PDA

View Full Version : a few MM2 critters re-converted (3.5e)

GenghisDon
2012-07-23, 04:11 AM
Hi all!

I'm bored & looking at this thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187046

got me thinking about how I'd have handled some of the critter/conversions. Lemmie know what you think! I'm not looking to re-invent them, just hold true(-er) to their origonal roles/places in D&D (for now).

Anyway...

Firbolg
large giant
HD: 13d8+52 (HP 111 )
Init:+4
Speed: 50
AC: 18 (-1 size, +2 leather, +3 natural +4 dex)
BAB/grapple: +9/+23
Attack: slam +18 melee (d4+10), or by weapon +18 melee (varies, +10), or by weapon +18 missle (d8+10) or rock +19 missle (2d6+10)
Full Attack: 2 slams +18 melee (d4+10), or by weapon +18/+13 (varies, +10) & slam +13 melee (d4+5)
Space/Reach: 10'/10'
SA: rock throwing
SQ: low light vision, spell resistance (15), fey qualities, SU abilities
Saves: F+12 R+12 W+10
Abilities: STR 30 DEX 18 CON 18 INT 14 WIS 14 CHR 14
Skills: Bluff +13, Disguise +13 (+23/25), Hide +11, Knowledge (nature) +15, Listen +13, Move silently +15, Search +13, Sense Motive +13, Spellcraft +13, Spot +13, Survival +13 (15/17), Swim +13, Climb +14, Diplomacy +6
Feats: Deflect Arrows (B), Snatch Arrows (B), Track, Brutal Throw, Combat Expertise, Improved Disarm, Combat Reflexes
Environment: temperate forest or hills
Organization: solitary, group (2-6) or enclave (6-18)
CR: 9? 10?
Treasure: standard
Alignment: often nuetral
Advancement: by class
LA: ?

Fey qualities: although Firbolg are giants, they also possess many qualities of the fey type. This includes good reflex & will saving throws, base 6 skill points per HD, and they are vulnerable to attacks that specifically target fey, such as favoured enemy bonuses, bane weapons or the junglerazer spell. They are still considered giants for such attacks as well.

Spell-like abilities (CL 13): Detect magic

Fool's Gold (SU): once per day a firbolg can transmute copper or brass objects into gold ones. Up to 13 cubic feet can be so changed (assume up to 4,000 cp per cubic foot). A creature examining "fool's gold" can determine it's nature with an appraise check (DC 25) or a spellcraft check (DC 33). Transformed objects revert to their origonal material after 13 hours. Striking an object soundly with cold iron may end the effect sooner (ends the effect on a roll of 15+ on d20). Transformed objects otherwise radiate no magic, although a true seeing or analyze dweormer spell reveals the ruse.

Diminution (SU): once per day a firbolg can reduce their size to medium, small, tiny, diminuative or fine (minimum 3" tall). The effect lasts for 3 hours, or until dismissed by the giant. Carried gear shrinks as well.

Alter Self (SU): as the spell of the same name, caster level 13, but a firbolg can assume the forms of fey, giants, or humanoids of 5 HD or less. This ability is also useable once per day.

Forget (SU): simular to the bard spell modify memory, but only elimination of the last 5 minutes of experience is possible. No concentration or extra time is required, but the target can make a will save (DC 18) to negate the effect.

Rock Throwing (EX): range increment 120', MM pg 119

Rock Catching (EX): see MM pg 119

Typical weapons: large club (d8+10), medium throwing axe (d8+10), large javelin (d8+10), large sword (2d6+10), rock/boulder (2d6+10), large Great Club (2d6+15), large battle axe (2d6+10), or large great axe (3d6+15). Often goes with a 1 handed weapon & slam for missle/rock defense.

Advances as a Beguiler, Spirit Shaman, Druid, Wizard (Enchanter, Illusionist or Transmuter, never picks these as opposition schools), Sorceror (same spell types as wizard), Ranger, Bard or Rogue.

Alignment leans towards chaos &/or good, so N, CN, or CG (or N/CN or N/CG) are the best choices.

I wouldn't recomend it be allowed as a PC, though I can certainly see a player wanting to be one.

Old Flavour text: "Of the minor races of giantkind, the firbolg is the most powerful. They are cautious, crafty, and have considerable magical power. They have learned to distrust (and fear) humans, and will be found only in remote and wild places. Ninety percent of encounters will be with small groups
of firbolgs or a lone wanderer. Ten percent of the time, however, the meeting will be with an enclave of several groups meeting for some purpose.

These human-looking giants will not always greet strangers with open arms, but usually firbolgs will not try to kill them (unless given provocation, of course). They do, however, enjoy appearing as little people and duping humans out of their treasure." 1e MM2 pg 68-69