PDA

View Full Version : ChaosLord's Spirit of the Century OOC

ChaosLord29
2012-07-24, 01:17 PM
This will be the OOC Thread for our game. At present it is going to be primarily devoted to the final phases of character creation for all the submitted characters, so I would like everyone to please post their character concept in the following format:

Name, Epithet

Phase I: Childhood

Content

Phase II: The Great War

Content

Phase III: Title of Debut Adventure (i.e. Roger Rox in, the Desperately Dull Demonstration!)

Post the blurb for your novel here, unspoilered, so anyone can read it readily.

Once everyone has done a completed these three stages with their character and submitted them in this format, I'll begin the process of randomly selecting who each character will be 'guest starring' with. Don't worry if that sounds confusing right now, it'll all become readily apparent once we've got things going.

ChaosLord29
2012-07-24, 01:18 PM
Reserved for Story Teller updates:

List of 'guest stars' will appear here:

Round 1:

Round 2:

Space Lawyer
2012-07-24, 01:33 PM
Walter Steel, the Übermensch, or the Spirit of Power

Phase I: Childhood:
The Stahl family immigrated from Germany in 1895, and settled in Chicago. The family had once been rich and powerful, but lost everything due to bad investments and the machinations of business rivals. Walter's father, Wilhelm, became increasingly tired of his own father's rants about the glory days of the family, and emigrated with young wife. On January 1, 1900, Walter was born, given an English name to celebrate the family's life in America.
Despite having left Germany (Prussia, to be exact), Wilhelm still believed that the ways of discipline and excellence in all things was the best way to teach his children. Each of the three children (Walter, Oswald, and Mary) were told to find someone they admired, and to emulate the traits they found admirable in that person. Walter could think of no better person than the President, Theodore Roosevelt. Following his role model, he began to practice boxing, educated himself on a wide range of subjects, from zoology to military history, and worked himself to the bone on anything he set his mind to.
His moral fiber was not neglected in these studies. Walter developed a reputation for being assiduously honest, and for acting upon a moral code that, while not always in perfect agreement with the law, always turned out to be the morally correct action. He would assault men in the street, only for it later to be determined that those same men had committed crimes earlier that day. Once, he set a building on fire (while it was uninhabited, of course). Upon entering the building, the firefighters found a counterfeiting operation, which the police had been paid off not to investigate or report to the Secret Service.

Aspects: From Humble Origins, Stiff Moral Fiber

Phase II: The Great War:
When the Great War broke out, the family realized the danger in having a German last name, and changed their name to Steel. Walter attempted to sneak away and enlist, but was unsuccessful. Walter's parents were fearful that he would try again and again until he succeeded, so great was the boy's love for adventure and action. Luckily, Walter's record of excellence in all things had caught the attention of an elite private boarding school. Walter's parents were glad to have somewhere to send the boy, and Walter saw an opportunity for personal growth he could not experience elsewhere.
Though he was the school's "charity case", he quickly became a leader. Many of the students liked the young man, but there was one in particular that could not abide this young upstart. Christopher Pope IV was the scion of a proud family, with origins reaching back into antiquity. The family was ennobled in not just one European country, but several, thanks to clever intermarriage. Christopher was in the same year as Walter, but had already established a network of contacts and reputation for being a boy no one wanted to mess with by the time he got to school. When Walter arrived, Christopher saw the new boy as nothing but street scum, risen above his station. At first, he simply sought to have Walter thrashed, which turned out badly for the boys that tried. It turned out even worse for Christopher when, instead of holding a grudge against his assailants, Walter helped them to their feet, and would talk with them about why they would do such a thing. To a man, they were one over by Walter's charm, and would no longer live in fear of Christopher. Having failed through violence, Christopher attempted to have Walter fail academically, showing that something like that could not compete with those that had risen to the top as befitted their noble blood. Teachers were pushed to grade Walter more harshly, to assign harsher penalties, and to generally make Walter's life unpleasant. Walter came through with aplomb. He simply redoubled his studies, shooting to the top of the class, and weathering any punishments. He once got a question wrong in class, and stood in the corner with the dunce cap on for the the rest of the day, almost five hours. He did not move once. The teachers realized that he could not be stopped, and were also drawn to Walter's side. Walter continued to crush Christopher in every competition, from rowing to debate.
Walter's time at the school was the shaping force of his life. It was here that he rubbed shoulders with many of the country's elite. He became fast friends with many of them, and through them was exposed to other countries (getting the opportunity to take trips with his new friends), the power of wealth (he saw just what money could do to people), and more. Instead of fighting the war, he met the people who directed it, and who would pull the levers of power for many years to come. He also meets the love of his life, Samantha Holden. The younger sister of one of Walter's closest friends, Samuel, she captivates Walter at first meeting.

Aspects: True Nobility/Leader of Leaders, Diamonds Form Under Pressure

Walter Steel and the Temple of Doom!
When Walter learns that Samantha has been kidnapped, he must race off to South America to save her! The nefarious noble Christopher Pope has a plan to use the blood of the innocent woman to turn back the clock on this age of progress, for by what right are commoners to govern themselves?
Walter finds himself first journeying up the Amazon River. When his guides leave him in the middle of the night, Walter must continue the journey on his own, hacking through the jungle, fighting off savage beasts and fearsome natives. He comes upon the temple of Huitzilopochtli, only minutes before the ceremony is to be completed. He fights his way through to the inner sanctum of the temple, and there confronts his old nemesis Christopher. The man is not alone though, as an avatar of Tezcatlipoca has come down to help, wishing to see those who truly deserve to rule, those of royal and noble blood, retain their rightful place. Even Walter is unable to find victory over the might of a god. Rather than see his love sacrificed, Walter prostrates himself, and offers himself up in her place. It is at this moment Tezcatlipoca betrays Christopher, and flings the spiteful man away.
"There are few mortals who could have found their way here. Even fewer would have offered themselves up as a sacrifice. Only you would have had the humility to recognize when you were beaten, and to temper your greatness." The god touches Walter on the brow. There are no mortal words to describe the pain Walter felt as this deific power coursed through him, burning away his doubts and fears, removing the limits he had placed on himself so as not to exceed the bounds of humanity. He had not realized what kind of power lay inside him. "You are a Spirit of the Century. You are the Triumph of Progress, Might Undeterred, the Righteous Will, the Übermensch"

Aspects: Übermensch, Ultimate Sacrifice

shugyosha
2012-07-24, 01:48 PM
Ted Chor, AKA: The Sapphire Scarab

http://www.ramonperez.com/v1/exhibit/2010-02-22-black_beetle.jpg

This is the best I could find. Personally I imagine changing the red to a deep blue, but I don't have photoshop anymore.

Childhood

Ted was put in an orphanage soon after his birth by his white mother. She was a missionary who bore a mixed race child out of wedlock, the shame she felt made her leave Vietnam soon after.

During one of his journeys to the orient Dan Garret found this remarkable boy. He built a windmill out of bicycle parts to pump water for his orphanage. So impressed Dan adopted the boy, Ted Chor, and made him is ward. Dan educated the boy in engineering and ways of a good English Gentleman. It didn’t take long before Ted’s natural instinct took off and he was showing Dan new innovations.

Dan was an industrialist with a passion for archeology. He took Ted with him from one exotic place to another. Ted lived a life of adventure with Dan as they traveled the world. His schoolroom was the world and Dan turned out to be an excellent teacher.

It was in India at the excavation of temple of Scared Scarab where Dan’s life changed forever. Getting to the deepest chamber was harrowing. If it wasn’t for Ted’s quick thinking and ingenuity several traps would have ended their lives. The young boy was able to disarm them. The final chamber had a vault that took some doing to unlock. In there was the greatest treasure Dan had ever seen: they found the Khaji Da, the Scarab.

Aspects:
Master Tinkerer
“That reminds me of the time…”

The Great War

During the War Dan used the Scarab and its mystical powers to help spy for His Majesty, his code name Sapphire Scarab. Ted was his trusted sidekick helping out in the adventures with his quick wit and fast fists. It was here that Ted honed his skills as a man of mystery.

They foiled many plots together but Duke Verheiden’s shadow was at every turn. The Duke, a major noble and trusted ally to the Kaiser, oversaw the western front. Dan and Ted became the ire of the Duke who promised vengeance time and time again. Dan had always told Ted that the secret to success was careful planning: “Have a plan with many options; have a plan ‘B’; have and exit strategy...”

However, it was also a dark time for the pair. While the Scarab granted Dan improved physical abilities, it slowly empowered Dan’s darker impulses. It all came to a head in Berlin, Dan had found a way to end the Kaiser’s march west but instead Dan was going to use it to claim power for himself. Dan laughed call this is ultimate “Plan B”. In the end Ted had his own plan ‘B’ and was forced to kill Dan and take the Scarab.

Aspects:
“For King and country”
Always has a plan

Cult of the Scarlet Beetle Conspiracy

The war ended Ted returned home from abroad only to find himself defending claims to Dan Garret’s massive fortune as well as accusations that he had intentionally murdered Dan for the inheritance. Ted let his executor handle that as he pursued a more leisure life as a playboy and inventor.

That all came to a stop when the Cult of the Scarlet Beetle caught up to him. Ted uncovered their conspiracy to control the Dutch monarchy and assassinate Lord Bennington. Deciding that he must do something, Ted dons the identity of the Sapphire Scarab, using the Khaji Da as a mystical power source for his high tech inventions instead of directly using it, Ted hopes to circumvent his mentor’s fate.

Aspect:
Inheritor of the Sapphire Scarab Mantle/Keeper of the Khaji Da
Occult Engineer

Squared
2012-07-24, 11:51 PM
Julie aka Cielia, The Spirit of Audacity

Aspects:
Life of the Party
Ran Away to Join the Circus
Fury of Brassy Wing
International Woman of Mystery
The Ghost of Taksim
Thrill of the Chase

Childhood
Julie was born illigitamatly to a common servant girl in Cairo. Her mother died when she was born and her father, a well-to-do British officer took her in as his ward. She traveled extensively and had a good education, including many languages, though her social standing was always in question. Despite her ambiguous social standing she still managed to be the life of any party that she attended.

On her 15th birthday Julie snuck out of the house to go and see the circus that was in town. There she met a boy and the next day when the circus left town she went with it. She never looked back on her impulsive decision, deciding to always look to the future. Julie wrote several letters to her father to let him know that she was all right.

After some training and hard work she entered the ring as the Audacious Julie with her high-wire act. Her fearlessness entertained many a crowd.

The Great War
The war seemed so far away and she barely paid any attention to it but eventually the circus was called upon to entertain the troops. Spotting her father, now a colonel in the British Royal Army, in the audience she rushed to meet him and they were reunited.

She left the circus and soon fell in love with a handsome young leutenant combat pilot. Their romance did not last long though as he was shot down over the front lines in the same battle that also killed her father.

Julia's response to this was fury and wanting revenge she set out to become a fighter pilot. The obvious problem being that she was a girl. A clever disguise later and some quick talking and she managed to join the Royal Air Force as Cecil Devonshire. Taking to the skys with glee she was soon known as Brassy Wing for her fearless flying style. Her skill in the air quickly culminated in getting five confirmed kills and the title of ace. This was quickly covered up when she was found celebrating with one of the other pilots.

Her house arrest was brief as the Secret Service Bureau decided it had a better use for someone who was so good with disguises. Smuggled into Germany, now as Carla, she soon befriended and then fell in love with the daughter of a German Army general. With those connections and her quick wit she was soon smuggling information out of Germany. This was in the later days of the war. As the war drew to a close she decided to escape with her lover to Vienna where she found a job as a nightclub singer.

A Murder in Istanbul
After parting ways with the generals daughter and finding that the situation in Vienna was worsening she moved to Istanbul, again as a nightclub singer.

Finding it a bit difficult to make ends meet and seeing so many rich women with expensive jewlry she set about planning a burglery. Finding it easier than she had thought she didn't hesitate to do it again. She soon gained a reputation as the Ghost of Taksim.

The Ghost of Taksim soon gained a heroic reputation with the locals as she only seemed to target rich foreigners and those seen as occupiers of the city. Mysterious donations showed up at the doors of several orphanages around the city fueling rumors about a Turkish Robin Hood.

Then Julia met a handsome police inspector who she had a firey romance with. She soon discovered that he was searching for the Ghost of Taksim. Things only got worse when the Ghost of Taksim stumbled upon a murder scene and was spotted fleeing the scene. The police were now after a murderer. But Julia knew better and knew that only by catching the killer could she clear the Ghost's name.

After an extensive investigation, behind her lovers back, a running gun battle and a final stand-off Julia managed to clear the Ghost of Taksim's name but only after outting herself. Her police inspector gave her a head start and she caught a steamer for the States.

Drugged dwarf
2012-07-26, 08:04 AM
Name, Epithet: Tiike Tundra (Bright sun Wolf) of the Muscogee. The Spirit of Yesterday
http://i.imgur.com/JEwCI.jpg

Phase I: Childhood

Content

Phase II: The Great War

Content

Phase III: Title of Debut Adventure (i.e. Roger Rox in, the Desperately Dull Demonstration!)

LoP
2012-07-26, 01:16 PM
SOOO sorry guys! I'm a noob to how this forum works, and I apparently didn't subscribe to threads I thought I did (and was expecting e-mails from). I also don't get alerted to private messages, apparently... Still interested in this, but my week is rediculous right now... prob won't be able to work on this till Saturday!:smallfrown:

Melanie Method, the Two-Fisted Traveller from the Twenty-First Century!

http://i.imgur.com/fsd4dl.png

Phase 1: Background

Melanie "Mel" Method was (will be?) born January 1, 2001, the daughter of a particle physicist, Dr. Monica Method. Mel was a spunky, smart, athletic, energetic girl, who was equally comfortable with her nose in a book, chasing away (or beating up) bullies on the jungle gym, or playing video games and surfing the Interwebz. She was often bored at school because she found most subjects easy, and wasn't above acting out and getting into trouble.

In 2013, Dr. Monica Method dragged a 12-year old Mel along with her to the Large Hadron Collider, near Geneva, Switzerland, where she was doing Higgs boson research. A freak particle accelerator mishap resulted in a tear in time - and Mel was sucked in!

She found herself in the laboratory of action scientist and Centurion Dr. Richard Rover - in Washington, DC, in the year 1913 of a parallel, weirder timeline!

Aspects:
- Traveller from the Twenty-First Century
- "Too easy, this is boring!"

Phase II: War

Dr. Rover took the time-lost girl in, promising to do his best to return her to her own timeline; meanwhile, she became his research assistant (and research subject), and her stories about the 21st century inspired a lot of Dr. Rover's futuristic research projects.

Not too long after Mel's dramatic appearance in the 20th century, the Great War broke out. While neither Dr. Rover nor Mel were involved in the conflict, the Century Club called upon the old but hearty Dr. Rover to counter the nefarious machinations of Shadow Centurions seeking to profit from the war. Despite being only a teenager, Mel was right there as his trusty assistant, learning how to apply science(!) and to think on her feet.

Plan after villainous plan were foiled by the aging Dr. Rover and his sidekick from the 21st century; once the Great War was resolved and things calmed down, Dr. Rover inducted Mel into the Century Club as his successor and settled in for a well deserved retirement.

Aspects:
- "I've been doing this since I was a kid!"
- "Dr. Rover taught me science is action!"

Phase III: Mel Method and the Methods of Madness!

WIP

ChaosLord29
2012-07-26, 01:28 PM
SOOO sorry guys! I'm a noob to how this forum works, and I apparently didn't subscribe to threads I thought I did (and was expecting e-mails from). I also don't get alerted to private messages, apparently... Still interested in this, but my week is rediculous right now... prob won't be able to work on this till Saturday!:smallfrown:

Don't worry about it LoP, it's not a big deal at present, there's other people still working on their character's as well. We're just glad to have you with us.

shugyosha
2012-08-01, 11:27 AM
There was a post of interest in the recruiting thread. Since we really haven't started the integration of characters I thought you might like to have another player.

Drugged dwarf
2012-08-01, 12:13 PM
All good by me!

ChaosLord29
2012-08-01, 12:15 PM
I saw that as well, but seeing as we already have 5 characters and one of the other characters from the recruitment thread said she would still be interested, I was going to wait on accepting them. We've been in private message contact.

Space Lawyer
2012-08-06, 12:20 PM
Is this still happening, or have we abandoned the century to our Shadows?

Squared
2012-08-06, 05:06 PM
:/ Hopefully not. What, or who exactly are we waiting on anyways?

shugyosha
2012-08-13, 09:28 AM
Not sure if we are waiting on anyone in specific.

I'm really looking forward to this, if it ever gets off the ground.