PDA

View Full Version : Magical Sports

Karoht
2012-07-23, 05:36 PM
Okay, I get the idea behind quiddich, but I'm pretty sure that DnD magic users would play something else.

Same with Wizard Chess from Harry Potter. These are people who can bend reality at a whim, I'm certain they could come up with a really cool board game.

Suggestions?

toapat
2012-07-23, 05:49 PM
really, just take Wizards chess and replace the Queen with a Tarrasque piece, and you have the DnD equivalent.

Electro Hockey comes to mind though as a DnD wizard sport. its like regular hockey, but the puck is replaced with a permananced Ball Lightning Spell

Thomar_of_Uointer
2012-07-23, 07:09 PM
I came up with an interesting idea based on telekinetic magic. The game basically runs like soccer with two opposing goals, but in a bowl-shaped field (the goals are Colossal-sized circles roughly 30 degrees up if the bowl is spherical).

If a player touches the ball the opposing team gains a point (so people will try to push the ball at you, but you can hit the ball intentionally if you think it will be worth it). Getting the ball into the enemy team's goal is five points. The goalie is the only person allowed to touch the ball without granting the other team points. Grabbing the ball and running with it is allowed up to the midfield line, but grants the opposing team two points. Physical contact or using magic against an opponent is a foul, but you're allowed to throw around whatever illusions or flashy pyrotechnics you want to distract or mislead the enemy team as long as they are purely visual. Directly dispelling an opponent's magic is perfectly legal. Use of mind-affecting magic is a foul. Teams are allowed to use any kind of magic on the players as long as they don't make themselves bigger than Large-sized or smaller than the ball, and buffing is not allowed while the ball is in play. Most of the unstoppable types of magic (stopping time, teleporting the ball) are fouls. Magic items are highly restricted, only a specific set are allowed (potions are okay though).

Of course, this is assuming that being closer to the ball makes it easier for you to telekinetically move it.

toapat
2012-07-23, 07:16 PM
I came up with an interesting idea based on telekinetic magic. The game basically runs like soccer with two opposing goals, but in a bowl-shaped field (the goals are roughly 30 degrees up if the bowl is spherical).

If a player touches the ball the opposing team gains a point (so people will try to push the ball at you, but you can hit the ball intentionally if you think it will be worth it). Getting the ball into the enemy team's goal is five points. The goalie is the only person allowed to touch the ball without granting the other team points. Grabbing the ball and running with it is allowed up to the midfield line, but grants the opposing team two points. Physical contact or using combat magic against an opponent is a foul, but you're allowed to throw around whatever illusions or flashy pyrotechnics you want to distract or mislead the enemy team as long as they are purely visual. Use of mind-affecting magic is a foul. Teams are allowed to use any kind of magic on the players as long as they don't make themselves bigger than Large-sized or smaller than the ball, and buffing is not allowed while the ball is in play.

Of course, this is assuming that being closer to the ball makes it easier for you to telekinetically move it.

this is kinda like my Electro Hockey idea, but with a ball, instead of a contact it and kill your team orb, you have people have to use fly in a Non-gravity field.

And you mean 30 degrees off of the horizon of the sphere, not 30 degrees up, as 30 degrees up means its in the lower half

Thomar_of_Uointer
2012-07-23, 07:19 PM
And you mean 30 degrees off of the horizon of the sphere, not 30 degrees up, as 30 degrees up means its in the lower half

Well, my original idea was a flat playing surface. In a weightless or nearly-weightless field you could put them on opposite ends of a sphere.