PDA

View Full Version : The Bounty Book Ideas/Suggestions

Vknight
2012-07-24, 10:22 AM
Ok my group in the next session or so is to come across a 'Bounty Book'.

Here is the idea/flavor
There magic books which contain bounties from various groups on peoples heads to which Bounty Hunters can use to track down learn a bounty has already been captured and provide joint efforts.
The information can be sent out to others or kept in private.

Here is the more mechanics
These are simple magical/alchemical items, these books are made with paper that can erase ink and transcribe information.
Gems are applied to the books cover. For every 5gold pieces or so the gem is worth it can hold a page of information.
A Bounty Hunter can buy gems with listed bounties on them and apply or remove them from there book. When connected to a book any gem loses a bounty that has been turned in, as such a gem can be filled in with a new bounty.
A bounty being confirmed and the magical transfer of a person no longer being a bounty takes 1d3days for every 80miles(4days travel) the information must travel
The information contained in each page is noted abilities, crimes, what cities, nations etc want the person and if the bounty is dead or alive.
Bounty Books are expensive but very useful costing 250gold pieces for a 50page book with 5gem slots.
Any gem used for the process must be worth at least 50gold pieces.
Bounty Books can also be used to store secrets writing something and applying it to a gem, this means many bounty hunters have personal notes that vary wildly between each other.
The personal messaging reaches anyone within 100miles within 1d6minutes with a Bounty book with a corresponding bounty. For every 25miles beyond that distance it takes an additional 1d6-1minutes

So simple enough I don't know if my party will sell the book or not but any ideas for the following. Also any ideas for various criminals I could put in the book.

The specific book they found was owned by a Lvl3-4Ranger who died he was exceptionally cocky and lucky having garnished a reputation for someone 4levels higher
-Bounty Hunter slang to make private messages?
-Criminals using Bounty Books to prepare themselves?
-Various people with bounties from good men wanted in evil nations, to monsters wanted for there destruction?
-Scandal information between groups held on old gems?

Other ideas expanded ideas and NPC ideas?