PDA

View Full Version : What Defines a Monster?

VGLordR2
2012-07-23, 11:41 PM
Hey, guys. I was looking at the Commoner Flaws in Dragon 330 today, and one caught my eye. The Flaw is called "Delicious". The text says that all monsters will attack you if able. I thought it would be hilarious to build an aggro character that actually works (seeing as the monsters don't get any chance to resist the effect). However, it only works against monsters. The problem is, I have no idea how to distinguish monsters from... not-monsters. Is there any solid definition out there, or do you have to figure it out on a case-by-case basis?

The Redwolf
2012-07-23, 11:45 PM
I would say you could probably just look at them and figure it out, by my definition would probably be something like anything with intelligence x or below and not an animal. Things with higher intelligence might still be monsters, but they'd be smart enough to decide not to attack you I would guess.

Andorax
2012-07-23, 11:49 PM
For the purpose of the flaw...anything with a bite attack or the ability to otherwise eat part or all of the character (Mind Flayer) as part of a normal attack?

gorfnab
2012-07-24, 12:11 AM
Delicious would be an okay flaw for rogues. If you have sneak attack, being swallowed whole by a creature isn't so bad if you can survive the damage.

Main D&D FAQ, page 114 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20030221a)

Does a character who has been swallowed whole treat
the swallowing monster as flat-footed?
The Sage thinks that’s a reasonable interpretation. The
“swallow whole” entry on page 315 of the MM indicates that
the AC of the interior of a swallowing creature has “no
modifiers for . . . Dexterity.” While this isn’t necessarily quite
the same as saying that the monster is denied its Dexterity
bonus to AC, it’s pretty close.
In addition, it certainly seems true that the swallowed
character has total concealment from (i.e., is “invisible to”) the
swallowing creature, which would allow the character to treat
the creature as flat-footed against his attacks.
Put together, this means that letting the rogue get gulped
might make an effective way to defeat a swallowing monster . .
. assuming the bite and ongoing damage doesn’t kill her.

White_Drake
2012-07-24, 12:20 AM
Everything but humans, unless you're playing second edition, where we still had a Monster Manual entry. :smallbiggrin:

Fighter1000
2012-07-24, 12:33 AM
I would say it is up to the DM to decide what is and is not a monster.
Normally, other humans wouldn't be considered monsters. But, say, the other humans are cannibals. Then this "Delicious" Flaw might work against them.

Arcane_Secrets
2012-07-24, 01:04 AM
For the purpose of the flaw...anything with a bite attack or the ability to otherwise eat part or all of the character (Mind Flayer) as part of a normal attack?

One humorous (and potentially lethal) point of this idea is that Delicious should make whoever has it into a dragon magnet.

Manly Man
2012-07-24, 01:42 AM
Glazing the elf before entering the dragon's lair actually is a viable option now.

Urpriest
2012-07-24, 11:40 AM
Everything but humans, unless you're playing second edition, where we still had a Monster Manual entry. :smallbiggrin:

This. And really, since humans get statted all over the place, humans count too. Monster is just another word for creature. This means that if the commoner is wandering around town, random people will try to eat him.

Psyren
2012-07-24, 12:01 PM
This. And really, since humans get statted all over the place, humans count too. Monster is just another word for creature. This means that if the commoner is wandering around town, random people will try to eat him.

I suddenly want to get DR/Adamantine onto a commoner.

Urpriest
2012-07-24, 12:07 PM

Mineral Warrior to the rescue?

Psyren
2012-07-24, 12:10 PM
Mineral Warrior to the rescue?

"You arrive in a village. All of the townsfolk seem perfectly ordinary, except every man, woman, child and even animal has bloody masses where their teeth should be. The majority are clustered around a single dwelling whose doors and windows are barred tightly shut."

whibla
2012-07-24, 12:18 PM

Adventurer's Rule No. 330.

Never stay in a village called Soylent Green...

Randomguy
2012-07-24, 12:27 PM
So... This flaw turns people into zombies?

Ernir
2012-07-24, 12:28 PM
Humm.

Monster check possibility A: Would you, under the correct circumstances, willingly have sex with the most attractive member of that creature's species?

Monster check possibility B: Does the creature belong to a nation or organization that can claim legal rights for it?

Warforged with Adamantine Body?

Everyone is convinced (s)he is delicious underneath that shell...

So... This flaw turns people into zombies?
It turns the person with the flaw into Sookie Stackhouse. :smalltongue:

Waker
2012-07-24, 12:39 PM
As was pointed out, there is no "official" definition for what constitutes a monster. If you want to be lazy about it (and why wouldn't you?) you could just rule that any creature that is not a humanoid or an animal is a monster.