PDA

View Full Version : Dragon PC

dantiesilva
2012-07-23, 10:05 AM
So I was wondering how dragon PCs actually work. From what I got from reading the Dracominica the earliest level you can start off as a dragon is

7 Black
10 Blue
10 Green
11Red
5 White
6 Brass
10 Bronze
7 Copper
12 gold
11 Silver

Though to me that does seem right for something that is not even two years old. Literally its a newborn. So please playground help explain this to me.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2012-07-23, 10:41 AM
Even as a newborn dragons are innately powerful. Absurdly so when compared to a standard PC race.

Generally, Steel, Mercury and Mist dragons are the best for use as PC races.

Pika...
2012-07-23, 01:07 PM
Try to find an issue of Dragon Magazine #320 for a racial progression (aka a dragon race turned into a level by level breakdown from level 1-20) for Metallic Dragons, and an issue of Dragon Magazine #332 for the Chromatic Dragons. I highly suggest both issues.

dantiesilva
2012-07-23, 10:18 PM
Sadly its a mount for each and every single NPC person in an elite group and as such they are all different colors so I actually need to do the work. And best of all don't own a single Dragon Mag.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2012-07-23, 10:21 PM
What level are these NPCs?

dantiesilva
2012-07-23, 10:25 PM
They are level 25. They are the ruling council of the elven kingdom and if you want I can give you a link of what one of them looks like saying I am making each one an individual.

Tvtyrant
2012-07-23, 10:25 PM
Personally I just run them by HD, and evolve their age categories when the HD reaches it. A True dragon from the PHB is about on par with a tier 3 of the same HD, and much weaker than a tier 1 of the same.

dantiesilva
2012-07-23, 10:32 PM
Yes but I am not sure how you generate ability scores and everything for them. Natural armor and such. It was to vague in Savage species, and the Dracomonica basically tells you not to do it.

Tvtyrant
2012-07-23, 10:35 PM
I don't. I just have their stats match the generic true dragon stats of a dragon of their HD and species. Their natural armor keeps evolving along the same lines, so their AC minus and spell or armor bonuses is going to be what it says on the generic stat.

This removes some choices, but their stats go up so dramatically that point buy really does fit anymore.

dantiesilva
2012-07-23, 10:40 PM
So basically go in the MM and look it up.

Tvtyrant
2012-07-23, 10:42 PM
Or use the handy-dandy System Reference Document! (http://www.d20srd.org/)

But yes, I just run them straight out of the Monster Manual.

dantiesilva
2012-07-23, 10:43 PM
Ok thank you. You know for a book dedicated to dragons it does not help you much on making dragon PCs.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2012-07-24, 12:20 PM
You aren't making PCs though. You're basically making cohorts per the Leadership feat. PCs are going to operate under different rules because class levels are better than even Dragon HD.

Urpriest
2012-07-24, 01:22 PM
Sadly its a mount for each and every single NPC person in an elite group and as such they are all different colors so I actually need to do the work. And best of all don't own a single Dragon Mag.

If they're mounts for NPCs there's no reason to expect to use the PC rules. These guys are NPCs, and they function just like any other NPC dragon. If you need help statting those, I suggest you read my Monster Handbook, link in sig.