PDA

View Full Version : Goblin Barbarian Concept Help

hoosier03
2012-07-24, 01:38 PM
So my friends and I are gearing up for a new campaign soon, we will be stepping into the role of an all goblin party. (no relation to the 'We be Goblins' pathfinder module) This will be in a homebrewed setting not of our creation, so none of us are all too familiar with it.

So far we have a Goblin Barbarian (myself), a Goblin Rogue, and a Goblin Druid. We expect another 2-3 players before we're done. (3.5 Rules)

In this setting, all of the goblinoid races except the goblins themselves have been hunted to extinction by Kobolds. The primary races of the region are Dueregar, Humans, Elves, and Goblins. Goblins have established an uneasy friendship with the humans of the area, and the goblins have even begun to imitate some of the cultural customs.

Also keep in mind that this campaign will take place mostly in the frozen north.

So I guess my question is this;

Can anybody help me think of any good hooks for this type of character?

I'd like to play up the goblin-ness of the character, and how that differentiates itself from a tradional Barbarian.

I.e. He isn't a muscle-bound conan the barbarian, instead he's a 3 foot tall angry bastard. (Tyrion Lannister?)

Any ideas?

kitcik
2012-07-24, 02:19 PM
Feral template.

The Redwolf
2012-07-24, 02:42 PM
If you could justify being a goblinoid rather than a normal goblin you could try a hobgoblin. That would set you apart from the party and I believe they have better stats, although there may be an LA there I can't remember. I would say a good thing to do would be give him something that he really focuses on as a goal, like on a larger scale then the usual character motivation to do the given storyline. Give him a hatred of bunnies, so everywhere you go he's always searching for bunnies and attacking them, asking people if there are bunnies around that need to be exterminated, heck take the trophy collector feat and make a bunny trophy just for laughs. Obviously that isn't likely to be what you want to do, although it would be awesome, but something of that sort would be my recommendation, because it helps to set you apart and give your character something to do other than care only about the storyline.

VGLordR2
2012-07-24, 02:51 PM
I know that you said that the other Goblinoid races have been hunted down, but your DM just might let a Dolgrim through. Dolgrims have LA +1, and they are two goblins that have been magically mashed into one ugly body. With two mouths, four arms, and two brains, these things practically roleplay themselves. It's absolutely hilarious when they have conflicting personalities.

Ravens_cry
2012-07-24, 02:56 PM
A small race with +2 Strength? Neat!

Gwendol
2012-07-24, 04:28 PM
Whirling frenzy barbarian using TWF and pounce will likely take care of the mechanics of the build. Also, I'd take a look at the decanter goblins.

Darrin
2012-07-25, 06:40 AM
Are sub-races available?

Air Goblin (Unearthed Arcana): -2 Str, +4 Dex, -2 Con
One of the few that gets balanced attribute mods. Also gets Breathless (Ex) which makes you immune to suffocation, drowning, and most inhaled poisons. A great candidate for Dragonborn of Bahumat, and although they lose Breathless (Ex), it's the only LA +0 Dragonborn option that still nets a Dex bonus.

Bhuka (Sandstorm): -2 Str, +2 Dex
The only other balanced attributes option at LA +0. Unfortunately, it's medium-sized, which doesn't fit your "small barbarian" concept, but on the other hand, a goblin with Heat Endurance and a racial ability to detect water in an arctic-themed campaign could be highly amusing.

Forestkith Goblin (MM3, LA +1): +2 Dex, -2 Int
Balanced attributes, favored class barbarian, and fits your concept very well. Unfortunately, it's LA +1. Then again, it can turn into a tree.

Jungle Goblin (Unearthed Arcana): -2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Cha
Another subrace with favored class: barbarian. Worth considering to pick up the 20' Climb speed with no LA (Snow Goblins in Frostburn get a similar Climb speed, but have to pay LA +1 for it).

Vril (Drow of the Underdark): +2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Cha
Sort of a sonic-based variant... and also favored class barbarian. Unfortunately, their two signature abilities, skinshift and shriek, were left out of the book. You can get the details in the errata (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20070504a), though.