PDA

View Full Version : Mage's Misc. 'Brew ideas! (Most likely all 3.5) (Misc)

The-Mage-King
2012-07-23, 12:59 AM
So, I've been getting wonderful, wonderful ideas for homebrew.

And then not fleshing them out much, and just tossing together a few things that are then left languishing on my hard drive, wasting away with no attention.

So, I've decided to put my fairly random ideas in a single thread, so that if someone wants to, say, take up one of them, they can, and if someone's got ideas they're willing to throw at me for one, they can.

And, of course, I'll toss stuff that doesn't deserve it's own thread here.

So, give me, oh, 6 minutes to get posts reserved, and I'll drop an idea or three.

So, ideas.

First up, the Smiling Thief discipline.
The basic idea is, low levels, it starts as a fairly good pickpocket/feint monkey/stealth guy. Then, at higher levels (Maneuver levels, oh, 5+), it gets more... Interesting. And supernatural.

Like Sleight of Hand to steal energy resistances for a short time, and so on..

Here's what I've gotten done...

Hidden Knife Feint
Smiling Thief (Strike)
Level: 1
Initiation Action: Standard action
Range: Melee attack
Target: One creature

Slipping your knife from your sleeve, you approach with a movement that leaves your foe open to attack.

A simple, easy, and above all common technique of practitioners of the Smiling Thief discipline, the Hidden Knife Feint is used to leave targets blocking right where they shouldn't.
As part of this maneuver, you make a Sleight of Hand check, with a DC equal to the target's AC, then make a single melee attack against the target. If the Sleight of Hand check succeeds, the target is flat-footed for your attack. If it fails, the attack is made normally, but takes a -2 penalty.

Yes, it's Sapphire Nightmare Blade by another name, with a different skill. Still is a decent fit for a first level.

Thieving Sidestep
Smiling Thief (Rush (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178947))
Initiation Action: 1 move action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Instantaneous

As you dash by your mark, you bring your knife to the right spot, cutting loose the item you were after.

Another common trick that practitioners of the Smiling Thief discipline use, Thieving Rush is unique in its focus, at least compared to most disciplines.
You may move up to your land speed, making a single Sleight of Hand check against one creature you pass, with a DC of 20. If successful, you may appropriate one small object in their possession that is within easy reach, such as a coinpurse. The creature may make a Spot check, with a DC equal to your Sleight of Hand check, to notice you stealing the item.

Cunning Sham
Smiling Thief (Stance)
Initiation Action: Swift action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Stance

While in this stance, you may use the feint combat maneuver as a move action, instead of a standard action. If you have the Improved Feint feat, you may use it as a swift action instead.

Combat Theft
Smiling Thief (Counter)
Initiation Action: Immediate action
Range: Melee
Targets: One attacking creature

Taking advantage of your target's distraction in his attack, you grab his wrist, twist, and disarm him with one motion.

You may use this maneuver when a creature makes a melee attack with a manufactured weapon against you. When you initiate this maneuver, you may make a single disarm attempt against the creature attacking you, which does not provoke attacks of opportunity. If it succeeds, the creature is disarmed, and the attack fails.

Heart Ripping Theft
Smiling Thief (Strike)
Level: 8
Initiation Action: Standard action
Range: Melee
Targets: One living creature with discernable anatomy
Saving Throw: Fort partial (See text)

With enough practice, even the seemingly impossible thefts become possible.

When you initiate this maneuver, make a Sleight of Hand check, with DC equal to the target's AC+8. If it succeeds, the target must succeed on a DC 18+Dex Fortitude save or be instantly killed as his heart is ripped out. If he succeeds, he takes 6d8 damage instead.

Another thing that's actually mostly done is...

A Bard spell.

Memetic Tune
Enchantment *
Level: Bard 3
Components: V
Casting Time: Standard action
Range: Close (25 feet+ 5 feet/level)
Targets: All creatures within range, excluding self
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates

Humming an catchy tune, you weave your magic with it, causing untold confusion and distraction.

If the target fails the initial Will save, the tune embeds itself in their minds, causing them to take a -2 penalty to all Concentration checks and all Intelligence based checks, including the Knowledge skills and checks to notice illusions. Every hour that the target is awake, it may make a Will save with the same DC as the original one to reduce the penalty to -1 until the next hour. If it successfully makes the save three times in a row, the effect is shaken off, removing all penalties.

*Intentionally not Mind Affecting, because that just ruins the fun of watching vampires wander around humming Dragostea Din Tei (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk7Sxpmr7wI)

And another thing- a metamagic feat to chain spells together, releasing several at once for a Full-Round action.

It... Is most likely unbalanced. :smalltongue:

Spell Combo [Metamagic]
Prerequisites: Quicken Spell, Spellcraft 10 ranks.
Benefit: Using Spell Combo, a character can chain two or more spells with a standard action casting time so that they will be released at the same time. Casting a Spell Combo is a Full Round Action.
A Spell Combo takes up a spell slot equal to the combined total of the component spell’s levels, plus 1 per spell in the combo.
Only spells with a casting time of one standard action or less may be affected with this feat.

And now for ramblings on class ideas.
So, with Tome of Battle, melee gets to be fun, and useful outside of combat. With the homebrew called the Codices of Spellshaping (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?board=64.0), magic users are a hell of a lot less broken, and way more fun.

So, since the Fighting Man and the Magic-User/Priest have gotten a rehash to T3, why not the Thief?

Either make a few base classes focusing on skill tricks and the like, or come up with a social/non-actual combat system for them. Call the tricks Repartees, or something, to complement maneuvers and formulae.

Maybe do both- make a skill trick focused class, one with the subsytem I suggested, and then say that they and the factotum are the three "Skill" classes. If the skilltrick one is Wis-based, and the Repartee one is Cha, it's fit the basic pattern...

Of course, the entirely new subsytem would likely lead to Social Combat more than actual combat, which... :smallyuk:

Well, would have it's own disadvantages. :smalltongue: :smallamused:

The-Mage-King
2012-07-23, 01:00 AM
Reserved for misc ideas.

The-Mage-King
2012-07-23, 01:01 AM
Reserved for misc ideas 2.

The-Mage-King
2012-07-23, 01:02 AM
Reserved for misc ideas 3.

The-Mage-King
2012-07-23, 01:03 AM
Reserved for misc ideas 4.

Aaaaannnnndddd done. Tossing up what I've got sitting around.

Temotei
2012-07-23, 01:09 AM
Looking forward to this. Four reserved posts plus the original post is nearly 250,000 characters dedicated to homebrew. :smallcool:

The-Mage-King
2012-07-23, 01:16 AM
What can I say? I have a lot of ideas. :smalltongue:

...And when I posted that Sentai class, I reserved only four posts, because, "Hey, I'm not likely to make more than 30 abilities!".

I have topped 70k words on abilities alone. ;_;

The-Mage-King
2012-07-24, 12:09 AM
Tossed up another little idea.