PDA

View Full Version : The Grim (Race, PEACH)

Grimsage Matt
2012-07-23, 10:12 PM
Fluff to come.

Personality; They're freindly. But insane. Well, it's more like a combined physical addiction coubled with Asperger's. You know how your brain produces chemicals when it's in a exitied state? Such as intense physical activity or mental activity? Ya, they're addicted to those chemicals, and whats more? They rarely see the long term effects of their inventions. Which can range from merely wierd, to a universe destroying bomb the size of a atom.

Physical Description: They used to be human. Years of mutations and radiation has changed them enough to be considered a seperate race. They tend to be pale, but thats mostly because they don't get out much.

Relations: The first time people met them? They droped from the sky in a fancy space to air ship and said, "Take us to your leader!" Most peoples opinion is this; If we leave them alone, they'll probobly blow themselves up.

Alignment: They tend towards True neutral. Dispite their ofter chaotic mindset, they hold to a strange and strict set of codes, that differs slightly from Grim to Grim, but acts as enough of a stabilzing force.

Lands:They live in space. More accuralty, they'll build bases on various moons. These days, their happier in orbit then planet side.

Religion: Strangly enough, they worship the Deadric Lords.

Language: Intresting, in that english is inditical to common. They also speak Grimkoln, their arcane techospeech.

Adventurers: They adventure because it might stave off boredom. and want to test that new device?

Racial Traits;

-2 Str, -2 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Int, -2 Wis. The Grim are tough and smart, but a few hundred generations living in space has effected their physical strength, and their fine motor skills. And everyone knows theirs nuts, and erratic.

Knowledge Is Power(EX); All the Grim have at least basic technological training. At character Creation, you gain Innovation points equal to your Int mod and 1 Vocation you qualify for. If you take levels in Engineer, your Int mod counts twice for detreiming how many innovation points you have.

Already Insane(EX); The Grim are more then a little nutty. As such, they have Insanity Resistence equal to twice their HD (If they would take sanity damage, they take the indicated amount less). If the sanity rules are not being used, they gain a +4 racial bonus to saves against mind affecting effects for every 10 HD.

Harsh Enviroments(EX); The Grim are used to harsh enviroments. More cold then not, but eh. They gain Cold Resistence equal to their HD, and a +4 Racial bonus on checks against enviromental hazards.

Addiction(EX); The Grim all have a addiction to high mental activity. Also called, they need to keep their minds stimulated. In order to stave off Boredom, each day they must make a very Hard Knowledge or craft check. If they suceed, Boredom is staved off for another day. If they fail by 4 or less, they make the withdrawal check with a +2 bonus. If they fail by 5 or more, they don't recive a bonus. If they never made the check, they get a -15 penalty to the check. This is the highest type of addiction, and cannot be removed or changed. Even polymorph, Wish or Miricle (And mind Rape), can't remove it. It's a integral part of the Grim.

Not used to Heat(EX); The Grim deal better with extreme cold then they do heat. They always treat the enviroment as 2 steps warmer for any negative purpose. They also take +50% extra damage from fire.

Socialy Strange(EX); The Grim are very strange. Blunt as heck, there only thing less subtle then them is a shark to the face. They take a -4 racial penalty on Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate and Sense Motive Checks, with non-Grim.

Vat Born(EX); Considering how long lived the Grim are (Practicly immortal), you'd wonder why there are so few of them. They're all sterile. They cannot reproduce naturally, instead realying on reproductive cloning.

Favoured Class;Xenoalchemist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205119) Or Engineer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114229)

Hieght/Wieght; As Human.

{table]Age|Young Adult|Adult|Middle Age |Old |Vunrable|Maximum age
Year| 2|8|100,000,000|500,000*15^11|100,000,000,000*99^9 9|N/A[/table]

The Grim grow up very fast, become full adults, physically and mentally by the human age of 8. However, that is where it stops. The Grims Technology prevents physical deteration past that point. They never gain the benifits of aging, nor the penalties. Attacks that would age them instead do 1 Con damage per decade of aging. However, they do keep track.

Grimsage Matt
2012-07-24, 09:34 AM
Open for Peaching. A bunch of Crazy space humans, that either mutate into powerful things, or graft anything to something else:smallbiggrin:

Zaydos
2012-07-24, 10:51 AM
Has done Knowledge is Power function. You say it's applied to skill checks instead of monsters, this means it needs a new table for what skill is associated with each knowledge skill, or else did you mean it applied to opposed skill checks instead of attack and damage?

As for the rest, I dislike mental ability bumps without Con penalties to balance them out, but with a net -2 it probably is balanced.

The cold resistance I might make immunity at 20th and will note that many environmental hazards are Con checks which normally do not improve much with level and a +20 on those is in many cases immunity.

The Insanity Resistance I can't comment on as I am unfamiliar with san rules having never used them or even read them too thoroughly.

Grimsage Matt
2012-07-24, 05:31 PM
Will be changing Knowledge is Power. "If a class feature requires you make a skill check, you gain a +2 bonus on that check. This does not inculde Truenaming checks or Concentration checks for Spell or Powers."

Making Cold Resist =1 1/2 HD. They're used to cold tempatures, but if it's cold enough.... and giving them a flat +4 bonus on checks against enviromenral hazards?

Insanity rules is a varient found in UA. If you see something very bad/Wierd, your mind does not cope very well. And you can go permently insane. The Grim on the other hand? They're kinda nuts anyway. They have shielding.

Grimsage Matt
2012-07-25, 03:03 PM
Changed the Cold reist agian. Now it's equal to HD. They're resistant, but they can be affected if it's cold enough.

Also, added these;

Addiction(EX); The Grim all have a addiction to high mental activity. Also called, they need to keep their minds stimulated. In order to stave off Boredom, each day they must make a very Hard Knowledge or craft check. If they suceed, Boredom is staved off for another day. If they fail by 4 or less, they make the withdrawal check with a +2 bonus. If they fail by 5 or more, they don't recive a bonus. If they never made the check, they get a -15 penalty to the check. This is the highest type of addiction, and cannot be removed or changed. Even polymorph, Wish or Miricle (And mind Rape), can't remove it. It's a integral part of the Grim.

Not used to Heat(EX); The Grim deal better with extreme cold then they do heat. They always treat the enviroment as 2 steps warmer for any negative purpose. They also take +50% extra damage from fire.

Socialy Strange(EX); The Grim are very strange. Blunt as heck, there only thing less subtle then them is a shark to the face. They take a -4 racial penalty on Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate and Sense Motive Checks, with non-Grim.

Welknair
2012-07-25, 08:32 PM
This does not inculde Truenaming checks or Concentration checks for Spell or Powers.

May I suggest adding Maneuvers to the list of things it doesn't give a Concentration bonus to? Diamond Mind would love that +2.

Grimsage Matt
2012-07-25, 09:30 PM
will do. Not that fammiliar with ToB, so thanks for pointing that one out.

Also, anyone have anything to say about 'em? I would like it savaely reviewed.

Edit; Wait, edited so they get a Free Vocation from the Engineer class. Kinda a little something, that shows that they have techno know-how.

Grimsage Matt
2012-07-25, 10:28 PM
As I suck Pug at Tables.... Heres the Grim Paragon! Theres going to be more then one:smallbiggrin: Also, will be going the Grim as a monster class sometime. Hey, why not:smallbiggrin:

You start by doing 3 levels of "Jarl" or manager. Increases inovation, and you can get Xenoalchemy.

Then is "Sage" or a regional head. Some extra Vocations, a bit more Xenoalcemy, and your insanity is more controlable.

Finally, there is "Thane". At the moment, this is NPC only. Or, if your playing a Epic Game. Will have some nice perks.

Will just do the basics, will fill in Skills later.

Grim Paragon (Jarl)

HD; D6

Skill points; 6+int mod.

{table]Lv|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Inovation|Graft level
1 |+0 |+2|+0|+2|Adaptation|2|-
2 |+1 |+3 +0 |+3|Rad Resist, Vocation|4|1
3 |+2 |+3|+1|+3|Abillity Increase(Int+2)|6|1[/table]

Adaptation(EX); The Grim can adpat to almost anywhere. However, by adptation, they mean, "You call that a bite you overgrown lizard!" They gain DR/- equal to 1+1/3 their HD.

Rad Resist(EX); The Grim have great Immune systems. As such, they can more easily overcome natural poisons and disease. They gain a +2 Bonus on saving throws against Mundane poisons and diseases. At 10HD, this increases to +8. At 20 HD, it becomes immunity.

Vocation; The Jarl may select any normal Engineer Vocation they meet the prequistes for, or a special Grim Vocation.

Innovation; These are added to the Grims pool of Inovation Points.

Grafts; A Grim Jarl may apply Grafts, as a Xenoalchemist of 1st level.

Grim Paragon (Sage)

HD; d6

Skill points; 6+int mod.

Prequisites; 3 levels of Grim Paragon(Jarl), 8 Ranks in any 2 knowledge skills, Knowledge Devotion.

{table]LV|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Inovation|Graft level
1|+0|+2|+0|+2|Grim Research, Control|3|1
2|+1|+3|+0|+3|Improved Knowledge Devotion|6|2
3|+2|+3|+1|+3|Vocation|9|2[/table]

Vocation; The Jarl may select any normal Engineer Vocation they meet the prequistes for, or a special Grim Vocation.

Grafts; A Grim Sage may apply Grafts, as a Xenoalchemist of 5th level.

Grim Research; The Grim Sages have learned much, and little is beyond them. Kinda. They gain a Racial bonus to Knowledge Checks equal to 1/2 their HD.

Control; The Sages have learned how to better control themselves. They gain a +4 bonus on checks to resist the effects of addictions.

Improved Knowledge Devotion; The Grim are very good at figuring out weak spots. The bonuses from knowledge Devotion increase by 2.

Grim Paragon (Thane)

HD; D6

Skill points; 6+int mod.

Prequistes; 3 levels of Grim Paragon(Sage), any three knowledge skills 25 ranks, at least 3 Vocations, able to graft at least 2nd level grafts, Epic Leadership.

{table]LV|BAB|Saves|Special|Inovation|Graft level
1|+1|+0|Grim Arsenal, Biological might|10|3rd
2|+1|+1|Knowledge Defense, Vocation|20|3rd
3|+2|+0|Vocation, Zerg Biology|30|4th[/table]

Grafts; A Grim Thane may apply Grafts, as a Xenoalchemist of 15th level.

Grim Arsenal; A Grim Thane knows a lot. So much, that it's almost scary. The Bonus from Knowledge Devotion increases by 4. They also may make a Knowledge Check of the approitate type instead of a attack roll, or in place of a set DC (If your Fire ball has a save DC of 28? Make a skill check for the Save Dc instead!)

Biological Might; The Grim Thane has finaly managed to oversome the physical weaknesses of the Grim. They gain +4 to Str and Dex, and +2 to Con.

Knowledge Defence; Once per round per 5 HD, the Grim Thane can make a knowledge check of the approiate type instead of a Saving throw, or in place of their AC. This abillity cannot be used while flatfooted, or when they lose their dexterity bonus to AC.

Zerg Biology; The Grim who mange to hit this level? They're tough. They're DR increases to 5+1/2 HD, and they gain Regeneration 10. The regeneration is overcome by Force effects and Lawful.

Grim Vocations (Coming soon to a insane workshop near you!)

Erik Vale
2012-12-19, 10:50 PM
I would be more inclined to believe they had a weakened immune system due to living in space, and I'm surprised they don't have an Int bonus.

Also, given they normally live on moons, they should probably have less strength due to the radically decreased weights. Think 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress', when people who have been on the moon their whole life come to Earth.
Actually, scrap the con reduction, thats purely on a grub by group basis.

Grimsage Matt
2012-12-19, 11:17 PM
I would be more inclined to believe they had a weakened immune system due to living in space, and I'm surprised they don't have an Int bonus.

Also, given they normally live on moons, they should probably have less strength due to the radically decreased weights. Think 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress', when people who have been on the moon their whole life come to Earth.
Actually, scrap the con reduction, thats purely on a grub by group basis.

The base race. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13605919&postcount=1) They have a three step paragon path, that could end's in the epic levels. It's also partialy due to genetic engineering.

Deepbluediver
2012-12-21, 09:41 AM
What system is this for?

The mechanical stuff seems a little odd, but nothing gamebreaking that I've noticed so far. I have a few fluff questions but I'll wait until I hear back on what setting this is supposed to fit into.

Also, the proper spelling is ASPERGER (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome) syndrome. I don't know if you are trying to be funny or just made a mistake, but either way I don't think it sets the right tone.

Grimsage Matt
2012-12-21, 11:28 AM
It's ment for D&D 3.5.

And the fluff/why I'm going to put it is the old "Entire Race of Mad Scientists" trope. The already insane's sanity resistence is ment to work with the sanity variant rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/sanity.htm).

The Engineer and Xenoalchemist are homebrew classes on this forum, and they were the best "No Magic Science" classes I could find at the time.

As for aging, should put in that they gain no benifits or penaltys for aging, it's just a social thing.

And ya, the spelling was a mistake:smallredface: Fixed it.