PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Help with a Thug Archetype Rogue

dextercorvia
2012-07-23, 11:38 AM
I'm currently building a rogue for a pbp game. Starting at 1, PF only. I have decided on the Thug Archetype Rogue, because I want to try a fear based thing.

20 point buy max of 16 after racials, so I'm thinking Human with

S16 D12 C14 I10 W8 Ch16.

We get one trait from the APG, and one from the Adventure Path(RotR). The adventure path doesn't have much to offer my character -- I have tentatively picked Family Ties for +1 to local Knowledge. I picked Bully from the APG for +1 to Intimidate

Currently by level 3, I hope to have the following feats:

Weapon Focus (prereq)
Dazzling Display
Intimidating Prowess
Skill Focus: Intimidate

My main question is which order would be better? Should I take Weapon Focus and Dazzling Display at 1st, allowing me a lower chance to affect more enemies, waiting until my Rogue Talent at 2 to pick up Intimidating Prowess. Or, should I switch Dazzling Display and Intimidating Prowess, so I have a higher chance to affect a single opponent at 1, moving up to multiples at 2?

I expect to spend a while at level 1, or else I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm also open to other suggestions, I have only recently started messing with PF and realize I could be missing something awesome.

Larpus
2012-07-23, 03:38 PM
Don't hold my opinions too high as it's a case-by-case thing, but usually lower level battles have less enemies than higher level ones, not to mention that extra bonuses to this or that skill are much more valuable in the lower levels.

As a result, I'd get either Intimidating Prowess or Skill Focus at level 1 and hold Dazzling Display until level 3.

dextercorvia
2012-07-23, 07:23 PM
My best guess based on CR 1 and below in the Bestiary is that with one of the skill boost feats I can demoralize 1 critter 100% of the time. With Dazzling Display instead, I can get all of them 85% of the time. It's true what you say though. At level 1, it is unusual to have more than 2-3 opponents, and probably about 50% of encounters are vs. solitary opponents.

I think you are probably right.

Keneth
2012-07-24, 01:00 AM
Is there a reason you're not taking Enforcer, so that you can effectively frighten anything that comes close?

Also, if you're playing RotR, you should probably take note that there's a lot of creatures immune to mind-affecting effects (which includes intimidation).

dextercorvia
2012-07-24, 07:14 AM
Is there a reason you're not taking Enforcer, so that you can effectively frighten anything that comes close?

Also, if you're playing RotR, you should probably take note that there's a lot of creatures immune to mind-affecting effects (which includes intimidation).

Do you mean the feat where I have to deal non-lethal damage to demoralize?

Keneth
2012-07-24, 07:28 AM
Yes, it's a surefire way to frighten anything that's not immune to fear. It's great for crowd control and it's gonna piss your GM off endlessly. All you need is a merciful weapon (or one that does non-lethal damage by default if you can't buy/craft one) and you're golden.

dextercorvia
2012-07-24, 08:04 AM
I just really didn't want to get stuck with a sap for a weapon. And, with requiring a successful attack rolls, it has two chances to fail.

Keneth
2012-07-24, 08:24 AM
Hence I recommended a merciful weapon. It's an excellent enchantment and can be turned off in cases where non-lethal damage is ineffective. You do still have to hit, but it's easier than succeeding on a +10 DC demoralize check to frighten someone. One of my players had this combo and it was stupid effective, to the point where we decided to increase the demoralize DC to 15 + HD + Will save bonus. :smallbiggrin:

dextercorvia
2012-07-24, 09:42 AM
Hence I recommended a merciful weapon. It's an excellent enchantment and can be turned off in cases where non-lethal damage is ineffective. You do still have to hit, but it's easier than succeeding on a +10 DC demoralize check to frighten someone. One of my players had this combo and it was stupid effective, to the point where we decided to increase the demoralize DC to 15 + HD + Will save bonus. :smallbiggrin:

Not really available at level 1 though. And as a pbp, I rather expect it not to progress very quickly.

Keneth
2012-07-24, 10:22 AM
True, the only decent alternative I've seen was a whip, but that's not really a rogue weapon, plus you'd need whip mastery at the least to be effective. It does have a coolness factor though.

dextercorvia
2012-07-24, 10:47 AM
True, the only decent alternative I've seen was a whip, but that's not really a rogue weapon, plus you'd need whip mastery at the least to be effective. It does have a coolness factor though.

Which wouldn't kick in till level 3. Thanks for that feat though. Food for thought.

Larpus
2012-07-24, 12:15 PM
My best guess based on CR 1 and below in the Bestiary is that with one of the skill boost feats I can demoralize 1 critter 100% of the time. With Dazzling Display instead, I can get all of them 85% of the time. It's true what you say though. At level 1, it is unusual to have more than 2-3 opponents, and probably about 50% of encounters are vs. solitary opponents.

I think you are probably right.
Another thing that sometimes comes into play, is that if a DM feels that his mooks are being shut down too fast (such as you intimidate everyone at once nearly all the time), he might end up tempted to increase the CR of the fights (not necessarily a good thing as you might just have been lucky) or actively try to find ways to counter your strategy, which is definitely not a good thing.