PDA

View Full Version : Low Level Magic Jar

Milo v3
2012-07-24, 04:43 AM
Is there any way to get a Human Wizard to be able to cast Magic Jar before 9th level? And if so what is the lowest level that it can be done?

ahenobarbi
2012-07-24, 05:42 AM
Get a scroll :smallwink:

kestrel404
2012-07-24, 05:58 AM
Die.

No, seriously, die and start taking levels of the Ghost template (savage progression, here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a)). The 4th level (which should be the last level you take, since you don't have to FINISH the progression) allows you to select Malevolence as your major power - which is soul jar with even fewer restrictions, at will!

Down side: You lose out on 4 levels of spellcasting. And you're charisma dependent.
Up side: You're insanely powerful at lower levels.

BTW: You can manage this by ECL 5, although you'll only have a single d12 hit die...

Ranting Fool
2012-07-24, 06:02 AM
Doesn't scroll have a miss chance if you are too low level to cast it or something?

A wand on the other hand should be able to be used by a level 1 :smallbiggrin: all you need it enough cash to buy it and someone able to sell/make one.

mattie_p
2012-07-24, 06:37 AM
A wand on the other hand should be able to be used by a level 1 :smallbiggrin: all you need it enough cash to buy it and someone able to sell/make one.

A wand is a thin baton that contains a single spell of 4th level or lower.

Level: Sor/Wiz 5

Sorry, no wands. Custom staff maybe

Milo v3
2012-07-24, 06:38 AM
Get a scroll :smallwink:

Doesn't a scroll require high enough caster level? Also I'd have to be at least level six to afford it, and thats only if I have bascially no other gear.

Die.

No, seriously, die and start taking levels of the Ghost template (savage progression, here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a)). The 4th level (which should be the last level you take, since you don't have to FINISH the progression) allows you to select Malevolence as your major power - which is soul jar with even fewer restrictions, at will!

Down side: You lose out on 4 levels of spellcasting. And you're charisma dependent.
Up side: You're insanely powerful at lower levels.

BTW: You can manage this by ECL 5, although you'll only have a single d12 hit die...

Sadly I need to actually cast Magic Jar as part of gaining this homebrewed Lich template (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250389). Having a similiar ability will not suffice and I wont be able to become a Lich if I'm already undead.

Doesn't scroll have a miss chance if you are too low level to cast it or something?

Wands only allows for 4th level or lower spells. Magic Jar is a 5th level spell.

Milo v3
2012-07-24, 07:10 AM
Sorry, no wands. Custom staff maybe

Perhaps, but it is likely out of my price range unless someone can find a way to reduce it. And if I make one I need to be at least level 12.

Ashtagon
2012-07-24, 07:16 AM
Perhaps, but it is likely out of my price range unless someone can find a way to reduce it. And if I make one I need to be at least level 12.

More to the point, making a magic jar staff requires you to already be able to cast magic jar.

Milo v3
2012-07-24, 07:22 AM
More to the point, making a magic jar staff requires you to already be able to cast magic jar.

Touché. White Text.

nedz
2012-07-24, 11:04 AM
There are some well known cheesy shenanigans you can use to get early entry but there is no method which doesn't involve curdled milk products.

Psyren
2012-07-24, 12:53 PM
Doesn't a scroll require high enough caster level?

No - you can activate scrolls above your CL, although there is a chance of failure.

If she meets all three requirements but her own caster level is lower than the scroll spell’s caster level, then she has to make a caster level check (DC = scroll’s caster level + 1) to cast the spell successfully. If she fails, she must make a DC 5 Wisdom check to avoid a mishap (see Scroll Mishaps (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/scrolls.htm#scrollMishaps), below). A natural roll of 1 always fails, whatever the modifiers.
When a mishap occurs, the spell on the scroll has a reversed or harmful effect. Possible mishaps are given below.
*snip*

Follow the link if you're interested in the doom you're courting, but as far as using the scroll you can definitely pull that off at least.

eggs
2012-07-24, 05:16 PM
Ghostwalk allows possession from a very low level (ECL 3 is very feasible), but tacks on a big pile of restrictions (both mechanically and narratively; and the character has to at least temporarily give up the ability by ECL5 or perma-die).

Milo v3
2012-07-24, 05:35 PM
There are some well known cheesy shenanigans you can use to get early entry but there is no method which doesn't involve curdled milk products.
I'd probably be able to use some cheese for this.

No - you can activate scrolls above your CL, although there is a chance of failure.

Follow the link if you're interested in the doom you're courting, but as far as using the scroll you can definitely pull that off at least.

Looks like I'll probably use scrolls.

EDIT:
Ghostwalk allows possession from a very low level (ECL 3 is very feasible), but tacks on a big pile of restrictions (both mechanically and narratively; and the character has to at least temporarily give up the ability by ECL5 or perma-die).
I need to actually cast the spell, not just use a similiar ability.

dextercorvia
2012-07-24, 06:39 PM
2nd level is the earliest you can do it. You could have the capacity by 1st, but it would be second level before you could put the spell in your book in all likelihood.

How about you tell us the level that you would like to have it by, and we can help you get just the proper amount of chedder.

For example, if you want to be able to cast it by 7th level, then pick up Spontnaeous Divination at 5th level, and Versatile Spellcaster at 6th. Now make sure you write it in your book at 7th. Cheesy? Sure, but probably the least cheese you can get to actually be able to cast it before level 9. If you just need a casting of it, then a scroll is probably your best bet.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-24, 11:45 PM
The caster level check is only dc 10 for a scroll of magic jar. If you have a caster level at all, you've got better than 50/50 odds of success. Scrolls are, imo, the best way to get spell effects early, as long as you don't plan on spamming the daylights out of them.