PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Bad

Dumbledore lives
2012-07-23, 08:23 PM
So season 5 episode 2 has just come out, and I'm wondering if anyone else is watching this truly fantastic show. There are shows I like better, but I think this is one of the most beautifully shot, directed, and acted shows on TV, as well as delivering some truly awe inspiring emotional moments, and climaxes. So at this point I honestly have no idea what'll happen in this season, but I'll put a few predictions in the spoiler.

At this point no one is safe. I know this season will be split into two, so I'm expecting a big revelation or discovery just before the split, someone is going to discover Walt is Heisenberg, possibly Hank but he's already had a few huge moments so I don't think it'll be him.

Honestly I don't think Jessie will survive this season. Of the principal cast, that is Walt, Skyler, Jessie, Hank, and Mike I don't think they will all survive. Walt will survive to the second half of the season, but after that all bets are off. At this point he is the big bad, so will be defeated, the question is just how.

I think this most recent episode just cemented how low Walt is willing to go, comforting Jessie as he was weeping about the possibility of shooting him for something it turns out he actually did. He poisoned a child, it's just so different from Season 1 Walt. Just about every time before he killed in self defence, though eventually the justifications got pretty weak, but now well to use a Star Wars metaphor he killed the Emperor and has truly fallen to the dark side, and Darth Vader may well be a casualty in the ruins of his life.

VanBuren
2012-07-24, 02:43 AM
I didn't read your spoiler because I assume it references some major game-changing moments. I've started watching this show recently, but I'm just finishing up season 2.

Walter's cancer has just gone into remission. I love this, because not only does it take his principal justification and throw it out but it changes the basic conceit of the show as well.

That said, am I the only one getting the impression that Walt wasn't really the quintessential put-upon man? He seems to have always had that chip on his shoulder as far as I can tell.

Dumbledore lives
2012-07-24, 07:47 AM
Season 2 seems to be about dragging Walt and Jessie down to their lowest points, which is why in my opinion season 3 is the most uncomfortable, it really highlights the vulnerability of all the characters and just keeps laying it on. That's not to say it's not good, but it really is a difficult to watch season, at least for me.

Dienekes
2012-07-24, 07:50 AM
I think it's the best show currently on tv, with the possible exception of Sherlock.

Missed last episode though, need to watch it tonight.

Tyndmyr
2012-07-24, 09:38 AM
I think it's the best show currently on tv, with the possible exception of Sherlock.

Missed last episode though, need to watch it tonight.

I endorse this opinion. Is exactly correct.

I'm still in season four, though...but it's epic. Will be avoiding spoilers for now, until I catch up.

pita
2012-07-25, 12:36 PM
I'm in Season 2...
This is a show about a guy who keeps being told what the right thing to do is, and who constantly throws it away because he can't bear the idea of owing anyone. When your options are either:
A. Take charity
B. Order a killing
And you don't take the first choice, there's something wrong with you.
It's not a show about a basically good guy who's forced to break bad. It's a show about a proud person breaking the shell he forced himself into, because it feels more right than to accept help.
Jesse on the other hand, is a nice ****-up who is Walt's chew toy, because he's too stupid for anything else. He's really the most depressing character in this bleak empty hopeless shell of a TV show.
Quite possibly the best TV I've ever seen, though.

generousmoblin
2012-07-25, 12:43 PM
The transformation of Walt is brilliant! Initially his justifications seemed correct and there was an element of pity for his character as he seemed so crushed in his life. The 'decline' I suppose is so layered and all steps seem justified at the time which is what makes it so compelling.

The deal with the laptop was awesome and kind of hilarious, reminded me how darkly funny the show can be. I think that Walt will die, because that seems like the only 'way out' morally for his character. Jessie will survive I feel, he started 'bad; and I think he will end 'good'. Can't wait to see how it pans out!

Dumbledore lives
2012-07-30, 06:20 AM
So spoilers for episode 3.

I'm now almost sure this is going to end poorly for Walt. His pride is showing itself off constantly to be his fatal flaw, and it is what will in all likelihood kill him, or at least put him in jail. I liked the episode, it started off seeming more comedic like the first episode, but got steadily darker.

I feel really bad for Jessie now, because though there is a chance it'll all end happily for him, it's not high. He's actually trying to be a good person, but this is not the kind of show which rewards that too much. Skyler is in kind of the same boat, and about an equally morally grey area. The ending would be too sad if she died though, so I'm praying she lives.

As for their cooking ideas, they seem fine, though something will almost assuredly go wrong as we approach the end of the first half. Interesting that we didn't see Hank in this episode though, apparently he's gone back to work, I'm unsure what they're going to do with his storyline, since the only way to make it interesting is discovering Walt or something, but I don't a way that could happen. I'm sure the writers will surprise me though.

Sipex
2012-08-01, 08:28 AM
I absolutely love this show, I've currently watched up to Season 5, episode 1.

Personally, I think the show is going to end with Walt's death, either by cancer (it seems to be coming back imo) or by Jesse's hand. However, I believe this season is going to have him set up his own major operations and become the reigning drug lord before dying, leaving behind a working, functional crime ring which (possibly) is run by Jesse or Skyler in the end.

Rallicus
2012-08-01, 08:43 AM
I've watched Breaking Bad sporadically through the years, and while I don't think it's a great show, it does have it's moments. This season is a bit lacking thus far, though.

I think the writers are going to throw a curveball to the audience this final season, since every show has a tendency to do that nowadays. Walt won't die, as everyone suspects. However, I think Jessie will die. He's taken the brunt of the abuse every season, so everyone suspects he'll be fine and Walt will get what's coming to him. I doubt it. The King stays the King.

Eldonauran
2012-08-06, 05:36 PM
I enjoyed the show up to the point I stopped watching it.

When he allowed the girl to choke to death on her own vomit, I called it quits. I stopped the episode and deleted the rest of the ones I downloaded.

I was NOT ok with that. :smalleek: :smallconfused: :smallannoyed: :smallmad: :smallfurious:

Dienekes
2012-08-06, 05:52 PM
Yes, Walter White is a bad man. Kinda the point of the show really.

Eldonauran
2012-08-06, 06:15 PM
Yes, Walter White is a bad man. Kinda the point of the show really.

I realize that. I was somewhat empathetic with him up till the point I mentioned above. Once he fully made the decision to step over that line, I pulled myself away. Something instinctual inside of me reared up and howled in anger. I was really engaged in the story and was surprised at my reaction.

I don't think I've ever been that mad and disgusted at the same time. And I have a pretty high tolerance towards that kind of stuff.

Arcane_Secrets
2012-08-06, 06:35 PM
I've watched Breaking Bad sporadically through the years, and while I don't think it's a great show, it does have it's moments. This season is a bit lacking thus far, though.

I think the writers are going to throw a curveball to the audience this final season, since every show has a tendency to do that nowadays. Walt won't die, as everyone suspects. However, I think Jessie will die. He's taken the brunt of the abuse every season, so everyone suspects he'll be fine and Walt will get what's coming to him. I doubt it. The King stays the King.

I always thought it was going to end with Jesse shooting Walt, which seems more likely if he ever finds out that Walt poisoned Brock with the lily of the valley in order to get Jesse on his side and set up his killing of Gus last season.

With what happened last night, I think that Skyler's eventually going to kill herself this season.

VanBuren
2012-08-07, 01:09 AM
I am now fully caught up with the show. Wow. Every season just gets better and better.

Also, I can't put my finger on what moment it happened exactly, but at what point did he stop pretending to be Heisenberg and start pretending to be Walt?

3SecondCultist
2012-08-10, 03:51 PM

This. You are so right, my friend! I have only watched through the first several seasons, but most of the plot has already been spoiled for me. I can definitely say that I am looking forward to seeing more. Given what I know, I would describe this series as Scarface meets Death Note.

Question: what's with all the hate for Skyler/Marie? Everyone I know who watches the show extremely dislikes both characters. Other than hypocrisy, I find little to fault them with.

pita
2012-08-11, 06:27 AM
Marie is psychotic, and her only role appears to be making everyone's life difficult.
The Skyler hate is because she's the wife. She calls him out on ALL of his bull, and people don't like seeing their protagonist treated that way. Me, I think Walt is a turd and she's absolutely justified, but also a bit of a hypocrite.
I haven't seen anything after episode five of season three, so I don't quite know how it continues. Might be things change, and there's more of a reason. Or less.

Dienekes
2012-08-11, 08:39 AM
Marie is a pain, and a gossip, really her only role is to either do something to mess Skyler/Hank up or reveal a secret that someone foolishly told her in confidence. I don't hate her, but I am annoyed by her, and sadly she reminds me all too much of a few folks I know.

Skyler is hated because well honestly I think hatred for her is misplaced. Ok she messed up at the end of last season with where the money went. But on whole she's probably the most level-headed of the adults in Walt's family. She calls him out on his crap (which he richly deserves in some situations), and when she does try to make it work with Walt again she is constantly looking out for him and willing to put her own relationship with her family on the line for him ("He'll hate you for this" "I know" and the whole gambling thing). But she can only take it so far, and now she realizes she's trapped. To me she is acting as rational as anyone when someone says this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMEq1mGpP5A) to you (one of my favorite villain speeches I've ever heard by the way)

Tyndmyr
2012-08-11, 10:39 AM
Marie is psychotic, and her only role appears to be making everyone's life difficult.
The Skyler hate is because she's the wife. She calls him out on ALL of his bull, and people don't like seeing their protagonist treated that way. Me, I think Walt is a turd and she's absolutely justified, but also a bit of a hypocrite.
I haven't seen anything after episode five of season three, so I don't quite know how it continues. Might be things change, and there's more of a reason. Or less.

Skyler is hated not because she calls him out...some of that is entirely justified. She's hated because she makes very poor decisions. She's not a bad person by any means(nor a bad char, for that matter), but her int score is a shade low sometimes.

That said, there's no perfect people in the TV show. Everyone's got flaws, and that's fine. Good, even. Marie, I agree with being annoying, though.

Rallicus
2012-08-11, 10:53 AM
I'd hate Marie if it wasn't for all the goofy faces she makes. I don't know, something about her actress and character just cracks me up, even when it's not supposed to.

Skyler, on the other hand, I can't stand. Yes, her character is annoying and a royal screw up, but she tries to do what's best for her family. She's a flawed character just like most people. Unfortunately, her actress is awful and I can't stand her. I've been a part of the "Kill off Skyler White" group on Facebook for about two years now. Perhaps our dreams will finally come to fruition?

As for my opinion on the season thus far: it's okay. Maybe I'm burned out from the show, but I just don't have that "I can't wait to see what happens next!" attitude I had when I first started watching.

EDIT: Also just thought of something. I have a feeling the cigarette behind the power outlet is going to somehow end up on a desk or something, like an electrician will put it there, and Skyler will smoke it. Calling it now.

pita
2012-08-11, 10:56 AM
I continued watching Breaking Bad, am up to episode 9 of season three... Marie's characterization is ridiculously shakey. She seems to be whatever's most dramatic, going from "Psychotic housewrecker" in season one to "Smartest person in the show" in season 3.... Dunno what's going to happen next. Here's to Walter White reconciling everything and everyone and everyone living happily ever after, with Gus as a friendly extra uncle to this family.

Tyndmyr
2012-08-11, 11:00 AM
[QUOTE=Rallicus;13708430]
Skyler, on the other hand, I can't stand. Yes, her character is annoying and a royal screw up, but she tries to do what's best for her family. She's a flawed character just like most people. Unfortunately, her actress is awful and I can't stand her. I've been a part of the "Kill off Skyler White" group on Facebook for about two years now. Perhaps our dreams will finally come to fruition?/QUOTE]

I haven't actually thought it was her time to die yet...but I suspect that it might happen in season 5. Maybe. I think the biggest problem with Skyler and/or Marie dying is that it weakens the connection between Walt and Hank, and both of those chars are amazing. So...while it's entirely possible that family members are going to die, it's almost certainly not going to happen until we're on the home stretch.

VanBuren
2012-08-12, 12:14 AM
Skyler is hated not because she calls him out...some of that is entirely justified. She's hated because she makes very poor decisions. She's not a bad person by any means(nor a bad char, for that matter), but her int score is a shade low sometimes.

That said, there's no perfect people in the TV show. Everyone's got flaws, and that's fine. Good, even. Marie, I agree with being annoying, though.

Yeah, it's Skyler who makes the bad decisions. Not Walter "I need everyone to recognize my genius badly enough that I'll sabotage everything and risk tipping off my DEA brother-in-law while alienating everyone around me" White.

Honestly, he's the least sympathetic character on the show at this point. Which, is kind of impressive when you think about where he started. Not a knock at the writing either, I think they meant it to be that way.

Tyndmyr
2012-08-13, 10:06 AM
Yeah, it's Skyler who makes the bad decisions. Not Walter "I need everyone to recognize my genius badly enough that I'll sabotage everything and risk tipping off my DEA brother-in-law while alienating everyone around me" White.

Honestly, he's the least sympathetic character on the show at this point. Which, is kind of impressive when you think about where he started. Not a knock at the writing either, I think they meant it to be that way.

Walt is sympathetic, because he's the POV char. And because of his history....not because of his actions. Pride and wrath are most definitely problems for him. However, while he does make poor decisions due to both of those and paranoia...he doesn't usually make poor decisions for other/unexplained reasons.

On the other hand, some of Skylar's poor decisions are relatively uninformed to us, the viewers, making her appear to be a less intelligent individual. This, combined with her slowness to accept who walt's becoming makes her appear a bit...less than smart. Not unrealistically so, certainly, but enough that some people would def care less about her. I can empathize with a smart villain fairly easily, and thus, both Gus and Mike are amazing chars. I can sympathize with them...but pretty much nobody was sympathizing with Tuco.

Rallicus
2012-08-13, 02:05 PM
Last episode reminded me why I watched this show in the first place.

Rather than focus on entry level symbolism and foreshadowing like the previous episode, it made good use of tension throughout. The interrogation with jittery girl and the train robbery actually made me care about what was going to happen. While there was some symbolism I think (the whole scene with Hank drawing the blinds on himself first), and there was certainly some foreshadowing with the introduction, overall I felt like they focused less on that and more on the tension, which made this my favorite episode of the season thus far.

VanBuren
2012-08-13, 03:41 PM
Walt is sympathetic, because he's the POV char. And because of his history....not because of his actions. Pride and wrath are most definitely problems for him. However, while he does make poor decisions due to both of those and paranoia...he doesn't usually make poor decisions for other/unexplained reasons.

On the other hand, some of Skylar's poor decisions are relatively uninformed to us, the viewers, making her appear to be a less intelligent individual. This, combined with her slowness to accept who walt's becoming makes her appear a bit...less than smart. Not unrealistically so, certainly, but enough that some people would def care less about her. I can empathize with a smart villain fairly easily, and thus, both Gus and Mike are amazing chars. I can sympathize with them...but pretty much nobody was sympathizing with Tuco.

At least for me though, Walt has long since burned through the sympathy gained from his circumstances and past with his actions, not at all helped by the fact that the sympathy gained from his background has been eroded by the heavy implications that his partners didn't screw him over, but that he jumped ship out of pride.

It's all very well done, and Walt has essentially become the Big Bad of the show for me.

Tyndmyr
2012-08-13, 04:04 PM
At least for me though, Walt has long since burned through the sympathy gained from his circumstances and past with his actions, not at all helped by the fact that the sympathy gained from his background has been eroded by the heavy implications that his partners didn't screw him over, but that he jumped ship out of pride.

It's all very well done, and Walt has essentially become the Big Bad of the show for me.

Oh, yes. It's a very fantastic turn to villainy. On the flip side, Jesse is a bit more sympathetic now, and we've got some other excellent chars to keep people emotionally attached. So, despite Walt definitely going for supervillany, we don't end up with one of those shows where you just hate everyone and want them all to die.

VanBuren
2012-08-13, 04:10 PM
Oh, yes. It's a very fantastic turn to villainy. On the flip side, Jesse is a bit more sympathetic now, and we've got some other excellent chars to keep people emotionally attached. So, despite Walt definitely going for supervillany, we don't end up with one of those shows where you just hate everyone and want them all to die.

Sadly, one of my former roommates felt that way. He stopped watching because he said he had no interest in a show where he couldn't identify with the protagonist any more. He'd stopped watching before I moved in, so I don't know where he stopped exactly. Though I'd guess the end of season 2, roughly.

Bit of a shame, that.

VanBuren
2012-08-27, 02:05 AM
I don't mean to double-post, but WHAT AN EPISODE.

Seriously.

At this point, Walter needs to die. Ever since Fring I've thought he needed to down, but the series ending with him in prison or finally realizing how empty his life has become would have been OK with me. But with this, I can't be satisfied without an ending that destroys Walter. Ideally through his death, although if they can manage a worse fate then I'm listening.

Tyndmyr
2012-09-04, 09:12 AM
I agree. At this point, I want him to die...he's not just evil, he's become an evil jackass. This last episode, however, gave us some interesting stuff...It's a shame we have to wait so long to see where it goes.

That said, if you had as much money as Walter...damn, what would you be doing?

Dienekes
2012-09-04, 04:03 PM
Maybe it's the fact that I love a good villain. But I kind of want to see Walt make it, alone, with his billions. An empty man on a mountain of money, continuing to do what he thinks he has to.

Also as to last episode: YES! I have been waiting for this for 5 seasons! Err, i guess 4 seasons and 7 episodes, but still. Awesome.

soir8
2012-09-07, 03:58 PM
I've immensely enjoyed Breaking Bad throughout, and all I can say in regards to the ending of episode 8 is SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Seriously though, HNNGGGGGGGGGGGGG

I may make some kind of relevant contribution to this discussion when I'm breathing normally again.

Dumbledore lives
2012-09-09, 02:19 PM
Wow, just caught up and it didn't disappoint. The only bad thing is the long wait until part 2, when everything will go down. Also Walter is a terrible terrible person, I knew it at the end of Season 2 but now, now he's gone so far beyond redemption it's almost hyperbolic.