PDA

View Full Version : Pearl of Power for A Beguiler?

Palanan
2012-07-23, 08:25 PM
Is there an item that would grant an extra spell to a beguiler, the way that a pearl of power does for a prepared caster?

And I should say, a moderately priced magic item. I'm looking at the Circlet of Mages from MIC, and while it would do the trick, it's also a little too expensive for this particular beguiler. Is there anything else that would serve the purpose, but closer to the pearl's price range?

Amoren
2012-07-23, 09:03 PM
You're looking for the Momento Magica from Races of the Dragon. It's (they're) explicitly a (are) Pearl of Power(s) for spontaneous casters.

GenghisDon
2012-07-23, 09:08 PM
more costly & rightly so. here you go:

"Price: 1,500 gp (1st); 6,000 gp (2nd); 13,500 gp (3rd); 24,000 gp (4th); 37,500 gp (5th), 54,000 gp (6th); 73,500 gp (7th); 96,000 gp (8th); 121,500 gp (9th)." ROTD pg 124

Ernir
2012-07-23, 09:14 PM
Memento Magicas are... kind of crap. More expensive than equivalent Pearls of Power, and they are used on classes which tend to have more slots to begin with. Meh.

I'd invest in wands or scrolls instead.

GenghisDon
2012-07-23, 09:22 PM
Strangely, neither is a slot item per se, yet the prices would appear as if they were. Anyone think a slot item that gave the extra spell should only cost half what the pearl or momento do? or should the pearl/momento cost double the listed prices (seems too much IMHO)?

how about a wizard's hat (pointed, cone, stars, moons ect) that grants an extra 1st, 2nd & 3rd level wizard spell to the wearer?

Headslot: 9,000/2 +(4,000/2)1.5 +(1,000/2)1.5= 8250 gp.

It actually seems a might costly at first glance compared to headband of intellect +2 (4,000 gp) or +4 (16,000 gp), even with the halved base costs.

Thoughts?

Palanan
2012-07-23, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the reference(s) to the memento magica...I knew something like it had to exist.

But yeah, I don't see why it's half again as expensive as the pearl of power. On the face of it, scrolls are far more economical...although the memento magica does have versatility, and it's a renewable resource. Hm.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-23, 10:36 PM
If I had to guess, I'd bet that the difference in cost is because the pearl carries an opportunity cost that the memento doesn't. When you decide to use a pearl of power, you have to choose which of your spells to recover, and if it turns out you don't need that spell again today, you've wasted the pearl. With the memento, however, you just get a spell-slot back that you can then use for any spell you know of the same or any lower level.

One is clearly more powerful than the other, imo.

Answerer
2012-07-23, 11:42 PM
More powerful, yes.

50% more powerful? Not even remotely.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-23, 11:52 PM
More powerful, yes.

50% more powerful? Not even remotely.

I was just speculating as to why WoTC priced it that way. I never said it was well done.

Darrin
2012-07-24, 07:08 AM
I was just speculating as to why WoTC priced it that way. I never said it was well done.

That was just part of their "We must punish Sorcerers for being AWESOME!" mindset.

nedz
2012-07-24, 11:09 AM
Wasn't it errated to be 100% more expensive ?

GenghisDon
2012-07-24, 11:28 AM
I hope not, but...

It is the pearl of power that is the problem

It is a slot-less item, and thus, if the item cost formula is correct, it ought cost twice wht's listed.

Personally, I suspect that is over priced, and I'll try halving the cost for slot based spell adder items

The other pearl problem is that it is limited compared to it's base item premise: which is an extra spell of level X. The pearl is limited to "recall spell cast of level X", which isn't as good, although simular.

I think I'll reduce the pearl cost 20% to reflect that, 10% for less choice, 10% for not having the spell at the ready.

Memento Magicas will have the cost pearls of power currently do.

Thoughts?

StreamOfTheSky
2012-07-25, 11:55 PM
Wasn't it errated to be 100% more expensive ?

You're thinking of the Pathfinder version of the item. Some sort of "runestone" or whatever. Costs double what pearls do.

Cause PF is awesome at gauging how powerful things are relative to each other.

Memento Magica was reprinted into Magic Item Compendium, but price remained the same.

Deophaun
2012-07-26, 12:08 AM
It is a slot-less item, and thus, if the item cost formula is correct, it ought cost twice wht's listed.
The cost is fine as, if you made it a proper slotted item, it wouldn’t affect the utility by a whole lot. Make it an amulet, and the user just puts it on, uses it, replaces it with his usual amulet, and continues on his merry way. Or make it a held item, and it’s slightly more convenient.

So, while it may break the formula (which is just a guideline anyway), the slotless nature doesn’t lend a whole lot to the item.

GenghisDon
2012-07-26, 12:13 PM
The point is that the pearl is NOT a spell slot adder, not really.

An item that allows a caster extra spell(s)/day would typically need to be worn constantly, else the spell(s) be lost.

pearls of power are a spell recall item, akin to rary's mem enhancer.

Pretty much different animals, and the price formula is for the spell adder, not recaller, although I agree that prices are guestimates. I like to make my guestimates as accurate as I can, however. I use very few standard magic items.