PDA

View Full Version : Ability Bumps

NavyBlue
2012-07-22, 11:06 PM
While looking through the DMG's section on crafting magic items, I have noticed the only option given is to give an enhancement bonus to abilities. Would there be any other types that an ability boost could be (I.E. Profane, Holy, etc.) If so, what books could they be found in?

Edit: I'm working on a Barbarian/ Bear Warrior build, so buffs to STR and CON would be incredibly helpful

VGLordR2
2012-07-22, 11:08 PM
Righteous Aura gives a +4 Sacred bonus to Charisma. It's a spell in the Spell Compendium.

eggs
2012-07-22, 11:42 PM
Off my head, Animal Devotion and Rightoeus Fury give sacred Str; Aura of Vitality and Rage give Morale Str, Dex and Con; a bunch of classes and spells give untyped bonuses to Str and Con; Enlarge, Giant size, etc. give size Str and Con; Chameleon gives competence to whatever ability you want. I'm sure there are more.

EDIT:
And if going PF, Alchemist mutagens/cognigens are alchemical to whatever ability you want.

I could swear there was an insight or two, but I'm just scratching my head as to where I saw it.

EDIT2:
That Truenamer gish!
E3: And Warmind

Psyren
2012-07-23, 12:21 AM
There's also the opposite of sacred, i.e. profane.

But do note that in the item costing system, alternatives to enhancement are generally prohibitively expensive.

For insight bonuses, one that immediately comes to mind is Owl's Insight from SpC.

Tomes of course give inherent bonuses.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-23, 12:25 AM
I think the Op is asking about crafting items with a bonus to an ability that isn't an enhancement bonus. (?) If that's the case, I'm afraid you're out of luck, navyblue. To the best of my knowledge ability boosting items only come in +X enhancement bonus body slot items, and +X inherent bonus books.

NavyBlue
2012-07-23, 01:32 AM
I think the Op is asking about crafting items with a bonus to an ability that isn't an enhancement bonus. (?) If that's the case, I'm afraid you're out of luck, navyblue. To the best of my knowledge ability boosting items only come in +X enhancement bonus body slot items, and +X inherent bonus books.

That is what I was asking, and yeah, if that's the case, sounds like I'm out of luck. Thanks anyway.:smallsmile:

VGLordR2
2012-07-23, 02:26 AM
The closest you can come is to get a continuous item of one of these spells.

Malimar
2012-07-23, 02:57 AM
Isn't there an artificer ability or something that allows you to make items with different kinds of bonuses?

killianh
2012-07-23, 03:14 AM
The closest you can come is to get a continuous item of one of these spells.

This. It's actually surprisingly cheap for such items too

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-23, 04:21 AM

It's also horribly vulnerable to the ban-hammer from a conservative DM. 5/day items are much easier to get allowed, even if it is nearly the same thing.

Curmudgeon
2012-07-23, 05:25 AM
No, it's not so cheap. Remember, pricing based on spell formula is a secondary rule. The primary rule is to price based on actual worth, usually by comparison with existing objects.