PDA

View Full Version : Stat Alotment Advice

Ramshack
2012-07-22, 09:09 PM
Hey everyone,

Just wanted an opinion on how I should a lot my stat points

I rolled (2) 18s, (1) 16 (14) and (2) 12's.

I plan on going 2h reach AoO build 2 monk and 18 Zhentarim Solider

Currently have it fleshed it out as

18 str
18 con
16 dex
12 int
12 wis
14 cha

This is a NO magic campaign. No spells or magic items. I think we might get + weapons and maybe armor to show craftsman ship or quality but no special enchantments.

It may seem trivial but I wanted some advice if I should take 18 con or 18 dex.

Con means 1 more hp per level and dex means 1 more AoO and 1 More AC as well as higher ref save which is a low save.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Flickerdart
2012-07-22, 09:16 PM
Why Monk 2 and not, say, Barbarian 2? With 12 Wisdom you'll be wearing armour instead of using the Monk AC bonus anyway.

Dexterity won't be terribly useful to you as-is, since without magic items the best AC is from armor, and a mithral Full Plate only has a max Dexterity to AC of 3. +1 Reflex save, or +1 Fort save and +20 HP? It's not even a choice.

Godskook
2012-07-22, 09:31 PM
Why Monk 2 and not, say, Barbarian 2? With 12 Wisdom you'll be wearing armour instead of using the Monk AC bonus anyway.

Dexterity won't be terribly useful to you as-is, since without magic items the best AC is from armor, and a mithral Full Plate only has a max Dexterity to AC of 3. +1 Reflex save, or +1 Fort save and +20 HP? It's not even a choice.

Mithral Breastplate is light armor, though, which has the advantage of not truncating his movement speed.

Flickerdart
2012-07-22, 09:33 PM
Movement speed isn't that big of a deal, compared to +3 AC. Plus, what if he's a Dwarf?

Godskook
2012-07-22, 10:04 PM
Movement speed isn't that big of a deal, compared to +3 AC. Plus, what if he's a Dwarf?

1.Dwarf is an obvious corner case here. If he's a Dwarf, he probably already appreciates that Full Plate is the best choice.

2.No, +3 AC isn't worth as much as movement speed is, imho*, especially at the expected numbers we're dealing with. Especially when we're talking about the difference between 4 and 6 squares, which has significant tactical consequences.

*The exception here is if the DM is bad, and plays encounters like a final fantasy game and once the enemy engages, there's rarely any retreating or significant movement.

SowZ
2012-07-22, 10:54 PM
1.Dwarf is an obvious corner case here. If he's a Dwarf, he probably already appreciates that Full Plate is the best choice.

2.No, +3 AC isn't worth as much as movement speed is, imho*, especially at the expected numbers we're dealing with. Especially when we're talking about the difference between 4 and 6 squares, which has significant tactical consequences.

*The exception here is if the DM is bad, and plays encounters like a final fantasy game and once the enemy engages, there's rarely any retreating or significant movement.

Oh, come on, don't say if the DM is bad like that is a sure sign of bad DMing. Maybe it is how the players choose to fight, really.

Ramshack
2012-07-22, 11:59 PM
While some of the players enjoy more of the pure hack n slash aspect of the game. My DM accommodates all play styles. If someone wants to be a cat burglar he'll provider the opportunity or allow us to establish shops or new religions. He really works to let players flesh out their characters as much or as little as they want.

The battles are interesting and we're usually out numbered. Or at other disadvantages. He designs encounters around tactics and its usually unique and interesting each session.

This is our first non magic campaign. I chose to go 2 monk for feat economy for 2 levels I get Improved Grapple, Unarmed Strike (needed to threaten at 5' as I am not using a spiked chain) evasion and combat reflexes as a bonus feat. With barb I'd get rage 1x a day and fast movement and uncanny dodge. Which are all nice but are really non essential to my AoO Reach concept.

I should have included this in the original post but here is the character design I have fleshed out. Additionally as a bonus for no magic he is letting us pick a domain to take. We don't get the spells but get the special ability.

I have Strength, Rage, Competition or Retribution to choose from. I am consider Retribution or Competition the most.

Race Human:
Level 2 Monk, 18 Fighter (Zhentarim Solider)
Weapon Guisarme
BAB of 19
Flaw: Combat Expertise
Level 01 Monk: Jotunbrud, Improved Trip, Improved Grapple, Unarmed Strike
Level 02 Monk: Combat Reflexes, Evasion,
Level 03 Fighter: Deft Opportunist. Knock Down
Level 04 Fighter: Dungeon Crasher
Level 05 Fighter: (Skill Focus: Intimidate)
Level 06 Fighter: Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush
Level 07 Fighter: (Extended Intimidation)
Level 08 Fighter: Knock Back
Level 09 Fighter: Shock Trooper
Level 10 Fighter: Leap Attack
Level 11 Fighter: (Swift Demoralization)
Level 12 Fighter: Improved Sunder, Combat Brute
Level 13 Fighter:
Level 14 Fighter: Robilar's Gambit, Imperious Command
Level 15 Fighter: Defensive Sweep
Level 16 Fighter: [open feat]
Level 17 Fighter:
Level 18 Fighter: Overpowering Attack, [open feat]
Level 19 Fighter:
Level 20 Fighter: [open feat]

Flickerdart
2012-07-23, 08:50 AM
If you want to threaten adjacent, that's what armour spikes are for. As for bonus feats, Barbarian 2 (Wolf Totem) gets you Improved Trip, without having to burn a feat on Combat Expertise, and without having to have 13 Intelligence. Even with the Monk, you're much better off with the Passive Way style, since it gives you Combat Expertise and Improved Trip as bonus feats without needing the Intelligence either.

What do you need Evasion and Grapple for? Grappling characters can't AoO, and you can't use Monk Evasion while wearing the armour you would want.

SowZ
2012-07-23, 12:21 PM
Shoot if it is purely for feats go Fighter 2 at least you have full BAB and d10 HD.

Flickerdart
2012-07-23, 01:14 PM
He's already Fighter 18. Sadly you can't multiclass Fighter and Fighter.

SowZ
2012-07-23, 01:18 PM
He's already Fighter 18. Sadly you can't multiclass Fighter and Fighter.

Och. Zhentarim Soldier. ACF, right. In that case, I'll second Wolf Totem Barbarian. Still efficient featwise, with full BAB, d12 HD, and rage without sacrificing skill points. The only thing you are missing out from by sacrificing monk is the saves and honestly who cares?

(I think I may allow the more knowledgable players of mine freely multi class between all the fighter variants as much as they want. Sounds interesting.)