PDA

View Full Version : Dwaer Depths [OOC]

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

King Tius
2012-07-23, 10:39 PM
Dwaer Depths OOC Thread
IC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13606231#post13606231)
Original Recruitment Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249947)
Dwaer Depths Wiki Page (http://dwaerdepths.wikispaces.com/)

Greetings one and all! Welcome to Dwaer Depths!

The Party:
{table=head]Player|Character|Class|Race|Concept
mshady|Toland Albright (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=364943)|Paladin|Human|
Gorgon_Heap|Jalaera Winterwind (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=424624)|Ranger|Arctic Elf|Polearm (Partisan)
RaggedAngel|Demos (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=424190)|Gunslinger|Human|Pis tolero
Goldfly|Michiko Shizuka (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=424533)|Sorcerer|Kitsune|
Zoobity|Byron Cailean (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=487032)|Cleric|Human|Liberat ion/Good
[/table]

Gone But Not Forgotten:
{table=head]Player|Character|Class|Race|Fate
Zefir|Lyrie (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=425036)|Rogue|Kitsune|Impale d in the Bell Room (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13928547&postcount=258)
Calenestel|Susannah Pitt (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=434811)|Oracle|Human|Wandere d Off
CockroachTeaParty|Blackbeak (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=443085)|Rogue|Tengu|Wandered Off
[/table]

Recruitment Parameters

System: Pathfinder

Campaign Setting: Homebrew (See Below. To be expanded as needed)

Starting Level: 1

Stat Generation: 25 point buy

Wealth: Max starting gold

Hit Points: Max to start, average after

Races: Core. All others ask first

Traits: 2 (from different types)

Background: A decent description of the character and why they ended up at Echo Bend.

Acceptable Material: www.d20pfsrd.com – published sources only

Homebrew: NO

Sheets: Myth-Weavers only

Approved Players: mshady, zefir, raggedangel, gorgon_heap

A quick intro about Echo Bend...There is only one place to begin the telling of this tale: the mountains. Known by many tongues to many peoples, stretching across endless miles of ancient lands, they stand as timeless sentinels to the turbulent lands below. In these later, darker times they are most often called the Arrow Mountains, for were you to view them from the heavens, you would see that they run arrow-straight from their tapered point in the uncharted East to their flared end in the West, their fletchings forming a dense cluster of peaks that have yet to see the footprints of mortal ilk. The Arrow peaks are sharp and capped in white, a column of arrowheads that cuts the world in twain.

Among these ancient crags lie a pair of mountains, brother and sister, that reach towards the sky with all their might. So great is their upward pull that their faces are nearly cliffs, almost unscalable to all but the most sure-footed mountain beasts. These two are known as the Pillars (East and West) and stretch so far abreast that to pass around them would take weeks. Fortunately for all those not born with wings, the Pillars are thus named not only for their stature, but also because between them lies a pass. While still treacherous and fraught with all the perils of mountain travel, this gap, the Pillar Pass, is the best route across the Arrows within two fortnights in either direction.

With this being the main vein of travel through the mountains (located just amid the Arrow’s shaft), it is not surprising that a city lies on either side of it. We shall turn our attention upon the southern city, known as Echo Bend. Located along the western banks of the Dagger River which springs from West Pillar, Echo Bend is the first place along the river where it is safe to dock boats. This bend in the river came to be known as Echo Bend due to its proximity to the sheer faces of the Pillars, off of which all manners of sounds will bounce (even from a great distance).

As the first place to launch a boat for the southern trade route, Echo Bend also serves as the last bastion of civilization for northbound caravans braving the pass. The city’s population swells with the seasons like the river beside it. During fair weather the city is teaming as the Great Road bustles with traffic to and from Cliffshade (Echo’s northern sister). As winter approaches the population dwindles as the pass becomes inhospitable. Many a caravan is left stranded in Echo Bend in late Septembyr* and the city’s population is full of travelers who decided to wait out the winter and never bothered to leave.

It is at this time, just as the last bold caravans are departing for Pillar Pass, that our story begins. The city boasts a large contingent of hunters, trackers, and guides, all ready to assist travelers across the pass for the right coin. Most of the town is human. The stout mountain men run a mine in West Pillar and the sounds of their quarry often come rumbling down on the city. For whatever reason, our adventurers have found themselves (stranded) in Echo Bend with signs of a harsh winter on the air.

King Tius
2012-07-23, 10:41 PM
Group Experience Tracking
XP values given "per person"

Stormscale House 1st Floor (20 Skeletons) - 450 XP

Bell Room Skeletons and Zombies + Solving the Puzzle - 500 XP

Helping the Statues in the Statue Room - 200 XP

Clearing out the Dwarven Tomb - 300 XP

Krenshar/Assassin Vine Ambush - 333 XP

----Enter Byron at 1300 XP (-483 XP from group total)----

Goblin Armory - 200 XP

Goblin Scorpion Wranglers - 300 XP

Successfully Rescuing Avant and Byron - 500 XP

Ankheg Ambush - 333 XP

Trollhounds and Young Troll - 567 XP

Saving Mother Bear - 100 XP

Trolls in the Library = 457 XP

Lifting the Troll Siege (without casualties) = 300 XP

Dealing with Dongle and the Dragon = 500 XP

Total XP = 5040 XP

Individual Experience Tracking
Jalaera = 600 XP for soloing the boar

Blackbeak = 100 XP for the foreman

King Tius
2012-07-23, 10:55 PM
Notable NPCs
Kiernan Sparklegem (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=426529)

King Tius
2012-07-23, 10:56 PM
Reserved for....other stuff

The Tomecaster

Coming Soon!

RaggedAngel
2012-07-24, 10:16 AM
Hello, everyone. I'm really looking forward to this game, and to Demos. I think he'll speak in a solid Navy. It harkens to his piratical heritage.

I will get a full backstory for him written at some point, but it's going to have to wait until after my work-cation, more likely than not.

EDIT- After reading the fluff of Echo Bend, I have to say that I'm impressed. The city makes sense in a realistic, economical way that fantasy locations often lack, and that additional realism really helps draw me into a story. I'm not sure if you wrote that or not, but I'm looking forward to this game all the more because of it.

King Tius
2012-07-24, 10:30 AM
I did write it. Glad you liked it! As an engineer, I firmly believe you can have a fantastical setting that is still realistic within the rules established by the genre. Nothing gets my goat more than watching a sci fi movie that ignores physics or a fantasy movie that makes the most illogical jumps just for the sake of being fantasy.

RaggedAngel
2012-07-24, 10:39 AM
I did write it. Glad you liked it! As an engineer, I firmly believe you can have a fantastical setting that is still realistic within the rules established by the genre. Nothing gets my goat more than watching a sci fi movie that ignores physics or a fantasy movie that makes the most illogical jumps just for the sake of being fantasy.
You're preaching to the Pastafarian choir here, man. Fantasy like, say, Eragon can be neat, but then little things like a major city in the middle of a mostly blank plain with no rivers near it or fifteen mile high mountains kill the immersion for me. It's one of the reasons I like authors like Jim Butcher so much; he actually puts the time and effort into his works to ensure that they're "accurate" and "realistic", at least in-world.

King Tius
2012-07-24, 10:52 AM
I ran 4e for a brief period of time in college (experimentation and all that) and there was a part in the Dungeonmaster's Guide that really struck me. It said something to the effect of:

"When building a dungeon, worry less about how realistic the dungeon is and more about how you can make it cooler. Instead of putting bedrolls for the kobolds to sleep in, put pits of acid to fight around."

While I get what they were going for, I think you can totally have both. A dungeon can make sense AND be fun/fantastic at the same time. I hope that you all will see my attempt at this in some of the dungeons I am sending your way.

Goldfly
2012-07-24, 11:04 AM
I ran 4e for a brief period of time in college (experimentation and all that) and there was a part in the Dungeonmaster's Guide that really struck me. It said something to the effect of:

"When building a dungeon, worry less about how realistic the dungeon is and more about how you can make it cooler. Instead of putting bedrolls for the kobolds to sleep in, put pits of acid to fight around."

While I get what they were going for, I think you can totally have both. A dungeon can make sense AND be fun/fantastic at the same time. I hope that you all will see my attempt at this in some of the dungeons I am sending your way.

That's what I like to see in a DM. Can't wait!

Gorgon_Heap
2012-07-24, 11:44 AM
Just checking in.

Doing a color check.

HURM. That blue isn't easy enough to see, so I reckon I'll go with the purple.

Zefir
2012-07-24, 04:51 PM
I like the color Red, which should fit best

RaggedAngel
2012-07-24, 09:42 PM
Well, I fixed up all my money; thank the gods for the Gunsmith feat, which lets me craft all my own ammunition. Without it, I wouldn't be able to afford to kill anything. :smallredface:

Demos, Pistolero (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=424190)
Male True Neutral Human Gunslinger (Pistolero), Level 1, Init +6, HP 11/11, Speed 30ft.
AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14, Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +3, Base Attack Bonus 1
Double-Barrel Pistol (2) +5 (1d8, x4)
Shortsword +1 (1d6, 19-20/x2)
Dagger +1 or +5 (1d4, 19-20/x2)
Studded Leather, Buckler (+3 Armor, +1 Shield, +4 Dex)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 18, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 10
Condition None

Zefir
2012-07-25, 04:24 PM
And there I noticed that I haven't got any weapon good against skeleton.
Would you mind if I steal a mace from one of the guards Tius?:smalltongue:

King Tius
2012-07-25, 04:26 PM
You shouldn't ask me, you should ask one of the guards! :smallsmile:

EDIT: Also, your character needs a Knowledge roll to know they need a bashing weapon against skeletons (unless another character tells you)

Zefir
2012-07-25, 05:04 PM
In that case I don't need to since I don't know what kind of Knowledge roll I must take (I assume dungeon or Religion)

mshady
2012-07-25, 05:07 PM
How does it work with skills for a character in pathfinder? What do you get for starting? I forget :)

Zefir
2012-07-25, 05:12 PM
Depends on class. 2+Int modifire for a paladin

King Tius
2012-07-25, 05:15 PM
Religion, Aracana, Dungeoneering, or even Nature will get you that kind of knowledge.

As Zefir said, you get 2 + int modifier at first level. Being human gives you +1 and at each level, if you take a level in your Favored Class (your choice) you can get another +1 skill point or +1 HP each level. There are alternate racial options for some classes. The first time you put a skill point in a Class Skill, you add a +3 Misc bonus to the skill to keep you on par with 3.5 skill points. Cross class skills do not cost 2 points anymore.

Goldfly
2012-07-25, 05:19 PM
And Human Paladins get +1 Energy Resistance as their Favoured Class bonus.

King Tius
2012-07-25, 05:38 PM
I am going to wait for everyone (especially Toland) to post before we actually enter the house, just so I don't cut anybody off.

You guys are doing great so far! Keep in mind, you don't even know each other's names yet, but hey, the adrenaline is pumping! We can do names when the bad guys are dead!

Gorgon_Heap
2012-07-25, 05:50 PM
I agree, except ...

You know, they are. :smallbiggrin:

Goldfly
2012-07-25, 06:33 PM
Almost forgot:
Knowledge: Religion
[roll0]

King Tius
2012-07-25, 06:48 PM
Did a little research. According to the chart at the bottom of THIS (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/knowledge)page, only Knowledge(Religion) works for undead. You'll need a roll of 10 or higher to know that they are resistant to piercing/slashing and immune to cold, as well as the other usual stuff.

@Gorgon_Heap: :smallbiggrin:

RaggedAngel
2012-07-25, 07:27 PM
To clarify, Demos is not trying to boss everyone around; he's attempting to force order on a very chaotic and potentially dangerous situation. He is not a "face" kind of person, and his charisma is nothing special; at the same time, however, he is bright and very perceptive, and he's not a stranger to conflict. Or at least, as much as one can say that at level 1.

King Tius
2012-07-26, 04:25 PM
Busy day at work... going to try and get the house started but it might have to wait until the airport on Saturday.

RaggedAngel
2012-07-26, 06:14 PM
Busy day at work... going to try and get the house started but it might have to wait until the airport on Saturday.

Not a problem, King T. I'm looking forward to blasting in some skeleton skulls. :smallsmile:

Goldfly
2012-07-26, 07:09 PM
And I'm looking forward to putting them to Sle- wait, no.

Looking forward them to shooting them int- no, that won't work either.

Shocking them to dea- life?

Looking forward to defeating them. *nods sagely*

King Tius
2012-07-29, 10:10 PM
Hey folks. Home from my business trip, safe and sound. Just took the wife to see Dark Knight Rises. Plan to get back into posting and such tomorrow. Hope everyone had a good weekend!

RaggedAngel
2012-07-30, 09:05 AM
Hey folks. Home from my business trip, safe and sound. Just took the wife to see Dark Knight Rises. Plan to get back into posting and such tomorrow. Hope everyone had a good weekend!

I loved that movie, but since you're our DM, I'm just praying that you haven't gotten any ideas. :smallwink:

mshady
2012-07-30, 10:27 PM
How does that Paladin energy resist thing work, anyways?

Zefir
2012-07-31, 05:39 AM
Eh that depends where did you get it?

I just know that it increase the saving throws against the energy but don't think it's that accurate.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-07-31, 06:43 PM
Looks to me like it adds to the Paladin's energy resistance (whichever choice) though I have no idea why a human would have such to begin with and how to calculate the total are beyond me.

Goldfly
2012-07-31, 06:54 PM
How does that Paladin energy resist thing work, anyways?

I can only assume that it actually gives you Energy Resistance- pick an energy type, and you have one point of resistance in it.

King Tius
2012-07-31, 07:02 PM
You assume correctly. Each time you level you can gain Energy Resist 1 for one type of energy. They stack.

King Tius
2012-08-01, 08:10 PM
@RaggedAngel: Yes, I believe it would work on skeletons since it doesn't say it doesn't.

RaggedAngel
2012-08-01, 09:19 PM
@RaggedAngel: Yes, I believe it would work on skeletons since it doesn't say it doesn't.

Pimpin'. I felt that it should, since the ability describes it as taking focused aim before firing (and drawing on your Grit to do it), but since it's technically 'precision' damage there's some leeway in whether it's legit or not.

Huzzah, you went for the awesome decision. :smallbiggrin:

King Tius
2012-08-01, 09:45 PM
Pimpin' ain't easy, and neither is precision damage. If a rogue can sneak attack a skeleton now, I'd say you could hit it in a crucial spot with a bullet.

Zefir
2012-08-02, 02:24 AM
The only fact is that a skeleton that may have damage reduction against precision reduce it even if the bullet isn't that dmg. Thats why even sneak attack isn't really usefull unless I do alot of damage.

RaggedAngel
2012-08-02, 06:41 AM
The only fact is that a skeleton that may have damage reduction against precision reduce it even if the bullet isn't that dmg. Thats why even sneak attack isn't really usefull unless I do alot of damage.

Isn't precision damage typed the same as the weapon it's coming from? Bullets are bludgeoning and piercing, so he should be fine, right?

King Tius
2012-08-02, 07:41 AM
Here's what the SRD has to say about precision damage:

Precision Damage: Precision damage is a special type of damage, which might more appropriately be called a "category" of damage because any of the other damage types listed here might also be considered "precision" damage under the right circumstances. Precision damage is usually dealt by classes like the rogue when he is able to catch an opponent unable to fully protect itself. Precision damage assumes that the target has a somewhat normal anatomy or at least has a physical form which might have weak spots which could be detected or taken advantage of. Previous editions of the game (prior to the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game) limited what sorts of creatures are vulnerable to precision damage more than the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game does. This was a deliberate change to make a key class feature of classes like the rogue more frequently usable. Attacks which affect areas (such as splash weapons) usually do not deal precision damage.

RaggedAngel
2012-08-02, 07:44 AM
Here's what the SRD has to say about precision damage:

Okay, admittedly, I'm a bit more find of the Pathfinder rules in this case, if only because I happen to like precision damage.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-08-03, 06:30 AM
mshady, by the description you wrote in the IC thread, methinks you may have confused Jalaera with somebody else ...?

King Tius
2012-08-03, 07:17 AM
I would like to point out that Jalaera and Toland are tied for highest strength score in the party (14). *insert maniacal DM laugh here* From a strictly numbers point of view, she is much more likely to help move the table than Demos or the other ladies.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-08-03, 03:17 PM
You're pointing out we don't have a Tank. I know.

The plan with the table is a good one - but I'm ready with a shot lined up. I'd actually have to squeeze past S1 to help. You know what's light? A tablecloth. Anybody can just toss the tablecloth (it's a rich house - don't tell me there isn't one) over the skeletons and let's beat'em!

Or three people help with the table. Let's just get to doing something here.

King Tius
2012-08-03, 03:26 PM
@Goron: With the table push proposed I decided to hold off updating so y'all could talk about it. I didn't want to make any decisions for you guys. Toland can probably give the table a shove all by his lonesome. Unless you guys work something out before I get a chance to post, expect combat to start in the next 24 hours (might be getting drunk tonight, fingers crossed).

RaggedAngel
2012-08-03, 03:30 PM
@Goron: With the table push proposed I decided to hold off updating so y'all could talk about it. I didn't want to make any decisions for you guys. Toland can probably give the table a shove all by his lonesome. Unless you guys work something out before I get a chance to post, expect combat to start in the next 24 hours (might be getting drunk tonight, fingers crossed).

Did stuff, it's action time, let's rock.

The point is, I really want to shoot things.

EDIT- Also, yay, drunkenness. As an Irishlady, I hope your evening is one happy blur.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-08-03, 04:53 PM
Yeah, I totally need me some brews but my back's killing me so I've been told not to drive.

RaggedAngel
2012-08-03, 05:56 PM
Yeah, I totally need me some brews but my back's killing me so I've been told not to drive.

Is that an invitation to drive over to your place with alcohol? :smallwink:

It would only take around 20-22 solid hours of driving, probably.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-08-03, 06:18 PM

Yes.

And I'm OK with that if you are.

:smallbiggrin:

Goldfly
2012-08-03, 06:49 PM

Yes.

And I'm OK with that if you are.

:smallbiggrin:

Road trip? ROAD TRIP!

Goldfly
2012-08-03, 06:59 PM
Also: Screwed up that stealth something fierce.
[roll0]

Gorgon_Heap
2012-08-03, 07:43 PM
Road trip? ROAD TRIP!

Hahaha! Groovy.

Hmmmmm. Just realized the image link went bye-bye with the old thread.

Tius, if you want to link it in the NPC chart-thingy or something. http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g326/Gorgon_Heap/JalaeraWinterwind2.jpg

King Tius
2012-08-04, 09:58 PM
@RaggedAngel: My heart bleeds for you and your 9. I will promise that there are going to be a great many things to shoot in the upcoming weeks. Updated the combat posts is pretty easy for me, so I will try and turn them around once I have everyone's posts.

As a general rule. If 4 out of 5 of you have posted combat actions and it has been 48 hours since I've posted, I will update the new round.

RaggedAngel
2012-08-04, 10:57 PM
@RaggedAngel: My heart bleeds for you and your 9. I will promise that there are going to be a great many things to shoot in the upcoming weeks.

Angel quietly strokes her flintlock pistol, muttering to herself. "Yes, yes. Soon, my pretty. Soon."

Goldfly
2012-08-05, 12:28 AM
Looking back on my previous IC post, I realized just how tired I was. I meant to type F7, and somehow wound up with F3... Never again.

Zefir
2012-08-05, 05:21 AM
Well I just need to clear something befor I can post.
From my position I can't do anything and actually I haven't drawn any weapon. (Silly Isn't it?)
So can i do A 5 Foot step to G5 and hit the skeleton on B10 with the shortbow I need to draw first. I'm not sure if I have a line of dsight to it.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-08-05, 09:12 AM
Why don't you just use a move action to get to get in there and help move the table?

I'm just going to be standing there holding these skeletons in place for the foreseeable future, so please make it worthwhile by pinning them with that table, huh?

Zefir
2012-08-06, 02:00 AM
Hmm.. maybe cause my char doesn't has the greatest strength? Ok I got the 2nd highest strength of us all (+1), but that's still low.

After all i try to play my char and make actions that I could say are normal for her. I'm not that much experienced to say if i do it right or wrong, since the groupes I played in are really.. well other. If these things are really that wrong tell me.

King Tius
2012-08-06, 08:52 PM
Was planning on updating tonight but a friend had me over and showed me how to reload cartridges (bullets). I'll update tomorrow from work.

mshady
2012-08-07, 01:25 AM
Was planning on updating tonight but a friend had me over and showed me how to reload cartridges (bullets). I'll update tomorrow from work.

If he doesn't post the next day, we'll know why :)

RaggedAngel
2012-08-07, 08:56 AM

Demos approves, and recommends you pick up Rapid Reload to save yourself actions. :smallwink:

King Tius
2012-08-09, 07:22 AM
FOUR posts while I slept? It's like Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and the Underpants Gnomes all visited me on the same night! We'll let Goldfly chime in and then I'll update.

Zefir
2012-08-09, 01:56 PM
Here you go.^^

King Tius
2012-08-09, 03:33 PM
Don't know if I mentioned it before, but we will be using the "Fast" XP track. You'll need 1,300 XP to hit level 2.

RaggedAngel
2012-08-09, 04:20 PM
Don't know if I mentioned it before, but we will be using the "Fast" XP track. You'll need 1,300 XP to hit level 2.

That seems slower than 3.5. Do you get more XP per encounter in PF?

Zefir
2012-08-09, 04:27 PM
I#m not sure. I just know that someone told me in Pathffinder are fixed Ep for enemies so even if we are level 20 we get the same Xp from these skeletons.

RaggedAngel
2012-08-09, 05:05 PM
I#m not sure. I just know that someone told me in Pathffinder are fixed Ep for enemies so even if we are level 20 we get the same Xp from these skeletons.

That makes sense; I never understood why XP per encounter had to scale along with XP per level; it seemed like one of them was redundant.

King Tius
2012-08-09, 05:08 PM
The first level is offset by 300xp but you gain it faster with the restructured CR system. We'll be lvl2 in no time.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-08-09, 05:58 PM
[sigh] Now that just sounds needlessly complicated. So which is it? Fixed by critter or what?

King Tius
2012-08-09, 06:28 PM
A skeleton is worth 135 XP. Period. So, with six party members, you each get 22 xp per skeleton killed.

RaggedAngel
2012-08-09, 08:20 PM
A skeleton is worth 135 XP. Period. So, with six party members, you each get 22 xp per skeleton killed.

Line these suckers up, then. I haven't rolled better than an 8 and we're still crunching them, one by one.

Granted, there's a hell of a lot of them, and I have a sneaking suspicion that you're going to use up all of my ammunition, but still.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-08-09, 09:08 PM
As pointed out in the Pirates series, you can just reverse a pistol and use it as a club.

Win-win!! :smallcool:

RaggedAngel
2012-08-09, 10:14 PM
As pointed out in the Pirates series, you can just reverse a pistol and use it as a club.

Win-win!! :smallcool:

The Gunslinger gets that ability, but not until a later level. Until then it would just be an improvised weapon, which is less than optimal.

Zefir
2012-08-10, 12:52 AM
And wouldn't it destroy the weapon while using now? I mean there is this roll a 1 and it breaks thing.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/character-advancement
Here you see what we had to go through with medium or slow XP movement.

King Tius
2012-08-10, 03:40 PM
Two full rounds within 24 hours. Color me impressed!

As you can see from Zefir's link, once we get to level 4 the experience progression levels are identical to 3.5. No idea why they offset the first two levels by 300 XP, but we'll go with it.

Zefir
2012-08-10, 04:00 PM
Well from 6 up you need more EP IN DnD you need 6000 from 6 to 7 here you need 8000 and the next level costs 11000

King Tius
2012-08-14, 10:39 AM
Sorry I didn't update yesterday. I'm at the beach with my family and honestly thought it was still Sunday...

RaggedAngel
2012-08-14, 12:17 PM
Sorry I didn't update yesterday. I'm at the beach with my family and honestly thought it was still Sunday...

I've been moving back to college, man. My past three days are a blur of caffeine, flirting, tennis, science, and pizza.

King Tius
2012-08-14, 12:34 PM
Sweet. What are you studying? Also, what school (if you're comfortable saying)?

RaggedAngel
2012-08-14, 01:42 PM
Sweet. What are you studying? Also, what school (if you're comfortable saying)?

I'm a Chemical Engineering with a concentration in Nanoscience and minors in Materials Science Engineering and Physics. I go to North Carolina State University. (gasp, now you can track me down, oh noes) :smallsmile:

Gorgon_Heap
2012-08-14, 02:55 PM
Boy. And I'm only developing new millicochrane flow regulators for standard EPS conduits.

Zefir
2012-08-14, 03:52 PM
Gorgon to your action... why not making a 5 foot step to C7. (This action doesn't provoke AoO and you can still make a full action.

Also Lyrie will do simular since she can only deal damage with the sneak attack using Toland for flanking.^^

King Tius
2012-08-14, 03:58 PM
Nice. I studied Mechanical Engineering and am currently working at a software company that is made up almost exclusively of Chemical Engineers. If you are ever looking for a job and would be willing to move to Philadelphia, San Leandro (California), or Johnson City (Tennessee) let me know.

@Gorgon: that sounds...complicated.

mshady
2012-08-14, 08:25 PM
5 on 1? Thanks, guys!

Little help, here :)

RaggedAngel
2012-08-14, 09:11 PM
5 on 1? Thanks, guys!

Little help, here :)

Demos would help, but he's stuck with one kill a round until he can pick up TWF or Rapid Shot at level three. And right now, he's focusing on helping the gnome, who is in a far worse place than Toland. On the bright side, Toland has earned Demos' respect, which isn't the easiest thing to do.

King Tius
2012-08-14, 09:16 PM
Do we like the gnome? I am to make my NPCs fun AND useful. I've put his sheet in the starting OOC section. Feel free to have a look, but he isn't fully fleshes out.

mshady
2012-08-14, 10:31 PM
Could I rub his head for a luck bonus? I hear gnomes are good for that :)

I'm glad Toland is earning Demos' respect. I think the two of them would get along quite well, if both characters survive this.

IF I executed that last move right, it should mean one of those skeletons may not get an attack on Toland. Trying to get a little clever with the footwork.

King Tius
2012-08-14, 10:52 PM
That's a confirmed crit! Sd is toast.

You can rub his head if you can catch him.

Zefir
2012-08-15, 02:24 AM
Have I ever told you how I hate skeletons?

Gorgon_Heap
2012-08-15, 05:29 PM
Oh, Zefir, I didn't move to C7 because there's a wall there and I really didn't believe I could move diagonally between the wall and the skeleton.

King Tius
2012-08-15, 05:47 PM
Aha! Our first PC is down (but not out). I have some good news as well. A former player from the original Dwaer Depths game is back on the boards and wants back in. His character wouldn't fit so well with the group, so he's rolling up one that will match the group's comp a little better. While 6 is a little big, I'd rather have another great roleplayer in the group (who posts quite frequently) over keeping things small. I can always have Kiernan back off if things are feeling too crowded.

RaggedAngel
2012-08-15, 06:14 PM
Aha! Our first PC is down (but not out). I have some good news as well. A former player from the original Dwaer Depths game is back on the boards and wants back in. His character wouldn't fit so well with the group, so he's rolling up one that will match the group's comp a little better. While 6 is a little big, I'd rather have another great roleplayer in the group (who posts quite frequently) over keeping things small. I can always have Kiernan back off if things are feeling too crowded.

That sounds fine by me. I've been in larger games than 6 that have still worked nicely, given that everyone is polite and prompt.

mshady
2012-08-16, 01:56 AM
In Boston starting today and back Sunday. It's ok to leave Toland on the ground. Guess he should have turtles after all :)

King Tius
2012-08-19, 08:05 PM
What did Lyrie take for her favored class bonus?

Zefir
2012-08-20, 12:59 AM
The 1 Hitpoint. Otherwise I won't have the 1 Hp. 8+2+1

King Tius
2012-08-20, 09:02 PM
I'll be updating tomorrow. I can reasonably guess what the other two of you will be doing, but if you have a chance, post up!

RaggedAngel
2012-08-20, 11:43 PM
I'll be updating tomorrow. I can reasonably guess what the other two of you will be doing, but if you have a chance, post up!

Two of us will be bleeding on the floor, two of us will be attempting to break through DR, and Demos will be trying desperately to not run out of ammunition.

Sounds like a true level 1 fight to me. :smallwink:

Gorgon_Heap
2012-08-21, 10:43 AM
Things are nuts. i didn't think attacking with butt of my weapon without penalty was an option even there's no reason it shouldn'tt be (You know; rules) but if it works I'll be doing that and I think I can start plunging through these things.

At work again/still - I'll check in later.

King Tius
2012-08-21, 10:45 AM
Yeah I firmly believe you should be able to flip a spear around and use it as a quarterstaff, so feel free to do so with your partisan.

Zefir
2012-08-21, 11:50 AM
Think I don't need to post since I would only roll consti check.

King Tius
2012-08-21, 11:54 AM
Yeah you're fine, I was mostly talking to the still conscious PCs.

RaggedAngel
2012-08-21, 12:50 PM
Yeah I firmly believe you should be able to flip a spear around and use it as a quarterstaff, so feel free to do so with your partisan.

Huzzah! I love Jopustopin but we can never do fun things like this in his game. Yay for rule-bending logic! :smallbiggrin:

King Tius
2012-08-21, 12:51 PM
My goal is to pass us in XP soon. The way we're going now, that shouldn't be too hard....

RaggedAngel
2012-08-21, 12:52 PM
My goal is to pass us in XP soon. The way we're going now, that shouldn't be too hard....

That would be amusing, and I certainly wouldn't mind leveling up; one of the things I'm enjoying about the Gunslinger is the large number of options available at each level. It's really fun to get to use guns in D&D, even if we do happen to be playing PF. :smallwink:

King Tius
2012-08-21, 12:54 PM
I will say that you will all hit level 2 by the time you are done with this house.... Ok, got some meetings to go to but I'm going to try and get the post up this afternoon.

RaggedAngel
2012-08-21, 12:55 PM
I will say that you will all hit level 2 by the time you are done with this house.... Ok, got some meetings to go to but I'm going to try and get the post up this afternoon.

Let's see if I can manage to get through the place without completely running out of ammunition. :smallwink:

And will we hear an audible "DING" when we level up?

King Tius
2012-08-21, 12:59 PM
Ding and a glowing yellow light, of course.

Zefir
2012-08-21, 04:23 PM
Window? If I recall right the first four stand at the window. Then 45 came from bot, then 5 from top and then 6 from top if I calculated right.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-08-21, 09:51 PM
With the gnome out of the way, the ranger steps forward and beans Sf with the butt of her partisan, smashing it to pieces. If only she’d thought of that 8 rounds ago…

Oh, jeez! You know I actually mentioned the possibility of using the weapon for bludgeoning purposes in a PM weeks ago as we were still in creation.

Well, whatever. You let us make sense, so let's see what the deal is ...

[And yeah, I'm agreeing with Angel's earlier statement about how things work. Disregarding reach for allowing bludgeoning is cool.]

King Tius
2012-08-21, 09:54 PM
Did I say yes back then? I get lots of PMs since I help run combat in another game.

Zefir
2012-08-22, 02:17 AM
can't post until tonight. If needed Lyrie will follow.

For the weapon assume she put it in her bag until I'm able to post again.

King Tius
2012-08-22, 01:42 PM
I realize now that there may have been some confusion with names. Just as we might name our dogs Bull or our cats Tiger, people in fantasy worlds get to pick from mythical creatures for their pet names. Gorgon seemed like a cool dog name to me, but I realize now that not everyone has an encyclopedic knowledge of the Monster Manuals like I do. I owned the DnD 3.5 manuals for almost three years before I ever got to play. Needless to say, I read them cover to cover more than once.

A Gorgon

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8VS09OOd540/T-skEFFG9hI/AAAAAAAAA08/OUSvQknhA-Y/s1600/Gorgon_-_Sam_Wood.jpeg

Gorgon_Heap
2012-08-22, 02:10 PM
My confusion was, in that old IC post with the crying woman, I thought you misstyped and had mentioned my name for some reason.

I decided to ignore it and realized today when it seemed only this woman and dog were in the house that "Gorgon" was the dog's name, which is why it made no sense before.

I like it. I was satisfied to have pieced it together.

King Tius
2012-08-22, 02:21 PM
Now that we're on the point, do you mind telling us the story about your username?

Gorgon_Heap
2012-08-22, 02:28 PM
It's a character from the Vincent Price guest star episode of the Muppet Show in '76.

I've been using it as my screen name for everything interweb since ... um ... 2001?

You can Google it and watch the scene, I'm sure.

mshady
2012-08-23, 01:46 AM
Did I say yes back then? I get lots of PMs since I help run combat in another game.

...and thank you so much for doing that!

King Tius
2012-08-23, 07:56 AM
Absolutely dude. It's been a lot of fun. We should catch up now that the big dragon is dead.

Calenestel
2012-08-24, 12:44 AM
Hello, people.

As you might have guessed I'm the new addition. I saw my cue and jumped on it. :smallbiggrin:

As for my char. Characters native to Echo Bend might realize that she is Susannah Pitt, daughter of a not very successful tailor who seemed to be moving up in the world, betrothed to be married to a boy of the local aristocracy and all, thanks to good looks and charm. That was until a mysterious illness almost killed her and left her disfigured (the details vary with the gossiper). It did, however, also give her strange powers of healing and she has now retreated out to a cabin just outside the city where she plies the trade of a Wise Woman. She is never seen outside without a mask and gloves.

I'll edit in more if I think I should add anything. Time to get my eldest to school. :smallwink:

Gorgon_Heap
2012-08-24, 09:21 AM
Huhn. Fem-heavy party.

That sort of thing can only happen on PbP.

RaggedAngel
2012-08-24, 09:46 AM
Huhn. Fem-heavy party.

That sort of thing can only happen on PbP.

Girl heavy? I'm the only girl here, unless Zefir's of the better fairer gender.

Calenestel
2012-08-24, 10:10 AM
I think Gorgon was talking about the characters. And yes it is. It was taken into consideration when I made my char. But I decided against making a guy anyway. Maybe you'll see why later. :smalltongue:

King Tius
2012-08-24, 10:20 AM
I was tempted to have him switch genders but I'd rather have people play the characters they want. I think the party makeup is completely plausible, especially given the way the party has come together.

It is extremely likely that some of your characters are going to die in the next 20 levels. If one of the ladies die,you can always roll up a male character instead.

Calenestel
2012-08-24, 12:15 PM
Well, aside from characters dying you could always throw a cursed item at us. Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity comes to mind. :smallbiggrin:
Seriously, go for it. It'd be hillarious!

RaggedAngel
2012-08-24, 02:03 PM
Hm. That actually brings to mind an important question; how do you all feel about IC relationships? I'm in a game right now where several of the characters have gotten into relationships with each other, some of them physical as well as emotional; and it seems to make sense, when you consider that they're a bunch of generally bright, charming young people looking for solidity and comfort in a world that offers little of either. It may not be right for this group, or at least not this early in the game, but I still wanted to hear opinions on the matter.

King Tius
2012-08-24, 02:14 PM
As far as I know we're all adults here, right? Obviously nothing explicit (or that would violate GiTP policy) but I'm all for it.

Zefir
2012-08-24, 03:14 PM
I also don't think there is anything that will stop us. The only fact is if things like this come out.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-08-24, 04:20 PM
As far as I know we're all adults here, right?

NUH-UH!!!

Really, I'm all for it if it works. Anything to enhance the roleplaying experience. And PbP may not be so awkward since we're not all sitting in a room together.

I get crazy into things IRL games. I tend to method. Once while my character and another were discussing a recently-killed PC with whom mine had a relationship, I actually brought myself to tears in (and out) of character.

Goldfly
2012-08-24, 04:22 PM
Certainly don't have a problem with inter-party relationships here. I find they add something to the game that you really can't get otherwise.

mshady
2012-08-24, 11:23 PM
No problem here. It's all part of the RP.

Calenestel
2012-08-25, 12:10 AM
Agreed. I actually had another concept I worked on as well, one that had as one of her selling points that she would flirt shamelessly with Toland. But in the end Sannah just seemed more... fleshed out? deep? Well, anyway. I ended up with a character much less likely to develop a relationship with another PC (Which I must admit was to my wife's disappointment. :smallwink:)
But that doesn't mean that I object to others doing something like it. Quite the opposit. Enjoy yourselves. :smallbiggrin:

Zefir
2012-08-25, 04:54 AM
Calenestel a few things. First. Lyrie has no Kitsune sign. She has neither a fox tail nor the fox ears right now.

Also if your char is a cleric you won't need to use a CLW right now. After all clerics have channel positive energy which heals the whole groupe.

mshady
2012-08-25, 10:40 AM
Well, as much as your wife (and Toland) may be disappointed about not having the one who flirts with Toland, I don't think she'll be disappointed. Just something different, but also interesting.

mshady
2012-08-25, 10:50 AM
In regards to Toland's internal monologue being contradictory to what he may actually be saying, I am just trying to convey what he actually thinks on matters. Sort of a peak into the "inner snark" of a person that can't really be outwardly, to a degree. Obviously, he is not a vanilla do gooder, which is probably going to take him down some interesting alleys down the road. Outwardly though, he's just very nice and kind of a flirt.

Physical description btw, I would put him at 6'5 and about 250 lbs of muscle but otherwise looking a bit like Tim Tebow but better at his actual job.

Also, how would you feel about us generally claiming reasonable circumstance bonuses on rolls? Toland already has a +2 diplomacy v. Women/-1 v. Men from a trait but for example, having just cleaned out Mrs. Stormscale's house, would it be reasonable to claim a +2 or +4 circumstance bonus for doing so? Or just let you assign one if we make a good case? I'd probably recommend the later.

Calenestel
2012-08-25, 01:43 PM
Calenestel a few things. First. Lyrie has no Kitsune sign. She has neither a fox tail nor the fox ears right now.

Also if your char is a cleric you won't need to use a CLW right now. After all clerics have channel positive energy which heals the whole groupe.

Heh. Oups. When I read your character's bio I noticed it said your char had a tail. But I didn't consider the possibility that Kitsune might be, oh I dunno... shapeshifters. :smallbiggrin:
I really need to invest in that big book of new races. :smallamused:
Oh, well. I'll correct that in a bit.

Also. I'm not exactly a cleric, but you ARE correct about the channel thing. I'll keep that in mind to later. :smallwink:

Well, as much as your wife (and Toland) may be disappointed about not having the one who flirts with Toland, I don't think she'll be disappointed. Just something different, but also interesting.

Heh. We'll see what we'll see. And I'll keep my other idea of a char (more a "blind seer" than a healer) for later use. Maybe a collab? :smallsmile:

All right... we'll see what we'll see then. But I'll keep my other idea around for later use. Who knows. Maybe we could have a collab at a later date. :smallwink:

King Tius
2012-08-26, 07:57 PM
Busy weekend (bought a gun!). I'll update tomorrow.

RaggedAngel
2012-08-26, 08:13 PM
Busy weekend (bought a gun!). I'll update tomorrow.

What kind? Specs? I have a very unladylike fascination with guns.

King Tius
2012-08-26, 09:25 PM
Nothing unladylike about it! Bought a Ruger 10/22. Standard carbine with plans to add Tech Sights, replace the trigger, buy a better stock, and if I really have the funds, buy a fancy scope. Just got into the sport and wanted a basic long rifle for plinking. Are you armed?

RaggedAngel
2012-08-26, 09:33 PM
Nothing unladylike about it! Bought a Ruger 10/22. Standard carbine with plans to add Tech Sights, replace the trigger, buy a better stock, and if I really have the funds, buy a fancy scope. Just got into the sport and wanted a basic long rifle for plinking. Are you armed?

Gods, I wish. I did and do as much shooting as I could/can through Venture Scouts and friends, but my folks are very against guns, despite being incredibly Republican. As I am the bright young age of 19, in college, and not possessing of much personal wealth, I have yet to acquire my own firearm.

That said, the first gun I get is going to be a flintlock pistol. I do pirate reenactments with a stage combat troupe, and we get paid very well for easy work; and thanks to that, I can justify getting a period weapon for my costume. And if I happen to get one that can actually fire, who could blame me? :smallwink:

Calenestel
2012-08-27, 01:44 AM
That said, the first gun I get is going to be a flintlock pistol. I do pirate reenactments with a stage combat troupe, and we get paid very well for easy work; and thanks to that, I can justify getting a period weapon for my costume. And if I happen to get one that can actually fire, who could blame me? :smallwink:

The authorities might... oh... right. You're living in Amurrca, while I'm used to swedish gun rules. :smallsigh:
(Actually, I generally approve of a very strict gun policy. But it would be fun if I could get anything other than a hunting rifle when I have the moneys and I will be slightly jealous of you, Ragged, when you buy a flintlock pistol. I don't know how anyone would be able to get a working one (legally) here in Sweden.)

Also. I can understand weekends getting busy, no sweat. I'm waiting for Kiernan to answer before posting again. Just FYI. :smallwink:

Zefir
2012-08-27, 02:30 AM
Busy weekend here as well and my Pc broke. Also Germany and weapon rules... I don't want to go through the 23347537468268 pages I need to fill (Numbers can be lower in real or higher)

mshady
2012-08-27, 02:40 AM
Arm yourself with the guns of yesterday, to protect yourself today! Because nothing says "stopping power!" like a .50 cal mini ball!

{Scrubbed}

Gorgon_Heap
2012-08-27, 11:26 AM
I heavily considered buying a pistol for myself for hobby shooting when I was younger, but never had the money and was far too lazy to do the footwork.

While I still enjoy poppin' some caps at the range or wherever with friends, I simply lost any need toward owning my own. I just see no reason. And, you know, kids.

Of course, I was also in the service, and after firing M16s, SAWs and tossing live grenades and working around live artillery drills, personal weapons just seem a little quaint.

Zefir
2012-08-27, 01:44 PM
And I only have a bow and arrow in my house I'm good with to defend us... Americans weapon policy is so strange.

Other news my Pc asked me for a break, well more he broke and I brought him to a technican since I did all I knew to fix him.

Post will be up soon

King Tius
2012-08-27, 01:50 PM
Flintlocks are fun but I wouldn't want to keep black powder in my house. My grandfather actually bought a kit and made his on pistol. It wasn't too expensive, either. Catching up on the thread now. Mike, I know I have some PMs from you to get to. Those are next if work stays quiet.

King Tius
2012-08-28, 09:52 AM
Demos's gun being THAT old is a tad presumptuous but actually works really well with some things I have laid out for the story. STAY TUNED.

Goldfly
2012-08-28, 12:49 PM
Of course, I miss all the awesome roleplaying while my electricity's down. >.> Going to go post now.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-08-28, 01:50 PM
Much as I appreciate the attention, I wonder if one heated question and one surprised and prudish response really qualifies as "bickering."

I already said I'm off, so just say when and where Jalaera is.

Considering ...

I think in Jop's game Sojan and Oren arguing over Fix's bedtime story qualifies as bickering. Yes, that's it.

Zefir
2012-08-28, 03:06 PM
prudish? Not in any kind I can translate it. It's more a clearing of their roles neither of them is a leader so none stands over the other thats more or less what she wanted to tell her. The way could be not the best I know but prudish is totally different from what I thought I did.

And Lyrie was off as well.^^

Gorgon_Heap
2012-08-28, 05:15 PM
The way could be not the best I know but prudish is totally different from what I thought I did.

Because it's what I did.

Goldfly
2012-08-28, 07:56 PM
Much as I appreciate the attention, I wonder if one heated question and one surprised and prudish response really qualifies as "bickering."

I already said I'm off, so just say when and where Jalaera is.

Considering ...

I think in Jop's game Sojan and Oren arguing over Fix's bedtime story qualifies as bickering. Yes, that's it.

I agree. Michiko, however, just wants everyone to be friends, and I'm writing primarily from her point of view, so...

RaggedAngel
2012-08-28, 08:36 PM
Demos's gun being THAT old is a tad presumptuous but actually works really well with some things I have laid out for the story. STAY TUNED.

Are you kidding? It's astoundingly presumptuous, and I really should have talked to you about it before just throwing it in there. Like, oh, if I had actually held up my end of things and written a proper backstory. I really dropped the ball here, and I apologize.

That said, if you'll allow it, it's a detail that I would like to keep. I've become rather enamored with the character, and his ancestral weapon is extremely important to him.

King Tius
2012-08-28, 08:53 PM
The ancient gun is totally fine, but all you know about it is that it has been passed down for a while. It isn't necessarily going to become plot-critical, but I can definitely make "super old" work.

As to the talking/bickering discussion, I tend to stay out of inter-party stuff. You are all grownups. Murdering party members is fine, just stay in alignment.

RaggedAngel
2012-08-28, 08:57 PM
The ancient gun is totally fine, but all you know about it is that it has been passed down for a while. It isn't necessarily going to become plot-critical, but I can definitely make "super old" work.

As to the talking/bickering discussion, I tend to stay out of inter-party stuff. You are all grownups. Murdering party members is fine, just stay in alignment.

You know, Toland has some nice armor. Just saying. It's awfully nice, and Demos is really strapped for cash. :smallwink:

mshady
2012-08-28, 08:59 PM
From a historical point of view, "pre-dating our time" doesn't have to be that old. A couple hundred years would easily predate the current civilization.

I kind of liked it and Toland's willing to role with it. People don't just walk around with guns here. I figured it was something he would respect for more than its function.

RaggedAngel
2012-08-28, 09:03 PM
From a historical point of view, "pre-dating our time" doesn't have to be that old. A couple hundred years would easily predate the current civilization.

I kind of liked it and Toland's willing to role with it. People don't just walk around with guns here. I figured it was something he would respect for more than its function.

I see it like if someone you know had, say, a hidden blade (http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/30500000/Hidden-blade-mk-1-assassins-creed-30589826-460-332.jpg) like Ezio's. I've spoken to a lot of mechanical engineers, and none of us have any idea how to make something like that, especially the upgrades like a hookblade or with a poison-dart shooting crossbow. It's just something that shouldn't work, and that you've only heard vague stories about, and then someone's waving it around in your face and killing things with it.

mshady
2012-08-28, 09:03 PM
You know, Toland has some nice armor. Just saying. It's awfully nice, and Demos is really strapped for cash. :smallwink:

Speaking of alignment and murdering party members, can you roll a Detect Evil for Toland sometime?

Does anyone have a resistance to slashing I need to know about?

RaggedAngel
2012-08-28, 09:04 PM
Speaking of alignment and murdering party members, can you roll a Detect Evil for Toland sometime?

Does anyone have a resistance to slashing I need to know about?

Ha. Demos is True Neutral with Lawful tendencies. Nothing to worry about from him, unless the pay is really good.

King Tius
2012-08-28, 09:17 PM
Toland can Detect Evil (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin#TOC-Detect-Evil-Sp-) at-will, so just point your evil-sensing eyes at something and tell me you are using it. I'd recommend reading how it works (specifically for paladins) because it does have range and time limitations.

Calenestel
2012-08-29, 01:15 AM
Aaaand if Toland thinks about it there's now no way Sannah could be Evil. At worst she's a Neutral that has made the deliberate choice to channel positive energy (which is kind of in itself a Good choice). And two of her patron deities are Good, of course. :smallwink:

RaggedAngel
2012-08-29, 07:20 AM
I'll say again; Demos is very much not evil.

Not good, but also not evil.

Goldfly
2012-08-29, 08:42 AM
Michiko is Neutral Good with Chaotic tendencies.

Calenestel
2012-08-29, 09:21 AM
Well, if we're gonna compare. Susannah is, like me, NG with LG tendencies. :smallwink:

Zefir
2012-08-29, 02:56 PM
Well, eh I don't think that counts but I'm *lead shield*. See I don't think you mind^^.

RaggedAngel
2012-08-30, 11:11 PM
Tius, I just wanted to take a moment to say that this has been absolutely masterful storytelling and DMing on your part. This game is really excellent, and you deserve the lion's share of the credit. We have awesome players, to be sure, but I haven't been in many games as well run as this one. :smallsmile:

Calenestel
2012-08-30, 11:21 PM
Not my best IC post ever. Tired and not much to work with right now. But I didn't want to get quiet. It's always a bad idea in a PbP game.

King Tius
2012-08-31, 08:40 AM
Aww, thanks! As they say, this isn't my first rodeo. You guys are doing a great job on your end both with posting speeds and with the level of detail you're putting in. The fact that everyone seems pretty engaged in things drives me to churn out the best game possible.

If any of you start running games of your own (except for mshady, since I'm already in his) please let me know. I'm always looking for new games to join. Other than mshady's and jop's, every game I'm in has died out.

Zefir
2012-08-31, 10:18 AM
Well I ran two games before this started sadly my RotRL died due to player went away. He told me it isn't so havy RP. (People seem to think RotRL is heavy RP, but thats not true, only if the players go for RP otherwise things go straith forward)

The other game was slowed down by me since I fokused on my new job, now that I come bak it seems only 3 player remain. So unless the two missing answer until today I need at least 1 new player.^^

RaggedAngel
2012-08-31, 02:23 PM
The other game was slowed down by me since I fokused on my new job, now that I come bak it seems only 3 player remain. So unless the two missing answer until today I need at least 1 new player.^^

I am amused by this. K is a funny letter.

King Tius
2012-08-31, 03:46 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I am REALLY excited for you to go down the stairs. I've changed things up enough that mshady and Calenestel should still find it entertaining.

On that note, I've got the next map pretty much ready to go, so unless there is anything else you want to do in the basement I will have you descend. You'll be walking single file, so I'll need a marching order. Kiernan is easy like Sunday mornin' and will go wherever you'd like him (especially if it is between two ladies....).

Gorgon_Heap
2012-08-31, 04:56 PM
I think we've established Toland then Jalaera ...

mshady
2012-08-31, 06:27 PM
Yes, the order's Toland, than Jalaera. So she can appreciate his amazing arse! It's his sixth best feature.

Oh, sorry! This isn't Archer.

I think Toland will suggest altering the marching order and put the best scout first. He's about as observant as a park bench.

Calenestel
2012-09-01, 02:12 AM
I like the Spock-like tendencies of Sannah right now. That is all. :smallsmile:

King Tius
2012-09-01, 02:49 PM
Decisions to rest and things of that nature might take a long time to vote on every time. You guys might want to pick a party leader or work out some kind of system to speed those sorts of things up. I try to stay out of the party workings, but I need to know if one person says "let's rest" if that is enough to go on or not.

Calenestel
2012-09-01, 03:43 PM
I'd say that's a good idea. Either a clear leader or the healer. Which would be me. :smalltongue:

RaggedAngel
2012-09-01, 05:41 PM
Zefir, your latest IC post was a little unclear. Do you think you could rephrase your intentions here?

Goldfly
2012-09-01, 06:30 PM
Knowledge Religion, 'cause I screwed up the roll in the other thread: [roll0]

King Tius
2012-09-01, 06:51 PM
@Goldfly: You do not recognize anything of religious significance in the room.

@Zefir: I'm confused as well....mshady doesn't make any mention of Toland going after Lyrie. Where are you getting that?

Goldfly
2012-09-01, 07:38 PM
I think this might be what Zefir was referring to:

Toland
"Noticing small things like that are not my strength. I think it'd be safer if someone more observant, or an actual scout, went ahead to look for traps and things. I suspect its safe, as the skeletons would have triggered anything themselves, but we cannot be too safe. What about you?" Toland says, looking at Lyrie with a smile.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-09-01, 08:00 PM
Zefir's post(s) are tending on the confusing side but I appreciate the willingness to show the character blustering topside and chickening out in the face of actual pending danger.

Calenestel
2012-09-02, 01:26 AM
OK. Contingencies:

First round Susannah will heal Lyrie further if she asks for it. Otherwise she'll sling a bullet at the skeleton.

After that she'll
A) continue to use her sling until no skeletons are standing.
B) If someone takes too much damage she'll heal that person, but she'll try to avoid going into full-blown healbot-mode,
C) as soon as someone other than Tolland or Lyrie is hurt she'll use one charge of Channel Energy to heal the lot of them,
D) repeating healing with Channel Energy if two are badly hurt or three are slightly less badly injured (again still trying to avoid going into healbot-mod, but not taking TOO many chances) and
E) if three or more skeletons are standing at the same time, then she'll start using Channel Energy offensively.

I think I like Channel Energy. I'm going to take the Turn Undead feat later for the tactical advantage, though. :smallwink:

Edit: Before the battle starts Sannah has two 1st level spells and 5 charges of Channel Energy left. If this turns out to be a prolonged fight she'll need to rest before being of much use beyond stabilizing the fallen and making Heal checks. :smalltongue:

Zefir
2012-09-02, 02:51 AM
It's as goldfly said. I reacted to Toland seeing her as a trapfinder. She tries to avoid that throwing the elv in line. Elves have a bonus on perception so she should be better at what Toland asks for.

The other part then is about the click conected to the first part (asking fr a scout but then walking straith in)

Zefir
2012-09-04, 01:49 AM
Ah King I don't know where you looked at, but I have +6 for perception to find traps. 1 point +1 ability point+3 for class skill +1 for trapfinding. I looked over it right now and saw it is there.

Edit. Also Trapfinding allows me to find magic traps and to disable them if I'm not wrong. I haven't changed my sheet since we got the slings.

King Tius
2012-09-04, 07:24 AM
My mistake, I must have been looking at the wrong sheet. With Kiernan's help, you identify that the tiles are individually trapped. You can try and disarm them, but keep in mind that there are 25 tiles per square on the map.

Calenestel
2012-09-04, 07:50 AM
Wow. That's... up to 4225 traps! :smalleek:
Of course, beneath the bells might be safe, and the fences should rule out a few. But OTOH I haven't included the side passages in that.

Dwarves really doesn't build small, do they? Holy boop! :eek:

King Tius
2012-09-04, 07:55 AM
I would like to point out that if you fail the disarm you potentially trigger the trap itself. Also, for what it is worth, the number of skeletons you have fought down here have matched the number of bell tolls, not the number of clicks.

Calenestel
2012-09-04, 08:00 AM
So no taking 20, or even 10. I think we need another plan than disarming the traps. :smallwink:

King Tius
2012-09-04, 08:09 AM
From Paizo:

Taking 10 and Taking 20

A skill check represents an attempt to accomplish some goal, usually while under some sort of time pressure or distraction. Sometimes, though, a character can use a skill under more favorable conditions, increasing the odds of success.

Taking 10

When your character is not in immediate danger or distracted, you may choose to take 10. Instead of rolling 1d20 for the skill check, calculate your result as if you had rolled a 10. For many routine tasks, taking 10 makes them automatically successful. Distractions or threats (such as combat) make it impossible for a character to take 10. In most cases, taking 10 is purely a safety measure—you know (or expect) that an average roll will succeed but fear that a poor roll might fail, so you elect to settle for the average roll (a 10). Taking 10 is especially useful in situations where a particularly high roll wouldn't help.

Taking 20

When you have plenty of time, you are faced with no threats or distractions, and the skill being attempted carries no penalties for failure, you can take 20. In other words, if you a d20 roll enough times, eventually you will get a 20. Instead of rolling 1d20 for the skill check, just calculate your result as if you had rolled a 20.

Taking 20 means you are trying until you get it right, and it assumes that you fail many times before succeeding. Taking 20 takes 20 times as long as making a single check would take (usually 2 minutes for a skill that takes 1 round or less to perform).

Since taking 20 assumes that your character will fail many times before succeeding, your character would automatically incur any penalties for failure before he or she could complete the task (hence why it is generally not allowed with skills that carry such penalties). Common “take 20” skills include Disable Device (when used to open locks), Escape Artist, and Perception (when attempting to find traps).

So you can't take 20 on Disable Device for traps.

Calenestel
2012-09-04, 08:27 AM
Not that it matters, I'd say. But you'd allow taking ten for Disable Device? I don't think I've ever allowed it myself, but to each his/her own. :smallwink:

King Tius
2012-09-04, 08:41 AM
I wouldn't allow it. Besides, the minimum DC for a magical trap is 25, so it would be a while before taking 10 is even a viable option.

Calenestel
2012-09-04, 08:56 AM
At least paretly why I Said "not that it matters". :smallbiggrin:
Also: OK, good to know. Seemed a bit strange, tbh. My bad. :smallwink:

Zefir
2012-09-04, 11:05 AM
Well as far as I see it the clicks are not related to the skeletons meaning it may tell us the right way. The problem is can we make out which trigger the bell and which not?

King Tius
2012-09-04, 12:01 PM
The one tile that Lyrie was investigating did nothing the first time she touched it and clicked the second time. You haven't identified any that consistently do anything at this point.

King Tius
2012-09-04, 01:28 PM
With many aspects of my DMing (Post structure, initiative order, how I draw maps, etc), I have stolen these ideas from DMs I played under. Continuing this trend, I will once again be borrowing from mshady's style and creating a wiki for Dwaer Depths. As of right now it is little more than a series of page titles, but once I get things a little more fleshed out I think it'll be a great resource (and easier to use than the OOC thread).

I didn't realize changing the wiki title locks it for 30 days, so this won't be the final address, but you can stop in and take a look at http://dwaerdepthstest.wikispaces.com

Suggestions welcome!

Gorgon_Heap
2012-09-04, 02:16 PM
I'm not sure I get what a wiki space would do that you can't do here on the forums.

And why is it asking me to sing in?

King Tius
2012-09-04, 02:33 PM
Forgot to make it public. Try it now! I find editing posts on Giants to track information gets cumbersome once the post gets past a few paragraphs. Being able to create separate pages and such will be much easier on me. All the in-game tracking will still occur in the OOC, so fear not. The wiki will just be "bonus material" and will help bring new people into the game down the road.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-09-04, 03:37 PM
Okeedoke.

Hmmm. "plains" or "planes"?

HAH! The guard captain's name is Dremel? That's hilarious. I'm picturing a lame superhero Captain Dremel running around town with a suit weighed down with drill-bit attachments and spare battery packs. It's like something out of The Tick.

King Tius
2012-09-04, 03:39 PM
Whoops. I actually corrected that, thinking I had it wrong to begin with. /facepalm.

Zefir
2012-09-04, 04:01 PM
Funny. The whole wiki is in English, expect the second link on the left side. Letzte Änderungen.

mshady
2012-09-05, 01:49 AM
If anyone wants to see how a wiki can be useful to a campaign, check out the Heretic's Bane wiki in my signature. There is still a lot of work to be done on mine, but it really helps. Especially with a long campaign with a lot of backstory and developments. As a DM, its a pretty useful too to have around and helps out new players a lot too.

Zefir
2012-09-06, 12:23 PM
As you may note I'm out since King Tius asked me , too. So bye bye people.

Tius I would like if you let just leave my char out. I dislike it when people play with my chars.

King Tius
2012-09-06, 12:45 PM
I'll have her leave the group or die as soon as it is convenient.

King Tius
2012-09-06, 09:16 PM
I am rolling so many d4s my other dice are getting jealous.

RaggedAngel
2012-09-06, 10:37 PM
I am rolling so many d4s my other dice are getting jealous.

Should Demos pull out his gun?

(Note: he is actually going to pull out his gun if a skeleton gets inside melee range, and he'll use Up Close and Deadly on it. That's in my action plan.)

King Tius
2012-09-07, 12:45 PM
@Gorgon_Heap: there will be plenty of things to stab and track in the woods down the road. Hang tight!

Gorgon_Heap
2012-09-07, 01:25 PM
No doubt. Just wanted to let y'all know I'm here and paying attention even if I don't have anything to do.

King Tius
2012-09-07, 01:29 PM
Thanks for checking in. We are moving through this puzzle at a decent pace.

Also, I have a new player lined up to replace Lyrie when the time is right.

RaggedAngel
2012-09-07, 01:36 PM
Thanks for checking in. We are moving through this puzzle at a decent pace.

Also, I have a new player lined up to replace Lyrie when the time is right.

I like this puzzle. The solution is "shoot things until it breaks". I like that kind of solution.

Ragged smash good!

mshady
2012-09-10, 08:02 AM
I thought Toland was the Hulk? I could see a case for Ironman though :)

RaggedAngel
2012-09-10, 09:10 AM
I thought Toland was the Hulk? I could see a case for Ironman though :)

I can accept Ironman. Though I would look a little odd with his facial hair.

Calenestel
2012-09-10, 10:06 AM
Can't really peg Susannah, though. Don't really think any of the avengers really match. :smallwink:

mshady
2012-09-10, 12:21 PM
Oh I think Black Widow would be the best fit, by far, for you. I was thinking capt America as my best fit. MShady handle aside. King would be Ironman lol

King Tius
2012-09-10, 12:36 PM
I am a Mechanical Engineer, so I will happily take on the role of Tony Stark. On a more DnD related note, the Synthesist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/archetypes/paizo---summoner-archetypes/synthesist)is basically an Ironman Summoner.

Calenestel
2012-09-10, 01:07 PM
Black Widow? Really? Please explain, this could be interesting. :smallamused:

mshady
2012-09-10, 04:19 PM
I meant Ragged on that one lol

Calenestel
2012-09-10, 04:46 PM
Heh. Yeah, that makes much better sense. ;)
IC post tomorrow. Sleep now. :smallwink:

Goldfly
2012-09-12, 12:16 AM
You know, I'm regretting having chosen to go with Crossblooded Sorcerer. It's just not worth it...

RaggedAngel
2012-09-12, 12:36 AM
You know, I'm regretting having chosen to go with Crossblooded Sorcerer. It's just not worth it...

What does it do? I will admit, you seem to have done nothing but Jolt the whole time. Jolt is useful and all, but it's got to be boring.

Goldfly
2012-09-12, 12:53 AM
What does it do? I will admit, you seem to have done nothing but Jolt the whole time. Jolt is useful and all, but it's got to be boring.

Basically, -1 Spell per level and -2 to Will saves in exchange for more variety when choosing spells and feats from your Bloodline. You also gain the Bloodline Arcana and Class Skills of both bloodlines. My 1st level spell is Sleep, so I really don't have much to do as is, right now. Also: no 2nd level spells until 5th level, so I'll be severely behind the power curve for a long time.

RaggedAngel
2012-09-12, 01:10 AM
Basically, -1 Spell per level and -2 to Will saves in exchange for more variety when choosing spells and feats from your Bloodline. You also gain the Bloodline Arcana and Class Skills of both bloodlines. My 1st level spell is Sleep, so I really don't have much to do as is, right now. Also: no 2nd level spells until 5th level, so I'll be severely behind the power curve for a long time.

Um. Well. The roleplayer in me is proud of your decision to seriously gimp your character for flavor reasons.

The optimizer in me is crying a little bit.

mshady
2012-09-12, 01:17 AM
Got lightbulb?

Calenestel
2012-09-12, 01:24 AM
Unless Tius has changed things a LOT after this part you'll have plenty of enemies to put to sleep (pun intended), don't worry about it. :smallwink:

King Tius
2012-09-12, 06:32 AM
If you'd like to switch things up a bit, that's fine by me. I like how Western RPGs let you change your character's load-out before you leave the intro zone. Ultimately this is about fun so if you want to make some tweaks, I'm ok with it. A couple of caveats:

1. Let me know the changes before you make them
2. Keep it reasonable
3. If possible, keep it consistent (in this case keep Jolt if you can)
4. Changes will not retroactively affect the game.

While Cal is right about there being things to sleep, I agree that level 5 is a rough setback for second level spells, especially when sorcerers already show up late to the Fireball arms race. This goes for the rest of you as well, by the way. If you HATE your character and want to make a new one, PM me.

Goldfly
2012-09-12, 08:51 AM
Um. Well. The roleplayer in me is proud of your decision to seriously gimp your character for flavor reasons.

The optimizer in me is crying a little bit.

Yeah; it's more of a holdover from when Kitsune were in the "not normally in the campaign setting" section- A mixture of Fey and Infernal blood seemed like it could possibly explain how one could exist.

If you'd like to switch things up a bit, that's fine by me. I like how Western RPGs let you change your character's load-out before you leave the intro zone. Ultimately this is about fun so if you want to make some tweaks, I'm ok with it. A couple of caveats:

1. Let me know the changes before you make them
2. Keep it reasonable
3. If possible, keep it consistent (in this case keep Jolt if you can)
4. Changes will not retroactively affect the game.

While Cal is right about there being things to sleep, I agree that level 5 is a rough setback for second level spells, especially when sorcerers already show up late to the Fireball arms race. This goes for the rest of you as well, by the way. If you HATE your character and want to make a new one, PM me.

All I'm going to do is remove the Crossblooded aspect; she'll be Fey-bloodline. Possibly Enlarge Person as my second 1st level spell? And I'm going to move my Diplomacy skill ranks elsewhere, as Michiko no longer has it as a class skill; either Bluff or Knowledge (Arcana).

King Tius
2012-09-12, 09:04 AM
That all sounds good. Changes approved!

Calenestel
2012-09-12, 02:53 PM
Oups, ninja'd by the DM. Can we say that Kiernan and Sannah were speaking literally at the same time? :smalltongue:

Gorgon_Heap
2012-09-12, 03:03 PM
From IC:
Kiernan pipes up. "I saw some hefty magic coming off those knockers."

Inga: "Oh, sank you doctor."

Igor and the horses applaud.

King Tius
2012-09-12, 03:15 PM
Love that movie! Concurrent speech is fine. I'm a little busy on this business trip but if nobody comes up with anything to try I'll have the NPCs spring into action.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-09-12, 03:17 PM
I've just been standing around slaughtering already dead things, so now I'm Ok with arguing my CG position on the matter. Not that I intend to prolong this, but Jalaera sees no reason to continue if its just going to get us killed for no reason.

Calenestel
2012-09-13, 07:10 AM
So, I'm being called away from home for the weekend, which apparently includes the friday as well. :smalltongue: Got some work to do and an improvised visit to my in-laws. I should be back sunday evening (CET) at the latest. See you soon, guys! :smallsmile:

mshady
2012-09-13, 09:09 PM
I've just been standing around slaughtering already dead things, so now I'm Ok with arguing my CG position on the matter. Not that I intend to prolong this, but Jalaera sees no reason to continue if its just going to get us killed for no reason.

The pansy Paladin agrees ;)

King Tius
2012-09-14, 12:58 PM
Hey all. Been really busy these past few days and am headed out of town early today for a weekend getaway. I will try and get to posting IC (and to your PMs) but worst case scenario I'll have an update on Monday.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-09-14, 01:42 PM
Boooooo. You people and your having lives.

Calenestel
2012-09-16, 03:24 PM
Not a very good update on my part. But I wanted to post something to show that I'm back from my trip, and there wasn't much happening. :smallwink:

King Tius
2012-09-17, 08:23 PM
Ok I'm all set up in my hotel here in Cali. I'll be catching up on the boards as I nom on my In-n-Out Burger and watch football.

King Tius
2012-09-18, 01:16 PM
Ragged's Tolkien quote reminds me just how inexplicably excited I am for the Hobbit movies.

RaggedAngel
2012-09-18, 02:22 PM
Ragged's Tolkien quote reminds me just how inexplicably excited I am for the Hobbit movies.

:smallamused::smallbiggrin: Why do you think I quoted him?

Goldfly
2012-09-18, 04:29 PM

:smallamused::smallbiggrin: Why do you think I quoted him?

Agreed. Agreed so, so much.

King Tius
2012-09-18, 05:14 PM
Oooh, what a tempting idea. I actually ran a campaign once where the party inadvertently released a great evil and then had to learn how to reseal it. While that makes for a great arc, I have something a little different planned this time around. However, just because it isn't some great evil doesn't mean there aren't nasty things down those stairs. I'll be updating again once I get back to my hotel. I'd like to start rocking and rolling again so we can get our new player in! If at any point I take over your characters too much for the sake of moving the story along, please shout out and we will slow down/rewind. While I aim to keep a decent pace so we can get to the fun stuff and keep it interesting, this is just as much your game as it is mine.

RaggedAngel
2012-09-18, 05:29 PM
Oooh, what a tempting idea. I actually ran a campaign once where the party inadvertently released a great evil and then had to learn how to reseal it. While that makes for a great arc, I have something a little different planned this time around. However, just because it isn't some great evil doesn't mean there aren't nasty things down those stairs. I'll be updating again once I get back to my hotel. I'd like to start rocking and rolling again so we can get our new player in! If at any point I take over your characters too much for the sake of moving the story along, please shout out and we will slow down/rewind. While I aim to keep a decent pace so we can get to the fun stuff and keep it interesting, this is just as much your game as it is mine.

I think you've been doing a very excellent amount of controlling our characters. This game has been moving at a very comfortable clip, and I definitely feel in control of the action. The puzzle required a little more nudging, but you really helped us solve it without making it feel like we didn't contribute.

tl;dr: You're doing a great job.

mshady
2012-09-18, 07:38 PM
Feel free to take over Toland whenever you want. My only requirement is that he be awesome.

Just kidding!

So why is this a puzzle and not a trap? Just curious. Pretty much you walk across it, fight off everything you trigger and permanently disable it. Maybe I missed something, but there was no pattern or what not, you just had to deal with it.

Concerning Jalaera and Toland, just to clarify that Toland is a bit high handed and still getting a handle on leadership stuff. That's purely IC, not trying to be a jerk to ya on a OOC level. I actually like a little inter party drama, it adds to the dynamic.

RaggedAngel
2012-09-18, 08:09 PM
So why is this a puzzle and not a trap? Just curious. Pretty much you walk across it, fight off everything you trigger and permanently disable it. Maybe I missed something, but there was no pattern or what not, you just had to deal with it.

See, the fact that you feel that way means that Tius did a good job. That said, if you read back at the thread, a certain NPC gnome made all the bigger leaps in logic, and he was the one that put the ringers together. It was a puzzle, but it felt more like a straightforward trap-fight, for the most part, due to good DMing when we floundered. And we also definitely floundered for a while; you'll note that the post rate decreased over several days when the room was being explored and explained.

mshady
2012-09-18, 08:12 PM
Yeah, agree on everything you said there.

Actually, that was some of the best DMing I have saw in awhile and reinforces why I think King is one of the best DMs I've played with.

King Tius
2012-09-18, 10:58 PM
Traps in my mind are things like pit traps and tripwires. If Lyrie had made a single Disable Device roll, I don't think that would have been fair to just have her bypass the whole room. That being said, there are still plenty of things to use that on. I like puzzle traps because it engages the players more. Actually, in my mind, there was a way to get through this room without activating a single undead. Now, did that need to be obviously apparent to you? Of course not!

Personally, I have always hated the way traps are used in traditional DnD. Walking down a hallway with a random tripwire has its place, but I hate that every group NEEDS a rogue when they are such boring classes (to me) to play. The Pathfinder rogue is a different beast and other classes have Disable Device, so I think the focus on that has shifted, the same way that clerics no longer get stuck being walking health potions.

Your compliments, while incredibly touching, will not save you from death. Updating now!

RaggedAngel
2012-09-18, 11:30 PM
Your compliments, while incredibly touching, will not save you from death. Updating now!

Damn, you figured me out. Well played, sir. Well played.

mshady
2012-09-18, 11:54 PM
Groups without rogues are fun. I have enjoyed tripping up many a dwarf in my day :)

Calenestel
2012-09-19, 05:09 AM
I think Susannah is happily misunderstanding Demos a bit. Fun times. :smallbiggrin:

(Of course, she might be entirely right, but that doens't make it any less fun. :smalltongue:)

Gorgon_Heap
2012-09-19, 09:34 AM
Worked out well for me - Jalaera's more action-oriented than a cerebral problem-solver, and I personally have no love for puzzles. So I didn't feel forced to put thought into it.

mshady, your earlier comments regarding Jalaera and Toland are totally where I'm coming from as well. I'm doing my best to show that she's not the leader type, or much really of the fall-in-line military sort, either. She's seeing those attributes in Toland and Demos and she's letting them sort it out in the hope it'll help the group work better.

That said, and without actually coming out and saying as much in IC, she's coming across as a feisty bon vivant , but I want to show there's an undercurrent of thoughtfulness and real life experience that's otherwise lacking in this group of very young people.

King Tius
2012-09-19, 11:02 AM
If you want to have an extended conversation during the interlude, I'm all for it, but perhaps that can be done retroactively and alongside with the dungeon delving? Throw them in spoilers with your posts.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-09-19, 11:31 AM
That's a good idea. We'll see what the others think.

So... are y'all ready to get back to business?

Ayup.

King Tius
2012-09-19, 04:16 PM
So... are y'all ready to get back to business?