PDA

View Full Version : Mind reading ?!?!?

silverwolfer
2012-07-23, 10:30 PM
I have a real hankering to play some mind reading, but not being full caster specced.

Mindspy from complete warrior seems a lil weak, any other prc or methods to enhance such roleplay?

azulanaga
2012-07-23, 10:30 PM
cabinet trickster- races of eberron

eggs
2012-07-23, 10:49 PM
Ebon Saint (CPsi) doesn't do much for combat ability, but it's not going to cripple a psi-gish, and it comes with some pretty amazing mind-reading (no-save swift read thoughts and mental interrogations, on top of other utility functions).

EDIT:
Going back to check, apparently Read Thoughts still has a save based on character level, but the interrogation has no save. But it's still one of best mind-reading powers for anything other than a full caster.

silverwolfer
2012-07-23, 10:55 PM
hate changlings lol but ty

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-23, 11:58 PM
If you don't mind eating a bit of LA and a few racial HD, you could be a doppleganger (whatever-you-like.) Read thoughts at will, ftw.

Though with your distaste for changelings, (why :smallconfused:) this may not be the best option.

Bloodgruve
2012-07-24, 08:55 AM
A 1 lvl dip in Mindbender gives you telepathy and the ability to get Mindsight which is not really mind reading but its getting closer. Look at psionics too, there's Telepath, Ardent and a PRC from Complete Adventurer which escapes me right now. Detect Thoughts is a good one for mind reading if you have a bit of time to work with it.

Blood~

Psyren
2012-07-24, 10:47 AM
Eggs is right - Ebon Saint's mind-reading is pretty ridiculous. I discuss it briefly in my Psychic Rogue handbook (see my sig.)

Concerning Read Thoughts etc. - ToM has a sidebar going into more detail as far as what constitutes "surface thoughts."

Reading a creature's surface thoughts reveals not only the immediate thought in its mind, but also some general information that it might know. If the target fails its saving throw, the mind reader should learn a brief description of its emotional state in broad terms, such as "bored and hungry," "nervous and alert," "angry and plotting," skeptical and cautious," and so on. The mind reader can also determine the target's awareness of other allies and enemies in the vicinity.

For a mind-reading rogue-type this is invaluable information. (Hmm, I should add it to my handbook...)

Diovid
2012-07-24, 11:02 AM
Find a way to boost Sense Motive really high (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#detectSurfaceThoughts)?

Feralventas
2012-07-24, 01:21 PM
Psibond Agent from Complete Scoundrel.

Need
1d6 sneak attack.
8 ranks Gather Information.
4 ranks sense motive.
3 languages known.
At least 1 power point reserve.

If you'd rather not go full 'caster, a dip in Telepath combined with Rogue, or maybe just plain Psychic Rogue should get you on the right path.

10 levels of minor sneak attack (+3d6 at 9th) along with the ability to operate through proxies via psionics.
1st level, forced link. Psi-bonded target makes a will save or allows you access to one of its senses.
2nd, Psibond (Nudge) minor suggestion or idea to your psi-bonded target.
4th level, Psibond (empathy) detect surface emotions of your psibond as a free action, +2 to BLuff, Diplomacy, Intimidate and Sense Motive vs the target as long as you're bonded.
6th, suggestion as a swift action as the spell (DC 13+cha mod) to your psibond.
8th level, false sensory input to your psibond.
10th level, Dominate (as Dominate Monster) DC 19+cha mod.

At 5th level, your psi-bond lasts 1 round after you cease connection, and you can resume concentration on it the next round without having to re-establish it.
At 7th level you can bond two targets.

Establishing a Psibond must be done on a target within 100ft and within LoS, but once established it remains in place as long as you concentrate as long as the target is on the same plane. The save to resist is 10+Psibond Agent level + Cha mod.

So, you gain Sneak Attack, lots of info-gathering and interaction skills, and the ability to spy through proxies without ever actually needing to set foot in the place you're scouting out. Combining with Leadership might be pretty nifty, between Charisma focus of the PrC and the potential number of spies you can operate through for each project. It's not a very Powerful class, but if you can work your Niche it should be viable. Ability Focus (Psibond) is suggested IMO.

Bloodgruve
2012-07-24, 03:09 PM
Find a way to boost Sense Motive really high (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#detectSurfaceThoughts)?

How does one achieve this?

Blood~

Ravens_cry
2012-07-24, 03:17 PM
How does one achieve this?

Blood~
First make sure your DM is OK with you using epic skill uses.