra attacks of opportunity equal to your dex modifier in addition to the amount already allowed by combat reflexes (So you may make a number of AoO's equal to 2 times your dex score) and with the quickness of the giant lizard you emulate may make a second AoO Per trigger.

If you choose stance mastery for this ability you gain 60 foot blindsense. This ability is active even if Ki Frenzy isn't active.

Stance of the heavens (Su): At twentieth level your mastery of the five stance makes you as a god of war yourself. When you enter this stance you may choose an extra stance to enter (In addition to the one granted by two stances as one) and at any time may spend a swift action to shift ne stance to another (Ex: If you started a fight in the stance of the heavens, the stance of the injured mongoose and the stance of the haunting dragon you could spend a swift action to exit injured mongoose and enter the leaping tiger). In addition each of your stances gains a new function (See below) along with the original when you enter the stance of the heavens.

Stance of the wind walker: When you enter the stance of the wind walker along with the stance of the heavens you are not bound by the normal laws of physics. When you use your special full attack you can move in any direction, regardless if you have land to tread upon. If you end your movement in the air you slow fall (As per the spell) and take no fall damage unless an outside force acts upon you (such as a reverse gravity spell). This effect is always active while in the stance.

Stance of the injured Badger:When you enter this stance along with stance of the heavens you gain the mighty and tireless rage abilities in addition to your Ki-frenzy. In addition you become so tenacious that not even incredible bodily harm will kill you until your frenzy fades. If you drop to 0 hit points you can continue to fight on as normal, and if you hit -10 you do not die until your ki frenzy ends, where upon if your at -10 or more you die instantly.

Stance of the Roaring Landslide: When you enter this stance along with stance of the heavens your damage increases to 1d12+three times your strength score on each successful attack and slows enemies speed by 10 ft x the number of attacks landed.

Stance of the haunting dragon: When you enter this stance along with stance of the heavens your number of AoO's increases to three times your dexterity and allows for three attacks per trigger.

along with the ability to double the amount of attacks you can make in any given round.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
Sohei are proficientwith all simple and martial weapons, and with all armor (but no shields) .

Weapon Focus: at 1st level a Sohei gains Weapon Focus with a weapon of their choice as a bonus feat. Many sohei choose the naginata, the traditional weapon of the sohei.

Ki Frenzy: Starting at 1st level, a sohei gains the ability to focus her ki power into a frenzy of berserk energy. In this frenzied state, she temporarily gains +2 to strength and +2 to Dexterity. Her speed increases by 10 feet, and she can choose to make a flurry of blows with a full attack action in melee, making one extra attack per round while suffering a -2 penalty on every attack. While in a ki frenzy, a sohei cannot use skills or abilities that require patience or concentration, such as moving silently or casting spells . (She cannot use any class skills in a frenzy.) She can use any feat she might have except for Expertise, item creation feats, metamagic feats, and Skill Focus (if it's tied to a skill that requires patience or concentration) . A ki frenzy lasts for a number of rounds equal to three + the sohei's Constitution modifier. The sohei may prematurely end the
frenzy voluntarily. At the end of the frenzy, the sohei is fatigued (-2 to Strength, -2 to Dexterity, can't charge or run) for the duration of that
encounter. The sohei can only enter a frenzy once per encounter, and only a certain number oftimes per day (determined by level) . Entering a frenzy takes no time itself, but the sohei can only do it during her action, not in response to somebody else's action.

Uncanny dodge: At 2nd level a sohei has a second sense for danger, allowing him to dodge blows more easily. He gains the uncanny dodge ability (As a barbarian).

At 9th level he gains the uncanny dodge ability (As a barbarian).

Deflect Arrows: At 3rd level, sohei gains the Deflect Arrows feat (see Feats in the Player's Handbook), even if she doesn't have the prerequisite feat and Dexterity score

Remain Conscious: At 4th level, a sohei gains the Remain Conscious feat (see Chapter 4 in this book), even if she doesn't have the prerequisite
feats.

Spell casting: Beginning at 4th level, a sohei gains the ability to cast a small number of divine spells. To cast a spell, the sohei must have a Charisma score of at least 10 + the spell's level, so a sohei with a Charisma of 10 or lower cannot cast these spells. sohei bonus spells are based on Charisma, and saving throws against these spells have a Difficulty Class of 10 + spell level + Charisma modifier. When the sohei gets 0 spells of a given level, such as 0 1st-level spells at 4th level, the sohei gets only bonus spells. A sohei without a bonus spell for that level cannot yet cast a spell of that level. The sohei's spell list appears below. A sohei has access to any spell on the list and can freely choose which to prepare. A sohei prepares and casts spells just as a cleric or shaman does.

{table=head]Spells Per-Day
{table=head]Level | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
1st | - | - | - | - |
2nd | - | - | - | - |
3rd | - | - | - | - |
4th | 0 | - | - | - |
5th | 0 | - | - | - |
6th | 1 | - | - | - |
7th | 1 | - | - | - |
8th | 1 | 0 | - | - |
9th | 1 | 0 | - | - |
10th | 2 | 1 | 0 | - |
11th | 2 | 1 | 0 | - |
12th | 2 | 1 | 1 | 0 |
13th | 2 | 1 | 1 | 0 |
14th | 2 | 1 | 1 | 1 |
15th | 3 | 2 | 1 | 1 |
16th | 3 | 2 | 2 | 1 |
17th | 3 | 2 | 2 | 1 |
18th | 3 | 2 | 2 | 2 |
19th | 4 | 3 | 3 | 2 |
20th | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 |
[/table][/table]

Strength of Mind: A sohei of at least 5th level is immune to stunning and
sleep spells and effects.

Mettle: The sohei's special blessing allows her to shrug off magical effects that would otherwise damage or harm her. If a sohei of at least 6th level makes a successful Will or Fortitude saving throw that would normally reduce the spell's effect, she suffers no effect from the spell at all. Only
those spells with a Saving Throw entry of "Will partial," "Fortitude half," or similar entries can be negated through this ability.

Defensive Strike: At 7th level, a sohei gains the Defensive Strike feat (see Chapter 4 in this book), even if she doesn't have the prerequisite feats and
ability scores .

Mind over body (Su): at 12th level a sohei gains mastery over his subconscious and is able to shrug off damage that would deeply wound other men. He gains DR\- equal to his number of available Ki frenzies left for the day. each time he enters a Ki frenzy the number is doubled for the duration of the frenzy, and immediately after the number is dropped to his new total.

Keen senses: A sohei that reaches 14th level is incredibly vigilant. for every three sohei levels he possesses he gains a stacking +1 bonus to initiative.

Body over mind (Su): at 17th level the sohei gains mastery over the deepest functions of his body, he knows how to perfectly move ever muscle and tendon. He gains a bonus on attacks equal to his available number of Ki frenzies left for the day.

Masters Insight (Su): At 19th level a Sohei is completely in tune with his surroundings. He feels the subtle shifts in the air and the vibrations in the ground and his ears pick up the slightest sounds of impending danger. He is protected as per the Foresight spell.

Spell list
Level one:
Attraction*, bane, bless, detect chaos\law, divine favor, doom, endure elements, magic weapon, protection from chaos, resistance, shield of faith, virtue, bless weapon

Level two:
animal messenger, bull's strength, delay poison, lesser restoration, remove paralysis, resist energy, shield other, warning*

Level three:
Castigate (SpC), discern lies, dispel magic, greater magic weapon, magic circle against chaos, mental strength*, prayer, protection from energy

Level four:
Death ward, discern shapechanger, dispel chaos, divine power, fatigue*, freedom of movement, neutralize poison, orders wrath, remove fatigue, restoration, spell immunity, Wall of law (SpC)
*spells described below

Attraction: When you cast this spell a mystical aura surrounds the target creature, drawing attacks to it and making successful attacks more effective. all melee attacks that would strike anyone adjacent to the sohei instead target the subject of the spell, as well as all ranged attacks with the same criteria. each successful attack does +1 point of damage per caster level (Max +5) from each attack that has connected. this damage does not apply to damage done by spells of any kind.

Warning: this spell heightens the subject gains a +4 bonus to spot and listen checks and retains his dexterity bonus to AC (If any) egardless of being caught flat footed or struck by an invisible attacker (He still loses his dexterity bonus to AC if he is immobilized.)

Mental strength: you imbue the subject with magical strength of will, granting her a +8 bonus to will saves.

Fatigue: This spell drains the targets energy, making him fatigued for the duration of the spell.

(All above spells found in Oriental Adventures)

__________________________________________________ _________

Well, thats it. As the title states this is commisioned for Ino, but if you like it or have anything to ask\comment about I'll be here to answer; the Playgrounds knowledge is always welcome.

NeoSeraphi
2012-07-22, 06:59 PM
Dead level? At 2nd level? Really? Not even the fighter gets his first dead level until 3rd, and that's still way too early. (Though it's still better than Rogue 20).

This guy seems to be pretty perceptive, so why not Uncanny Dodge at 2nd, Improved Uncanny Dodge at 6th? Then at 14th level, give him some kind of scaling initiative bonus, and maybe an always active foresight effect at 19th level. That way, this guy is always on the ball, never surprised, just smacking arrows down and frenzying like a boss.

Now of course, I could be way off-base here, but you still shouldn't have any dead levels, especially not as early as 2nd. Dead levels encourage dipping, which encourages people to use your class for its first level and then forget it, and that's what we homebrewers generally try to avoid.

Averis Vol
2012-07-22, 07:30 PM
Dead level? At 2nd level? Really? Not even the fighter gets his first dead level until 3rd, and that's still way too early. (Though it's still better than Rogue 20).

This guy seems to be pretty perceptive, so why not Uncanny Dodge at 2nd, Improved Uncanny Dodge at 6th? Then at 14th level, give him some kind of scaling initiative bonus, and maybe an always active foresight effect at 19th level. That way, this guy is always on the ball, never surprised, just smacking arrows down and frenzying like a boss.

Now of course, I could be way off-base here, but you still shouldn't have any dead levels, especially not as early as 2nd. Dead levels encourage dipping, which encourages people to use your class for its first level and then forget it, and that's what we homebrewers generally try to avoid.

I don't see any reason why i couldn't add in uncanny dodge, I swear I forget that ability even exists sometime, though I am of the mind that dead levels aren't a truly terrible thing as long as you make the higher levels enticing enough to take.

But you are right, second level is a little early, I will give him uncanny dodge and the improved version at 9th and move mettle down to 6th only because i think 6th is a little early for improved. as for the initiative boost, thats a good idea, what stat should it be (if any) or should it be a static bonus, maybe 1\5 of his level?

NeoSeraphi
2012-07-22, 07:33 PM
I would say the initiative bonus could be as high as 1/3rd of his level (capping at +6, which makes it only slightly better than the Improved Initiative feat if you stay a sohei for 18 levels).

Averis Vol
2012-07-22, 08:08 PM
I would say the initiative bonus could be as high as 1/3rd of his level (capping at +6, which makes it only slightly better than the Improved Initiative feat if you stay a sohei for 18 levels).

I assume that would work fine, my only worry is that my game (At the moment) is low magic, so for maybe the first seven levels he is going to be a terror on the field. Though that will change once they meet the psion willing to do the whatevery whatever reformation that lets them change class levels ability scores etc, etc..... but yea, i think that will work seeing as it wont matter much after 3 or 4 more levels.

EDIT: updated the mettle and uncanny dodge abilities, Im also a bit stumped as what to give the last two dead levels. personally I think they're fine seeing as how invested they will be into the class at this time, but I'm definitely open to any ideas you might have.

Averis Vol
2012-07-22, 09:55 PM
Added in masters insight at level 19.
And Keen senses at 14.

Averis Vol
2012-07-28, 04:51 PM
After looking at his capstone I thought it was a bit too much to deal with, having to keep track of 4 stances would be a royal pain in the ass so I dropped it down to the two from two styles as one and am just going to give each something new to make it seem liek they arent getting gypped out of a capstone, though as of now I'm having a little trouble deciding a good upgrade for roaring landslide and haunting dragon, so if you guys have any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Averis Vol
2012-08-04, 12:56 PM
Added back in the soheis spells, It just felt a little too..... combat oriented, atleast this way he has some sort of support and defense ability.

will get skills down soon.

Averis Vol
2012-09-09, 05:51 PM
it took some time but I finally, out of a need to get it finished, decided on the last two abilities, completing the class. they're a little boring but they fit thematically.

if anyone can think of anything else feel free to tell me, as of now I hope this sits easily in the high tier 4 area.